Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
So, that tower used to be ruled by a Marmot Man necromancer, but it's now Dwarven...?

I don't remember if it was that way before, but does that mean that somehow, our bugged team accidentally defected and formed a new civilized location? Is that what happened to them?

PurpleXVI posted:

I gotta admit, I can never tell when these fuckups are the AI throwing a cog, the interface being too obscure for a normal human to parse or the overseer actually screwing up commands.

That's just Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell, really. There's no way to really know what you're doing is going to work, and there's never really an explanation why a soldier heading out for duty decides to take multiple days in storing a sock that is not only not owned by him but also tattered to pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Go with Geshud, crazy goblin.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

PurpleXVI posted:

I gotta admit, I can never tell when these fuckups are the AI throwing a cog, the interface being too obscure for a normal human to parse or the overseer actually screwing up commands.

So I think at the very last, I figured it out mostly. First, soldiers do not obey civilian alerts or burrows, and I may not have been setting squad burrows properly always. Second, they will abandon an order temporarily to go pickup a better piece of equipment (or store a tattered sock apparently).

That's why we saw soldiers run out, or attempt to, when the traps were opened to bait zombies in. Suddenly there was a path to some amazing equipment outside.

I was trying to forbid all these attractive nuisances, but it's extremely tedious as there is about 40 z-levels of volcano slopes dotted with the remains of the steady stream of visitors we have gotten over the years (some of whom brought very good gear, even artifact quality) .

With TheCog the final time though, I was aware of all this. I ordered her back inside, I set a burrow on her squad, but nope. She even got up to the exit despite me being 90% sure the hatches were locked and maybe even with a missing staircase. Geshud obviously told her there was something outside that couldn't wait. I hope she found it, or at least maybe the next Overseer might get a chance to recover it or just figure out what it is (now I think of it I have a hunch it's an artifact copper crossbow I noted was up there).

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
I think I'll stay dead, pity it was fun to see how long I'd last.

Any hope of some fitting epitaph?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Any hope of some fitting epitaph?

Foul Ole Ron

Drain Wanderer
Zombie Botherer
Cat Wrestler
Farm Plot's Bane

May the glowing blood of the mountain sweep thee to final rest
And you not climb back up into the fort and run around on fire

Amen

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

IPA Regulations posted:

Foul Ole Ron

Drain Wanderer
Zombie Botherer
Cat Wrestler
Farm Plot's Bane

Amen

May you also not come back as a ghost and rip any hard working suturer's legs off, amen.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So that makes me the lone dwarf on this insane expedition? To what do I owe that honour? Incipient mental breakdown I presume?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Pharnakes posted:

So that makes me the lone dwarf on this insane expedition? To what do I owe that honour? Incipient mental breakdown I presume?

Correct! You were having regular mental breakdowns that made it seem you were imminently about to kill yourself, or someone else. Mostly about witnessing death and attacked being by undead iirc, made me think military life wasn't for you... but on the other hand, you missed martial training and were a skilled speardwarf.

So you get to come with me on a little trip to the necromancer tower where the last squad never returned from! With your beloved goblin overlord poet and his beloved demon forged maul, 2 elderly untrained human maul-mules, and one more 1 elderly marksman human. Lucky!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I like how I'm already referred to in the past tense.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

IPA Regulations posted:

Foul Ole Ron

Drain Wanderer
Zombie Botherer
Cat Wrestler
Farm Plot's Bane

Amen

I condem my soul to any god that would find it.

Also regarding me not coming back from the dead, I only promise to try.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

The Flying Twybil posted:

So, that tower used to be ruled by a Marmot Man necromancer, but it's now Dwarven...?

I don't remember if it was that way before, but does that mean that somehow, our bugged team accidentally defected and formed a new civilized location? Is that what happened to them?

Missed this: I'm not sure. I noted it a while back. I'm not sure if it's possible for the raiding party to have become necromancers while there? I'd really like to know though.

I think the group in control of the site is listed as a different civ from us though or maybe they just called themselves something different when they settled the site.

Can you imagine if we somehow got those dwarfs back after all those years(in game and irl at this stage)?

I'll probably check legends at some point if we don't find out another way.

Pharnakes posted:

I like how I'm already referred to in the past tense.

I might mix up tenses a whole lot while writing but it's a pretty sure thing everyone in this expedition is very much so past tense, yes

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Also regarding me not coming back from the dead, I only promise to try.

Thank you for your service!

Edit: just to reiterate for any potential Overseers out there lurking; Valleysilences needs an Overseer. Gnoman already offered to take a final turn to close out the fort on the discord and I've put the save up.

So if anyone else wanted a crack at managing this volcanic hell trap before its inevitable glorious end, now's the time! Or forever hold your peace.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 19, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Sorry this has taken so long. I've had a ton of other projects going.

Journal of Mangno, Bard

1 Granite 575
There are voices in my head. Not the usual ones - the ones reminding me of the horrors of this place - but something else. Some great and powerful presense. This journal's filling up faster than it should, and I don't understand why.

1 Granite 575

The traumas of this land are increasingly driving the residents here mad - and in this vessel's madness, she percieves my presense. So far, I have blocked her from reading these words, but that will not last. I only hope that it will last long enough.

Time grows short, for the end here is near. The dead grow ever more numerous, and the careless attempts to eliminate them have only increased the trauma here, and that is the real threat. Trauma draws Him like a lodestone, and soon he will feast. I have no other choice.

I will seek the depths. We shall go to Him.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Instead of going out with a whimper, going out with a bang, wise.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

It begins... :munch:

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Gnoman posted:

Journal of Mangno, Bard

There's a hidden connection here, I'm sure of it.

Mangno.. Man... Gno... Man...

Aha!

This bard is secretly a paid mangosteen shill!

Excited to finally die horribly

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gnoman posted:

1 Granite 575

I will seek the depths. We shall go to Him.

Date. ??????

I'm not dead, but I'm not alive. None of us are. Oh gods help me. Please.

He has me.

He has us all.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 23, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Date. ??????

I'm not dead, but I'm not alive. None of us are. Oh gods help me. Please.

He has me.

He has us all.

9 Granite

A perfomance troupe has arrived for a visit. Their deaths will only worsen our problems.

11 Granite

In this labryinth there are many paths to the outside, and even I do not know them all. The Dead have found one such, and entered the fortress.

Several are dead, and the survivors are beginning to break under the strain. Danny Glands is but the first.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Oh no! I'm guessing the door wasn't locked after our little expedition sallied out.

Did they get off-map or die horribly? Also did the human maul-donkey carrying Subtleshowers splat any undead with it?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

No idea. I was ignoring the combat reports because a bunch of guests were outside, then it started being named dwarves found dead. That's when I spotted them getting in.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

16 Granite.

The military has been destroyed. Those few that remain in the ranks are too wounded to fight. The sutiation is hopless.

18 Granite

We must flee this place. Even as I turn to face the dead and go to my doom, I give the order. The fortress has fallen, and those that remain are to seek the relative safety of the wilderness.

_________

Interlude:

I pass out of time, and space, until I begin to feel life in me once more. Another dwarf, in another world. Strange. My hands are bound, and I am tied in place as the wagon advances. Somebody speaks, seeming to notice that I'm stirring.

"So, you're finally awake."

I did not expect the fort to reach this point so quickly (in-game, it actually took a while due to FPS).

A new fort in the most recent version will be coming soon. Join the discord to discuss the setup.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Goonbless!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Another successful fortress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Whimper ending it seems.

Pitty was hoping for some exposition.