Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A remake of 2 with the QoL of New Dawn would be insanely good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

So I’m nearing endgame, have upgraded Prosperity completely, and have put some serious time in regrinding outposts, and I gotta say... I really like New Dawn. It doesn’t have the atmosphere of 5, but holy poo poo is it just so much more enjoyable to play.

And the powers, which I thought would be stupid and ill-fitting, add a huge amount of replayability to tackling outposts.

Totes satisfied with the buy.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I have not paid good attention to this game, and I didn't get that far in Far Cry 5 but my favourite parts of that game were under Faith's control where you'd randomly end up high as hell with fun visual and audio hallucination effects.

Can you still get high as hell in New Dawn and go around causing high saturation chaos?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Am I correct in understanding that The Judge is the character you played in far cry 5 ? That’s dope.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Am I correct in understanding that The Judge is the character you played in far cry 5 ? That’s dope.

yeah.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey guys is the judge also the deputy

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I’m also to u derstsnd that the flowers in the first game turned into a giant tree, likely via radiation, leading to the fruit? That’s a cool story I guess.

Who’s Megan? I’m like wondering who he knocked up to make Ethan.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Someone he knew before he moved to Hope County, according to Ethan.

She never came there so who knows what their relationship was like.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Oh yeah I looked it up, I was wondering if it was possibly someone you knew in the last game. Would’ve been something. If I just got the super powers how close am I until the end of the story? I like retaking harder forts. And the expeditions. The companions are absolutely stupid and will die all the time every time. Like, one time Judge just literally stood in a loving fire until he died. Which companion are you all using? Maybe I should go find the dog?

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Horatio is a loving beast especially when maxed out: He regularly solos gold elites for me at rank 3 outposts. He also rolls around in flowers and naps during downtime; what more can you ask for.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Blind Rasputin posted:

Oh yeah I looked it up, I was wondering if it was possibly someone you knew in the last game. Would’ve been something. If I just got the super powers how close am I until the end of the story? I like retaking harder forts. And the expeditions. The companions are absolutely stupid and will die all the time every time. Like, one time Judge just literally stood in a loving fire until he died. Which companion are you all using? Maybe I should go find the dog?

You're 2/3rds through the main story but the meat of the game is all side stuff. I've done 2/19 expeditions and only like 5 outposts by the time I got to there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Noirex posted:

Horatio is a loving beast especially when maxed out: He regularly solos gold elites for me at rank 3 outposts. He also rolls around in flowers and naps during downtime; what more can you ask for.

Horatio is the only companion I've found that's worth a drat. Fully leveled up he just wrecks poo poo. I just stand around in the outpost while he finds all the bad guys and destroys them. And then pet him and tell him he's a good boy. A good boy that has murdered hundreds of Highwaymen.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah but also he should be rideable

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The dog is the best because he highlights loot and enemies for you

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

precision posted:

The dog is the best because he highlights loot and enemies for you
:emptyquote:

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Horatio is the only companion I've found that's worth a drat. Fully leveled up he just wrecks poo poo. I just stand around in the outpost while he finds all the bad guys and destroys them. And then pet him and tell him he's a good boy. A good boy that has murdered hundreds of Highwaymen.

Nana is great if you want to stealth EZ mode Outposts.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Nana has some of the worst commentary, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nana is basically a literal cheat code built into the game

Like even more so than Grace was in 5

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Noirex posted:

Horatio is literally a beast

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I do question the decision to gate the super powers behind three incredibly boring missions. I held off on doing the first one because the game hadn't really sent me to that entire half of the map, then after the first one was so boring I did a bunch more other stuff, so by the time I got the powers I was like "well god drat would have been great to have these 10 hours ago"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll be honest outside of the double jump I barely used the powers at all

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The main storyline is for the most part a bore and the mission design is easily where the smaller budget shows.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I beeline to the super powers because it was the only thing that caught my attention about far cry it made shooting and clearing out all the outpost super fun and I had a couple of really surreal moments like chasing down a slaver vehicle and foot jumping under the hood of the car and blowing off the slavers face through the windshield.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 12, 2019

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

doingitwrong posted:

I have not paid good attention to this game, and I didn't get that far in Far Cry 5 but my favourite parts of that game were under Faith's control where you'd randomly end up high as hell with fun visual and audio hallucination effects.

Can you still get high as hell in New Dawn and go around causing high saturation chaos?

you can get high as hell but also everything is already high saturation chaos, apparently this particular nuclear apocalypse took the form of weird purple flowers everywhere, and the major change to human culture among the survivors is more daygo fashion accessories than a lisa frank store.

i also refuse to acknowledge that this game has a main story. i really enjoy the game, but it stretches the concept of story well past it's breaking point. that's fine, imo, it's just a way to be like "what if far cry 5 but weirder" but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a narrative. I'm sure I'm sounding a lot more stuck up than I am but I honestly prefer new dawn's no-story to 5's lovely story. The story of new dawn is very clearly "go do outposts and expeditions and build your town up" At some point some things happen such as getting super powers or killing those cool twins but since nothing that happened affected anything in terms of the narrative, or the characters, I consider those incidents more than story. It's honestly kind of brave and I'm surprised by how it works. Ubisoft is failing their way upward until one day they make a far cry game that's their version of Alan Clarke's Elephant, just long scenes of violence presented without commentary that indicts the user simply by choosing to interact with it and by ignoring it's real world inspirations. New dawn is so, so close. The Division 2 might get there if it didn't hide it'self cowardly in politics.

Come on, ubi. You have like one franchise that has one thing to say, and it says it pretty well if annually. Let loose with your other ones. Embrace pure, context-less violence. Stop even pretending to care about a narrative, I promise you the resulting game will be an artistic masterpiece.

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 12, 2019

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
hey now, i won't defend the quality of new dawn's narrative, but it definitely still has one.

also, i think you missed a spoiler tag

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Thom12255 posted:

I hated Far Cry 2 on release after being pretty hyped for it after Crysis came out. Tried it again last week, got into Act 2 and was pretty much done with it with half the game still to finish. It's honestly too much of a bore to enjoy, though the graphics hold up decently well for a decade on. Though the limited memory requirements of that era stand out insanely badly now, the whole map is just a series of corridors with cliffs around to stop you having much freedom. The sequels are much better experiences.

I would love them to have a go again at a Far Cry 2 type game, I liked the themes of it but I'd like to have all the great gameplay design of the later iterations so I have some fun in the process. Far Cry 2 suffered too much from "heres how cool our engine is" rather than "here's how fun this game is".

The what seems like almost instantly respawning enemies in an area you cleared is super loving annoying in 2 as well, and there is zero stealth cause they spot you anywhere if you get close enough. I think a lot of people have nostalgia glasses when it comes to 2.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like this game is on sale for 50% off. Is this a good buy for someone who played 5, hated the story, forced abductions, and limited weapon selection, and is pretty much just in it for the co-op shenanigans?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

brap posted:

Looks like this game is on sale for 50% off. Is this a good buy for someone who played 5, hated the story, forced abductions, and limited weapon selection, and is pretty much just in it for the co-op shenanigans?

100% yes

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

brap posted:

It's a worse version of 5, so: Absolutely not.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lambert posted:

It's a worse version of 5, so: Absolutely not.

Uhhhh

Elaborate? I loved 5 but New Dawn is better in literally every way

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

precision posted:

Uhhhh

Elaborate? I loved 5 but New Dawn is better in literally every way

New Dawn has a worse story, uninteresting characters and terrible mission design. It's literally the budget retread of 5.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Lambert posted:

New Dawn has a worse story

:raise:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Another thing New Dawn is terrible at compared to 5: The soundtrack.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I like the expeditions and base building of New Dawn but 5 is the better game. Double jump should be in every game forward though. Somehow.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Where is the sale? I’d buy this for $20

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Bust Rodd posted:

Where is the sale? I’d buy this for $20

Put up or shut up

https://store.ubi.com/us/video-games/recommended/far-cry-new-dawn/?lang=en_US

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked them both.

Please subscribe to my blog for more in depth reviews like this one.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I didn't mind far cry 5 as much as most people, but it definitely wasn't worth 60 bucks. Getting it on sale would be a decent buy. It has one of the best video game soundtracks ever made, something that was a huge step back in New Dawn.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

precision posted:

Nana is basically a literal cheat code built into the game

Like even more so than Grace was in 5

The worst thing about Nana, is knowing goddamn well the voice actress is a young adult pretending to be an old lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So I have replayed the Durgesh DLC from Far Cry 4 probably a dozen times in co-op. The learning curve is really steep but it just distills the things I like the most about Far Cry. Going around the world taking over outposts, starting with no items and a small set of skills, improvising with what you have. I think the game is a lot more fun without money and just finding everything instead. Dying is punished pretty severely but the risk makes it more exciting I feel like. Does anyone else feel this way or is it mostly just hated?