Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_0qvqGzAd4

Welcome to Hope County, Montana, land of the free and the brave but also home to a fanatical doomsday cult known as Eden’s Gate. Stand up to cult leader Joseph Seed, and his siblings, the Heralds, to spark the fires of resistance and liberate the besieged community. :clint:

FIGHT AGAINST A DEADLY CULT
Free Hope County in solo or two-player co-op. Recruit Guns and Fangs for hire to help defeat the cult.

A WORLD THAT HITS BACK
Wreak havoc on the cult and its members but beware of the wrath of Joseph Seed and his followers.

CARVE YOUR OWN PATH
Build your character and choose your adventure in the largest customizable Far Cry game ever!

DYNAMIC TOYS
Take control of iconic muscle cars, ATV's, planes and a lot more to engage the cult forces in epic fights.

RE-DEFINED STEALTH MECHANICS
Enhance your gameplay with eye tracking. Tag enemies by looking at them to increase your stealth skills and help your teammates spot threats.
Compatible with all Tobii Eye Tracking gaming devices.

:coolfish:

quote:

Rumors of a fanatical cult called The Project at Eden's Gate lure three vloggers to remote Hope County, Montana. Following leads of missing locals and other strange events, the three infiltrate the cult. Shocked by what they uncover, they risk everything to warn the world.
Inside Eden's Gate, a Far Cry 5 short film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KRnOXQswrk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdaoe4hbMso
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J695Yz33TY4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSs91a7ur54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QwW0jisKug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFIAg7ByYVA

quote:

MINIMUM CONFIGURATION:

OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5-2400 @ 3.1 GHz or AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5 GHz or equivalent
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 or AMD R9 270 (2GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better)
SYSTEM RAM: 8GB
Resolution: 720p
Video Preset: Low

RECOMMENDED CONFIGURATION (60 FPS):

OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2 GHz or equivalent
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or AMD R9 290X (4GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better)
SYSTEM RAM: 8GB
Resolution: 1080p
Video Preset: High

Details on the new map editor.
Details on the season pass.

Release date: March 27th.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/552520/Far_Cry_5/
https://store.ubi.com/us/far-cry--5/591567f6ca1a6460388b4568.html
:siren::911::siren:

Deakul fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I have no doubt that it's just more Far Cry only now in America but... I'm not too bummed about it.

I liked FC4 more than 3 just because it improved upon everything that I found middling about it... even the story somewhat.(which I honestly never gave too much of a crap about with FC games)
It realized its strengths and doubled down.

FC5 seems to be doing that again.

I wish they had more things to actually destroy, blowing apart buildings with all of the new toys they're adding would be great but it feels like Red Faction Guerilla was a fluke in destructibility at this point.

Otherwise, can't wait to go fishing and then immediately switch gears to murderin... with a buddy!

Deakul fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 10, 2018

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tumble posted:

Ubisoft owns the technology to Rainbow Six: Siege so the ability for dynamic destruction is technically available, but I imagine it's more a matter of it being tougher to design around as well as expensive hardware-wise.

I think the next console generation is going to see games looking as good as the best PC games look now, at which point graphics development will kind of taper off and we'll start seeing physics and animation start to make major leaps.

Oh man, I'd absolutely settle for destruction on the level of R6 Siege and yeah, it's likely a different ballgame entirely to have it for every building in an open world game with today's graphics.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I really wanted dinosaurs in this one but apparently there's no such luck

They're just a different type of dinosaur, they're ideological dinosaurs!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izA3LwuD79A

Not gonna lie, this video has me somewhat concerned.
I definitely enjoy down time in my open world games and if it really just throws non-stop conflict and explosions in your face then that's going to probably get old pretty fast.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

FC4's co-op was only limited to side activities and free roam, not the story missions.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The MTX are just the usual cosmetics and time saver stuff that every Ubi game has.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

If FC3, 4, and Primal are any indication... there will probably be a small amount of grind to craft upgrades for things but if it's as generous with supplies as those were then I don't think it'll be too bad.

Even ACO's grinding didn't turn out to be as bad as people thought it'd be.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I think Primal was the only one with time saving crap, Ubi mostly put them in the AC and W_D series.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Wait, why in the gently caress not? That's some bullshit.

Their ingame justification is that it's because you're a cop and cops don't use stabbing weapons I guess???? (but yeah throwing knives and RPGs and flamethrowers are a-ok)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf1BP6hxg2M

:kimchi:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I'm really close to preordering, but no knife? Am I supposed to just chain carotid chokes/necksnaps? Chain-murdering patrols was one of the most fun things in FC3/4/Blood Dragon. :unsmigghh: Devs obviously don't know that you need to gut the roadkill while it's fresh. (Not to mention the FC staple of skinning everything to make your advanced hairy smelly tactical load-bearing equipment.)

Also, how are they gonna gently caress you over for playing in the water features? I grew up in Montana, ain't no poisonous/fanged lizards around, and the trout and such aren't gonna suddenly franzy and shred anything bigger than a bug.

I think that they said that bears are the closest thing to water threats.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

You guys just need to care your dogs, alright?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

You get a pet cat too.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Xander77 posted:

Ubisoft games never get mods, right? I'm already interested in something that would remove the limits on the number of followers, so I can travel with an entire zoo.

Far Cry games can be modded to a certain extent, something like what you suggest could probably get done.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I saw a promo for a TV special about the Waco siege and it made me think: between Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Rainbow Six: Patriots (cancelled), Rainbow Six: Siege (all the terrorist hunt enemies are obviously American), The Division, Far Cry 5, and probably The Division 2, does anyone else find it really sketchy how Ubisoft keeps developing and releasing games where you play as a United States federal agent who kills United States citizens en masse?

I'm not entirely sure if it actually amounts to anything but... it's kind of an ominous trend.

More like most of those are Tom Clancy games.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hexenritter posted:

Any idea what time of day the preload on Steam will go active?

Looking forward to setting my dog on multi-ethnic christian separatists!

https://www.reddit.com/r/farcry/comments/86gjm9/official_fc5_preload_times/

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Re: To anyone asking if this game still has a sense of humor despite the cult subject matter.
https://www.gamesradar.com/sex-bulls-party-pigs-and-testicle-festivals-far-cry-5s-gone-kind-of-mad-and-its-brilliant/

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I really didn't like FC2 at all, I've tried to like it several times and I just can't.

FC4 is probably my favorite game in the series, it's FC3 but in a cooler setting and with every mechanic much more refined... downside is the story is pants but whatever, it's Far Cry... who actually plays these things for the GRIPPING NARRATIVES?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

VanillaGorilla posted:

As a Montanan, the argument is kinda dumb anyway. Our crazies are much more the survivalist and sov-cit type and less crazy religious. The kind of cult they’ve inserted in the game is more like the kind of extremism you’d find in the South/Appalachia.

On top of that, 1/3rd of our ICBM fleet sits in the middle of the state so, I assure you, if some tattooed preacher started an armed uprising there would be more than a faceless sherriff’s deputy on the case.

Shut the gently caress up about this poo poo already and just kill crazy white people.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Earwicker posted:

since most of us don't have access to the game yet what is the problem with discussing the subject that the game is about?

Because it inevitably leads to people getting banned or threads getting closed cause goons don't know what lines to not cross, I feel like it's getting pretty close to that point already with some posters but they've since backed off or went to work or sleep.

Just chill with the politics behind it all, I highly doubt FC5 will even go that deep into the cult's message and why they're doing what they're doing.

Also, I'm sure by making this post I just self-fulfilled the prophecy. :godwin:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Earwicker posted:

I get your point but on the other hand the story, cult, setting, and supposed politics behind it are kind of the main thing the game brings to the table and are the focus of most coverage, and discussion not just here but in general.

gameplay wise other than the introduction of airplanes and the absence of a few animations, it's the same game we've already played. I'm definitely looking forward to it but I don't really see anything else particularly noteworthy going on in any trailers or reviews.

maybe I missed some bad part of the thread but most of what people are saying here seems fairly reasonable?

I might be overreacting a tad, I've had a bad morning, carry on.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Your first mistake was reading Kotaku.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Aw yiss, time to give it a whirl for about an hour until my cold meds kick in.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

RE: The guy that could not figure out how to pull out the binocs... it's literally in the key binding screen, dude... the default key is Z for ZOOM. :doh:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Heh @ the meta tower joke

GAME'S GOT JOKES FOLKS

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This game has really good music, god drat.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Blind Rasputin posted:

The main adversary of every far cry game has always been really well done, and this one does not disappoint. I’m only past the intro scenes and leaving the bunker for the first time but drat every bit of that intro was awesome. So intense, and that moment that brings down the helicopter what in the fuckkk.

The intro was pretty cool save for the car chase, that was pretty dumb.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Morter posted:

I would like to take you on a strange little trip that me and fellow goon Deakul have been engaging in, for the past 5 and a half hours in this Montana madness. I present you with:

The Ballad of Dan Stone

We met young Dan shortly after freeing some sort of car park from the clutches of Eden's Gate, and of the four fighters ready to be taken into the fight with us two lawmen, we knew he had something special about him.

And that something was a rocket-propelled grenade launcher.

At first, we thought, he was reserved and calculated. Our first mission was a car chase wherein we were in a vehicle the whole time, and Dan made conservative plinking bursts of his SMG-11 into an enemy hull, to little effect. Still, he was fun to have along for those few moments.

But then, when we went on foot, oh how things changed. Time after time, cultists in ATVs, pickups, and outright trucks would project their anger upon us, and Dan Stone was an absolute crackshot with that launcher, blasting time and time again at enemy vehicles.

Groups of enemies.

A lone wolf from 50 meters away.

No, not a lone wandering cultist. A lone prowling Canis Lupus.

Dan Stone would lob propelled grenades at just about anything we pointed him at.

Really.

Anything.

While I don't think it's a feature of this game, me and Deakul were worried that he started becoming unhinged. When he was just a rowdy youngster early on, he would repeatedly yell every few seconds about threats in an audible 'caps lock, bold, italics', often followed by a rocket that was not asked to be lobbed at the enemy. He would just open fire on random groups that spawned around us. Within the last couple of hours it was a frightening, and increasingly common occurrence, to hear "ISEEATHREAT!!!", followed by a rocket flying literally right by my head. As I was closing in on enemies--having a close-range preferred loadout--more than twice I was far enough that I didn't hear the launch, but instead the unannounced and sudden whoosh of an incoming rocket launcher that landed with a bead on my target.

His rapid ordnance launching was his own undoing as we were ambushed by several trucks worth of enemies, including a couple of flamers. While he never hurt himself with his blasts, flying debris from an exploded vehicle caught him in the gut. While he would be back in 8 minutes, we gave him a viking funeral.

He was--and is--an amazing generic fighter. He was quick to revive us, take on wildlife (he loving gibbed a dog), and keep us both on our toes because about 45% of the time he yelled "LETS DO THIS!!!", a ruinous explosion would usually follow.

:911:

:patriot:
:ohdear: If he's yelling at anything, for the love of god reel him in with the callback key asap.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 28, 2018

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The spawn rates are definitely way too loving high, can't drive more than a minute without running into road blocks and something that just wants to murder you.
Enemy aggression is just insane overall, I thought I burned my marshal uniform so I wouldn't be recognized and yet everyone knows who I am!

This would probably be a frustrating experience solo(but maybe not because the guns for hire are pretty fun to pal around with) but I'm having a blast in co-op, everything is just so ridiculous and it's satisfying to pull off missions without a hitch.

The gunplay is solid, enemies aren't bullet sponges, tons of upgrades and things to work towards, and a beautiful world to explore... with the promise of more content to come? I'm fully on board, definitely nabbing the season pass and maybe deluxe upgrade soon.

Far Cry Arcade on the other hand sucks poo poo right now, nothing but tiny maps or CS/COD remakes.

If they support this game half as well as they did Steep, ACO, R6 Siege, and For Honor then I wouldn't be too worried about anything.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 28, 2018

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, seems you can't detonate them when they drop to the ground.

You may be throwing proximity C4 instead.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Combat Pretzel posted:

"Grace under Fire", that's some grade-A bullshit mission.

That mission was hilarious for me and Morter.

I thought I had a great idea to have Dan the Rocket Man(rando RPG toting gun for hire) hang out in the eagle's nest with me and Grace while he was down below shotgunning mooks.

I made a grave( :haw: ) error in judgement when Dan immediately blew up one of the gravestones we were protecting so I put him in time out after that. :ohdear:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Morter posted:

:yohoho:

Me and Deakul's first trip into Faith's territory not only had hallucinations but extremely baffling vehicle physics where everytime I'd seemingly exit the vehicle, it'd get shoved sideways 40 feet and do wacky slides and spins. We quickly determined we were not ready for this area...

...Until a prepper's stash led us literally 20 feet into the territory again.

The stash was in a haunted house. :hb:

You forgot the part where we heard our trusty companion Dan get seemingly brutally murdered while a Joker-esque voice message was playing.
And then you go outside and he was... completely fine?!
:ghost:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tab8715 posted:

Is the multiplayer any good?

Co-op, yes.

Arcade, no... it needs a lot of time to get anything good out of it, as it is all of the content is very low effort, the netcode is poo poo, and you can't even chat.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm really not sure how you guys are stumbling into main story missions, I haven't done that once yet. :confused:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mandrel posted:

build resistance in areas and story missions will happen to you

Oh sure, the kidnappings, I meant like accidentally triggering other missions.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Morter posted:

Also more boats and pirate missions, and I wanna play as Haytham Kenway, and and

This but unironically

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/88f5w0/playing_as_a_female_protagonist_in_far_cry_5/

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This is probably one of the best co-op experiences I've had in a long time, I couldn't give 3 shits about the story because we honestly haven't even touched it that much in the 20 hours we have in it already. (we're afraid to stop the random events by beating any of the Seeds)

It's amazing how side tracked we can get just doing the side stuff or seeing how much trouble we can get into with the random events.

I can't disagree any harder on gun feel and combat, it feels better than entry in the series for me.
I do agree that weapon variety is a little sparse but I'm sure they'll add more to the game, their A+ support for ACO has me hopeful.

The Guns for Hire are so fun, I don't even care if they're broken or act goofy... it adds to the charm and they add a ton to the sandbox nature of the game.

And again, this is all in co-op, I probably wouldn't have given this game the time of day if it wasn't co-op honestly but I'm ultimately very glad that I got it and can't wait to see what else they do with it.

I just hope that they don't focus all of the post-release content on the Arcade mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

call to action posted:

No? Is there a better place to discuss performance issues?

You, uh, need to upgrade everything my dude.

edit: is this a belated april fools joke? :thunk:

Deakul fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 2, 2018