Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Capn Beeb posted:

So far my only disappointment is there doesn't seem to be any bladed melee weapons, just blunt objects and fists. Stabbing people is a Far Cry staple :(

i am sure there are.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Far Cry 2 fuckin owned, it got to a point where the last guy left would just be hiding somewhere babbling to himself in terror

i weirdly love that game. mostly because its almost weirdly deep and hosed up in ways that the other far cry games never managed to. like everything you do, fucks the country even worse and all the factions are just outsider mercs or shithead ex goverment types looking to pry the rest of the copper wiring out of the walls. theoretically one is right wing and the other is left but it doesnt matter because they don't care. idk its interesting and the game is great.

Deakul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izA3LwuD79A

Not gonna lie, this video has me somewhat concerned.
I definitely enjoy down time in my open world games and if it really just throws non-stop conflict and explosions in your face then that's going to probably get old pretty fast.

he makes a great point, but that kinda poo poo is plus for me. i like games where its constant flow of dynamic poo poo and enemies pouring out of every tree/bush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

bbcisdabomb posted:

That article was written by The Dark Id for his LP, IIRC.

Pretty sure it was Evil Tim who did the article. No idea if he ever did an LP of FC2 though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m psyched for this game. 2 is still a favorite shooter of mine, and 3 and 4 are no slouches either. I hope this one lets me do the insane “explosives in every loadout slot” thing again.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I don't have the same fatigue to this series as everyone else since I started with FC4 and loved it. The chaos of the gunplay was great and so was the weapon customization, shooting grenades from gyrocopters, throwing meat to entice a tiger raid on a compound, doing stealth Rambo poo poo with a bow and watching a base freak out....pure fun. Even the in-game Guide To Kyrat was fun to read; they put a lot of effort into writing some fun descriptions for all the characters, animals, and areas. FC5 looks like even more with the crazy DLC to come and the map editor stuff looks to be extremely my poo poo. Ubisoft has been on kind of a revitalization lately with AC Origins/Kingdom Battle/ continued support for Siege and For Honor so I'm pretty keen on this one.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

I don't have the same fatigue to this series as everyone else since I started with FC4 and loved it. The chaos of the gunplay was great and so was the weapon customization, shooting grenades from gyrocopters, throwing meat to entice a tiger raid on a compound, doing stealth Rambo poo poo with a bow and watching a base freak out....pure fun. Even the in-game Guide To Kyrat was fun to read; they put a lot of effort into writing some fun descriptions for all the characters, animals, and areas. FC5 looks like even more with the crazy DLC to come and the map editor stuff looks to be extremely my poo poo. Ubisoft has been on kind of a revitalization lately with AC Origins/Kingdom Battle/ continued support for Siege and For Honor so I'm pretty keen on this one.

i never understood the fatigue of far cry. 3 has some issues but it was solid. 4 is same. caveman cry was interesting as was blood dragon. its not like cod/asscreed(like both series) that got done to death every year. but yeah, ubisoft has been great the last few years.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I think it's more part and parcel of Ubi's general lack of innovation through all their games which really burns people on it. If you take Wildlands, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry and Watch Dogs you see the same sort of "world map filled with stuff" theme repeated again and again, something that's seeped into non-Ubi products.

When you're someone like me who doesn't buy every entry into their franchises though you just don't get the same sort of burnout. Far Cry 5's setting and emphasis on bigger, louder action is what's pulling me back in to playing it and while I'm not expecting it to be revelationary it definitely looks like a load of fun.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Skyrim was a bit like this, just not letting the dragons ever leave you alone and every mission being clear out this other cave.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Any news to the multiplayer in the game?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Buller posted:

Skyrim was a bit like this, just not letting the dragons ever leave you alone and every mission being clear out this other cave.

Latter was definitely true, though I think I'd compare my experiences with the former to be the same as FC3/4.

I think everyone probably a had time when they were scoping out an outpost when suddenly a tiger mauled them to death, or as they were making a break from a firefight they ran into a group of soldiers in a truck.

What I'm taking away from that video is that at launch, if you want to play a bit stealthy it will be best to not take a companion.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

Any news to the multiplayer in the game?

The stuff I've been finding is people saying that unlike 4 the whole story is co-opable but I can't find the dev source on that, so take it as you will.

Also finding a bunch of stuff about a 6v6 TDM MP mode, which normally I would give zero fucks about but if it works with the map editor might be ultra rad.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Orv posted:

The stuff I've been finding is people saying that unlike 4 the whole story is co-opable but I can't find the dev source on that, so take it as you will.

Also finding a bunch of stuff about a 6v6 TDM MP mode, which normally I would give zero fucks about but if it works with the map editor might be ultra rad.

At PAX West the guys running the demo we're saying the whole game is co-oppable. It's not in writing but it's something they've been saying for a while.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Cool and good.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

bbcisdabomb posted:

At PAX West the guys running the demo we're saying the whole game is co-oppable. It's not in writing but it's something they've been saying for a while.

I think that was the case in 4 as well so I don't see why it wouldn't be this time.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

FC4's co-op was only limited to side activities and free roam, not the story missions.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
All the hype here is giving me FOMO!

I'm curious to see how the microtransactions play into this game, might pick it up if my friends are keen to coop it in the distant future when its price matches my demand.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The MTX are just the usual cosmetics and time saver stuff that every Ubi game has.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Deakul posted:

The MTX are just the usual cosmetics and time saver stuff that every Ubi game has.

i only know them from when i played R6S and they were only boosters that were actually useful. The game was/is grindy as gently caress. So will this game also be grindy as gently caress?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

If FC3, 4, and Primal are any indication... there will probably be a small amount of grind to craft upgrades for things but if it's as generous with supplies as those were then I don't think it'll be too bad.

Even ACO's grinding didn't turn out to be as bad as people thought it'd be.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Deakul posted:

If FC3, 4, and Primal are any indication... there will probably be a small amount of grind to craft upgrades for things but if it's as generous with supplies as those were then I don't think it'll be too bad.

Even ACO's grinding didn't turn out to be as bad as people thought it'd be.

That's good, I didn't know there were time saving microtransactions in 3/4 (were there?) and the grinding was pretty much non-existent because the crafting was incorporated with doing some fun animal hunting missions. If it stays out of my face and doesn't make poo poo arbitrarily grindy or tedious to try to squeeze a few more dollars out of me then that's great news.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I think Primal was the only one with time saving crap, Ubi mostly put them in the AC and W_D series.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I think I'm ready to pre-order this. Seems like Greenmangaming is the cheapest at 15% off $50.99 if anyone else wants to do the same.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
You can get 20% off if you have 100 ubisoft funny moneys in uplay. Click on Store and there'll be a link to exchange it for a voucher in the top right. This does mean your game is tied to the uplay launcher instead of STEAM but since it forces you to use it anyway I guess it really doesn't make too much of a difference v:v:v

Orv
May 4, 2011

Songbearer posted:

You can get 20% off if you have 100 ubisoft funny moneys in uplay. Click on Store and there'll be a link to exchange it for a voucher in the top right. This does mean your game is tied to the uplay launcher instead of STEAM but since it forces you to use it anyway I guess it really doesn't make too much of a difference v:v:v

Uh doesn't that not work on pre and new releases?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rock Puncher posted:

All the hype here is giving me FOMO!

I'm curious to see how the microtransactions play into this game, might pick it up if my friends are keen to coop it in the distant future when its price matches my demand.

just cosmetic poo poo for SP.

Noirex posted:

I think I'm ready to pre-order this. Seems like Greenmangaming is the cheapest at 15% off $50.99 if anyone else wants to do the same.

i did amazon. they haven't let me down before.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Orv posted:

Uh doesn't that not work on pre and new releases?

Definitely worked for me and a friend. You'll see the discount apply before you buy it - standard edition went from £49.99 to £39.99.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Goddamnit.

E: Doesn't seem to be working here. I thought there was a way to claim the discount through the client instead of the coupon method but I can't find it anymore.

Orv fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 19, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

oh boy i can't wait to shoot american religious nutjobs

bonus points if i can do it with an SKS :canada:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Songbearer posted:

Look, i'm not saying you're lying, but either you or Uplay are wrong here.

Also as much as I'd like to, I already have funds in my steam wallet for this. poo poo.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Hyped for this. I’ll have a week off between leaving my current job and starting a new job so this is coming at a perfect time. Went for the gold edition. Ubisoft has been on point lately.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

The gameplay videos make it look like just more far cry, which is too bad considering the trailers were pretty exciting looking. I couldn't get more than 10 hours into far cry 4 because the constant calls for attention, interruptions, old bases getting reconquered, and obnoxious characters made the game a slog. Also the climbing! Verticality seems like a good idea but all it amounted to was staring at a rock wall and playing out canned climbing animations. Given the pc gamer video someone posted earlier, this game seems like it could be a likely contender for 2018's most obnoxious companion.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Morter posted:

Also as much as I'd like to, I already have funds in my steam wallet for this. poo poo.

IIRC the scope of what that 100 unit discount can be applied to is different in different countries (or at least within/outside the EU).

Noirex
May 30, 2006

DebonaireD posted:

The gameplay videos make it look like just more far cry, which is too bad considering the trailers were pretty exciting looking. I couldn't get more than 10 hours into far cry 4 because the constant calls for attention, interruptions, old bases getting reconquered, and obnoxious characters made the game a slog. Also the climbing! Verticality seems like a good idea but all it amounted to was staring at a rock wall and playing out canned climbing animations. Given the pc gamer video someone posted earlier, this game seems like it could be a likely contender for 2018's most obnoxious companion.

If you're looking for something fresh and innovative, you're probably not gonna find it here. I personally enjoy the FarCry formula though plus they always have fun, memorable villains like Pagin Min so I'm really excited for this.

Anyway I thought Amazon would have the usual 20% off for pre-orders but I guess not even though I'm Prime? I'll love to check out the Uplay 20% coupon but it seems like the store is down now.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Morter posted:

Randler posted:

IIRC the scope of what that 100 unit discount can be applied to is different in different countries (or at least within/outside the EU).

Yeah, it must be a regional thing. I'm in the UK, FWIW, and my friend and I definitely had no problems applying the discount. I think it's a bit more expensive due to the exchange rate so maybe they don't care as much about EU people getting it cheaper.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 19, 2018

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
The storylines for Far Cry games have been mostly garbage with some charismatic and enjoyable to watch villains tossed in, so I'm expecting about the same here. If you're playing far cry for a deep and engaging story, I'm betting FC5 will be a disappointment.

If they continue to improve on the gameplay, the meat of why one plays a FC game, then this should be fine. I'm really hoping it doesn't just feel like a re-skin, which is how I felt about FC4. Game was fun, just felt like more of the same. I'm ready for something different.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I just want to sneak around the midwest knifing people from behind cows and corn. There's a knife in this one, right?!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i weirdly love that game. mostly because its almost weirdly deep and hosed up in ways that the other far cry games never managed to. like everything you do, fucks the country even worse and all the factions are just outsider mercs or shithead ex goverment types looking to pry the rest of the copper wiring out of the walls. theoretically one is right wing and the other is left but it doesnt matter because they don't care. idk its interesting and the game is great.

Yea same, I also never really gave a poo poo about the outposts respawning, considering 90% of the time you just blow through them in a car on your way to whatever objective. Also the propagating fire fuckin owned

e] poo poo I might have to reinstall.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

black.lion posted:

I just want to sneak around the midwest knifing people from behind cows and corn. There's a knife in this one, right?!

Been confirmed in interviews with devs that stabbing weapons are not returning. We got throwing knives and a slingshot that looks big fun, but no :ese:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

Been confirmed in interviews with devs that stabbing weapons are not returning. We got throwing knives and a slingshot that looks big fun, but no :ese:

But then how will I roleplay an alligator as the series creeps ever closer to allowing you to Assassin's Creed a dude on a dock out of the murky bayou.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Capn Beeb posted:

Wait, why in the gently caress not? That's some bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Wait, why in the gently caress not? That's some bullshit.

Violent video games cause school shootings dontcha kno