Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i should play this game

otoh when i try to log in im in the middle of nowhere in space and my key binds are gone sooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

furthur8
Jun 16, 2000
Forum Veteran

hakimashou posted:

In the other thread recently someone was talking about a thing you could scan repeatedly to get stuff, what was it?

Dav’s Hope maybe? It’s got data point and 9-10 materials you can scoop up per run.

Hyades Sector DR-V c2-23 A5, ~44.818 / -31.389

e: I ran it myself a couple days ago and got around 70 chemical manipulators in a couple hours. Also, scanning the logs (I think) unlocks an actual waypoint so you don’t have to search for it on the next visit.

furthur8 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 11, 2018

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Theres also a crashed anaconda on Orrere 2 B, coordinates 43.8214, -173.9800

You can relog over and over and pick up lots of high level mats from the cargo racks around the crash site.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Is there any way to store cargo yet?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
no, you have to ask a friend to hold onto it for you

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Statutory Ape posted:

i should play this game

otoh when i try to log in im in the middle of nowhere in space and my key binds are gone sooooo

You can recover old bindings from the user folder: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings\

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You can recover old bindings from the user folder: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings\

ty for this. ill probably get around to it next time im bored. last time i played was on a different computer :/

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Statutory Ape posted:

i should play this game

:nallears:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Statutory Ape posted:

i should play this game

stay safe space ape ghost

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

El Grillo posted:

Bookmarking thread in case game ever gets good

e:

:nallears:

I keep wanting to find a reason to get back in but the grind is just too much.

Ever since I got my iCutter I no longer have a goal to aim for. Sigh.

sincx fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 11, 2018

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I finally don't have any more rep to grind for. Just hit Admiral and King tonight.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

berenzen posted:

I finally don't have any more rep to grind for. Just hit Admiral and King tonight.

I need to work on fed rank today but I already hit king and got my Cutter :agesilaus:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

berenzen posted:

Grindy grind grind. I did the fed ranks to get a corvette yesterday doing Sothis. I guess a somewhat reasonable time investment all things considered, but I'm not exactly wowed by the Corvette. It's not really any faster, and I'm not really sure how to best use those two hardpoints. It's very obviously tankier though, but I still feel really ambivalent about it. I don't know what wrong, really, because on paper it's pretty amazing, and I can't really find fault with it per se. Maybe it just doesn't feel like enough of an upgrade given the grind to get it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

berenzen posted:

Isnt there alliance rep to grind for?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Why did I just respawn in some back end of rear end nowhere The Penitent station? I was doing a “kill 8 pirates for a fed rank” mission in Sothis or Cleo, had finished half of my goal when a stray shot clipped a friendly ship. All of a sudden the entire mini map goes red and I get exploded super fast. Fine, sure, whatever I see how that happens. But when I rebuy my cobra I don’t respawn at my last station? That’s super frustrating because now I am like 300 ly from anywhere. In my cobra I swapped to for fighting and not my DBX. Ugh.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 11, 2018

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Arcturas posted:

Why did I just respawn in some back end of rear end nowhere The Penitent station? I was doing a “kill 8 pirates for a fed rank” mission in Sothis or Cleo, had finished half of my goal when a stray shot clipped a friendly ship. All of a sudden the entire mini map goes red and I get exploded super fast. Fine, sure, whatever I see how that happens. But when I rebuy my cobra I don’t respawn at my last station? That’s super frustrating because now I am like 300 ly from anywhere. In my cobra I swapped to for fighting and not my DBX. Ugh.

You got sent to space jail. It's part of the new entirely arbitrary crimes and also punishment system introduced in the Beyond update. Don't you feel immersed yet?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

3 posted:

You got sent to space jail. It's part of the new entirely arbitrary crimes and also punishment system introduced in the Beyond update. Don't you feel immersed yet?

So the penalty for missing shots when the space popo are cutting in front of me in the middle of a fight is spending an hour or half hour or whatever playing space taxi? Lame.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

So the penalty for missing shots when the space popo are cutting in front of me in the middle of a fight is spending an hour or half hour or whatever playing space taxi? Lame.

Nah, that's not supposed to happen just with a stray shot. The damage threshold for clipping innocents got upped to prevent this kind of thing.

So either:

1. You encountered a bug
2. You "clipped" someone by unloading all your ordnance into his poor, poor ship
3. Your accidental shot managed to penetrated your victim's cockpit and blew up his head, Scanners-style

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Libluini posted:

Nah, that's not supposed to happen just with a stray shot. The damage threshold for clipping innocents got upped to prevent this kind of thing.

So either:

1. You encountered a bug
2. You "clipped" someone by unloading all your ordnance into his poor, poor ship
3. Your accidental shot managed to penetrated your victim's cockpit and blew up his head, Scanners-style

Probably i exceeded the "clipping" threshold. It was near the end of a long-ish dogfight and I can't see everything on my laptop so well since the brightness is kinda poo poo. Oh well, lesson learned.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

orange juche posted:

Isnt there alliance rep to grind for?
Alliance has no ranks, you can be allied with one of their minor factions and get a permit to Alioth system (it has discounts on some ships), but that's it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Arcturas posted:

Probably i exceeded the "clipping" threshold. It was near the end of a long-ish dogfight and I can't see everything on my laptop so well since the brightness is kinda poo poo. Oh well, lesson learned.

You're also in the rear end end of nowhere, so the nearest prison it could send you to was far away. God help anyone who commits a crime at a base on the way to Colonia.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
FDev right now: "Boo hoo, people are exploiting the game to get Imperial and Fed rank. What are we going to do with all this money that jubjub64 just gave us for paint jobs on his new Cutter?!?"

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mike the TV posted:

You're also in the rear end end of nowhere, so the nearest prison it could send you to was far away. God help anyone who commits a crime at a base on the way to Colonia.

But a clever way to get back if the rebuy is worth it: sell your data at the base then shoot some npcs in the dock.

jubjub64 posted:

FDev right now: "Boo hoo, people are exploiting the game to get Imperial and Fed rank. What are we going to do with all this money that jubjub64 just gave us for paint jobs on his new Cutter?!?"

:ssh:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Libluini posted:

So either:

1. You encountered a bug

it is almost certainly bugged. i got a bounty for tagging a mining ship with 2f pulse lasers for like a microsecond.

edit: i also got swiftly destroyed and sent to space jail

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 11, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Report it then.

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

jubjub64 posted:

Ya the "exploit" to get fed rank got me to play the game for the first time in a year+ and I ended up buying like 10 bucks worth of cosmetic stuff.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Between the skimmer gold rush and these rep missions, this has been the most time I've spent in Elite in over a year and a half. Being able to make meaningful progress in a reasonable span of time brought me back.

That they want to outright murder this "exploit" serves to further the idea that Frontier apparently hates three things: fun-having, expanding the playerbase, and making real-world money.

Like what the gently caress good are all of those cosmetics for the cutter, vette, and Anaconda if most of the players stop playing before they can afford that poo poo simply because the grind is ridiculous?

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 11, 2018

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004
So should I smash things to get to King and whatever the other rank are before they ruin everything again in case they make something competent locked behind the final couple of ranks I don't yet have?

Can I also have a space crown on my ship once I get there? I think a space tiara would go well with the shiny space paint space job.

Relatedly, I got a Corvette and two huge overcharged multi cannons melt everything I point them at, so I am happy :v:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

You don't get a space crown, but you do get a luxurious throne of a ship to cruise around on when you hit duke if you haven't already. There isn't really anything locked behind the last 2 ranks of either faction yet though. I just did it so if/when frontier does put something behind them I can get it.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 12, 2018

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

berenzen posted:

You don't get a space crown, but you do get a luxurious throne of a ship to cruise around on when you hit duke if you haven't already. There isn't really anything locked behind the last 2 ranks of either faction yet though. I just did it so if/when frontier does put something behind them I can get it.

I just know that if I don't do those last couple of ranks they'll make something fabulous available only for those and nerf rep something chronic just so that they can laugh at me, because that's how they roll.

*Wave fist*

Edit: or they'll make that change just after I decide to try.

Double edit: Realised that I sound bitter but actually I've found it mostly better since the recent "can choose experimental effects on modules easily with just materials cost" change.

legooolas fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 12, 2018

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

If you're already duke, just do the courier rep+++ stuff. It'll take you longer to jump to the system to do it in than it will to get to King.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Now that the engineer stuff is so much more manageable with the trader duders, I'm starting to feel like I need some lv 5 dirty drives in my life.

What's some really cool poo poo to see thats 5k LY away.

I'm not sure whether to just build up a second 5A FSD with max engineer and make it a one way trip or fly there and then back.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
If you're going 5000 ly out, you wanna come back with all that scan data you'll pick up on the way. Should be worth a few million cr.

Regarding where to go: you can just take on a long range passenger mission that's at least 5000 ly away. They usually have you visiting cool places, and it's extra $$$ for when you get back.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Holy wowsers the ngalinn/mainani poo poo is sooooo much better than sothis/ceos this is gonna take like an hour to max.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

hakimashou posted:

Holy wowsers the ngalinn/mainani poo poo is sooooo much better than sothis/ceos this is gonna take like an hour to max.

Yeah, it's easier to just gobble them up and they're both relatively close to their stars. Quick and easy. The worst part was getting the game to give me the rank missions and then actually have it recognize them as rank missions and give me the loving rank. I maxed out King because I kept thinking I was going to rank up and then oh hey nope.

I need to finish up Fed rank at Sothis/Ceos but like... mehhhhhh.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Gonkish posted:

Yeah, it's easier to just gobble them up and they're both relatively close to their stars. Quick and easy. The worst part was getting the game to give me the rank missions and then actually have it recognize them as rank missions and give me the loving rank. I maxed out King because I kept thinking I was going to rank up and then oh hey nope.

Ya im kinda glad I did sothis/ceos first if i was spoiled by mainani i'd prob have given up this poo poo is ez-mode. having just one station in each system saves so much time.

All the factions are imperial, just filter by transport and mash space bar to pick em up.

I havent had trouble getting rank up missions so far. I had to relog twice to get the current one but thats the worst its been.

Relogging once seems to reset it to make the next rank up available to you.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 12, 2018

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Gonkish posted:

AFAIK the mission board doesn't update once you load it so if you show up to drop off a rank mission, the rank mission you see on the board on that visit is considered to be the same as the one you just turned in so it doesn't rank you up again.

I went from None/0% Empire rank to Count 100% in like 8 (non-optimal) hours of gameplay but I might be way past that because of the slow drop of rank missions and the fact I haven't seen anything other than 100% to next rank since I started. Hell, I think I did around 200-300 missions total (at 20x a run) so for all I know I might already be at King without realizing it.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Holy gently caress that Ngalinn/Mainani was amazing for maxing out my Imperial Rank. Glad i got around to doing that before those rep gains get reset to normal levels. These big patches bring out the best bugs :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How are you guys doing these? Just go to ngallin or mangiani (sp) and do the imperial missions? Or is there an order to it? I am out at the guardian sites but if you guys think this is going to be nerfed soon maybe I should run back into the bubble and do it.

• Locked thread