Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

All the courier/data missions are 0-cargo runs across one jump with the target ~700Ls away from the star (in both directions). Load up on 20 missions on each end, make one jump and dock, pick rep+++ for the reward every time it is available (~80%, probably more if you pay attention when you mash the accept mission buttons).

\/\/ It's not even per round trip, you can get 20 missions on each side. Also once you get to allied (3rd if not 2nd half-round-trip), you start getting ~30m time bonuses so you'll earn ~1m credits on each docking/turn in.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Basically you load up on 25 courier missions from the imperial factions at Ngalinn/Mainani, which will direct you to the other station. Select rep+++ on the reward screen. Each trip will 100% at least 1 rank. It's like a 10 minute round trip. You spend more time looking for rank up missions than you actual courier missions.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Blind Rasputin posted:

How are you guys doing these? Just go to ngallin or mangiani (sp) and do the imperial missions? Or is there an order to it? I am out at the guardian sites but if you guys think this is going to be nerfed soon maybe I should run back into the bubble and do it.

It'll get nerfed any time now, maybe today. Strike while the iron's hot!

berenzen posted:

Basically you load up on 25 courier missions from the imperial factions at Ngalinn/Mainani, which will direct you to the other station. Select rep+++ on the reward screen. Each trip will 100% at least 1 rank. It's like a 10 minute round trip. You spend more time looking for rank up missions than you actual courier missions.

Don't look for rank ups, just keep grinding the rep: the meter keeps counting and you can always farm rank missions after the nerf. Obviously take them if they come, but don't stop the rep+++ grind to look for them.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

And you will get rank up missions but not just quick enough to outpace your Empire rep gain, check out the missions from <something> Inc (only one with an Inc ending) first, anecdotally they gave me 90% if not 100% of my rank up missions.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

legooolas posted:

Can I also have a space crown on my ship once I get there? I think a space tiara would go well with the shiny space paint space job.
Being bestowed with the rank of King comes with all the fanfare you'd expect from being crowned King in real life:

There's not even any animation like for the pilot's federation ranks, just a line of text. "You are now king." Totally would have been worth it pre-Rep+++ where it took 1100 missions beyond Duke to get here.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CapnBry posted:

Being bestowed with the rank of King comes with all the fanfare you'd expect from being crowned King in real life:

There's not even any animation like for the pilot's federation ranks, just a line of text. "You are now king." Totally would have been worth it pre-Rep+++ where it took 1100 missions beyond Duke to get here.

Jesus.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
Hope they don't get nerfed today I don't think I got all the way to the corvette last night :ohdear:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So, like many people I've been doing the Sothis/Ceos thing, and am almost an Admiral. I have enough money saved up for an Anaconda or, if I go just a little further, a Corvette. I want to buy one and am having trouble deciding which I should get.

I have a Python and while it makes me money, I don't like it. I like that it hauls nearly as much as my Type 7 but fits on a medium pad, but combat-wise I think it's garbage. I have a somewhat engineered FDL that I love. I also have a Vulture that I love. For long jumps and exploration I have a DBX.

I guess I'd be using the ship to make more money more faster. As far as I can tell, here are the pros/cons:

Anaconda Pros:
- Jump Distance
- Possibly DPS?
- Hardpoint placement

Anaconda Cons:
- Looks like garbage
- Everybody has one
- Multipurpose usually means OK at everything, not really good at anything

Corvette Pros:
- Looks like a Star Destroyer
- Two huge hardpoints above my head
- Faster
- Hauls more (according to Coriolis)
- Better maneuverability

Corvette Cons:
- Has poo poo jump range
- more expensive initially

Seems the jump range is more of an annoyance than anything, really. If I engineer it, it will be less of a problem.

here is a half-assed Anaconda build and here is a half-assed Corvette build for comparison. Ignore the hardpoints, I just threw some stuff in there.

I guess, will an Anaconda bring in enough money to also buy a Corvette fairly quickly if I'm doing cargo/passenger missions, and will a Corvette suck rear end at anything other than combat?

Honestly, I'd probably leave it parked while I slowly outfit it and fly around in my FDL/Python/DBX. I really hate my Python though. I don't want to put money into it to make it good at combat because it will never be as good as my FDL, and it looks and sounds like poo poo. I love my FDL.

edit: God I really want a Cutter, it's such a pretty ship. I don't think I can get to the Empire grind before it gets nerfed, though. If it's still around this weekend maybe I'll be able to do it.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 12, 2018

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

jubjub64 posted:

FDev right now: "Boo hoo, people are exploiting the game to get Imperial and Fed rank. What are we going to do with all this money that jubjub64 just gave us for paint jobs on his new Cutter?!?"

I'm a big fan of the SRV jump you did on Merope yesterday :)

First time in a wing, was pretty neat. Also seeing your cutter from a SRV holy crap it's a huge ship.

But yeah, I'm a newbie too, I did use the exploits to get into a clipper way faster than I would have otherwise and bought a freaking paint kit and COVAS voice because I was enjoying it so much.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

CornHolio posted:

So, like many people I've been doing the Sothis/Ceos thing, and am almost an Admiral. I have enough money saved up for an Anaconda or, if I go just a little further, a Corvette. I want to buy one and am having trouble deciding which I should get.

I have a Python and while it makes me money, I don't like it. I like that it hauls nearly as much as my Type 7 but fits on a medium pad, but combat-wise I think it's garbage. I have a somewhat engineered FDL that I love. I also have a Vulture that I love. For long jumps and exploration I have a DBX.

I guess I'd be using the ship to make more money more faster. As far as I can tell, here are the pros/cons:

Anaconda Pros:
- Jump Distance
- Possibly DPS?
- Hardpoint placement

Anaconda Cons:
- Looks like garbage
- Everybody has one

Corvette Pros:
- Faster
- Better maneuverability

Corvette Cons:
- Has poo poo jump range

Seems the jump range is more of an annoyance than anything, really. If I engineer it, it will be less of a problem.

here is a half-assed Anaconda build and here is a half-assed Corvette build for comparison. Ignore the hardpoints, I just threw some stuff in there.

I guess, will an Anaconda bring in enough money to also buy a Corvette fairly quickly if I'm doing cargo/passenger missions, and will a Corvette suck rear end at anything other than combat?

Honestly, I'd probably leave it parked while I slowly outfit it and fly around in my FDL/Python/DBX. I really hate my Python though. I don't want to put money into it to make it good at combat because it will never be as good as my FDL, and it looks and sounds like poo poo. I love my FDL.

edit: God I really want a Cutter, it's such a pretty ship. I don't think I can get to the Empire grind before it gets nerfed, though. If it's still around this weekend maybe I'll be able to do it.

Corvette is much easier to engineer now, and a fully-kitted one will still get 15-20ly jump range. The corvette will probably not be ~better~ at combat than your FDL, but I would argue it would be more fun.

The Conda would be better for trade/general use, but it doesn't sound like that is really your playstyle? Also, hardpoint placement is much better on the corvette, imo, and the increased maneuverability makes tracking much easier. A conda is also nice for engineering your corvette, since a lot of the internals match up.

TBH, both of those fittings look kind of wonky: what is your plan? PVP? Mission running? HazRes? Because neither one of those builds looks really suited to any of that. Big ships really require specialization to shine, otherwise your just in a T-7 with an absurd rebuy.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

CornHolio posted:

Don't underestimate the Anaconda's jump range. It can jump about as far as the DBX can, but has twice as many module slots so you'll never have to make tough choices about what to bring with you. It really speeds up your travel, and you can kit it out for whatever weird crap you feel like doing. Being able to clear 100ly in 2-3 jumps is real nice even if you're just wandering around the bubble.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Having a large jump range is only useful in the bubble. When you're just exploring for the sake of exploration, then range doesn't matter because there is no destination.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

John F Bennett posted:

Having a large jump range is only useful in the bubble. When you're just exploring for the sake of exploration, then range doesn't matter because there is no destination.

You, goon sir, are truly: ~BEYOND~ The Grind.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

*sets nav to economical route

The best jump range is the jump range you don’t use.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Corvette is much easier to engineer now, and a fully-kitted one will still get 15-20ly jump range. The corvette will probably not be ~better~ at combat than your FDL, but I would argue it would be more fun.

The Conda would be better for trade/general use, but it doesn't sound like that is really your playstyle? Also, hardpoint placement is much better on the corvette, imo, and the increased maneuverability makes tracking much easier. A conda is also nice for engineering your corvette, since a lot of the internals match up.

TBH, both of those fittings look kind of wonky: what is your plan? PVP? Mission running? HazRes? Because neither one of those builds looks really suited to any of that. Big ships really require specialization to shine, otherwise your just in a T-7 with an absurd rebuy.

I just threw a bunch of cargo racks in each to see what the max would be with stuff like a docking computer and fuel scoop, and with those what the jump range would be just for comparison purposes.

With FSD engineering how far could the Corvette jump?

I have a DBX with a 48LY range at the moment, I usually use that if I'm going far then I call whatever other ship I need.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Lol. I’ve been out here decoding these guardian ruins for the past week, on and off, come to find out today they’ve discontinued the mission. So cool frontier thank you. There’s no way to turn them in after the fact?

I guess I have all the guardian tech pieces I need but where do you guys get more of the weapon blueprints? Just the power ball thing over and over? That’s like..12 relogs.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

CornHolio posted:

I just threw a bunch of cargo racks in each to see what the max would be with stuff like a docking computer and fuel scoop, and with those what the jump range would be just for comparison purposes.

I have a DBX with a 48LY range at the moment, I usually use that if I'm going far then I call whatever other ship I need.

Depends on the fitting: I am aiming for ~32ly for my explorvette, my combat-fit gets ~15ly. I usually ship it if I go very far, which can get expensive if you aren't on that bittervet status.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CornHolio posted:

Anaconda Pros:
- Jump Distance
- Possibly DPS?
- Hardpoint placement

Anaconda Cons:
- Looks like garbage
- Everybody has one

Corvette Pros:
- Faster
- Better maneuverability

Corvette Cons:
- Has poo poo jump range

The only really big deal I can think of is that the Corvette is more expensive to specialize for combat, for not that much more performance.

Generally speaking, the Corvette will outperform the Anaconda in combat, though the difference isn't very big once you consider the Anaconda has more potential DPS. The Anaconda is the better all-rounder by a huge margin, it can do everything in the game either better than any other ship or second best. It's a true multi-purpose. The Corvette kicks rear end, but is exactly that; an asskicker. Use it for anything else and don't be surprised if a lot of other ships do better.

If it were my money (and I assume you don't have the credits to outright A-fit either ship), I'd say you'll have a much easier time doing engineers and making money in an Anaconda whatever you do, and then transferring the internals over to a Corvette if you find that to be more suited. Although it's really down to taste, because both ships are amazing.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nice piece of fish posted:

The only really big deal I can think of is that the Corvette is more expensive to specialize for combat, for not that much more performance.

Generally speaking, the Corvette will outperform the Anaconda in combat, though the difference isn't very big once you consider the Anaconda has more potential DPS. The Anaconda is the better all-rounder by a huge margin, it can do everything in the game either better than any other ship or second best. It's a true multi-purpose. The Corvette kicks rear end, but is exactly that; an asskicker. Use it for anything else and don't be surprised if a lot of other ships do better.

If it were my money (and I assume you don't have the credits to outright A-fit either ship), I'd say you'll have a much easier time doing engineers and making money in an Anaconda whatever you do, and then transferring the internals over to a Corvette if you find that to be more suited. Although it's really down to taste, because both ships are amazing.

Honestly it might just be that everybody seems to have an Anaconda and I think the Corvette looks awesome :shrug: but really, it looks like in terms of sheer haulage, the Corvette can haul more (but not as far) which was why I was confused why the Anaconda was the preferred ship.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
All ships should have infinite jump range in the bubble. There's no good reason I should have to sit through multiple loading screens strung together.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Oh, hey, new thread.

So there’s a lot of questions new people to Elite pop up with, and here’s a helpful little :words: FAQ/guide to get you through most of them.

Should I get Horizons?

At this point, I want to say you probably should - Horizons unlocks a lot of useful stuff, including the newly-rebuilt engineering system, a couple of different ship hulls, ship-launched fighters and other things. Having Horizons will also unlock whatever stuff is added in the current ‘Beyond' season, so, yeah.

I’m new, how do I make money?

When you’re just starting out, there are a couple of different ways:

Mission Running - Odd jobs from a station’s mission board. In particular, keep an eye out for data courier, light delivery, salvage and surface scan missions - those are all decently fast and simple and the two latter kind sometimes have extra goodies like useful materials near the objective.

Bounty Hunting - So-called ‘free range’ bounty hunting is riskier than mission running, but is a great way to make a lot of money fast when you’re starting out - especially with a couple of friends. Basically you want to find a gas giant with rings, enter one of the resource extraction sites in the rings, and hunt down pirates. When you’re starting out you’ll want to more or less wait until people start shooting, then get a couple of shots in on the pirate before the cops get him. Once you have more skills and better gear, you can start being less of an opportunistic shithead. When you shoot a pirate down, you get a voucher which you turn into money at a station. Remember to turn your bounty vouchers in at regular intervals. If you get shot down while carrying unclaimed vouchers, those vouchers are destroyed.

Once you have a slightly better ship and some experience under your belt, the rest of the game more or less opens up for you. There’s a variety of activities you can earn money with, with varying risk-to-reward ratios - mining, exotics trading, bulk trading, smuggling, exploration, community goals.. You can even play at being an archaeologist at the Guardian ruins discovered recently. The question is what sounds interesting to you.

These lovely missions don’t pay at all!

Patience, grasshopper. When you’re starting out, most missions will have gently caress all for rewards - this is because missions and mission rewards scale based on a couple of different factors - including your appropriate Commander rank, your standing with the faction issuing the mission, and the size and economic status of the system, station and faction you’re dealing with. Try and pick a few different factions in the same place and stick to doing jobs for them - once they know you better, they’ll pay you better.

Where should I go?

You can pretty much pick any station for a ‘home base’, but in general, you’ll want to look at a few different things - the size, wealth and economy type of your station of choice. Size is easy enough to check from your system map, you’ll see the station’s population there. Wealth usually goes hand-in-hand with size - rich factions tend to grow in size, while small groups have a hard time getting rich. Poor factions have tiny little outposts and banged-up Coriolis ‘cube’ starports. Rich factions have fresh shiny chromed-up stations, often in the newer Ocellus and Orbis patterns. Lastly, the economy type can also be seen on the system/galaxy map - it basically tells you what most people around there do for a living, which affects the kinds of goods and equipment the station sells, what kind of missions they’ll usually give out, and so on. Heavy industrial and high-tech stations tend to have better stuff available than sunkissed agriworlds best known for sheep and booze.

TL/DR, I usually recommend Haxel Port in LTT 15574. It’s a couple of jumps from the usual starter system, and it’s a decently wealthy, big industrial economy. They’ve got a good selection of ships and equipment available, especially many of the ships you’ll want to aim for when you’re starting out, and there are multiple gas giants in the system with RESes if bounty hunting is your thing. Eventually you'll want to make your way to the Goat-Xihe cluster, but it's a good place to start.

You said Commander rank, how do I boost that?

Your commander rank is a rough measure of your experience in four different categories of activity in Elite. Doing things related to a Commander rank - specifically, earning money by doing these activities - eventually increases your rank, which unlocks better-paying missions - among other things.

Your combat rank is increased by turning in bounty and combat vouchers and completing combat missions like assassination and pirate massacre missions.

Your trade rank is increased by making profit at the commodity market, along with completing delivery and commodity sourcing missions.

Your exploration rank is increased by turning in exploration data at Universal Cartographics, along with doing salvage missions.

Your CQC rank is increased by winning matches in the Close Quarter Combat PVP game mode, and can be safely ignored.

How do I increase my faction standing?

Your faction standing - with minor factions, like, say, LTT 15574 Ring, or Jotunheim Revolutionary Resistance, or whatever - goes up when you do missions for them and sell things at stations they own. It goes down when you shoot down their ships and fail their missions. Find a station they have a mission board at, do missions for them, and try and pick the Rep+++ mission reward when it’s reasonable. Try and not shoot their ships down or pick up missions from them that you won’t be able to finish.

What about superpowers?

Every time you do a mission for a minor faction aligned with a superpower - they have that power’s icon on their tab in the mission board interface - you get a little bit of reputation with that superpower. Eventually (there’s a progress bar in your status panel) they’ll offer you rankup missions.

I’ve got a little bit of money, what ship should I get now?

For the ships you'll initially want to start working towards, you have a few options:

Sidewinder: Free. No, really. The default little shitwinder can be a surprisingly annoying little gnat when it’s had some upgrades plugged into it - it’s actually one of the most nimble ships in the game, a tiny target to hit, and frequently underestimated. You don’t want to stick with it your whole career, but there’s nothing wrong with sticking with it until you can afford a new ship and upgrade it a little.

Eagle: 44,800 CR. The single cheapest ship in the game (barring the Sidewinder). An incredibly nimble light fighter, extremely fun to fly. Superior to the Sidewinder in nearly every way but price. If you think you'd enjoy bounty hunting, blowing things up, and generally being an infuriating little poo poo, try this one.

Hauler: 52,720 CR. The space breadvan. It's not particularly fast, but it's cheap, has an expansive cargo bay for something its size, and has the firepower of half a Sidewinder. If you like making money via trading or making those bigger delivery missions, the Hauler is a decent cheap first choice, but..

Adder: 87,810 CR. The Hauler's bigger brother. The Adder is more expensive than the Hauler, but makes up for the increased price tag in flexibility; not only does it have a slightly larger cargo potential and better jump range, but it's also surprisingly nimble for its looks and carries some pretty big guns. It's still a great beginner for trading and it can be configured to do a little bit of everything depending on your particular needs. It's basically what the Sidewinder tries to be.

Imperial Eagle: 110,830 CR. This one takes a little more work, seeing as it's only sold in Imperial stations - it's essentially an Eagle with upgraded weapons and power systems, along with the thruster array reconfigured towards more straightline speed and acceleration than agility. Still a fun and relatively cheap light fighter with a surprising bite for something its size, albeit pretty fragile.

After these 'entry-level’ ships, the Viper-3, Cobra-3 and Diamondback Scout make for great ships to aim for - the Viper is a fast and fun heavy fighter, the Cobra more of a flexible multipurpose ship, and the Diamondback-S a more expensive, nimble, long-ranged heavy fighter that’s great for getting around while you fight. By the time you've saved enough money for them, you've probably got a decent handle on what you're looking for in a ship.

Note that unlike many games, you get the full price of a thing back when you sell it. Don't be afraid to experiment with ships and loadouts - nor to upgrade your current ride while you're working your way towards a new one.

What should I do when I upgrade my ship?

OK, so the actual outfitting system in Elite is a game in and of itself. Here’s a few pointers:

Your first priorities when tweaking your ship should probably be the power distributor (it tends to be the cheapest thing on your ship yet makes literally everything better) and FSD (for ease of travel), followed by your shields, weapons and thrusters, the precise order depending on your preferences. Upgrade your power generator to keep up with demand, and don't worry overmuch about your life support or sensors. Try aiming for D- or C-rated core equipment first - those are still reasonably cost-efficient, while B- and A-grade equipment, while powerful, is dramatically more expensive. Start saving up for those when you've settled on a ship you'll be using for longer.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 12, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

All this corvette talk, but how does a cutter stack up against a corvette and anaconda in terms of PVE dps, maneuverability, cargo, and jump range? I’m hoping most of all to get a cutter.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

CornHolio posted:

With a couple of smart compromises you can push a combat-fit Corvette to 20ly. Namely:

Lightweight life support + sensors
- Preferably D-rated

Lightweight military armor
- You can make up the difference in hull by a large margin with a couple of heavy duty hull reinforcements
- Or consider heavy duty basic bulkheads if you want

Lvl1 overcharged powerplant + lightweight experimental mod
- You don't need the extra power, but getting the lightweight experimental helps
- Maybe you can optimize this more with a smaller overcharged powerplant that perfectly hits your power requirements

There's plenty more you can potentially strip down, but these are the items I judged to be totally non-essential even in the worst PVE fights.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
You don't want D-rated sensors for a combat build.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Blind Rasputin posted:

All this corvette talk, but how does a cutter stack up against a corvette and anaconda in terms of PVE dps, maneuverability, cargo, and jump range? I’m hoping most of all to get a cutter.

I found this video pretty helpful in going through the differences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8rluqzeOkc

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Now that I'm finally a Rear Admiral, I'm rigged out a Corvette for piracy and HazRes farming. Seems like with engineers I can't really mad a "Bad" fit for this.

I'm also very disappointed the flak Cannon turrets aren't like Battlestar Galactica flak.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is there anything wrong with D-Rated sensors and long range engineer mod?

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 12, 2018

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

I'm a big fan of the SRV jump you did on Merope yesterday :)

First time in a wing, was pretty neat. Also seeing your cutter from a SRV holy crap it's a huge ship.

But yeah, I'm a newbie too, I did use the exploits to get into a clipper way faster than I would have otherwise and bought a freaking paint kit and COVAS voice because I was enjoying it so much.

Yeah, thankfully I had a spare SRV in my spacious Cutter!

The only way I see that these exploits mess with old timers is unbanlance in the BGS. Other than that they can just "make their own fun" and ignore those of us that want a nice ship quick.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

jubjub64 posted:

The only way I see that these exploits mess with old timers is unbanlance in the BGS. Other than that they can just "make their own fun" and ignore those of us that want a nice ship quick.

As a grizzled, old-timey, vet/grognard/forumdad, I rest easy knowing that you filthy exploiters know gently caress all about piloting your brand new ship and are constantly wrecking yourselves just trying to undock from the station. You'll piss away your ill-gotten gains on all the rebuys it takes before you learn the proper way to pilot one of these majestic behemoths. All because you instant gratification casuals can't be assed to learn the ropes flying a cobra 3 for not less than 1000 hours actual flight time.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I ratted RES with D-rated after using A-rated since the Corvette was released and it's 100% fine. Better sensors are nice but it's an easy luxury to sacrifice.

Eldragon posted:

Is there anything wrong with D-Rated sensors and long range engineer mod?

The long range mod increases mass by a lot, so you're going to end up compromising somewhere in the middle anyway. You'll have to crunch the numbers in Coriolis and decide where you want it to land.

timn fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 12, 2018

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Prior to the engineer changes, D rated sensors with long range mod had better range than A-rated sensors with light weight mod and only slightly higher mass. Obviously long range modded A rated sensors will have the highest range, but the mass will hurt your speed and jump range.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Krycek posted:

As a grizzled, old-timey, vet/grognard/forumdad, I rest easy knowing that you filthy exploiters know gently caress all about piloting your brand new ship and are constantly wrecking yourselves just trying to undock from the station. You'll piss away your ill-gotten gains on all the rebuys it takes before you learn the proper way to pilot one of these majestic behemoths. All because you instant gratification casuals can't be assed to learn the ropes flying a cobra 3 for not less than 1000 hours actual flight time.

I’m guessing this is a joke (I hope), but lmao that there are real live adult humans out there with opinions this like this

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

I’m guessing this is a joke (I hope), but lmao that there are real live adult humans out there with opinions this like this

Some Frontier forums posters were openly asking others to gank newbies with big ships and to make their lives miserable in Open and saying that if they ever saw a "harmless" ranked person with a medium/big ship they'd make sure to chain gank them.

Good attitude for player retention for sure :D

Edit: VV Oh I mean sure, that's part of the game - and mostly why I want to be sure to have good flight habits in Solo/Private before I use my clipper in open all the time.

When it becomes bad is when you take a cruel pleasure out of it because you missed out on the exploit and are angry at newer players who took part in it. That spite is pretty weird.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 12, 2018

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
tbh if I ever saw a harmless commander in a big ship I'd probably swoop in for the kill too, not because of the principle of "omg somebody is playing the game incorrectly!" but because that's how the game works

that'll never happen though because I don't do those community goals and I've seen like two or three actual human players ever

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

the milk machine posted:

tbh if I ever saw a harmless commander in a big ship I'd probably swoop in for the kill too, not because of the principle of "omg somebody is playing the game incorrectly!" but because that's how the game works

that'll never happen though because I don't do those community goals and I've seen like two or three actual human players ever

I stay out of open because I assume every other player is in a fully engineered A-rated Anaconda and is out to get me. Sometimes I'll check it out but not in anything I'd be afraid to lose.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The first ever time I took a friend I'd just introduced to the game in Open, she bought her first Eagle. Flew it out of the mailslot and promptly got nailed by twin C4 PACs by some fuckwit in a Corvette.

She hasn't touched Open since.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

CornHolio posted:

I stay out of open because I assume every other player is in a fully engineered A-rated Anaconda and is out to get me. Sometimes I'll check it out but not in anything I'd be afraid to lose.

just lol if your reaction to an approaching ship isn't to roll over on your ship's belly and deploy cargo scoops

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Jesus, re: forums dads. Those guys need to uh, get away from their computers more often.

I’ll admit, I more or less used various exploits to grab “the big three” for myself, but A) I’m now using those ships to improve my various skills and B) I only play in Solo/Private, because one of the things that I like most about Elite is that I can just play according to my own little head cannon and not interfere with anyone else’s gameplay :cheers:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Some Frontier forums posters were openly asking others to gank newbies with big ships and to make their lives miserable in Open and saying that if they ever saw a "harmless" ranked person with a medium/big ship they'd make sure to chain gank them.

Jokes on them because killing skimmers gave combat rank.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

I’m guessing this is a joke

I'm surprised I haven't been asked to source my quote yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

CornHolio posted:

I was the same for the first little while. Now I play in open 99% of the time. I don't bother with PvP so I'm not sure why I do this; I guess it's too much work to scroll down another notch or two in the menu.

If you're not in the starter systems, doing community goals, or hitting a few popular spots like engineers or whatever, you'll almost never see another human. So solo/private is almost the same.

• Locked thread