Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Looks like Shak came ready to gently caress today.

grah posted:

But I have also very much enjoyed watching Judit Polgar do her best to tolerate that British dude.

https://twitter.com/chess24com/status/976184356808032256

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I'm curious what Shak is thinking about here. Assuming that f3-fxg4 was prep (which is very likely), he should still be in control of the position and know that he's not facing any kind of lethal attack. So Qe6 is probably familiar, but I wonder if he's spotted something he didn't consider at the time, and is trying to remember how to play against it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Lev...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I respect the kings only draw between the top two.

Also Lev.... :(

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Slow day highlighted by Jan asking Peter "where his kids stand on the moon landing"

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

algebra testes posted:

Slow day highlighted by Jan asking Peter "where his kids stand on the moon landing"

Ding also choked a completely winning game, keeping his perfect tournament intact.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Hand Knit posted:

Ding also choked a completely winning game, keeping his perfect tournament intact.

I thought he'd played this candidates perfectly. Drawn the first lump of games and kept himself in touch with the leaders, spending less time at the board then anyone else, only to come back and find wins against those who were out of the tournament but looks like the pressure got to him.

Also Lev :smith: bottom of the rankings having been most people's pick to win it. He must be absolutely devastated with the prep he put in and the weight of his country pretty much annointinflg him challnger to Magnus.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I think Ding has a ton of pressure on him from home as well, but also I think it seems like he thinks the rest of the field is better, so when he's got a winning position he gets too eager and flubs it, but when he is down he digs in really tenaciously. I've enjoyed several of his games where he has clawed a draw out of who knows where. He's also only 25!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

We've been talking about this as a race between Mamedyarov and Caruana, but if Karjakin beats Caruana with white today then he could move into a tie for first.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Tied for first presuming Shak draws, and if that were the case, with three wins, I think he would actually win on tie-breaks if the tournament ended today.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

We've been talking about this as a race between Mamedyarov and Caruana, but if Karjakin beats Caruana with white today then he could move into a tie for first.

That would be classic Karjakin

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

algebra testes posted:

Caruana's down pawn(s) for being up the exchange for like, the hundredth time this tournament somehow. A lot of the endgames he's had out of that have looked incredibly dangerous for both players, so, it should be interesting at least.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

i would hate this so so much

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

All four games today are quite interesting. I don't know if we're lucky or unlucky that the wildest one, Kramnik — So, is irrelevant to the tournament.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Mamedyarov is in trouble against Ding. If he loses and Caruana survives, that could just about wrap up the tournament.

e: Of course, if both Ding and Karjakin win, then we could go into the last two rounds with:

7/12 Caruana, Karjakin
6.5/12 Mamedyarov, Grischuk, Ding

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 24, 2018

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

It seems really stupid that the previous loser gets an automatic spot in the tournament. But then tjis whole thing seems like a really bad way to choose a world champion.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Hand Knit posted:

Mamedyarov is in trouble against Ding. If he loses and Caruana survives, that could just about wrap up the tournament.

e: Of course, if both Ding and Karjakin win, then we could go into the last two rounds with:

7/12 Caruana, Karjakin
6.5/12 Mamedyarov, Grischuk, Ding

This is starting to look likely, Caruana's position is real bad, and he just dropped another pawn. And Mamedyarov resigned after Ding got a second Queen on the board. 2 rounds and four players within half a point of the lead is going to be something to see.

edit: 5, with Grischuk if he holds a draw, which seems likely as well.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

You had to say it.

Not a fan of Karjarkin/Carlsen 2. There are a dozen players I'd rather see get the chance.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Karjakin - Ding looks like it will be tasty in the last round. Both players will likely have a chance to take the tournament with a win.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

You had to say it.

Not a fan of Karjarkin/Carlsen 2. There are a dozen players I'd rather see get the chance.

It would be a total disaster for world chess. Who would want to watch it?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

bigfoot again posted:

It seems really stupid that the previous loser gets an automatic spot in the tournament. But then tjis whole thing seems like a really bad way to choose a world champion.

Actually it's rather exciting?

chess24 is a day late with news and the FIDE site is down. Where do you guys go for up to date information?

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Doctor Malaver posted:

Actually it's rather exciting?

chess24 is a day late with news and the FIDE site is down. Where do you guys go for up to date information?

The wikipedia page for the tournament is actually really well updated and the cleanest, easiest way to quickly find results and pairings/scheduling that I can find. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candidates_Tournament_2018

The FIDE site is terrible, but usually is at least functional (guess not right now though, oh well).

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Flayer posted:

Karjakin - Ding looks like it will be tasty in the last round. Both players will likely have a chance to take the tournament with a win.

I'd be down with King Ding

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Why don't they just use the players with FIDE rankings 2-9 as the field? Or the top eight ranked players outside of Magnus.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

actionjackson posted:

Why don't they just use the players with FIDE rankings 2-9 as the field? Or the top eight ranked players outside of Magnus.

A virtue of the current system is that it captures a reasonable cross-section of the best players while giving a way in for players who might not have a great rating at the start of the season. There are probably additional considerations for wanting to avoid a rating race, since that might lead to players avoiding playing for the sake of protecting their ratings.

I also think there's something particularly rad about qualifying by winning the World Cup, and then winning candidates.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My real regret is that tournament books aren't a thing any more because this would be a hell of a read.

edit: and as hand knit points out also it makes people play the fide grand prix/world cup events which in theory then gives more high quality chess tournaments to watch. World Cup was fun though.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 25, 2018

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah there would need to some additional stipulations, like top X players that have played at least Y tournaments, or whatever

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

actionjackson posted:

Yeah there would need to some additional stipulations, like top X players that have played at least Y tournaments, or whatever

I still like having ways in for people whose rating peak doesn't coincide with the 9 months prior to the candidates selection cut-off or whatever. Like, the tournament is definitely better for having Ding in it.

e: It's entirely possible that for next candidates cycle Wei Yi is going to be able to qualify through the GP or World Cup, and it's pretty doubtful he could possibly get there by rating.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

actionjackson posted:

Also you should have top rated female player as well. Like actually I'm mad that this isn't a thing, and fair play to the tournaments that do invite people like Hou Yifan even if that's only a recent thing.

Another thing though is that strangely tournaments with wider skill disparity tend to be better and more exciting instead of just a bunch of top 10 grandmasters all who speak the same chess language. I think this tournament is great because of players playing badly and some fresh faces, but that could just be me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Double posting to say that forced combination into winning endgame by Karjakin at the end there is :discourse:

It may not qualify as double exclam but it's still a solid !

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Kajarkin now top with 5 players within half a point of the top. Nuts.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Catalan in Shak / Grischuck

English for Liren / Kramnik

So / Karjakin - Nimzo? Whatever. It was they liquidated already lol.

Ruy Lopez. Obviously for Caruana /Aronian.

Lev needs to do us a solid and beat Fabi blowing the thing wide open.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
*levon collapsing intensifies*

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

algebra testes posted:

*levon collapsing intensifies*

:smith:

wanna see a lev win but i don't want Magnus Karjakin 2

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fabi missed the opportunity to grab a pawn with ab ab qxb5, which now no longer works.

Maybe there is hope for Levon yet.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

I just want Fabi to win because I think it’ll be the best final now Aronian is out.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I'm no mathemagenius, but if Kramnik wins and Caruana doesn't, I think Kramnik can still technically win the tournament.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Karjakin beat Kramnik, lost to Liren.

Liren beat Karjakin, split with Kramnik.

Kramnik lost to Karjakin, Splitwith Liren.

So on h2h Kramnik eliminated because has worse h2h with top two. Then does that mean Liren qualifies because of h2h with Karjakin?

In that case does it mean that Kramnik literally can't?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In order for Vlad to match Karjakins points Liren has to beat Kajrakin which is why I say "liren beat Karjakin" even if they haven't played yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao just lmao if Lev pulls a draw out here. I think aftwr Qf6 its an equal position again.

• Locked thread