Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Unlucky7 posted:

^^^^ Of course, they need to put on the illusion of saying something so they can get away with not actually saying anything :v:

I got the game from my local street date breaking store because I am not currently over tired of the Ubisoft formula. Played up to the point where you get off the lake island in the start. Other than a rail shooting segment in the intro that is kinda frustrating and makes me wish I was playing with a mouse, it is pretty fun.

If nothing else, they nailed the mission where you get the Dog.

It is literally:

- Release the Dog
- Pet the dog

i read some early release people talking about how its more of a asscreed origins quest system then say old far crys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hexenritter posted:

Any idea what time of day the preload on Steam will go active?

Looking forward to setting my dog on multi-ethnic christian separatists!

https://www.reddit.com/r/farcry/comments/86gjm9/official_fc5_preload_times/

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Anyone have a good place for a deal for the steam version? I know I have to launch it through uplay but I wanna link it to my steam account

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

nexus6 posted:

I'm kinda bummed that they'd outright remove the minimap. I guess I'll see how it plays without one but it seems to me they could have just had that as an toggle option rather than taking it away from everyone.

Playing without the minimap in FC Primal and Breath of the Wild greatly enhanced the experience of those games. You should turn it off more often.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:siren: STEAM PRELOAD IS A GO! 22.8GB :siren:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Xander77 posted:

Ahaha, it's a multi-ethnic extreme right-wing Christian terrorist organization. With women as fighters. JFC.

Seriously, are you expecting some compound dwelling prepper scum to go "well, I guess they don't mean us then"?

I mean you can possibly handwave it away with the superiors being well aware that the people they're sending out to die for their cause include minorities and not really caring because more crazies spreading your message is a good thing and they're expendable, the only real people mattering being the ones at the top - but Ubisoft generally aren't that savvy and yeah it's probably just to avoid controversy. Someone would definitely try to claim credit, a lot of these sort of people go out of their way to profit through legal means while hiding behind a religious facade.

Has the game outright labeled the bad guys as Christians or are they just a generic doomsday cult? I've been kind of on a blackout other than the first few trailers so I don't know too much.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Hexenritter posted:

:siren: STEAM PRELOAD IS A GO! 22.8GB :siren:

That seems oddly small.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Songbearer posted:

I mean you can possibly handwave it away with the superiors being well aware that the people they're sending out to die for their cause include minorities and not really caring because more crazies spreading your message is a good thing and they're expendable, the only real people mattering being the ones at the top - but Ubisoft generally aren't that savvy and yeah it's probably just to avoid controversy. Someone would definitely try to claim credit, a lot of these sort of people go out of their way to profit through legal means while hiding behind a religious facade.

Has the game outright labeled the bad guys as Christians or are they just a generic doomsday cult? I've been kind of on a blackout other than the first few trailers so I don't know too much.

they are some weird christian cult think, again think branch davidians. weird dude thinks he is the second coming or end times prophet type deal. cults in general are hodge poge of sects/religion/political theories and teachings most of the time. but again, Ubisoft seems to be going for a david koresh type with out the rape and a ton more manpower, mixed with some lite prepper poo poo(which the branch davidians were).

besides they are already getting flack from various sites who wanted to be it to be solely a chud killing sim. like waypoint and gamespot.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

branch davidians are specifically a christian heretical movement in the sense that they are a breakaway group from a breakaway group from the seventh day adventists. they believed in and worshipped jesus christ, but also believed that david koresh himself was jesus christ. (and supposedly the still exist but i dont know who their jesus is now)

the cult in the game also appears to be christian, at least using a lot of christian-associated language and symbolism (but none from any other religion that i've seen so far), if not outright using the term "christian" as such

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 23, 2018

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Dapper_Swindler posted:

besides they are already getting flack from various sites who wanted to be it to be solely a chud killing sim. like waypoint and gamespot.

Chud as in zombies? Or...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Morter posted:

Trumpists. They are mad that some of the dudes that help you are a militia and that one of the side characters quest givers is a douche bag tea party type fat dude because it “sends a confusing message”.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Trumpists. They are mad that some of the dudes that help you are a militia and that one of the side characters quest givers is a douche bag tea party type fat dude because it “sends a confusing message”.

We live in confusing times. I expected the game would have the cult going all Handmaid's Tale on the women in the area, and any persons of color being either enslaved or lynched.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Unlucky7 posted:

^^^^ Of course, they need to put on the illusion of saying something so they can get away with not actually saying anything :v:

I got the game from my local street date breaking store because I am not currently over tired of the Ubisoft formula. Played up to the point where you get off the lake island in the start. Other than a rail shooting segment in the intro that is kinda frustrating and makes me wish I was playing with a mouse, it is pretty fun.

If nothing else, they nailed the mission where you get the Dog.

It is literally:

- Release the Dog
- Pet the dog

this is a good spoiler.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Morter posted:

Someone doesn’t read cspam

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They are mad that some of the dudes that help you are a militia and that one of the side characters quest givers is a douche bag tea party type fat dude because it “sends a confusing message”.

it is the tragedy of our time to see important ideological polemics such as Far Cry 5 clouded with ambiguities

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Are you talking about this?

https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/23/17157154/far-cry-5-trump-pee-tape-patriot-acts-mission

Cause it sounds hilarious.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Apparently the protagonist is outright mute now. One way to handle the personality problem, by just removing it completely.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nah. i didnt see that. awsome thats there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg1CnqQvRxU

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/evm7ve/far-cry-5-hands-on-politics-progression

https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/15/16778928/far-cry-5-politics-religion

i mean this poo poo. they are mad that they arent shooting nazis and Republicans. while shooting them is good and cool. its stupid to get mad at a game that never said it was doing that. plus you look like a sheltered weirdo.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

This Inside Eden's Gate on Amazon is so, so bad.

Also, I didn't see it mentioned but you can get this game for free for PC from Samsung when you buy a 1TB SSD.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Obsurveyor posted:

This Inside Eden's Gate on Amazon is so, so bad.

Also, I didn't see it mentioned but you can get this game for free for PC from Samsung when you buy a 1TB SSD.

i saw it free on youtube(i have prime anyway but i saw it there) its one of the dumbest things i have seen in while which sucks because the intro of the game is awesome and tense.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

Seriously, are you expecting some compound dwelling prepper scum to go "well, I guess they don't mean us then"?

Youtube comments. Yes, I know, but still. posted:

In short, the scenario doesn't seem confusing, just your perception of it, because the subject-matter hits close to home. As liberals (I assume), you probably want the game to come down on your side of the political argument, but my guess is that Ubisoft are going to land somewhere more truthful, somewhere closer to the middle, and let the player decide what's good and bad in many cases. That, to me, makes for a compelling setting.
Welp.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

lol what the gently caress.

Pretty sure baptising people in hypnodrug Kool-aid shouldn't be cool, no matter where you fall in the political spectrum.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hold fire, hold fire. Target is too ethnically diverse.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Anyone know if this game will have the Ubi tradition of including a survival guide/database thing of all the people you meet/animals you kill etc? I'm playing Black Flag for the first time and I'm really enjoying the entries there. Far Cry 3 had one and I'm guessing 4 did too, it'd be pretty great to see a prepper version of the stuff we're gutting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Songbearer posted:

Anyone know if this game will have the Ubi tradition of including a survival guide/database thing of all the people you meet/animals you kill etc? I'm playing Black Flag for the first time and I'm really enjoying the entries there. Far Cry 3 had one and I'm guessing 4 did too, it'd be pretty great to see a prepper version of the stuff we're gutting.

not sure. i assume crafting is still in.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If I buy this on GMG I get it directly into uplay. Does uplay have a preload?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

The GMG ads for it I’ve seen on Facebook have all been talking about preloading the game, for what it’s worth.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

not sure. i assume crafting is still in.

It's not. Giant Bomb streamed some of it tonight. You earn perk points by doing different things like: 10 Handgun Kills, 10 Shotgun Kills, 10 Grenade Launcher Kills, Skin 3 Deer, Skin 3 Wolves, Skin 3 Bears, 10 Headshots, 99 Headshots etc. etc. etc. big list of them. You spend the perk points on basically whatever you want in a tree of skills/upgrades. Most are available from the start, just a few with a single pre-requisite in front.

You can also earn perk points in the multiplayer, co-op and Far Cry Arcade stuff. Your character goes back and forth between those and single player.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I am a fool and preordered the lame gold edition. Because I want to replay FC3 on PS4. So many outposts to stealth Rambo, so little time.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

The Lone Badger posted:

I preordered on GMG and preloaded today :toot:

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Obsurveyor posted:

It's not. Giant Bomb streamed some of it tonight. You earn perk points by doing different things like: 10 Handgun Kills, 10 Shotgun Kills, 10 Grenade Launcher Kills, Skin 3 Deer, Skin 3 Wolves, Skin 3 Bears, 10 Headshots, 99 Headshots etc. etc. etc. big list of them. You spend the perk points on basically whatever you want in a tree of skills/upgrades. Most are available from the start, just a few with a single pre-requisite in front.

You can also earn perk points in the multiplayer, co-op and Far Cry Arcade stuff. Your character goes back and forth between those and single player.

So you skin animals, but you don’t craft with those skins? You’re skinning animals for lols? That sounds stupid.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I picked up an early copy at a local game shop which was nice.

There is thankfully no more looting animation but there’s also no skinning one either. You loot the corpse and it just gives you a skin that you can sell for cash. I’ll actually miss hunting for upgrades

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Funso Banjo posted:

So you skin animals, but you don’t craft with those skins? You’re skinning animals for lols? That sounds stupid.

instead of turning the skins into gear, you turn the skins into points and then the points into gear

its dumb but imo they should just remove crafting altogether. I thought we'd moved past the period of every open world game having crafting for no reason.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Counter point botw

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

at least it makes sense in BOTW's setting and gameplay. if you are an FBI agent driving around 2018 Montana and you need a new holster or whatever you're just going to go to the store and buy one not go kill and skin a deer and craft it. also I just think these FC games work best when they focus on the stealth/shooter aspects and not trying to cram in rpg and survival game stuff

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

I picked up an early copy at a local game shop which was nice.

There is thankfully no more looting animation but there’s also no skinning one either. You loot the corpse and it just gives you a skin that you can sell for cash. I’ll actually miss hunting for upgrades

everything i have seen so far, they seem to be taking their lessons from asscreed origins to heart. which is good.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I feel like they always take the crafting too far in the world direction in these games. Crafting should be for stuff that you use often and need to replenish, like the medicine boosters in the previous games, or certain ammo types like arrows. I agree that locking all the holsters and carry limit stuff behind crafting was pretty needless.

I'll hold judgement on if I dislike the change until after I play it but I'm probably the only person that liked all the looting/skinning/climbing animations. They really got me into it, and I liked that taking the time to loot a body wasn't just a quick click but actually could get you into trouble if the area wasn't secure.

Even Breath of the Wild's crafting wasn't perfect. Farming stuff for the faeries was a chore at higher gear level and cooking should have been done from a menu where you could repeat recipes quicker. Was really nice and tight in the early game though, but late game, as typical with crafting in games, became bloated and felt like a way of padding content. Far Cry never really fell into that trap though as you probably unlocked pretty much all the crafting upgrades 1/2-2/3s of the way through the game.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Funso Banjo posted:

There's no skinning animation either. It's more like you loot the animal's skin and then it sorta fades/draws in that you cut open the animal to indicate it's been looted.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Not really a big deal on my end. Like this dude said:

Earwicker posted:

at least it makes sense in BOTW's setting and gameplay. if you are an FBI agent driving around 2018 Montana and you need a new holster or whatever you're just going to go to the store and buy one not go kill and skin a deer and craft it.

It kind of made sense in FC3/4 but honestly I don't think I'll miss it in this setting. Ubisoft seem to want to get away from "This is a reskin of all the other game" territory and while I doubt they can really escape it, I'm sure the people who were deep into 3 and 4 (And maybe Primal) probably won't want to see many more slabs of meat being lowered into burlap sacks. It sounds like a lot of the game is streamlined towards letting you get to fun action and crazy poo poo befitting of fighting a bunch of preppers with muscle cars and combine harvesters rather than putting on a psuedo "I gotta survive!" front that really doesn't last all that long in the previous games before you become a mass-murdering steamroller, so more power to it in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

Apparently the protagonist is outright mute now. One way to handle the personality problem, by just removing it completely.

Probably because it's a create a character this time.