Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Yo I know people aren't really saying too much because this doesn't look any different from the other Far Cry games but I gotta say this is the first one I'm buying since FC3, a game I wasn't all that impressed with. I'm one of those weird outliers who liked FC2 more than any other game in the series, FC5 seems to have done what I've wanted the series to do since it started pitching towards FC3's more action-based gameplay: Go completely loving bonkers. I wasn't really interested in the settings of 3 & 4 but I absolutely can't wait to shred some crazy cultists in a muscle car with a dog pal, this entry into the series looks the closest to a first person Saints Row that I've seen for a long time. Shed the pretense of all humility and just go batshit in America? Hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Speaking of Far Cry 2, it spawned one of the funniest and most disturbingly in-depth documentations of its weapons and their quirks that I've come across for a game. It's big, but it's well worth a read or scan through.

quote:

Idle animation; no matter how much you want to look like a tough guy, picking your nose with a loaded MAC-10 is still a bad idea.

quote:

Scorned by a world that doesn't understand it, the Ithaca takes its own life.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I think it's more part and parcel of Ubi's general lack of innovation through all their games which really burns people on it. If you take Wildlands, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry and Watch Dogs you see the same sort of "world map filled with stuff" theme repeated again and again, something that's seeped into non-Ubi products.

When you're someone like me who doesn't buy every entry into their franchises though you just don't get the same sort of burnout. Far Cry 5's setting and emphasis on bigger, louder action is what's pulling me back in to playing it and while I'm not expecting it to be revelationary it definitely looks like a load of fun.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
You can get 20% off if you have 100 ubisoft funny moneys in uplay. Click on Store and there'll be a link to exchange it for a voucher in the top right. This does mean your game is tied to the uplay launcher instead of STEAM but since it forces you to use it anyway I guess it really doesn't make too much of a difference v:v:v

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Orv posted:

Uh doesn't that not work on pre and new releases?

Definitely worked for me and a friend. You'll see the discount apply before you buy it - standard edition went from £49.99 to £39.99.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Morter posted:

Look, i'm not saying you're lying, but either you or Uplay are wrong here.

Also as much as I'd like to, I already have funds in my steam wallet for this. poo poo.

Randler posted:

IIRC the scope of what that 100 unit discount can be applied to is different in different countries (or at least within/outside the EU).

Yeah, it must be a regional thing. I'm in the UK, FWIW, and my friend and I definitely had no problems applying the discount. I think it's a bit more expensive due to the exchange rate so maybe they don't care as much about EU people getting it cheaper.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 19, 2018

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yea and there's like, baseball bats and blunt weapons but knives are just a step too far

thank god bears are fine.

Bears have like five claws per paw so you're essentially trading out carrying a knife to have a buddy with twenty knives strapped to him on a permanent basis

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Far Cry 5 doesn't have knives because being blunt with anti-vaxxers is the only way to get through to them

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Ubisoft keeps developing and releasing games where you play as a United States federal agent who kills United States citizens en masse?

They can't set it anywhere else because there wouldn't be enough gun violence

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Xander77 posted:

Ahaha, it's a multi-ethnic extreme right-wing Christian terrorist organization. With women as fighters. JFC.

Seriously, are you expecting some compound dwelling prepper scum to go "well, I guess they don't mean us then"?

I mean you can possibly handwave it away with the superiors being well aware that the people they're sending out to die for their cause include minorities and not really caring because more crazies spreading your message is a good thing and they're expendable, the only real people mattering being the ones at the top - but Ubisoft generally aren't that savvy and yeah it's probably just to avoid controversy. Someone would definitely try to claim credit, a lot of these sort of people go out of their way to profit through legal means while hiding behind a religious facade.

Has the game outright labeled the bad guys as Christians or are they just a generic doomsday cult? I've been kind of on a blackout other than the first few trailers so I don't know too much.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Anyone know if this game will have the Ubi tradition of including a survival guide/database thing of all the people you meet/animals you kill etc? I'm playing Black Flag for the first time and I'm really enjoying the entries there. Far Cry 3 had one and I'm guessing 4 did too, it'd be pretty great to see a prepper version of the stuff we're gutting.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Not really a big deal on my end. Like this dude said:

Earwicker posted:

at least it makes sense in BOTW's setting and gameplay. if you are an FBI agent driving around 2018 Montana and you need a new holster or whatever you're just going to go to the store and buy one not go kill and skin a deer and craft it.

It kind of made sense in FC3/4 but honestly I don't think I'll miss it in this setting. Ubisoft seem to want to get away from "This is a reskin of all the other game" territory and while I doubt they can really escape it, I'm sure the people who were deep into 3 and 4 (And maybe Primal) probably won't want to see many more slabs of meat being lowered into burlap sacks. It sounds like a lot of the game is streamlined towards letting you get to fun action and crazy poo poo befitting of fighting a bunch of preppers with muscle cars and combine harvesters rather than putting on a psuedo "I gotta survive!" front that really doesn't last all that long in the previous games before you become a mass-murdering steamroller, so more power to it in my opinion.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Doggie tum tum rubs are a great canine companion revival solution compared to FO4's "inject dog with rusty needle of drugs" approach :3:

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 25, 2018

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

pmchem posted:

Aside from a difference in technology setting and story, how are Far Cry 5 and Fallout 4 significantly different?

They're both fps shooters with good graphics where you upgrade guns and skills over time to deal with some insidious threat in an open world setting with buddies and outposts.

I've never finished a Far Cry game. I played FC4 for like 20 minutes. But I've played a ton of Fallout games. What are the biggest differences between FC5/FO4?

I think the simplest way to describe it is that Far Cry games are heavily focused around immediate action with some very light RPG trappings and character progression, while Fallout games focus more heavily on character personalisation and a big open world to explore with lots of unique locations. Far Cry is much more fast paced and generally feel like traditional shooters with an open world of checklists to work through (Think along the line of Just Cause 2/3) whereas Fallout has very slow, deliberate exploration and a much greater emphasis on talking to NPCs and falling into the role of your character - combat tends to be more of an afterthought in FO3/4, even though it's better in the newer game.

Far Cry 5 is (To my knowledge) the first game in the series to have included a character creator to any degree and your protagonist is mute, but even then I really doubt there's much in the way of choice or decision in the game. It's just a rootin' tootin' funtime where you blast a prepper cult in the face.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Character creation in an FC game seems like a fuckin waste of time

Eh, it's a nice way to differentiate yourself to your co-op partner. Even Dying Light's fairly weak customisation was entertaining enough for me and my buddy to laugh at some of the more ridiculous outfits.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Both dudes and ladies are available

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Calaveron posted:

So like, what’s the point, how is this a far cry game

We'll always have this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enb0zWbYUik

Quite honestly the drop in quality and quantity from FC2 to FC3 irt gross-rear end healing animations was one of the things that really put me off FC3. There were a few but the amount was crazy limited compared to 2. I haven't played FC4 or Primal but from what I've seen the animations are even more limited and tame in those game so I guess they just gave up entirely on them in FC5.

fc fc fc fc

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

cults tend to be weirdly diverse. the mount carmal branch davidians were 30% black.

I'm not an expert on these things but an educated guess would be that cults probably care more about people following and reinforcing their message and let their prejudice come second. I think if a minority (Or targeted other, geez I'm bad at phrasing this stuff) expressed a level of devotion to the cult's sentiments even if it was harmful to themselves, its members would probably accept their inclusion because having someone that is targeted by your messaging also be the one to preach it makes for a pretty powerful recruitment tool. Sort of like "Look, our goals are real, even our enemies agree with us".

Again, doubtful that any of this is the case in Far Cry 5, but cult stuff is always kind of fascinating right until it becomes horrifying.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

The Lone Badger posted:

It's going to be OK. Perfectly playable. Sufficiently entertaining.

The thread is short because there's not really anything to discuss. We all know what we're getting.

Pretty much this. I'll get some fun co-op footage to share for sure but what can really be said for Far Cry by this point? They've cut out some of the chaff from 3, 4 & Primal, the enemies and settings are pretty unorthodox and they've given up trying (and generally failing) to make a likeable protagonist so now we get to make our own who won't blurt out dumb crap at a moment's notice. Otherwise, it's the same open world shoot n' stealth that people come for. I wouldn't be that interested generally but I like the setting and being able to take the wheel of some muscle cars with my buddy and dog pal was enough to convince me to give this one a fair shake.

Far Cry games are super solid but never really set the world alight. Ubisoft are pretty inoffensive with their games and generally never really make a clunker - sometimes they're not as good as they should be on launch but Rainbow Six: Siege, For Honour and Wildlands were all picked up and dusted off and are now very good games in their own right. They even managed to salvage Watch_Dogs with an equally inoffensive and much more polished sequel that was genuinely entertaining. If there's one thing Ubi is good at, it's iteration - for better and worse.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

VanillaGorilla posted:

Virtually every negative review (and most of those are in the like 7-8 range) basically takes the game to task for not being a reinvention of the franchise. I get that, and it's fair, but at the same time it's kind of like the Marvel movies for me - I don't really come for a daring reinvention of the genre.

Not very surprising. It looks like a catch 22 situation: You change too much, you risk upsetting people who like what Far Cry brings to the table. You don't change enough, people say the game is stagnant.

This is kind of why I don't play every entry to Assassins' Creed despite really enjoying the series (I've played 1, 2, Brotherhood and last week I played 4 for the first time): They generally introduce a new mechanic or gimmick but the core gameplay remains the same. For some people that's enough but for me, missing some four years in a row between games means I just don't have that kind of burnout.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Palpek posted:

That's not a very lucky argument because AC: Origins just reinvented the formula and everybody loved it. It's still Assassin's Creed but at the same it's very different.

Not that I have something against good old Far Cry but just saying.

Oh, fair enough. I haven't checked out AC: O so I just assumed it was more of the same. Guess I'm reinforcing what I'm trying to rebut, huh v:v:v

Who knows, maybe they'll give Far Cry the old heave-ho if they decide that this entry is the last they can get out of the formula. I'd like to see them go hog wild with the customisation and progression if they decide to mix things up - making it a true open world RPG rather than an RPG-lite could be pretty cool.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Holy poo poo that's one hell of an intro :stare:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Knocked out a guy with a shovel, hurled it like a spear at the next cultist who was in the middle of turning to check out the commotion, then shot a third in the gut before she could react.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_9cNIM80SU

No clue why sound didn't record but man this is a great looking game and cultists make for really fun targets. I'm gonna hold off playing much more until my friend can join me but this looks like it'll be a grand ol' time. No database that gives you fun entries for the critters you see in the world which is a shame but from the action I've taken part in so far it seems like this game is much more about getting poo poo done than smelling the roses. Fine with me!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Maybe not the best shooting in the world, maybe not the best plot in the world, but this is hands down some of the craziest fun I've had in a co-op game for a long time. The action can just go balls to the walls and looks simply fantastic and the sheer amount of insane action movie moments just keeps coming. I'm putting together a little compilation of our first four hours and I'm worried it's too much material for one video.

Also the music is top notch. Stealing a propaganda truck with a bunch of speakers strapped to the back of it blaring cultist hymns, parking it next to an objective and having the diegetic audio of the songs blasting in the background while cultists scream and die around you is so darkly satisfying.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just a quick little clip since making this compilation is going to take a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jVW4_z8fNg

First second we get a flamethrower we severely misjudge the target we choose to use it on. Turns out hostages don't like fire! Who'd have thought!

I... didn't exactly help matters.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Put together a little montage of me and my buddy's first two hours or so in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3KTDZMBbBY

Gonna have to put together a glitch reel at some point because some of the bugs in this game are hysterical. Nothing gamebreaking so far but plenty of lovely open world jank to feast on.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I haven't had this much gleeful open world insanity since Saints Row 4. Maybe even Saints Row 2.

I've taken to calling this game Saints Row 5 because it just feels so right. Like SR3 the plot is largely second hand trash but the sheer craziness and absurdity of it all and the delightful jank reminds me just of 2 and 4. I love the sheer chaos and revelry and the sidemissions very definitely veer into "Developers having a good time first and foremost and worrying about logistics later" feel to it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Some more co-op fun with my buddy. When things go wrong, they go wrong hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNZ9EycbrbM

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Made a brief compilation of some of the weird glitches I've ran into. Vehicles can be a real :stare: sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=malhYbcn500

take a shot everytime I say "oh my god"

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Calaveron posted:

So like is the game fun? Does it have a tiny gyrocopter I can fly around in and rain terror from above with a handheld grenade launcher?

The game is absolutely fun. What it isn't is cohesive.

The way they structure and present the main story for each area is one the most bizarre and asinine things I've ever seen in a game, forcibly ripping control away from the player to throw them into a scripted mission that's generally some flavour of "Escape this place" after the bad guy monologues at you for five minutes. There's also some things about the terrain that means the game doesn't really lend itself to providing you with many opportunities to wingsuit around without needing some sort of air transport to get the most mileage out of it, though admittedly the first region it suggests to you is mostly flat farmland and now I'm past that I'm getting better at using it.

Sidemissions are generally extremely fun and where the goofiest stuff happens. I can imagine some of the events that occur can really put people off because they can be really, really wild, but I love Saints Row so this poo poo sits right at home with me.

Many systems are simplified from what I played of FC3 in the past, looting and skinning is instant and levelling up is done by completing mini challenges by using your weapons or doing things like drivebys. As someone with not a ton of attachment to the series it really doesn't feel like much of a problem to me because the action in the game feels really satisfying and the setting and atmosphere feels extremely good. It doesn't do anything to reinvent the Ubisoft open world formula but it's still a fun game, just don't expect anything revelatory.

Probably the most fun I've gotten out a game this year though. It's not just a matter of "Anything's fun with a friend" because I'm running the game on his campaign, meaning I play it solo in order to catch up with the unlocks I don't get in the meantime and I'm still having a blast. I think I'm one of the few people who don't mind the chaos and frequency of the events in this game but I completely understand people who want to turn it down a bit.

No gyro from what I've seen but your allies can wing-walk in co-op and you can use heavy guns out the back of a helicopter :black101:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just noticed that unalerted cultists sing along to propaganda music if any is playing in the area. Adorable.

I kind of like just listening to them when they're having a sing-along with a guitar as well. Sometimes the quiet moments are really cool.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Suppressed lever action with scope and silencer for medium range base takeovers, unsilenced assault rifle with red dot when you're ready to go loud, uzi for drivebys. Change my mind :colbert:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Edgelord lady with the bow (Jane Dark or whatever her name was) intro was so cringy and trying so hard to be edgy that me and my coop partner were in actual agony. I think if you harnessed the kinetic energy of our collective eye rolling you'd have a perpetual motion machine.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I CAN'T GET THE CLUTCH NIXON MUSIC OUT OF MY HEAD SOMEONE loving KILL ME

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
You can also pet the rando dogs generated shopkeepers have :3:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Two fun things to try in co-op:

You can stand on the top of airplanes without falling off unless your buddy banks extremely hard, but even then you'd have to be trying.

If you stand on top of an ATV and your buddy shoots you with a rocket, the bike will explode and launch into the air but you'll remain completely stable on top of the soaring wreckage.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Playing the game single player after I beat it in co-op. Echoing the sentiments that this game has a colossally fun and beautifully detailed open world, co-op is hilarious and consistently entertaining but the story is mind-numbingly awful and features the single most utterly terrible presentation ever. Clocked in at about 19 hours with nearly 100% completion of all areas - my friend fast travels a lot and barely ever gets sidetracked so I imagine my solo runthrough will be longer, especially since we never took the time to seek out and read notes, take in the sights or listen to the telephone messages.

We didn't skip any cutscenes but pressing alt-tab became second nature after reading the subtitles and getting the jist of it.

I'm finally being able to try out the human companions since we only rolled with Boomer and Cheeseburger. Just got Grace and she sniped a plane out of the air so she's a-ok by me :colbert:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Yeah, there really needs to be an NG+ which resets everything but character progress and disables all the story missions. Currently I feel kind of blessed that I ran through the game as a co-op partner so I have all the regions to play through with a tough-rear end character. Shame I'll be facing the story missions alone.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The Bootlegger at the bottom of the car list is my favourite thing and lets me pretend that this game is a new version of Interstate '76 and all the cultists are creepers

Never get out of the car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
They should release them as animated wallpapers

I love the church and river/wolf one