Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

There is absolutely no evidence that this is taking place. It still costs $750 to this day, there are no announced alternatives, and there is a paper trail where he called this a billion dollar idea and said that it would be a very handsome investment for everyone.

It costs $1 to make.

Nothing about his statement is accurate, and this is why we get so frustrated with conservatives. You just take these conmen at their word and don't actually look at anything they're doing.

The second line is true of a whole lot of expensive pills, I am not sure why I have to specially care about this one beyond my usual impotent rage at the pharmaceutical industry.

Way to act like not everyone is susceptible to conmen. I see no reason the first paragraph and what eat rear end said cannot be true at the same time. You want to assume it is false because it fits your viewpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I am glad he got a prison sentence, IMO.

Woden
May 6, 2006
To make a generic you need to prove that what you're making is "bio-equivalent" to what's already approved, Shkreli stopped selling to wholesalers and pharmacies so it'd be a lot harder for anyone that can make generics getting access.

Woden fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 10, 2018

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

The second line is true of a whole lot of expensive pills, I am not sure why I have to specially care about this one beyond my usual impotent rage at the pharmaceutical industry.

Way to act like not everyone is susceptible to conmen. I see no reason the first paragraph and what eat rear end said cannot be true at the same time. You want to assume it is false because it fits your viewpoint.

What's more likely, the guy that everyone hates and is in prison for fraud bought his way into a monopoly and price gouged, or that this was a necessary evil for him to help people in the long run?

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
This guy is an abrasive rear end in a top hat, but he’s obviously just a sacrifice. Same thing with Bernie Madoff.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Dubplate Fire posted:

This guy is an abrasive rear end in a top hat, but he’s obviously just a sacrifice. Same thing with Bernie Madoff.

I doubt there's some Deep State conspiracy behind it, he just pissed off a lot of wealthy people and he didn't have enough friends to pull strings for him. He also severely pissed off the judge in their own courtroom and they are essentially dictators there.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

What's more likely, the guy that everyone hates and is in prison for fraud bought his way into a monopoly and price gouged, or that this was a necessary evil for him to help people in the long run?

This seems to be a false dichotomy. I see no reason that A cannot be completely true, while the notion that a new thing is being developed has to be automatically false.

Hell, if anything your second half is a strawman. Who said anything about a necessary evil?

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

He’s in trouble for lying to rich investors. Not price gouging the aids medicine.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dubplate Fire posted:

He’s in trouble for lying to rich investors. Not price gouging the aids medicine.

Again: It's not actually AIDS medicine. That line was used to drum up emotional animus.

He absolutely committed a crime. The issue is unequal enforcement that only occurred because of who he made mad.

Like, yes, Bernie Madoff.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

[quote="“Gumbel2Gumbel”" post="“482033342”"]
I doubt there’s some Deep State conspiracy behind it, he just pissed off a lot of wealthy people and he didn’t have enough friends to pull strings for him. He also severely pissed off the judge in their own courtroom and they are essentially dictators there.
[/quote]

I never said anything about the deep state. This is just money.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dubplate Fire posted:

I never said anything about the deep state. This is just money.

Gumbel, I do hope you realize from this post that you make really unnecessary leaps in reasoning.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

[quote="“Tallgeese”" post="“482033375”"]
Again: It’s not actually AIDS medicine. That line was used to drum up emotional animus.

He absolutely committed a crime. The issue is unequal enforcement that only occurred because of who he made mad.

Like, yes, Bernie Madoff.
[/quote]

I was saying aids medicine so the neoliberal would understand what I was saying.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
"it should be impossible to enjoy anything because (and let me remind you): there is still injustice in the world" -caped crusaders of the forums, 2018

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Gumbel, I do hope you realize from this post that you make really unnecessary leaps in reasoning.

Sacrifice isn't the right word here, then.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Hello MAGA friends how are you this fine day

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Sacrifice isn't the right word here, then.

I'm not really sure how the word "sacrifice" automatically implies an invocation of deep state.

The concept of "making an example" is not exactly unheard of.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lmao at taking the corporatist arguments serious. Valeant got famous for spending exceptionally little on research and development and firing researchers as soon as they acquire a new company. they are just vultures feasting on the corpses of real pharma companies and the money from the price hikes was going into the pockets of rich immoral assholes and nowhere else.

this piece of poo poo committed investment fraud and got 7 years for it. what's not to celebrate here? you can argue that some laws are unjust(like when someone is going to prison for a gram of weed), but this is hardly the case here. gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

e:

lol

"Valeant is known for buying companies and laying off their employees to achieve savings, while accumulating a debt of about $30 billion. It spends an amount equivalent to only 3% of its sales on research and development, which it views as risky and inefficient compared with buying existing drugs. Traditional big drug companies spend 15 to 20% of sales on research and development. Valeant also pays extremely low taxes because it is officially based in Canada, although Mr. Pearson operates from New Jersey"

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 10, 2018

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

I actually worked with these kind of people for a summer. I went to school for finance and shadowed at credit suisse. I dropped out of college after that summer because I felt that dealing drugs was more ethical. I have a pretty good idea of what happened here and you all are falling for it hook line and sinker. This guy is the perfect sacrifice because he’s such a douchebag.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

[quote="“Gumbel2Gumbel”" post="“482033495”"]
Sacrifice isn’t the right word here, then.
[/quote]

They are throwing one of their own to the wolves to appease the masses.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dubplate Fire posted:

I actually worked with these kind of people for a summer. I went to school for finance and shadowed at credit suisse. I dropped out of college after that summer because I felt that dealing drugs was more ethical. I have a pretty good idea of what happened here and you all are falling for it hook line and sinker. This guy is the perfect sacrifice because he’s such a douchebag.

You're referring to the pharmaskeletons site he put up, aren't you?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dubplate Fire posted:

I fundamentally disagree with the notion that other pharmaceutical executives ever considered him one of their own. He grew up poor, he did not come from the same social circles.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

gary oldmans diary posted:

if the money from price gouging medicine went into research where did the millions for wu tank albums come from? it could take seconds or even minutes for someone with a fully functioning brain to solve that mystery. better put the coffee on

I mean... It's not like he deposited money from the price hike straight into his bank. Obviously it was purchased with the bonuses he received afterwards.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

[quote="“Tallgeese”" post="“482033619”"]
You’re referring to the pharmaskeletons site he put up, aren’t you?
[/quote]

I forgot about that. I don’t know much about pharmaceutical companies, I know enough about how the financial sector operates to see what’s happening here.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

oh no, i was going to vote for a progressive candidate who wants to better regulate the finance industry and advocates for universal healthcare but now I've seen Martin Shkreli be convicted and I'm appeased and I no longer hold sane political opinions. the corpororte overlords won, the scapegoat appeased me

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

oh no, i was going to vote for a progressive candidate who wants to better regulate the finance industry and advocates for universal healthcare but now I've seen Martin Shkreli be convicted and I'm appeased and I no longer hold sane political opinions. the corpororte overlords won, the scapegoat appeased me
nooooooOOoooo!

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

He’s in trouble for defrauding investors related to a hedge fund. A loving hedge fund (which should be illegal imo). Hedge funds make money for rich people and indirectly cause hardship for regular people. Also you can’t invest in one unless you are already rich, by law.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

[quote="“Raspberry Jam It In Me”" post="“482033744”"]
oh no, i was going to vote for a progressive candidate who wants to better regulate the finance industry and advocates for universal healthcare but now I’ve seen Martin Shkreli be convicted and I’m appeased and I no longer hold sane political opinions. the corpororte overlords won, the scapegoat appeased me
[/quote]

This guy gets it

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Dubplate Fire posted:

I mean, it could have happened (I don't think so) but if there was push back from pharmaceutical companies I think we would have seen 2-3 generics/alternatives pop up like what happened with the Epi-pen price gouging.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

[quote="“Gumbel2Gumbel”" post="“482033840”"]
I mean, it could have happened (I don’t think so) but if there was push back from pharmaceutical companies I think we would have seen 2-3 generics/alternatives pop up like what happened with the Epi-pen price gouging.
[/quote]

Dude this is not about pharmaceuticals. It’s about a hedge fund.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I mean, it could have happened (I don't think so) but if there was push back from pharmaceutical companies I think we would have seen 2-3 generics/alternatives pop up like what happened with the Epi-pen price gouging.

He's saying he pissed off finance guys, not pharmaceutical guys.

I don't see why it can't be both, but eh.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Dubplate Fire posted:

Dude this is not about pharmaceuticals. It’s about a hedge fund.
people are talking about the wrong thing to talk about :argh:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

He's saying he pissed off finance guys, not pharmaceutical guys.

I don't see why it can't be both, but eh.

Oh yeah most definitely. I don't think it was an appease the masses thing I think it was a "this guy hosed us over" thing.

People who steal from rich people go to jail, people who steal from poor people get slaps on the wrist or some mild fines.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Why do people keep yelling that he's a sacrifice

We already know

We also want everyone else to go down in flames

Argument over

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Martin shkreli is a p cool guy. Eh kills cancer patients and doesnt afraid of anything

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
until someone is willing to go chris dorner on these people we are just going to have to settle for and take pleasure in the occasional ones that go to prison

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

[quote="“gary oldmans diary”" post="“482033897”"]
people are talking about the wrong thing to talk about :argh:
[/quote]

I’m talking about why he’s in trouble. You can talk about anything you want. He’s being prosecuted because he lied to rich people, not because he jacked up medicine prices. Someone conveniently had that story published months before his (unrelated) arrest. These guys can have stories printed to sway the market in their favor, they can have this story about a peon printed too,

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
How did they conspire to make him just act like an rear end in a top hat all the time to anybody who had any power over his future

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Valeant isn't a real pharma company and their price calculations are not based on any business considerations. as soon as your generic alternative hits the market they gonna return the price to normal and then there is probably not enough demand to support two manufacturers for these low volume drugs and you are hosed. poo poo like that is very hard to deal with and it's why every developed nation on earth(except for the US)has introduced a universal healthcare system. drug companies often have monopolies on a drug, so you need leverage in price negotiations with them.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Dubplate Fire posted:

I’m talking about why he’s in trouble. You can talk about anything you want.
no you seem to have a problem with people doing that
but the larger issue here is why cant you quote posts right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

He’s a piece of poo poo and should be in jail. In case anyone thinks I am defending him.

• Locked thread