Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
this thread also reminded me of the hours and hours me and my cousins spent playing sleuth on DOS, at their place I was too poor to have a computer till I was way older

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

I worked at an enterprise IT firm pre-dotcom bomb and they had just put in a fancy multi-rack server farm for handling the corporate email platform. The system ran great right after boot-up but give it 10 mins or so and the system would get sluggish and eventually grind to a halt.

After weeks of troubleshooting it turned out that windows NT “pipes” screensaver was enabled by the engineers that installed the system. Since none of the servers had any 3D video hardware, the cpu load of rendering the screensaver was high enough to cause the email software to backlog and crap out.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I want my flying toasters.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I still use a screensaver for an hour + then turn the display off. old habits die hard.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

No. 6 posted:

I want my flying toasters.

When do you want them?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

My favourite thing about screen savers was there was a lot of them that only selectively saved the screen. Leaving large parts of the screen unsaved.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
in college this girl made her pics folder be the screensaver on her powerbook but she accidentally selected the whole pics folder (not just the artsy ones) and once during class it started cycling through a nude selfie photo shoot she'd done of herself in the dorm laundry

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
she also got super flustered and forgot her pw so she just slammed it shut and ran out of the room :3:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
getting mad, real mad at the retard who keeps missing the smiley face in the maze

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Are you mean mad?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's because of millenials, op. Older generations were wiser and frankly better, but millenials just want to spend spend spend, never save.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Buy an Apple Lisa IIE and put After Dark flying toasters on it, then put in a gallery as an objet d'art and charge nerds $9000 for it

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
There was one in the mid-90's where a bunch of macaroni danced and sang the Macarena. Probably the happiest memory of my youth.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Zoe posted:

In school there was one where fish would swim across the screen from both directions, and if they bumped in to each other, the biggest one would eat the other. It was exciting because it wasn't always obvious which was the biggest because of fins and thinsgs, so it really kept you guessing. kept me entertained all day.

That sounds like the game, Odell Lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb3XhWL3rEQ&t=149s

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Ruggan posted:

The gently caress is that

DEATH TO VIDEODROME

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Long live the new flesh!

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

https://youtu.be/Oc-BmfuDBB4

Go toasters gooooo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ruggan posted:

The gently caress is that

shameful

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Caganer posted:

i was trying to track down that matrix text one for my macbook and couldnt find one i wasn't afraid would turn my computer into a dogecoin mining rig so now i just have that lovely sunburst thing.

use xscreensaver
https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/

it’s a collection of a bunch of open source screensavers that works on OSX (guy won’t compile it for windows though because he is a linux guy and hates microsoft lol)
most of them are dumb but there’s some gems and it’s a reasonable install and they do have a the matrix you can see some screenshots and descriptions here: https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/screenshots/

my favorite After Dark screensavers were Bad Dog and what I now realize was a Rock Paper Scissors MOBA. I have no idea why the grown ups liked the flying toasters

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
XScreenSaver is still around; they even have an ios app. Cubone described it very well.

I wish it was easier to run After Dark in a VM.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

...and the pitch! posted:

When do you want them?

As of 1995

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseface
Oct 19, 2005

Nap Ghost
For the nostalgic, Johnny Castaway was the island screensaver where he would intermittently do things like fish, climb the tree trying to get coconuts, spell out sos in the sand and dream about being rescued.

There's been a few versions, but the sierra/dynamix one (original) is still about and should be relatively bitcoin miner free.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Castaway

• Locked thread