Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

I know a few people are on the fence about dropping 2 benjis on hearing protection when they already have a ~$40 set of Howard Leights. Well I finally caved and had to see what the hype was about, so here are some of my initial observations from my 2 days of ownership.

Keep in mind I've owned the Howard Leight's for 6 years now, so they're not exactly a fresh example, but I don't recall them ever being much better.

I have not had a chance to take these to the range yet, but I might be able to head over this weekend and give them a live fire test.

So far though, they are extremely comfortable to wear. Even when wearing my Howard Leights for just a few minutes for the pictures below, the clamping on my skull was uncomfortable. The Peltors did not have that issue and were quite comfortable.

Peltors left, Howard Leights right
front view

back view

They're approximately the same size, with the Howard Leight's being a little longer. Also, what I consider to be most important, the Peltor's have a scallop on the bottom side that gives it slightly more clearance when shouldering rifles. The Howard Leights tend to get pushed off my head when I try to shoulder rifles sometimes, and that completely negates their effectiveness. I don't think the Peltors will have this problem, or at least it will be less of a problem.

The controls are another important point of difference between them, but the Howard Leights beat out the Peltors this time. The Peltor has an up/down switch on the bottom of one of the side scallops. You turn them on and off by pressing and holding the button(s), and then use them to raise or lower the volume between what I think are 3 or 4 different levels. The Howard Leights have a rolling switch where one side is all the way off, when you start to spin it, it clicks, and then you have analog control of the audio level.

The audio itself seems to be more clear in the Peltors. They both work fine, and I wouldn't call either of them great, but the Peltors audio seems more crisp. I think using them at the range will be the real test for this.

The ear muffs themselves are night and day different. The Howard Leights have a thin, fairly rigid foam, with an awful rubbery cover on it. The cups are also not that deep, so people with big ears like myself have their ears squashed a bit. Besides the discomfort from that, the rubber also tends to cause my skin to sweat and isn't comfortable for extended periods of time. It also means that the muffs glue themselves together with the dried sweat after the range trip. The Peltors on the other hand have big subtle and soft gel cups. The cups have some sort of double cup setup which I think helps maintain a seal on eyewear and if they get jostled on your head a bit while shoulder a rifle. Additionally, the space for your ear is 1.5 to 2 times as deep as on the Howard Leights.

Test fitting with glasses:

lovely rounded frame Remington glasses. Howard Leights do not get a seal on these

Peltors do! You can see the soft gel forming around them

Thin metal frame glasses
Howard Leights lay on top of them and get a pretty good seal

But Peltors do it better

Shoulderin' Gats: The most important of tests

FAL

RPK

HK33

Winchester 1897

AR15

I was using the timer so some of the pictures aren't perfect, BUT overall the Peltors kicked the Howard Leights rear end. The HK33, RPK, and 1897 did not have much issue with the Howard Leights, but the AR15 and FAL have been giving me issues where they push the Howard Leights up off my ear if I'm not careful. The Peltors don't seem to be (as) susceptible to the problem.

So overall, I'd say I'm pretty hyped about trying them at the range because if they're as good as I think they will be, it will definitely be a worthy purchase I should have made sooner. If I was doing it all over again would I start with the Peltors? Probably not. The Howard Leights are a really good value, and I'll still get use out of them with guests for years to come. However, if you're enjoying this hobby and see yourself doing it for years to come, the Peltors are a great investment in comfort and usability. They're probably not 5x as good as the Howard Leights like their price is, but they are at least twice as nice, and that makes them worth it to me.

I know a bunch of other people have bought these, so I'd be curious what others experiences and opinions of them are. Especially compared to other earpro options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

THANK YOU. Holy poo poo this is the detail I CRAVE

loud-bob
Feb 11, 2004

AHHHHHHHH

Great post. I've been excited about making the jump to the comtac IIIs and this just solidifies my choice. They arrive next week.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Someone needs to come in here and do a comparison with Peltors and Sordins now

Good post though, I was wondering if the Leights I used a while back getting bumped around by a stock was on account of me not wearing them right or not.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Great thread and gently caress you for making me want to get new headphones now.

Do Peltors ever go on sale?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Great thread and gently caress you for making me want to get new headphones now.

Do Peltors ever go on sale?

I'd say jump on the 20% off eBay coupon but that ended 46 minutes ago

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Herr Tog posted:

THANK YOU. Holy poo poo this is the detail I CRAVE

Yes, thanks for this! I'm doing this same progression. I was going to wait a bit and see, but I jumped on that ebay deal at lunch today because of the overwhelming positive feedback in the deals thread after I asked about 'em. Seeing how much improved the shouldering is made me feel good about it already.

A fair point toward sending the Franklin brothers on their way was earpro is something you use with every gun, every range trip, and at every forest/desert outing. So I think it'll be worth it. My Howard Leights can be my range guest pair so I can talk to them normally.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I'd say jump on the 20% off eBay coupon but that ended 46 minutes ago

For the record I think they were $200 on sale via Botach-ebay just now and also a few months back but who knows when it'll happen again.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

I've used both but these are what I shoot with now

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NKSMPZW/ref=oh_aui_i_sh_in_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The nrr is really high and I used to double up with the noise cancelling muffs. With these ar's can be shot indoors but I wouldn't do it for long.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Capn Beeb posted:

Good post though, I was wondering if the Leights I used a while back getting bumped around by a stock was on account of me not wearing them right or not.

I ordered a Comtac 3 set last night so once they come in I'll be able to show all three together.

Until then here are some pictures I took a while back.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

I sexually identify as a fat tinder girl,

Yeah lemme just clean my pannus first.

These candles smell amazing btw

Most important of all: you can purchase an adapter cable to connect your cell phone jack right into your peltor headset. This allows you to pipe Miley Cyrus directly into your ears while youíre blasting at the range. Pretty neat!

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Peltor-Intercom-Adaptor-Lead-To-FMT120-Amplifier-For-iPhone-iPod-iPad-Rally-/141418887657?_mwBanner=1

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Deathy McDeath posted:

Most important of all: you can purchase an adapter cable to connect your cell phone jack right into your peltor headset. This allows you to pipe Miley Cyrus directly into your ears while youíre blasting at the range. Pretty neat!

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Peltor-Intercom-Adaptor-Lead-To-FMT120-Amplifier-For-iPhone-iPod-iPad-Rally-/141418887657?_mwBanner=1

I believe this is the cable actually needed

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-Peltor-...YsAAOSwInxXNqyc

I'm debating on buying it

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Deathy McDeath posted:

Pricey. If you know the connector spec you could roll your own. The comtacs should have a similar if not same intercom lead.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene

Fun Shoe

stgdz posted:

I've used both but these are what I shoot with now

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NKSMPZW/ref=oh_aui_i_sh_in_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The nrr is really high and I used to double up with the noise cancelling muffs. With these ar's can be shot indoors but I wouldn't do it for long.

These are basically what I have now so I'm curious how they stack up.
(Similarly the Howard Leight Impact Pros vs Peltor Sport Tactical 500s would be good to test against each other)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Shaocaholica posted:

Pricey. If you know the connector spec you could roll your own. The comtacs should have a similar if not same intercom lead.

This is actually my plan. The Comtacs are just two single channel plugs. So I should be able to just jam some leads in there connected to a 3.5mm mono jack and be good to go.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I mean personally I could care less about music/phone at the range unless I somehow find that perfect place with no other people. Even for phone I'm not going to take a call on the line.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

Shaocaholica posted:

I mean personally I could care less about music/phone at the range unless I somehow find that perfect place with no other people. Even for phone I'm not going to take a call on the line.

Howard Leights have the jack as well. It's pretty useful for playing back bullseye commands/timers when I'm practicing.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
NRA shill who thinks homeless people would love to live in migrant border camps. Help me realize I am a bigoted piece of shit.

Shaocaholica posted:

I found that music both helps my shooting as well as my golf swing.

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

i wrote a post about my impressions of the different ear pro here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820566&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post472376065

Capn Beeb posted:

i think if you're not going to double up comtac 3's are better because they have better hearing protection than sordins and if you are going to double up the sordins are better because you can hear what other people are saying better. it's harder to hear what people are saying when you double up with the comtacs even with the amplification boost on. other than that and mounting them to a helmet they're pretty much the same

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Great now I need a case for these and those mall ninja head straps.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

I believe this is the cable actually needed

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-Peltor-...YsAAOSwInxXNqyc

I'm debating on buying it

please buy and report. I CRAVE IT.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Herr Tog posted:

please buy and report. I CRAVE IT.

I found a cheaper one ($20) on Amazon and already bought it

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

These are basically what I have now so I'm curious how they stack up.
(Similarly the Howard Leight Impact Pros vs Peltor Sport Tactical 500s would be good to test against each other)

its a 31db nrr vs the 21 nrr of the noise cancelling headphones. I will gladly drop the noise cancelling for an additional 10db of NRR.

Looks like 3m has their own 31db nrr https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CPCHBCQ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00CPCHBCQ&pd_rd_wg=J4WcN&pd_rd_r=FKV8C7BWDBQACWKR9EWG&pd_rd_w=3gLGM wish I would have purchased those instead.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

They're not noise-canceling, they're the opposite since they amplify ambient noise.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

stgdz posted:

its a 31db nrr vs the 21 nrr of the noise cancelling headphones. I will gladly drop the noise cancelling for an additional 10db of NRR.

Looks like 3m has their own 31db nrr https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CPCHBCQ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00CPCHBCQ&pd_rd_wg=J4WcN&pd_rd_r=FKV8C7BWDBQACWKR9EWG&pd_rd_w=3gLGM wish I would have purchased those instead.

As good as the noise attenuation device as the 3M Peltor X-Series is, it's not really the same beast as the ComTac IIIs. The 3M Peltor X-Series ear-pro are designed to be inexpensive hearing protection that offers the maximum amount of souund dampening, while the ComTac IIIs serve as a reasonably comfortable communications device that is designed to work with other pieces of PPE, and allow the user to easily shoulder a firearm.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

What should one look for if they want nice ear pro, compatibility with rifle stocks, but have no need for comms and other PPE?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

What should one look for if they want nice ear pro, compatibility with rifle stocks, but have no need for comms and other PPE?

I'd still probably recommend Sordin Pro X or Comtac 3 for that. The Sordins just have a simple aux-in port rather than the more com-focused Comtacs

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

I got these NRR 26 Peltors and like them but they're bulkier than the IIIs and you have to buy gels for them. I get zero interference shooting most guns but on a full sized scoped rifle they'd bump it a little and I suspect different people may have different needs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006968YM/

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Ill have to see how much of a discount I can get on the 3M employee sale. I get Peltor TEP-100 plugs for $90 and they are a $300+ msrp so hopefully the Comtac's will be in the $100-150 range

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Internet Wizard posted:

I'd still probably recommend Sordin Pro X or Comtac 3 for that. The Sordins just have a simple aux-in port rather than the more com-focused Comtacs

It looks like you can toss gels into these guys which is where the ComTacs derive most of their comfort from.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 12, 2018

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

ZebraBlade posted:

Ill have to see how much of a discount I can get on the 3M employee sale. I get Peltor TEP-100 plugs for $90 and they are a $300+ msrp so hopefully the Comtac's will be in the $100-150 range

MN?

unknonymous
May 16, 2013

I've got one of those audio cables for my Comtac IIIs and it works well. Stereo audio and all that. Though if you want to double up, you've got to wear some 22 dB NRR or less earplugs, at least with my phone. Otherwise you can't really hear it.

I bought this one off eBay for about $21 from this seller. They don't seem to have them listed on their eBay store anymore, though.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

SD

Im not an employee but I got a gun bro that works at the plant and he hooks me up. $3 air premium filters, all the PPE gear you could ever need for next to nothing, and tape for like $1 at the 3M yard sale is hella cool.

loud-bob
Feb 11, 2004

AHHHHHHHH

I just got my comtac 3s from botach and they are very nicely shaped and the gel is great with my glasses. The mics also pickup a lot of noises. But they also seemed to pickup radio interference from my wireless router. When I stand near it and then my head a certain way, I can hear some soft pops in the background. Iíll have to experiment some more to figure out what it is exactly.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

So after discovering Botach is now local to me....

Where have these been all my life? They are amazingly comfortable. Howard who?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Wait, the botach ones are brown or black or OD???

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait, the botach ones are brown or black or OD???

They had all three.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Botach-Ebay? Currently they only have the black ones listed.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

I bought this cable to try out playing audio on my Comtac's and it works well. Somehow it's not available anymore, but you can find clones of these cables around. Mine was $20.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L0O8Y98/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The interesting thing is the headset doesn't have to be on (maybe not even powered?) to play audio from the cable. The downside is that the audio is mono, not stereo, but the headset does play out of both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

SpartanIvy posted:

I bought this cable to try out playing audio on my Comtac's and it works well. Somehow it's not available anymore, but you can find clones of these cables around. Mine was $20.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L0O8Y98/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The interesting thing is the headset doesn't have to be on (maybe not even powered?) to play audio from the cable. The downside is that the audio is mono, not stereo, but the headset does play out of both sides.

The connectors pictured are mono connectors so youíll never get stereo from that cable. Look at the other cable linked above. It has stereo connectors.

• Locked thread