Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m psyched for this game. 2 is still a favorite shooter of mine, and 3 and 4 are no slouches either. I hope this one lets me do the insane “explosives in every loadout slot” thing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I'm really close to preordering, but no knife? Am I supposed to just chain carotid chokes/necksnaps? Chain-murdering patrols was one of the most fun things in FC3/4/Blood Dragon. :unsmigghh: Devs obviously don't know that you need to gut the roadkill while it's fresh. (Not to mention the FC staple of skinning everything to make your advanced hairy smelly tactical load-bearing equipment.)

I did see a shovel in the equipment screen. That seems like it’ll be a fun melee weapon.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

personally I find that a good thing, reminds me of FC 2 which is still in many ways my favorite even though it is jankier than the other games.

to me the main appeal in these games is taking out outposts and exploring, most of the actual characters are kind of annoying (outside of Blood Dragon) and their personalities are best kept to a minimum

2 is still my favorite Far Cry and it’s a huge part of why I have such a soft spot for the series. It was so oppressive and grim. Exploring for diamonds made purchases have some weight, too, since I couldn’t go grind cash.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

Didn't know about the map, they could've done it like in FC2 where the character takes out an actual map stuck to a board.

Angling my character’s head so I could glance down with my eyes IRL to see the map while driving was awesome. And sometimes you had to just look down entirely and hope a zebra didn’t run across the road.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Division is pretty up front with the concept of the titular Division being maaaaybe not the best idea and it’s a good thing that directive 51 is (probably) not something to set that up IRL.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

If I buy this on GMG I get it directly into uplay. Does uplay have a preload?

The GMG ads for it I’ve seen on Facebook have all been talking about preloading the game, for what it’s worth.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

there is some game coming out about a jones town type cult. its some isometric type deal.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/339830/The_Church_in_the_Darkness/

its hitting pc and consoles at some point.

That looks pretty cool. Hopefully it doesn’t go and turn into a wet fart like a lot of games with nifty concepts do.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

Haven't played a Far Cry since #2. Seems #5 was the right one to get back in with.

Need more time to actually play though, that's the trick these days.

VERY disappointed I couldn't dress up in a "support are troops" t-shirt. Also there appears to be a missing dual beer can drinking hat. I hope Ubisoft remedies these critical issues.

Yeah, this feels like FC2 in spirit quite a bit, especially with how it has no problem tossing you into the world and being like “figure out where you want to go from here”. The shooting feels nice and chunky and enemies are way, way less spongy than they were in past games.

shut up blegum posted:

Yeah, I wanted to drive somewhere and I ran into 12 trucks, and they all opened fire as soon as they saw me. It wouldn't hurt to turn it down a little bit I think. Or maybe the difference when you liberate areas is really noticeable.

This is also Far Cry 2 as gently caress. I’m kind of hoping at some point I hear the sound of a revving engine like two seconds before I get run over.

Loving it so far.

E: is there a way to buy one type of non-special ammo? The Items tab only lists special ammo and I don’t want to have to stock up for guns I don’t have yet.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 27, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Beastie posted:

The Seed family is definitely less interesting than Pagan Min or the crazy dude from 3. But let's be real here I play the game because it's a Rambo simulator, not for it's insightful commentary on society.

It’d be pretty much impossible to top Pagan Min or Vaas, so I’m glad they just settled at “pretty strong villain”, and plus, he has a manbun. That’s all the reason I need to hunt him down right there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Orv posted:

The modernized Far Cry games have only ever been hard when you gently caress up, or if you intentionally make it hard on yourself. You can silently snipe the entire game with basically no recourse on the part of the AI.

In 2 I used to add challenge by rolling with the M79 grenade launcher in the pistol slot, the 6-shot grenade launcher as my primary, and an RPG as my special. Everything was always exploding all the time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr Scumbag posted:

Really? This dude seems like babby's first cult leader creative writing session to me.

Glad you're enjoying it, don't get me wrong but all of the cult members seem hugely cliché to the point where you can predict what they are going to say sentence by sentence.

Fortunately, the gameplay is great and no-one really plays FC for the story.

The first walk into the cult compound oozed menace, at least, and that dude bringing down the helicopter by mulching himself in the propellor sold that these dudes are hardcore into protecting Joseph. I mean, eeeesh.

It wasn’t as good as the Vaas stuffsure, but IIRC that was kind of a happy accident. They weren’t planning on him being such a central figure to the game but Mando’s performance was so good they upped his role substantially. I think the real failing of Joseph as a villain isn’t the writing as much as the acting. Mando and Baker sold their roles so well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tumble posted:

The AI is fun go up against, they will try and rescue their downed friends so you can

I was so glad that came back, it was one of my favorite parts of 2. I actually didn’t use the .50 caliber sniper because the SVDs lower damage meant better gutshot potential.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am surprised about the lack of bullet sponge enemies so far. in other far cry games, some dudes took like a clip to kill.

Yeah, one burst of the starting AR kills basically any non-flamethrower enemy in the early game. You feel pretty fragile yourself, and the sheer volume of enemies is much improved, even if it is kind of easy on the whole.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mandrel posted:

all the reviews I can find pretty much only talk about the story/themes/social commentary stuff with very little on the actual gameplay, beyond that the ubi structure is different

can someone tell me how the shooting is? i loved 3, but got burnt out on 4 because more than anything somehow the combat/shooting felt floaty and weird and not very punchy. like all the guns felt a little underpowered somehow, dudes took too many shots to go down or the feedback was weird/too much recoil or what, i honestly can't put my finger on it. basically it kind of felt bad to shoot guys, which tempered my enjoyment

does it feel good or at least any different to shoot the guys in 5? or exactly the same. i'm down for however the story stuff goes but i'm honestly mostly interested in how the moment to moment combat feels in a game like this

The guns are good and loud, and most dudes drop in 2-3 shots instead of half a clip or more. Feels way better.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Speaking of driving, I haven’t seen anyone comment about the fact they unfucked the driving controls. When I saw it was R2 and L2 to accelerate and decelerate, I was so happy. The stick-based driving in 4 and I presume 3 (played that one on PC) was some dumb mid-2000s stuff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tumble posted:

I'm just such a fiend for a good proper wallbang that I really notice when it's not in games. Like why bother simulating ballistic drop if you can't even shoot through a thin wood wall?

Also animals not getting vehicles with you is a massive massive oversight. Peaches seems like she'd love car rides.

The fact you can see tagged enemies through walls makes the lack of penetration annoying. CoD4 had it in 2007, I don’t think it’s that hard to model.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

shut up blegum posted:

Buy consoles and you'll never have to worry about fps again

Honestly, I haven’t had a single hitch on my OG PS4 and it still looks fantastic.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AndrewP posted:

I haven't had a gaming PC for that long but man it's hard to go back to playing FPSs on a controller.

It is indeed. I’m mostly only playing this on PS4 because my gaming computer broke and I can’t afford a new one right now, but man I miss snapping headshots everywhere.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Morter posted:

Maybe it wasn't clear but the animation was clearly if the deputy *placing* the c4 on the car. Once i get home i can demonstrate.

If you’re right up against something, it’ll say “place” instead of throw. I did that with a silo with the default C4 and found out it wasn’t sticky when it rolled off. Definitely had an animation like he was planting sticky stuff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Feenix posted:

That is definitely an option I need to consider. But the roads feel like, game-breakingly bad.
I am having the hardest loving time setting traps for these Convoys because of the 15 enemy trucks that come by in the moments beforehand.

Ive heard hitting their garages in each region reduces it, but I only just got US auto so I’m not sure. There’s notes in the buildings about bolstering convoys there, so it makes sense.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Le Saboteur posted:

I realized what may be so fresh about the soundtrack of Far Cry 5 is that its an actual film composer doing his first game soundtrack and not stuck in the ways of typical composition for video games. Felt the same when they had Gustavo Santaolalla do the soundtrack for The Last of Us.

If I still lived in bumfuck nowhere, I would definitely sit on my porch with some beer and play the menu music on loop.

E:

Feenix posted:

I will try that. I don't want them GONE GONE... just lighten up some? I mean, I can't step out onto a street for more than about 20 seconds before I get the "you are being seen by an oncoming vehicle!" warning.

Again, not sure, but it’s been a little bit and it feels like they’re lighter than they were. Let me know if you have any results.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Thank you so much for finding this. Gonna put it on for my commute to work on Monday.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Morter posted:

I don't care for guitar-centric country/bluegrass music (The closest I'll like is space outlaw stuff a la Firefly or the Terran music in Starcraft), but this game has it really nice. It reminds me a lot of old West stuff, really, as in Red Dead Redemption.

This game’s music is pretty firefly-y, but if you ever want a perfect album to go with this game, look up Steep Canyon Rangers’ “Tell the Ones I Love”. Stand and Deliver works great, and the rest rules. Their other albums with Steve Martin are good poo poo but don’t really fit the soundtrack.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

I like how the game keeps popping up "DO NOT KILL INNOCENT CIVILIANS" as if it's gonna stop me

I keep getting that because the one thing bullets seem to penetrate is the back doors of the prison vans.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

I don't know how Adelaide joined my party, but holy gently caress she is the worst and most annoying character. I can't figure out how to dismiss her? I don't see any option in the key bindings and if I talk to her she just comments about needing to get laid.

Go to the menu, and pick Roster. You can dismiss her from there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sorta. stuff can gently caress you up if gang up on you, but no, not really.

I’ve avoided leveling my health up at all, and it keeps things fairly tense because I can’t tank damage like nuts.

I really like the perk system in this. 3 and 4 made it so you felt like you were loving up if you didnt get a headshot or takedown because of the XP differential, and it also rewarded stealth outpost captures so much it made things heavily favor silenced sniper rifles. In this, I’ll mix it up some to get challenges checked off, but I never feel like I’m playing wrong.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DLC Inc posted:

I don't remember character progression being so tedious in FC4. Needing to get all these loving perk points just to get a goddamn 3rd weapon slot is really lovely, and I also think you get less cash for poo poo? I remember you had to save up for poo poo in FC4 but overall you were getting loot worth more. Then I can't even get special arrows because I need "black market" poo poo, wtf is this. I can't even by separate ammo, the game makes you refill everything for more loving money.
There's a lot of very basic things that could have been easily remedied in this iteration but jesus they add up and it's like the game is determined to block off the more fun aspects behind other poo poo.

I got the 3rd weapon slot faster because I didn’t need to go find specific critters to cut up, but I’m still waiting on the 4th.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SpazmasterX posted:

Is it just me or is the wingsuit just not as good as the FC3 and 4 versions? It just feels like you fall faster and you can't get as far as you used to unless you're air dropping. Like I'm pretty sure you could take off from a shallow hill in those two.

It feels about the same to me once I’m going, but finding anywhere with enough room to deploy it is way harder, at least in John’s region.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rookersh posted:

Joseph doesn't want his kin killing you. He wants you to be "redeemed", and you can't be redeemed if they kill you.

If you get gunned down in self defense though, that's just your Wrath consuming you. You couldn't be saved.

As much as I REALLY HATE the Marked Squads, the whole "Don't kill the Deputy, we have to save them." fits his arc pretty well.

In other news, most perks suck?

Health + is important, but after Health 1 I felt pretty invincible. Scared to go further for fear of ruining the game.

Lower cooldowns on Named GFH only seems good for Nick. Nobody else can't be replaced by randos. It seems its also possible to groom randos to be better then their Named counterparts in a lot of ways.

2 GFH is necessary. 2/3 guns is necessary. Welding Torch/Lockpicks are really nice. +Vehicle Damage Bullets should be nice but don't seem to do much. Faster crouch speed/harder to see crouch speed seem uh, a little broken.

All the rest suck.

Black Market is pretty handy, and all the mobility stuff like grapple and wingsuit are pretty good. I’ve gotten a fair bit of mileage from auto repair so I can just blow by encounters I want to skip and be none the worse for wear.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I was talking about this while playing with a friend and the feeling I get is they were trying to avoid a scenario where the player does all the side-content in the entire game THEN goes and does the storyline in rapid-bap succession which I guess would somewhat throw the narrative of their reach and influence in the area somewhat as well as give narrative issues where you had them completely screwed but they were still acting like they were in command. Not to mention the pacing would end up all over the place. They clearly wanted the choice of where to go in the game world to be open completely, so that somewhat tosses out the opportunity for staggering the narrative along with staggering the opening up of the game world. The problem ends up being that in order to tell this story the way they want to, they have to literally force the narrative on you.

It doesn't help that Ubisoft seem genuinely unable to give you narrative related to a villain character unless they have you pinned down dazed, hosed up on drugs, or captured. I wonder if there's a tally of Far Cry missions that have you confront a villain but first they make sure to smack you in the face when you open a door and wrench all agency away from you in the meantime.

This makes more sense than the idea that Ubi farmed off the story missions to a B team. It’s too bad the story kicks you in the balls like that, though. I’ve liked the story missions more than most but the interruption makes me dread getting a new resistance point.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

John's "gimmick", which they half-assed, is that he's hedonistic. I killed him last night and aside from his "I took it in every hole in my body" speech, which I believe is meant to reference both gayness and stuff like needles. After you kill him, Joseph has a speech where he tells you that he used to be "full of life" and "joy" when they were younger

I didn’t get hedonism from that. He’s a pathological people pleaser, he talks about how his abusive parents broke him and how he would go with anything people wanted because he was conditioned to.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
when the captured deputy in John’s bunker smashes the photo of Joseph, the screen flashed to a mushroom cloud for a second. I’m pretty sure the cult conditions people to have apocalyptic visions when bad poo poo happens to Joseph when they’re blissed up. There is probably no actual nuking.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My biggest problem with the mandatory missions at resistance point thresholds is how the enemy presence totally drops when you kill the leader for a region. They really need to add a way to turn patrols back on in a patch, because that really adds life to the world. I don’t want to do a bunch of missions and speed up the time until I don’t have cultists to kill while I dick around.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Far Cry 5 has a lot of stuff that improved over 4. The fact it doesn’t take half a drat clip to drop someone is great, the shooting feels snappier, and the levelup system is so much better and encourages you to mix it up and try new things or go exploring for stashes.

Too bad the story mode gets in the way the more you play it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
4 needed a DLC campaign where you side with Pagan Min/burn down both sides and take over for yourself. But yeah, I would say The Far Cry series goes 2>4>5>3 with 1 as a completely separate thing. 3’s campaign stuff is better than 5’s but the minute to minute gameplay is better in 5.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

I liked in FC3 how Vas was the breakout character but it was completely accidental on the gently caress up writer’s part because dude gets unceremoniously killed and replaced by Generic Villain Man like 3/4’s into the game

They knew Vaas was going to be popular (look at how all the marketing centered around him), the problem was they didn’t know how much he was going to fuckin’ own until they auditioned Michael Mando for the part. They expanded his role a lot, but by the point that stuff is done they had so much of the writing and design done they couldn’t just make him the main villain.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Coldforge posted:

JFC, The Division and Far Cry 5 are their best launches ever? Great job reinforcing poo poo game development, video game nerds.

With The Division they went back and fixed all the complaints over the six months following launch. It was a solid game with a hosed endgame, though, which is easier to fix by adding content and adjusting difficulty. Stuff like the hosed story missions in this or crap ending are much harder to work around.

Also, god drat people, they’re the US Marshals. One L. Marshall is a dumb suburb kid name.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Penpal posted:

Can't the all the poo poo people complain about Far Cry 2 be modded out fairly easily? Like the outposts respawning and the malaria and the broken guns.

The outposts are the main thing you can’t (or couldn’t a few years ago, I dunno if someone found a way), because the spawning is a part of how the game handles maps. When you leave the current grid square, it’s basically removed from memory. That means if you clear an outpost on the corner of a map grid square, walk out of that part of the map, and turn around, all the soldiers respawn.

Also, anyone else only silencing their sidearm? Now that I don’t feel like I have to no-detection bonus all the outposts I try not to do silent sniper rifles, since those just make poo poo way too easy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

shortspecialbus posted:

If you need to refill them, go to a shop, switch to a different melee weapon that you own, and switch back. It'll refill. I make sure I have enough shovels that way, although I bought the smiley ones so maybe that's unique to that one?

For fishing, it's somewhat worth getting the final rod that you get from doing all the fishing quests. If you have need of it after getting it, you can basically just hold down the reel in button and get your fish with zero effort. But it takes away the entire challenge. It's actually a tangible reward, though - mainly useful if you want to quick just farm up some cash with zero effort. Which you won't need by the time you have the rod anyways. Maybe it's not worth it, come to think about it.

It works with the non-prestige ones too.

I found a combat satchel upgrade in a prepper stash that gave me +1 carrying capacity for throwable combat items. That’s pretty neat. Stacked on the perk and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
God this game has so much wrong with it but I just spent an hour in a region I already cleared doing side missions and fishing and it was some of the most fun I’ve had with an FPS since DOOM.