Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oh, so I guess you can't get rank 4 or 5 engineering things with the remote workshop? Like you can't get the reputation or whatever the gently caress that's needed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Gonkish posted:

Oh, so I guess you can't get rank 4 or 5 engineering things with the remote workshop? Like you can't get the reputation or whatever the gently caress that's needed?

I realised I could not use the remote workshop to convert legacy mods into the new system. Perhaps that is your Problem, too?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Einbauschrank posted:

I realised I could not use the remote workshop to convert legacy mods into the new system. Perhaps that is your Problem, too?
It took me a bit to realize that too. I flew around in my DBX and got all the mods I wanted pinned then came back to upgrade my cutter and it said I had no eligible modules. At first I thought it had to be the same ranking or something (like I can only do size 5 FSDs) but then I realized it was because they were legacy. It was easier to just buy new modules and mod them instead of going out to convert them all. After getting new modules they all upgraded (all the way) at the remote workshop just fine.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
What's the most efficient way to make credits these days? I know the latest exploits are for reputation, though Sothis -> Ceos has one-way Palladium transport missions for up to 9mil I've seen. Nothing for the return trip except data missions.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

CapnBry posted:

It took me a bit to realize that too. I flew around in my DBX and got all the mods I wanted pinned then came back to upgrade my cutter and it said I had no eligible modules. At first I thought it had to be the same ranking or something (like I can only do size 5 FSDs) but then I realized it was because they were legacy. It was easier to just buy new modules and mod them instead of going out to convert them all. After getting new modules they all upgraded (all the way) at the remote workshop just fine.

If you're willing to lose your legacy engineering and start from scratch, you can also remotely remove engineering modifications in the ship loadout in outfitting. Just select the module and you can remove mods. No need to buy a new module, unless you want to keep a copy with the old legacy mod.

I didn't max out most of my mods anyway, so I didn't have a problem with just dumping rank 3 mods like that. They'd only be converted to rank 2 anyway.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

CornHolio posted:

What's the most efficient way to make credits these days? I know the latest exploits are for reputation, though Sothis -> Ceos has one-way Palladium transport missions for up to 9mil I've seen. Nothing for the return trip except data missions.

If you get a couple of friends with big ships together you can make big bucks right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZg-P_gWgJk

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Don't rely on remote engineering. It's a neat feature, but you also can't do experimental effects, so you can't max anything out unless you physically visit an engineer.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Did the Ngalinn/Mainan imp grind. Took about 3-4 hours but went from Unranked - Duke and made around 50 mil credits. It's still working as of this post.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Since you can grab the experimental at any rank, remote engineering works well if you plan ahead to do that during your visit. Then you can worry about putting the materials together to max out rank 5 anytime later while you're on the go.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

CapnBry posted:

That's weird, because I cannot get enough rep with the engineer to continue to mod my multi-cannons, FSD, or power plant. I have the mats, the plans show up, the rank 3 grade shows as "complete". Rank 4 and 5 are greyed out, and I can't do anything further with the rank 3. There's literally nothing that I can do here, I don't know what's up but something is hosed.

I guess I'm flying out to one of these fucks again to try to mod it in person, since I don't have any other option other than selling the drat part.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

timn posted:

Since you can grab the experimental at any rank, remote engineering works well if you plan ahead to do that during your visit. Then you can worry about putting the materials together to max out rank 5 anytime later while you're on the go.

true, but for me, for some strange reason, my drive on my vulture, which should be dirty, are strengthened. its odd. oh well. I pinned dirty, at the remote station it was pinned strengthened.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

timn posted:

Yeah, there's a neat little chart here that will let you strategically use your pins.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Gonkish posted:

I guess I'm flying out to one of these fucks again to try to mod it in person, since I don't have any other option other than selling the drat part.
Yeah, you must do that. You cannot increase engineer rank with remote engineering.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

CapnBry posted:

I did the same thing, pinned all the mods using a dbx but couldn't convert legacy mods on my other ships. I decided not to reset though. You still have to go to the engineer for experimental effects, so I am taking all my ships through the tour of engineers, converting their mods and adding experimentals. However, I'm holding off on maxing rank 5 mods while I farm mats. That way, I have all the experimentals that I want and can do the rest via remote.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Gonkish posted:

That's weird, because I cannot get enough rep with the engineer to continue to mod my multi-cannons, FSD, or power plant. I have the mats, the plans show up, the rank 3 grade shows as "complete". Rank 4 and 5 are greyed out, and I can't do anything further with the rank 3. There's literally nothing that I can do here, I don't know what's up but something is hosed.

You might be in a similar weird spot to what I got in with Tod. I had legacy rank 5 multicannons converted to rank 4, but my rep was only rank 3 because the last thing I did with him was spend a favor in the old system. I had to roll some mods on a throwaway module to get back on track.

They should have nixed the rep system too. It literally doesn't do anything if you engineer at least one module from scratch, but it can trip you up in weird ways if you're coming in from the old system.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
My gf bought me a T1600 for my bday, now I get to relearn how to (poorly) fly a spaceship!

Anyone have a bind file they like? I found one on reddit that seems pretty good.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

timn posted:

You might be in a similar weird spot to what I got in with Tod. I had legacy rank 5 multicannons converted to rank 4, but my rep was only rank 3 because the last thing I did with him was spend a favor in the old system. I had to roll some mods on a throwaway module to get back on track.

They should have nixed the rep system too. It literally doesn't do anything if you engineer at least one module from scratch, but it can trip you up in weird ways if you're coming in from the old system.

The weird thing is that I hadn't bothered at all with any of the engineers before this patch. So I've got one multi-cannon that can't get beyond rank 2 at all, and the rest are at rank 3. I guess I got too good a roll? The progress bar below the rank 2 mod is all nice and filled but... no rank 3 for some reason.

There's so much weird poo poo in this game.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Anaconda with efficient laser beams and thermal vents is fun. I am melting every enemy in seconds while temperature of my ship goes down.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mike the TV posted:

Don't rely on remote engineering. It's a neat feature, but you also can't do experimental effects, so you can't max anything out unless you physically visit an engineer.

Put the experimental effect you want on the g1 mod, THEN pin it. You now have the effect you want and can max-out the mod elsewhere, at your leisure! :eng101:

Not sure if you get rank via-remote: I am a groggyfrog who ranked all my engis ages ago. :spergin:

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Gonkish posted:

The weird thing is that I hadn't bothered at all with any of the engineers before this patch. So I've got one multi-cannon that can't get beyond rank 2 at all, and the rest are at rank 3. I guess I got too good a roll? The progress bar below the rank 2 mod is all nice and filled but... no rank 3 for some reason.

There's so much weird poo poo in this game.

If I'm understanding correctly then I think that has to be a bug. There's no reason for a module to get stuck at a rank lower than your rep with that engineer.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

jubjub64 posted:

If you go to some of the thargoid barnacles you can collect raw materials pretty quickly all in one location. Then you just logout then in and do it again: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/267849-Barnacles-Materials-Overview-or-Want-Materials-Will-Travel

Edit: You also want to scan the central/main barnacle thing with your srv. That way it will show up on your map as a point of interest every time you visit so you don't have to find it again.

By the way, they probably fixed this as relogging does nothing.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

By the way, they probably fixed this as relogging does nothing.

It must have been very recently because I was doing it like two days ago.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Maybe I'm cursed. Is there some special procedure?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe I'm cursed. Is there some special procedure?

I think I moved away from the site a little in my srv before relogging?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

jubjub64 posted:

How far abouts do you think one would need to be? Maybe I just parked too close?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

jubjub64 posted:

If you get a couple of friends with big ships together you can make big bucks right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZg-P_gWgJk

Holy poo poo there is an aspect of this game that actually rewards you for playing with other people now?

I might have to reinstall.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

jubjub64 posted:

Up to last night at 11pm EST it was working in Solo Mode at least. No need to leave the site.

Is the barnacle intact or destroyed (big central bulb-like thing)? Returning to the main menu and re-entering solo mode makes the tentacles respawn normally.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Up to last night at 11pm EST it was working in Solo Mode at least. No need to leave the site.

Is the barnacle intact or destroyed (big central bulb-like thing)? Returning to the main menu and re-entering solo mode makes the tentacles respawn normally.

That's what I did, several times, after harvesting them the first time they didn't come back. Central barnacle was not destroyed (can you/should you destroy those?)

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

How far abouts do you think one would need to be? Maybe I just parked too close?

Not very far, just outside the circle of tentacles. I don't really think that should matter though.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I'm gonna just chalk it down to the game being weird or me loving up somehow. Relogging for the Orrere crates is working, so...

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I did it I got prof. palin and even the guardian weapons.

I was delighted to learn that a a couple weeks ago, you didnt have to do the guardian pillar minigame 12x to get the two fixed guns, but now you do, so I surely enjoyed relogging and doing the pillar/sentials minigame twelve times.

I put the guardian plasma guns on my fer de lance but it seemed kind of underwhelming. Sustained fire from normal guns would have killed stuff much faster wouldn't it? Even fully charged up, and apparently getting a direct hit it still took many shots to kill poo poo.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Professor Palin can eat an entire bag of dicks. You would think the game would at least look to see if you have your name stamped on random poo poo somewhere, and use that as the "maximum distance" traveled... but no. I have my named stamped on poo poo out towards the Crab Nebula, 8000 Ly from the loving bubble, and the game tells me that I've only traveled a max distance of 450 Ly... why? Why? WHY?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Gonkish posted:

Professor Palin can eat an entire bag of dicks. You would think the game would at least look to see if you have your name stamped on random poo poo somewhere, and use that as the "maximum distance" traveled... but no. I have my named stamped on poo poo out towards the Crab Nebula, 8000 Ly from the loving bubble, and the game tells me that I've only traveled a max distance of 450 Ly... why? Why? WHY?

I'd contact support.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is the Horizons launcher crashing for anyone else? I can't get the game to boot out of Steam right now. When I try I get an error about failure to synchronize time with the server. The regular Elite launcher is working, just not Horizons.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

EDIT: Sorry, double post.

Cedhed
Feb 27, 2006
Whee!

Arcturas posted:

Is the Horizons launcher crashing for anyone else? I can't get the game to boot out of Steam right now. When I try I get an error about failure to synchronize time with the server. The regular Elite launcher is working, just not Horizons.

Yeah it's down for me too. Looks like its pretty widespread

http://downdetector.com/status/elite-dangerous

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/415401-Horizons-server-is-dead/

Cedhed fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 16, 2018

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

hakimashou posted:

I did it I got prof. palin and even the guardian weapons.

I was delighted to learn that a a couple weeks ago, you didnt have to do the guardian pillar minigame 12x to get the two fixed guns, but now you do, so I surely enjoyed relogging and doing the pillar/sentials minigame twelve times.

I put the guardian plasma guns on my fer de lance but it seemed kind of underwhelming. Sustained fire from normal guns would have killed stuff much faster wouldn't it? Even fully charged up, and apparently getting a direct hit it still took many shots to kill poo poo.

They're supposed to be the equivalent of mildly engineered versions of the things they're based on, iirc. So, size-2 plasma accelerators, in this case. They're nothing amazing _unless_ you're fighting thargoids (and even then, gauss > plasma chargers). 4x gauss demolish thargoids.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I got a set of gauss ones too.

I thought they were some whizbang great thing with the huge grind involved to get em but alas.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Ok, heads up if you're going to try the palladium supply wing missions. I've spent the last 45 minutes trying to find some within 100Lys of HR 1064 and I only need 700 units. I made a decent couple of 10 million between Auroka and HR 1064 with my Cutter doing commodity delivery missions while filling an indium supply mission, though.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Ok, heads up if you're going to try the palladium supply wing missions. I've spent the last 45 minutes trying to find some within 100Lys of HR 1064 and I only need 700 units. I made a decent couple of 10 million between Auroka and HR 1064 with my Cutter doing commodity delivery missions while filling an indium supply mission, though.

Eddb.io was a big help. Finding a supply and the 24 hour time limit are the only real obstacles in the wing delivery missions. I could see shortening the time it takes/expanding the stations it's realistic to fly out to by maybe traveling to a supply source in a long range, lower-cargo-capacity explorer vessel and summoning your actual hauler when you get there, but that could eat into the money you make pretty quickly.

• Locked thread