Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Vargs posted:

Didn't he send this stuff to individuals literally for free, and the price increase was only for insurance companies?

Yes, which is the message he should have been focusing on, but you really had to twist his arm to get him to go with that message instead of the trolling facade.

lol but seriously I posted:

You tried to help the shameful drugs man?

I don't remember the exact circumstances where I found myself inside his social network but once I did I was like "so why aren't you saying that to the media" after basically everything he said. His line of thought was that they wouldn't believe/accept it which is probably partially true but when you're facing prison you should at least try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

*Peter greets you at the pearly gates*

So my son, did you spend your time wisely on earth in service of all that is good and just?

Yeah I tried to help a scamming low grade troll with his public image on the internet so pop that lock open bitcj

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I can relate but he just didn't know where to stop. I talked to him one on one a few times and I and several other people tried to tell him to tone it down but being genuine just isn't his thing.

why would you try to do anything good for one of the worst fuckers alive? lmfao wtf

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Smythe posted:

why would you try to do anything good for one of the worst fuckers alive? lmfao wtf

how often do you get to talk to someone as rich as that? If you could turn them they could actually do good things instead of trolling the united states congress and going to prison.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

how often do you get to talk to someone as rich as that? If you could turn them they could actually do good things instead of trolling the united states congress and going to prison.

Generally people who have a concept of right and wrong don't get rich by loving over people who will die without medicine.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Smythe posted:

this might come as a shock to you but there is more to him than his crimes. i don't particularly like the guy but even i'll admit he's an interesting character who actually knows about stuff

i base this opinion off watching his livestream for a few hours the last time he was in the news

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Generally people who have a concept of right and wrong don't get rich by loving over people who will die without medicine.

They've never been able to find an example of someone who needed daraprim but couldn't get it as a result of the price hike.

But it's irrelevant because that's not what he went to prison for, it's just what the public hates him for based on sensationalized stories that he poured gasoline on because that's just what he does.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

he is one evil motherfucker and if you defend him congrats, you're an rear end in a top hat and nobody likes you

They've never been able to find an example of someone who needed daraprim but couldn't get it as a result of the price hike.

But it's irrelevant because that's not what he went to prison for, it's just what the public hates him for based on sensationalized stories that he poured gasoline on because that's just what he does.

case in point. do you have even one friend who can tolerate your lovely personality?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

It isn't irrelevant, because he brought his public troll persona that he spent so much time and effort to cultivate into the courtroom. He would have probably gotten probation if it weren't for all of the contributing factors that the public hates him for, and the primary reason that the public hates him is because he encouraged them to, as you say.

Also it's weird to me that you're being like, "Come on, nobody died that we can prove, he's not such a bad guy for bare-minimum extorting insurance companies that will pass that cost on to the rest of us."

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
I have nothing against him. 7 years inside is no joke. Especially for someone who gave away expensive aids medication to the needy.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

It's a sad day when we give someone five extra years for bei g a douchebag troll

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Could
You talk his record label into signing my band?

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Even his prestigious lawyer wants to punch him in the face. RIP Shkreli

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

It isn't irrelevant, because he brought his public troll persona that he spent so much time and effort to cultivate into the courtroom. He would have probably gotten probation if it weren't for all of the contributing factors that the public hates him for, and the primary reason that the public hates him is because he encouraged them to, as you say.

Also it's weird to me that you're being like, "Come on, nobody died that we can prove, he's not such a bad guy for bare-minimum extorting insurance companies that will pass that cost on to the rest of us."

I could try and explain why you're wrong and are just eating up the media's take on the story but it's not relevant, he's in prison, he didn't take anyone's advice, and he's basically a nobody for the rest of his life so there's no sense in defending him.

also insurance companies deserve to be extorted. If you claim to hate capitalism so much they should be enemy #1.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

Especially for someone who gave away expensive aids medication to the needy.

It actually wasn't AIDS medication.

It was for side conditions caused as a result of a weakened immune system, and certain parasitic diseases like toxoplasmosis.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tallgeese posted:

It was for side conditions caused as a result of a weakened immune system, and certain parasitic diseases like toxoplasmosis.

Don't bother, the news said it was aids medicine and they will just dismiss the facts because a talking head with an official news logo next to it didn't tell it to them.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tallgeese posted:

certain parasitic diseases like toxoplasmosis.

Skeli going to jail means the crazy cat lady population is going to explode, imagine a Pick at every street corner.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tallgeese posted:

Also don't forget daraprim is a very old medicine with very serious side effects that hasn't been updated for a very long time and the money from the price hike went into research to treat such rare diseases better. But nobody wants to hear that because it's easier to hate the douche who spends millions on wutang albums.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Yeah I eat rear end seems reasonable and like he knows what he's talking about

Also he's not saying poo poo like "noooo don't provoke the scary insurance companies they'll take it out on us"

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

He's giving away medication. That's good enough for me

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

I could try and explain why you're wrong and are just eating up the media's take on the story but it's not relevant, he's in prison, he didn't take anyone's advice, and he's basically a nobody for the rest of his life so there's no sense in defending him.

also insurance companies deserve to be extorted. If you claim to hate capitalism so much they should be enemy #1.

Christ you're tedious.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The guy is an rear end in a top hat for sure. Does he deserve his sentence? Who cares.

It's funny to watch the little bitch cry at his first taste of accountability.

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
He basically did everything he could to get sentenced to prison. I have zero sympathy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
*extremely wealthy over privileged hedge fund manager busts his rear end to make everyone hate his guts, succeeds wildly, gets sent to the pokey for wire fraud* Its really a tragedy, any one of us could have ended up in his shoes :shrug:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

you all rejoice at his sentence but will go on oblivious to the fact that basically everyone else in that community is at best the same as him and at worst 100 times worse than him, they jsut have better filters/lawyers. He is a scapegoat. The problem is still there and will only get worse.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

“I wish that the United States administration never manipulate people like myself in the future to commit crimes against financial investors.” - Martin Shkreli

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

you all rejoice at his sentence but will go on oblivious to the fact that basically everyone else in that community is at best the same as him and at worst 100 times worse than him, they jsut have better filters/lawyers. He is a scapegoat. The problem is still there and will only get worse.

So lets play counterfactual. Young shithead does not go to prison and then....

SammichBacon
Nov 11, 2013

Hope he needs meds and then gets gouged 10,000%.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

quote:

He never seemed to take his case seriously, meeting with federal authorities without a lawyer, making faces during testimony, calling the prosecution “junior varsity” and reading a book during final statements.

Jurors convicted Mr. Shkreli of three of the eight counts: securities fraud in connection with his hedge fund MSMB Capital; securities fraud in connection with MSMB Healthcare; and conspiracy to commit securities fraud related to the Retrophin stock scheme, in which he tried to quietly control a huge portion of Retrophin stock.

that poor man :ohdear:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

lol but seriously I posted:

So lets play counterfactual. Young shithead does not go to prison and then....

Martin deserves to go to prison. I'm not disputing that. My issue is that everyone is wiping their hands and saying "there, we solved it" because they caught a small fish instead of using him to get to the core of the problem and taking the whole industry down.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's pretty funny that even with him acting in the complete worst way possible he still didn't get the max sentence

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

SammichBacon posted:

Hope he needs meds and then gets gouged 10,000%.

he could still afford it

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.
Shkreli will do fine mentoring gangsters in club fed

unironically:

Cumfartcocktails posted:

All great leaders spent some time in jail. Mandela, MLK, Gandhi, and now my prince. He will return from this sentence ready to bring prosperity and liberty to us all.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Liberals: prison industrial complex is terrible and should be changed.

Also liberals: I HOPE THIS gently caress BOI GETS RAPED AND STABBED IN PRISON!!!!!!!

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
Jesus, dude, did he buy you flowers?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Liberals: prison industrial complex is terrible and should be changed.

Also liberals: I HOPE THIS gently caress BOI GETS RAPED AND STABBED IN PRISON!!!!!!!

It's amazing how you are able to tap into the liberal hive mind so effectively

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
lol at the idea that this guy is going to end up in gen. pop with the regular criminals

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Node posted:

It's amazing how you are able to tap into the liberal hive mind so effectively

It’s not so tough :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Offering 5k to people to assault a presidential candidate and former First Lady, in my opinion, was probably a poor idea. Not something I would’ve done. But that’s me.

• Locked thread