Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

Any news to the multiplayer in the game?

The stuff I've been finding is people saying that unlike 4 the whole story is co-opable but I can't find the dev source on that, so take it as you will.

Also finding a bunch of stuff about a 6v6 TDM MP mode, which normally I would give zero fucks about but if it works with the map editor might be ultra rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Cool and good.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Songbearer posted:

You can get 20% off if you have 100 ubisoft funny moneys in uplay. Click on Store and there'll be a link to exchange it for a voucher in the top right. This does mean your game is tied to the uplay launcher instead of STEAM but since it forces you to use it anyway I guess it really doesn't make too much of a difference v:v:v

Uh doesn't that not work on pre and new releases?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Goddamnit.

E: Doesn't seem to be working here. I thought there was a way to claim the discount through the client instead of the coupon method but I can't find it anymore.

Orv fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 19, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

Been confirmed in interviews with devs that stabbing weapons are not returning. We got throwing knives and a slingshot that looks big fun, but no :ese:

But then how will I roleplay an alligator as the series creeps ever closer to allowing you to Assassin's Creed a dude on a dock out of the murky bayou.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They murder a fuckton of cultists every day though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

I was a little worried so I checked out an outpost stealth takedown+bow video on YouTube and it looked pretty much like every other Far Cry game so I'm satisfied that I'll be getting what I expect and what has been cut isn't changing the fundamentals of the game.

As long as it still has the super cool grab + throw take down chain I'm not honestly annoyed or anything, it just seems like an odd choice to have to justify.

Orv
May 4, 2011

botany posted:

i feel like i'm the only person who liked climbing the towers haha. what did they replace them with? i assume you still need to unlock areas, because ubisoft.

NPCs and environmental clues, according to them.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Songbearer posted:

Bears have like five claws per paw so you're essentially trading out carrying a knife to have a buddy with twenty knives strapped to him on a permanent basis

"Knife bear" is a depressingly uninteresting Google search, I'm afraid to report.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yes. Yes. Probably not. Sadly no.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just want the inevitable drug mission to introduce me to another cool band.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It would figure.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I saw a promo for a TV special about the Waco siege and it made me think: between Rainbow Six: Patriots (cancelled), Rainbow Six: Siege (all the terrorist hunt enemies are obviously American), The Division, Far Cry 5, and probably The Division 2, does anyone else find it really sketchy how Ubisoft keeps developing and releasing games where you play as a United States federal agent who kills United States citizens en masse?

I'm not entirely sure if it actually amounts to anything but... it's kind of an ominous trend.

You uh, get the news, yeah?

Pithy answers mostly aside, no, not really.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 23, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh, didn't even see who it was. Nevermind.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Character creation in an FC game seems like a fuckin waste of time

I mean it's not going to be Saint's Row or anything, it takes about a minute. And honestly if a mute protagonist comes from that brief customization I am totally fine with it, because absolutely some of the worst parts of 3 and 4 were the dumbass you played as.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

How long before people start legitimately complaining about binary gender decisions? Especially in an Ubisoft game.

I'm not going to go looking to corroborate it, but I'm going to guess last week.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Is this a release same time everywhere thing? Or any chance of VPN adventures.

What I'm finding is that it's releasing everywhere, whatever time it may be there, at 12AM EST on the 27th. That or everyone is misunderstanding the wording.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 26, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011

Morter posted:

What steam is telling me is 12AM (It's close to 10PM EST, March 25th, as of this post)

Woops, yes, brain no work today good.

Orv
May 4, 2011

exploded mummy posted:

look this is why you need your sidearm to be the M79

its both silent and noisy

I'm going to be very sad when my coop partner cannot shoot a grenade launcher out the back of that Zero.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mycroft Holmes posted:

does this game have a rolling release date or does it only release at 12am new york time or some such?

All signs point to global at 12AM EST on the 27th.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Far Cry 5: Fuckin' Nancy!

Orv
May 4, 2011

nexus6 posted:

When you clear out the dude's island? Yeah, I did that and didn't get anything about binoculars

If you climb that platform by the very first two cultists you find out from the bunker, it gives you the prompt. Not sure anything else does.

E: Also by the way, there aren't eagles, and there aren't cassowary. Watch out for those turkeys though.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 27, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bloodplay it again posted:

It says on the Steam store page unlocks in less than an hour. Is this not right?

29 minutes.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Should be unpackable on Steam/launchable on Uplay now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

The Sheriff's name being Whitehorse can't be a coincidence...

Pretty sure it's entirely for that one line but who knows.

Orv
May 4, 2011

BexGu posted:

Would only really work if you get the movement options that Dying Light had and decent level design. Between the grappling hook (which lets face it was a non swinging spider man webshot), paktor, and climb able ledges everywhere was what made running around in Dying Light fun.

Have you clambered around much? They just straight up jacked the movement system/animations from Dying Light and shoved it into this game. It's kinda nuts.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You keep individual progression, skills, guns, certain kinds of PoI loot (though as the joiner you don't get the silver bars from outpost safes so go back for those on your own) you just don't get story/mission progression when you go 'home'.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Morter posted:

Whaaat? It seems identical to FC4. What's different/resending Dying Light to you?

You can do the Dying Light Mario jump, like jump land jump immediately to kind of skate forward and fly further, the clambering animation is the exact same as the Dying Light one (granted I think that might just be the same across both games because how many ways is there to animate that), the jump feels exactly the same to me. Honestly it's most likely that FC 3 & 4 already felt like Dying Light and I just only have such a vivid mental connection because I just started replaying Dying Light.

E: And because they've served up a lot more Dying Light style jumping puzzles this time around, like the Dumpster Diving prepper stash.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 27, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011

shut up blegum posted:

Game owns but I die all the time lol. Also boomer fucks up stealthy approaches because he randomly attacks cultists :(

Ironically by creating they first useful AI companions (ie they can actually kill things) in video games, they are totally useless because they have absolutely no self-control.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jusupov posted:

Does this game feel super easy to anyone else? Playing on hard sniping fools with the pistol and shovel

The modernized Far Cry games have only ever been hard when you gently caress up, or if you intentionally make it hard on yourself. You can silently snipe the entire game with basically no recourse on the part of the AI.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CordlessPen posted:

One thing I haven't seen mentionned about Far Cry 5 is the fire. They kept toning it down since Far Cry 2, and it's disappointing every time. I know it used to cause huge problems and was overpowered, but I still miss the Far Cry 2 forest fires.

How is it in this game?

It's about the same as 2, maybe 80 feet from point of ignition, for the exact same reason of if it didn't stop it'd burn down the entire world. Bigger than 3 and 4 but it'll always burn down less than you want.

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 27, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bonobos posted:

So assuming I have both a ps4 pro and Xbox one x, which version is the one to get for the better performance / experience?

Also, does this have any local coop? I’d like to play with my wife also but it google is telling me no, though some peeps in this thread seem to be doing just that.

Presumably the people up thread are playing on separate systems in the same room/house. There is no split.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I'm confused about the intro car chase everyone's talking about. I cleared Dutch's Island, he told me to go to Fall's End. I went, I liberated it, I haven't heard from Dutch since and went to open up the airport.

The one before the island?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The first walk into the cult compound oozed menace, at least, and that dude bringing down the helicopter by mulching himself in the propellor sold that these dudes are hardcore into protecting Joseph. I mean, eeeesh.

It wasn’t as good as the Vaas stuffsure, but IIRC that was kind of a happy accident. They weren’t planning on him being such a central figure to the game but Mando’s performance was so good they upped his role substantially. I think the real failing of Joseph as a villain isn’t the writing as much as the acting. Mando and Baker sold their roles so well.

It's hard to do quiet menace, especially without face capture. (At least I assume a lack of face capture from the quality of the sync, who knows.) Buoyant psychopathy is much easier to get across in quality VO. I think he does a fine job, but he's probably a better TV actor than a voice one.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

I'll actually give you the opening scene, that was pretty decent, but nothing changes from there.

I haven't finished the game yet, but all of the main antagonists are the same in that they are one-note as all hell without exhibiting anything unique or intriguing.

99% of the time, poo poo like that doesn't bother me, but you don't get games that work with an American cult theme too often and it's just disappointing (but not surprising) that it's so dull.

To be fair the side villains in 3 and 4 weren't particularly interesting, at least compared to Vaas/Min. They had moments but they were similarly one note and kind of dully driven. It's also just kind of a losing proposition, you can't keep striking gold every time when you focus so much into the main villain, the odds are too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Stuck on my first real mission... how the hell do you create snacks for peaches the cougar? There's nothing on the weapon/utility wheel. Did I make a mistake by going there first?

The explosives/throwables boxes have multiple items in them. On PC you mouse over and scroll wheel, then right-click hold to craft. Bait is in, 7?