Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Shaocaholica posted:

The connectors pictured are mono connectors so youíll never get stereo from that cable. Look at the other cable linked above. It has stereo connectors.

I wasn't expecting stereo, nor do I really care. I also don't think the cable above has the right connector for the Comtacs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Got mine! Yay. Just watching some youtube with them on to see how the mics are for low level noise. Good so far.

SpartanIvy posted:

I wasn't expecting stereo, nor do I really care. I also don't think the cable above has the right connector for the Comtacs.

I'm talking about these:

https://www.valley-ent.com/store/audio-input-cable-equivalent-to-peltor-fl6n-3-5mm-gold-stereo-plug-51-length.html

Notice the stereo 3.5mm connector.

The Amazon ones you linked:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L0O8Y98/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Has a mono 3.5mm connector which would be incapable of sending stereo audio.

So the Comtac IIIs should be able to do stereo sound acting as passive headphones as you described them working without power. But there should be some sort of mixer built in so the mics and input can be output at the same time.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I browsed around and saw some reviews of the Comtac IIIs that have incorrect info on how the buttons work.

Press and hold EITHER button - Turns mics on or off. You will hear a high pitched beep when turning on and a low pitched beep when turning off.
Press the button that is forward - turns the volume up. When at max volume you will hear a beep.
Press the button that is rearward - turns the volume down. When at min volume you will hear a beep.

I really like this simple control layout.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Shaocaholica posted:

Got mine! Yay. Just watching some youtube with them on to see how the mics are for low level noise. Good so far.

I'm talking about these:

https://www.valley-ent.com/store/audio-input-cable-equivalent-to-peltor-fl6n-3-5mm-gold-stereo-plug-51-length.html

Notice the stereo 3.5mm connector.

The Amazon ones you linked:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L0O8Y98/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Has a mono 3.5mm connector which would be incapable of sending stereo audio.

So the Comtac IIIs should be able to do stereo sound acting as passive headphones as you described them working without power. But there should be some sort of mixer built in so the mics and input can be output at the same time.

Despite having a stereo plug you only get a single channel of sound through those. At best it combines both left and right sides, but it probably is just wired to one conductor on the plug, and the ground.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Got my set in today, and I'm swapping the headband for ARC rail adapters. It's a really simple process, but holy crap putting the ARC clips on is hard.

Also it's destructive to the headband, so it's mostly a one-way process.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I really wish I had caught the sale when it happened because I broke my cheaper over the ears ones today by bonking into a tree with them like a monumental dumbass. I'd been planning on getting better ones for some time now but just hadn't had a compelling reason.

I'm really happy you posted this thread because you hit on pretty much everything I wanted to know for the comparison. As it is I ended up buying the comtac iii's from botach-ebay just because I want them sooner rather than an indeterminate later, we'll call it the dipshit tax for not looking where I was going.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The trend for this specific sale is once a year.

I have a bunch of barely used HLs Iím going to retire if you want one cheap.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

The trend for this specific sale is once a year.

I have a bunch of barely used HLs Iím going to retire if you want one cheap.

PM sent.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

PirateDentist posted:

Coyote Tan! The color that will hide all the desert dust well.

Nice. I'm deciding between the OD or cotoye. Gonna post this reply to the comtac thread.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Ok, I now have both the HL Impact Sports and the Peltor Comtac III myself to do a mini-review. At this point, I haven't shot yet with either, since I ordered the Comtac III and then without really meaning to acquired 3 sets of HL Impact Sports. Those came on Wednesday, the Comtacs came today. I will hopefully have some time to pop a few rounds off in the backyard tomorrow to get a better test.

Instead, I watched TV today for a while with each type.

For my ears, which aren't crazy weird but stick out somewhat, the Comtac III is wildly more comfortable. Not even close. It also works significantly better with glasses - I have to fiddle a bit with the HL to get a good seal with eyewear, but it just kind of deals with itself on the Comtacs.

Sound quality on the Comtacs is also better. The mics also seem a little better at filtering out minor wind noise, simulated by turning the ceiling fan on high. It's not a big deal either way, but they are better.

I did a quick shouldering test with an AR-15 and a Tavor X95. I think I would honestly give them a tie on this. I guess I have to think about the Comtacs a little less, but it's not much of a difference.

The summary for me is that I much prefer the comtacs, almost entirely because they are considerably more comfortable on my ears. The OP talking about ears that stick out was kind of the deciding factor for me to order them sight unseen, and I definitely agree. They also seem to seal better with eyewear and I think I could probably get away without wearing foam plugs under them easier, depending on what I'm shooting. If I didn't have my particular ears, I think I would like the HL ones nearly as much. If you don't have ears that make the HL ones uncomfortable, I don't think I would spend the money for the Comtachs. I'm glad I picked up the HL Impact Sports for my wife and friends that I have over to shoot, as it'll help with talking to each other and they're a good product for most people. Thanks to OP for the thread and Shaocaholica for the HLs.

*Bonus mini-mini review of the sunglasses - Botach saw fit to include a free pair of Edge Legends Deathproof ballistic sunglasses (These) and I tried them on for a bit. They seem to work well - they're pretty comfortable and fit right. I'm not used to shooting with sunglasses, but I'll give them a shot. I don't know if I'd pay $80 for them at this point, but they were definitely better than I expected out of them.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

I sexually identify as a fat tinder girl,

Yeah lemme just clean my pannus first.

These candles smell amazing btw

I really need to get some good shooting glasses with prescription lenses that I can wear under my Peltors. From what I remember, Oakley bulges out from my head, and although I didn't try WileyX glasses with them, I remember them being pretty thick. Anyone have any suggestions?

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Deathy McDeath posted:

I really need to get some good shooting glasses with prescription lenses that I can wear under my Peltors. From what I remember, Oakley bulges out from my head, and although I didn't try WileyX glasses with them, I remember them being pretty thick. Anyone have any suggestions?

WileyX Black Ops was mentioned in a couple other threads recently. I'd been meaning to go check them out but I ended up just getting contacts (well, one contact) for my right eye to sort out the astigmatism so I can just wear normal shooting glasses without having to constantly replace 2 sets of glasses, one of which insurance won't touch.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Having worked at a Sunglass Hut for a while in college, I can say Oakley's are overprice, cheaply made, look awful, and when people put prescriptions in them they would always pop out.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

My Wiley X Valors fit without any issues with my comtacs and sordins

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Does anyone own or know if there is a difference in fit on a pair of Peltor comtacs 3 and the Peltor tactical sport?

Y'all are talking up the Comtac's 3, when for a regular old range user I wouldn't give a rats rear end about how it fits helmets perfectly, or that it has a supergrade military level coms hookup. I just want a good hearing proctection with good fit. My Howard Leights while functional feel odd after wearing doubling them up for more than 2 hours.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Deathy McDeath posted:

Smith Hudsons work p good without looking HELLO I AM A GUN PERSON HOW DO YOU DO like other shooting glasses tend to.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I have Smith Clarks that I am beyond happy with. I had a couple oakley pairs (gas cans?) that got lost/stolen over the years and I'm glad to be rid of them. Jesus christ I looked so goofy.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

Finally got out to the range with my comtacs. Where have these things been all my life? In over 5 hours at the range I think I only took them off once, and then just to de-sweatify a bit.

Worth every penny.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Just, please, nobody buy any loving Oakley's. At best you'll look like a rich rear end in a top hat, at worst you'll look like a redneck rear end in a top hat with a credit card.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Capn Beeb posted:

Smith Hudsons work p good without looking HELLO I AM A GUN PERSON HOW DO YOU DO like other shooting glasses tend to.

Been wearing Hudsons for like 7 years now and am very happy with them. It works, so I stick with it.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Captain Log posted:

Just, please, nobody buy any loving Oakley's. At best you'll look like a rich rear end in a top hat, at worst you'll look like a redneck rear end in a top hat with a credit card.

Counterpoint - my Hijinx and Antix have been the only sunglasses I've found that look decent on my face. Raybans were too heavy, and all the rest of the oakley lineup were the wrong shape for me, but these rootbeer colors squarish things have done pretty well for me.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

sky shark posted:

Counterpoint - my Hijinx and Antix have been the only sunglasses I've found that look decent on my face. Raybans were too heavy, and all the rest of the oakley lineup were the wrong shape for me, but these rootbeer colors squarish things have done pretty well for me.

If I recall, you have a shaved head. Weirdly, those were the only people they would "work" for. But I don't think I ever sold a pair (we got commissions) and would steer people to Maui Jim, Revo, Persol, or anything with decent customer service. Oakley's were the only brand in the store where none of our coverage policies applied.

My main problem with Oakley's is their ridiculous price point compared to what you get. $280 for a polycarbonate un-filtered lens in plastic frames? Ehhh....

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

I have a pair of oakleys with shallow water prizm lenses that I use for kayaking, and that's about it. They look kind of dumb but they are very good lenses for kayaking.

After I bought them I tried to get off of their spam list. I am unable. Their tech support can't help. Their phone support can't help. Nothing can get me off of those e-mails, and they are definitely coming direct from Oakley, not some 3rd party. Mail headers are pretty clear.

If you must buy oakleys, customizing them is not worth the e-mail hassle since you'll never be able to stop it.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

this is turning into the glasses thread. Is this permittable cause I GOT QUESTIONS

also what is the final word on the cord that works with the comtac?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Herr Tog posted:

this is turning into the glasses thread. Is this permittable cause I GOT QUESTIONS

also what is the final word on the cord that works with the comtac?

Ask away, brother. I can fill you in on the Sunglass Hut/LenCrafter/Luxotica brands.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

Ask away, brother. I can fill you in on the Sunglass Hut/LenCrafter/Luxotica brands.

My job is giving me a cool discount on Julbo and Maui Jim's and I want some RX sunglasses for driving and shooting. recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Herr Tog posted:

My job is giving me a cool discount on Julbo and Maui Jim's and I want some RX sunglasses for driving and shooting. recommendations?

Julbo - I know nothing. After my time I guess.

Maui Jims are loving awesome glasses that last forever. However, a lot of what you are paying for are the super expensive lenses. Proceed accordingly.

If they give you more frame choices, looks at Persol. Hell, the old style of Ray Bans are cheap china made poo poo but the styles are good.

• Locked thread