Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The Journal of M_Gargantua, misfortunate overseer of Valleysilences in the year 565

1 Granite -

Gnoman has been so busy in her passions that she’s been neglecting to track any sort of record of what has been happening this past year. Her obsession with this volcano does her credit, but I think she needs a break to take a deep drink and get her stones in order.

Rimtar the Kilbot complains of being unable to pray to the gods recently. I too share his concerns in this cursed place. With a name like that I’m wise to take it seriously.

Thats a simple fix of course, We just need a space for a temple. So an area (and an office for Gnoman) is ordered with statues to Geshud and Doren since they are on my mind after Rimtar the Kilbot brought them up.

Of course I imagine we have displeased lord Geshud and whatever god calls this horrid place theirs too.

Who comes to pillage our poor settlement?

Uhh, One Human Crossbowman? Unarmored. I hope this isn’t a trap.

Megane didn’t really stop to chat, but the invader had enough time to declare herself as Anoni Ciceevane, very self righteously I imagine.

Megane had no mind for a villain monologue though. She simply leapt from nearly ten feed above, fearless as a wooden bolt snapped past her head, likely a snapshot from the surprised Anoni.

Anoni, Now with an angry dwarf inside her guard, the top of her helmet barely at chin level, panicked.

Anoni takes a second hard strike to the wrist, and tumbles a few feet down the steep hill before regaining her feet.

Another Swing and her right knee is shattered as she rolls further down hill.

The final moments go exactly as you’d expect them, with Megane’s Hammer coming down and pancaking Anoni’s skull until her jaw minced her own mind.

No, really…

Maybe Gnoman was onto something, nobody remembers Megane as anything less than a competent caravan guard, but before this nobody could recall such brutality from her. Magane also mentioned that Anoni may have said something about the mountain or the volcano that she didn’t catch. Megane relayed that to me with such dead eyes, as if liquefying that humans brain had been no more special than an easy meal.

Rather than risk our first encounter having to deal with a full sized undead creature rather than mere vermin, I quickly order the body dumped into the volcano. It was merely a reflex action, and in retrospect I don’t know why it was necessary rather than more common means of disposal. I feel shame for desecrating a corpse so I'll consider engraving her a memorial slab for her foolish bravery, she rests in the great fires of the mountain now.

praise be the volcano of torment, bringer of fire praise be Geshud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Barely a year in and we're literally making human sacrifices to the volcano.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The only reason for that is that I didn't have any humans to sacrifice.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Is it really a human sacrifice if they're already dead?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Praise be to Geshud. Praise be to the brave fed to the fires of torment.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Goddamn, the gore has improved since I last played.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Death...

I am not upset by this.
:geno:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Oh boy here we go again

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This Geshud fellow seems nice.

Is one of our religions not a death cult?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Breaking out of lurking for this, the old dorf fort threads were how I found SA in the first place.

Add me to the dorf list please. Would prefer to be an adult but I don't really care.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Is it really a human sacrifice if they're already dead?

In this place, dead isn't dead. Zombie sacrifices are the best sacrifices.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Atis Giftedwheel seems... not terrible? Ish?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Atis Giftedwheel seems... not terrible? Ish?

Atis Giftedwheel was also just a dwarf ruler, not a deity.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Zombie apocalypse on the outside, nascent volcano death cult on the inside. I'm looking forward to seeing what unyielding horrwacky fun times are gonna happen!

Dwarf me, please!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I am 100% ready for offerings to the volcano as a method of undead prevention and/or starting a magma cult

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Addamere posted:

Atis Giftedwheel was also just a dwarf ruler, not a deity.

Oh, my bad - I conflated the 'Atir' that my dwarf worships as 'Atis.' That makes more sense, really.

I am going to assume that Atir is not a death god until someone shows me otherwise anyways.

burnaboy
Jun 2, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dwarf Me please, Sign me up as a soldier so i can die from fighting some horrible beast, or more likely turned into a pincushion by goblin arrows.

burnaboy fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Mar 11, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

cant cook creole bream posted:

This Geshud fellow seems nice.

I think we've got a magma cult if you want

Edit:
Wait a minute. Magma cult. Death cult. Magma Death Cult.

pictures shamelessly ripped from The Dark Id's nier;automata LP.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 11, 2018

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Add me to the dwarfing list! I don't mind which kind of dwarf. I am pleasantly surprised at this new anti-undead disposal system. A fortuitous choice of expedition site!

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
I didn't quite realise just how awesome this site was going to be until I saw the screen of the human being fed to the volcano.

Let us be both the masters and servants of the magma.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Dorf me please, female preferred.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Addamere posted:

Being able to send out raids on other sites is in fact one of the big new features of the current version release! :eng101:

Ooooo, they finally got that feature in? I might have to pick up DF again to play with that - it's been a while.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
"Don't do it!" I say as I'm generating a new world.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Dwarf Me please.

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
Oh man. It's that time again. I've missed the last couple but I'm not missing out on this one. Dwarf Me Up.

FreakyM
May 7, 2013
Ooooh, another DF LP! Dwarf me, please! Can't wait to have my skull caved in by someone in a fell mood.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Gnoman has been sufficiently distracted now that she has a desk, and its amazing what a few gifted words of conversation will do to get unrestricted access to work orders.

Likot Towerunite aka PurpleXVI requests to remain in the fortress to continue his studies. Tunicate vouches for him, and his experience as a great chemist make his offer too good to refuse.

I worry that the two of them are keeping something from the rest of us. Tunicate has been going from reclusive anxiety to manic work in the library. I worry its possible ill intent from this newcomer, the two of them were discussing the fine art of securing, and pilfering, treasure hoards.

I use the opportunity to see if I can break her out of her anxiety cycles over whatever the two of them are studying. And recommend that she take her momentary interest in locking mechanisms to help secure the fortress. This provides good engineering practice for her as there are many projects that need doing.

The calls goes out that more travellers have arrived here. I don’t know if its escape or some sort of twisted pilgrimage that keeps them coming, but apparently excitement is spreading at the news that not only is the expedition not dead, but has inadvertently settled in such a prosperous location.

First we have Windy Skunk, a Cook, who came with his cousin gbuchold:

gbuchold, who claims to be a farmer

LostCosmonaut, an experienced engineer who heard of Tunicate’s work and joined us here, with his wife, Ashenjack.

Ashenjack, a mason:

geri_khan, a bonecarver who claims to be the creator of something called The Contingent of Blossoms . I find it hard to believe though as he doesn’t have it on him, claiming to have given it to Mayor Morul Tabarlogemnor of The Cave of Prisons in a bid for her hand in marriage. He also doesn’t have the skills to back the claim. I quickly assign him to mining and say he’ll be stonecarving.

Counterfeitsaint on the other hand is an actual skilled stonecarver and creator of Erasedwhip the Admired Cloisters.

Maugrim, counterfeitsaint’s husband and a soldier.

Zack Ater, who volunteers for smelting duty when he sees that his skills as a hunter will be useless in this barren place. His sense of humor about the situation is dry to say the least.

Grizzwold joins her husband Zack Ater, the two of them plan on doing their best to raise little dwarves in this hellish place. I can only imagine what tragedy brought the two of them together at such a young age. She quickly grabs a pick.

StrangeAeon joins us with his family, and will serve as a medic to assist doctor Pharnakes

Jamsque, his wife, will join the guard.

And Fumbles, their twelve year old son.

Yeol, another dedicated to the family life, and his wife Camoes.

Camoes is a jeweler

McGibby is a legendary gem cutter, creator of The Equal Messiahs, a gorgeous amber opal table.

Fuubi has some violent tendencies, he’ll be good in our growing guard

Drakenel comes with her husband,

Vinny Possum, creator of the bracelet Silvercalls (now a family hairloom), and a legendary stone carver.

Deadmeat5150 travels to the fortress upon hearing that his younger brother, Osroct has become a guardsmen here, and that his uncle, Air is lava, is also here.

Balon, at the advice of his cousin Yeol, shows up with his big happy family of Boksi, Thranguy, and verbal enema.

Balon, a soldier

Boksi, who will be opening a tavern.

Thranguy, eldest daughter

Verbal enema, youngest daughter

Grey Hunter comes on the recommendation of his grandparents, Epsilon Moonshade and u brexit ukip it. He will put his excellent clerk and record keeping to use in our growing library, joining Tunicate and PurpleXVI.

And with him his wife Arban

The influx of labor brings our numbers to what feels like an astounding forty-five dwarves. And with the extra help the digging accelerates, we quickly delve deeper and find something.

An expansive cavern! the sounds of gentle underground pools can be heard through the opening, and cave spider silk on the walls.

And Oh, I must have forgotten to introduce myself, I am M_Gargantua, a lowly traveller and a sometimes priest of Geshud. And there are two old mysteries that have plagues my dreams for years now

Perhaps this mountain is more than it appears… I know the answers and deeper still.

Many things happen in the eons past, and everything going on in The Banded Diamonds seems to link back to the religious sect of Tobul Flashlanterns, who are weak and few.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
My dwarf worships 7 different gods. Really hedging my bets here.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Geshud is the best god. "Hmm, I want there to be more murders... I know! I'll summon a giant demon tortoise! Perfect."

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

It's like anti-atheism.
"Who's this altar to"
"Whoever you want it to be, just don't break it!"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I thought worshiping 5 was unusual, my dwarf sucks now. :( Didn't actually have a kid when she was 6 years old. And now there are a bunch of jewelers, too many jewelers.

I'm going to end up conscripted into the unskilled losers squad.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006

megane posted:

Geshud is the best god. "Hmm, I want there to be more murders... I know! I'll summon a giant demon tortoise! Perfect."

It may not be elegant, but drat it, Geshud gets results.

I'm imagining Geshud getting together with all the other murder gods in this world, and while they're all caught up in creating ornate rituals for secret murder and assassin cults, Geshud is just over here, being practical, summoning demons to commit murders for him.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Aw man, I'm a pacifist essentially. I see I married up the social ladder though.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
Neat, a new DF succession game.
Sign me up for dwarfing if there is still room.

It's been... man, I don't remember how many years since I last played or seen DF played. The last time I tried playing DF myself, I kept losing my forts in the first year, when a were-"whatever" showed up, massacred my starting army, and then having any survivors transform into more were-"whatever" creatures. I stopped playing after my 4th or 5th fort in a row ended up like this.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Did I seriously randomly start digging at the top of the cavern layer?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
My precious dwarven family will surely thrive.

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008
Journal
of Onget "A Bad Place" Roomsquirted, devoted bard

Many speak in quiet tones of the human that was hammered and burned. We know so little of her. Who did she serve? What did she seek? Why bring siege against us? It is said there may be a memorial built, that her curse does not fall on the fortress. As bard, I felt it my duty to prepare a simple inscription. I pray it brings her peace.

--- A version in traditional script had also been prepared. When did I write this I find myself very inspired lately.

Look now! and behold the tomb
Which, empty and apart, still stands
Where hero of the human lands
Anoni faced her doom

Honor on her hopeless siege,
bourne up by lunacy and grit!
A belly full of dragonspit
Does credit to her home and liege.

Nas-nural ker! nebél vucar
Kisat nimem, nalish duthnur
Ubal Ág-Osor obur.
Anoni odroz Geshud lar.

Themor ber egen! Stodir-kôn ked!
Etom shàmman-keshan,
nakas akir usân.
Im-fokásh, nanoth-tôsed...

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

My first ever dwarf and I'm- twelve.

What's- uh- what's the age dwarves start getting old enough to pick up weapons and or craft tools?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fumbles posted:

What's- uh- what's the age dwarves start getting old enough to pick up weapons and or craft tools?

Twelve!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Fumbles posted:

Post/av/name combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Dwarf me please! No real preference.