Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I don't have the same fatigue to this series as everyone else since I started with FC4 and loved it. The chaos of the gunplay was great and so was the weapon customization, shooting grenades from gyrocopters, throwing meat to entice a tiger raid on a compound, doing stealth Rambo poo poo with a bow and watching a base freak out....pure fun. Even the in-game Guide To Kyrat was fun to read; they put a lot of effort into writing some fun descriptions for all the characters, animals, and areas. FC5 looks like even more with the crazy DLC to come and the map editor stuff looks to be extremely my poo poo. Ubisoft has been on kind of a revitalization lately with AC Origins/Kingdom Battle/ continued support for Siege and For Honor so I'm pretty keen on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

waypoint wrote a bunch are articles about how "annoyed" they were that they weren't able to shoot Chuds and poo poo even though the game never made that case. that article says more about austin walker(who i usually like) then it does about far cry 5. he wanted it to be the new collusos but with trumpists and it wasn't'. so he is irritated about it.

what a loving moron. goddamn I just want to know more about the grizzly bear summon and the grappling hook areas and what I can do with my silly biplane. gently caress this discourse about a thematic thing that was barely even there in the first place

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"Ben Kuchera"

lol no loving thank you.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the only story beats I cared about in Far Cry 4 were the moments with Pagan Min and the exhaustively interesting "Kyrat Guide" which had really amusing writing about the wildlife and characters therein. Everything else was pretty much adequate and I did like how you were forced to confront how both factions helping you out were very lovely in their own ways. I'm hoping FC5 at least has some kind of triangle of mistrust as well.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

apparently it sorta does, which pissed off the polygon dude.

that sounds great though. lol though at the opening quote "It’s yet another mainstream game that takes crisis or tragedy and builds a Ferris wheel on top of it, while intimating that you’re bad for wanting to take a ride" that actually sounds fun as gently caress. He even intimates that a drugged out boss fight wherein the boss warps around is somehow bad? Holy poo poo. Just when he gets to how fun the actual gameplay is he veers back into how bad the story is.

Game journalists are the most unfun fuckers in the world now to the point where the reviewers are scared to death of admitting a thing is fun because they might lose outrage points at this not being a masturbatory right wing death simulator

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pylons posted:

If it pulls the "both sides are bad!" bullshit that sucks, but I'll enjoy it just like I enjoyed bioshock infinite which did the same thing.

FC4 def pulled an "all sides are bad" card but it didn't really affect much besides some missions being a little different and 1 or 2 secret ends you could get

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cultural Marxist posted:

Right?

Who is playing Far Cry games for the story or any kind of social commentary?

All I want to do is blow poo poo up and set people on fire.

e:

Pagan Min was good and cool and the real hero of 4.

The reveal that Mohan was a horrible rear end in a top hat as well in FC4 was really rad too. For a game that takes the "everyone is bad" approach, FC4 went all-in with zero shame and it owned. But yeah I do wish you could have worked for Pagan Min in some insane DLC. The 3 DLC things plus the Arcade mode in FC5 look real good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

as long as I can still run and then slide while shooting an arrow into someone's face I'm good. I loving hate any first/third person shooter without a "running slide" which is part of why I thought Wildlands sucked so much (MGSV gets a pass because it not only had tactical rolling but also a tactical jumping dive)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Is there some kind of weird flickering light poo poo happening on anyone's PS4 versions? Everytime I move or turn the whole goddamn world gives off a subtle weird light flicker and the game in unplayable like this, it's going to gently caress my eyes up

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

Sure but since you're never going to use it full auto I just call it that *shrug*

But no matter. I get what you were saying.

I was also going to ask DLC Inc if it was the mind altering affect. Is it happening when you're near either the bliss plant, bliss clouds, or in the water in Faith's region? In fact half of faith's region will do that to you.

Edit: wording

nah, this was in Joseph's territory. Maybe the shadows are really loving bad but the effect is so lovely it's giving me a headache, maybe it will go away after I turn it off.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

how long til I unlock weapon customization? just got off the starter island and in the John Seed area but the only "shop" I found was a boathouse. Please tell me I can just refill individual ammo later because it only had a "refill all" option which is bullshit.

Really disappointed there's no "encyclopedia" of stuff like Far Cry 4 wherein every animal and character had a journal entry. The options screen feels so goddamn empty.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I don't remember character progression being so tedious in FC4. Needing to get all these loving perk points just to get a goddamn 3rd weapon slot is really lovely, and I also think you get less cash for poo poo? I remember you had to save up for poo poo in FC4 but overall you were getting loot worth more. Then I can't even get special arrows because I need "black market" poo poo, wtf is this. I can't even by separate ammo, the game makes you refill everything for more loving money.
There's a lot of very basic things that could have been easily remedied in this iteration but jesus they add up and it's like the game is determined to block off the more fun aspects behind other poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

in a sea of complaints I think the worst one I have is how you acquire guns. I felt like I could get almost any of them in FC4 if I dedicated myself to side missions but now legit more than half of the weapons are locked behind getting region meters to a certain level. One of them unlocked at like "level 8" motherfucker the game is practically gonna be over and void of outposts by then, christ. It reminds me of Just Cause 3 all over again, another game determined to barricade you off from having fun.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Got kidnapped for 2nd time by John and....hooooooookay guess they're "going places" with his origin? Is he insinuating what I think he is in terms of his past?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Another reason why I think Pagan Min is still the best antagonist of the series. Unlike the other villains he had a good reason for wanting to keep you alive, as the last remnant of a woman he loved. He was a tyrant but also pointed out how hosed up the Golden Path were (Mohan killed your half-sister, Sabal is a child-marrying religious weirdo, Amita wants to be a drug lord) and it also helped he had a fantastic design and voice actor. So did Vas but I did find Pagan Min to be more fun.

In this game things seem very cut and dried, it's a bunch of nutjobs who are very damaged by their pasts, and definitely leans more along the line of cult militants than political zealots. At no point yet have I felt the same I did in FC4, wherein you're bound to help even an imperfect and possibly hosed up faction. Kyrat in essence is a really messed up place and your dead mother's wishes that you visit it is actually supremely irresponsible now that I think about it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

Wasn't the reason that she knew that you'd fix their situation?

I know that's absurd but it's nowhere close to the stupidity of the FC5 plot.

well she may have thought so but she also failed to mention "hey btw this country is still under the iron thumb of a man I may or may not have hosed on the side, and had a side-kid with, who was then killed by your father"

That's another thing: the secret ending in FC4 was actually very cool and revealed this secret WAY earlier than intended. Like, it was poo poo you wouldn't have known about until very late in the game, in an area you won't see until the very last moments of the story. The secret ending in FC5 you get by hesitating, however, is a thousand times lazier, worthless, and doesn't lead to any kind of interesting scene. It's insulting that it's even an option when weighed against the previous title's alternative end.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

Well yeah, that would just be hamfisted writing and no writer would be so obvious (and we're talking after Far Cry 5 has been released). I'm not saying that any of it is good, but the vibe was always that she was a good woman who knew her son would have what it took and it gave a more meaningful reason to have you go back. It's decent enough writing to start a game that isn't completely hollow like "She really just wanted you to scatter her ashes. That was it.".

The fact that you can end the game early and leave the region by doing nothing is kind of clever in cementing that. You can save yourself, but the Kyrat is hosed without you.

Yeah I agree completely, even with that obliviousness it still sets up for a character and a backstory you can care about, as well as a straight up historical connection with Pagan Min, who tries to become some weird father figure to you through the encounter. The protagonist in FC5 is faceless and wordless so your connection to the plot and the story is def weaker for it. Luckily quite a few npc/guns for hire are fun but man, next time just get the guy who did the voice for Adam Jensen in this poo poo so we can have a raspy angry officer trade barbs and insult the cult hicks.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the idea everyone has about turning this into an eldritch cult are fantastic but sadly Ubisoft has had a "NO FANTASY BULLSHIT" mandate for EVER and thus we're never getting a Far Cry like that. We'll have to rely on the people who made Dying Light to do it, since I can't think of another capable studio who can mimic this kind of game. Bethesda is another open world 1st person game but those are more RPGs and are far more loving janky, Bethesda would never be able to make a game that looks or feels as good mechanically as Far Cry 4/5.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Deakul posted:

Sure is a lot of romanticizing past games going on. :thunk:
Save for the story kidnapping you for a bit here and there, I'd call FC5 a drastic improvement in just about every way, I can't see myself ever going back to 3 or 4.

FC5 is fun enough and I've enjoyed it so far but every single thing besides the Guns for Hire system feels like a step back in quality or intuitive design, especially in terms of the progression unlocks or the gun selection being shrunk + being locked behind so much. If I wanted a cool gun in FC4 I could just do specific things to get it and wouldn't have to rush Story stuff to unlock it.

Like, there's zero reason to have a wingsuit in this game, there is no loving verticality besides a few random spots or if you use Air Drop. Hell even from an aesthetic standpoint, I prefer Kyrat and I really miss the "Pagan's Kyrat" fun little encyclopedia. There's nothing like that here. It sounds like a stupid thing to bring up but comparing the secret ending of FC4 to FC5 and it's just so indicative of how little they gave a poo poo when it comes to that little something extra.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Far Cry Predator in the country or swamplands of some hosed up bayou would own. gently caress being an anonymous rookie cop, let me Become Death with heat vision and ridiculous technology

I realize I'm describing a redneck Blood Dragon 2 but so be it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

EVERY Ubisoft game needs this. They've all been fun games but with little nitpicks that could easily be tweaked in a "modifier" menu like this. XCOM2 became one of my favorite games ever with mod utility and poo poo like AC0 and now FC5 would be so SO much better if they introduce this. I really hope it gets added to consoles because I'd pick AC0 back up immediately.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zelmel posted:

Gotta say, for all that the plot and such is crap, I'm really looking forward to the DLC packs.

I got less excited when people pointed out they might just use parts of each of the 3 maps as fodder for them, i.e. zombie map being a reskinned Faith area, etc

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

how different are the 4 variants of the ending? Wondering what I'm in for as I approach the end.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

Ok.

Is there a way (aside from backing it up) to return to my save after finishing it? Or is the only way to backup my save?

I'm right at the ending, I think, or at least near it, but I am about to start the whole thing in coop with my wife and I don't want to lose all my progress since I wouldn't get it back with a new game.

im just gonna youtube whichever one I don't do

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

I totally agree with the posters who are saying Ubi would make the best fallout game.

out of any developer Ubisoft absolutely has the means to challenge Bethesda's jankyass engine and ugly brown worlds. Far Cry 4 and 5 proved they could make beautiful immersive worlds, and with better writers/voice actors/a different skill tree system in a larger world it'd capitalize on the flaws of Fallout 4. But making such a game would require more effort than the typical Far Cry so idk if this would ever happen.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ostrava posted:

I'm not really sure what it is about Far Cry 3 or 4 that had people expecting some sort of narrative excellence in 5. I went into FC5 not expecting much more than a big Montana colored sand box in which to blow things up. Judged by that perspective FC5 seems like they really nailed it to me.

I guess if you believed the marketing? Some people fall for that stuff still right?

Far Cry 4 at least had a coherent tale about legacy, weird family and nationalistic poo poo, shades of grey in the factions you helped, and a charismatic antagonist voiced by Troy Baker who had perhaps the most legit reason for never just killing you out of all of the Far Cry big bads.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is it a glitch once you beat the game that you can't go back? I chose the second option in the final confrontation and then the credits rolled, wanted to go back and get the real ending, but everytime I load the save the loving radio music starts playing and jettisons me to the credits lol. I guess I'm hosed and the game just hosed itself. Oh well.

Figured there was no way to remedy this on console so I looked up the ending and I loving love it, it's the creepiest last image ending of anything I've played in a long time and almost hilarious. Ending reminded me of the original ending idea for Red State where the loonies were right all along.. It would have been more a surprise were it not for some dumbfuck in this thread spoiling what happens but it was still a fun ending, which was more than I can say about FC4's "CONGRATULATION" end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

for the most part nobody touches Troy Baker's work in Far Cry 4 here but I will admit the Apocalypse Now talking head segments with Joseph Seed, especially the snot-ridden last one, are really well done. It's a shame a lot of character backstory is saved until after certain deaths but I liked the voice actor's work in those moments and in the finale. Feel like if the VA had more room to stretch out and some of the writing earlier on was edited, his character would have been really great. That last lingering moment with Joseph near the end is legit upsetting and beyond creepy.