Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Far Cry is probably my one Triple A vice. It's usually kind of terrible, over produced, selling itself on graphics-not-gameplay, mainstream bullshit that I hate with every new incarnation of Assassin's Creed or Tom Clancy's whatever the gently caress.

This series hasn't even really been beaten like a dead horse either, the only thing I could really complain about is that maybe FC4 came a year too early from FC3 and other than graphics felt more like additional content than a full new game. However, despite my memory playing tricks on me and telling me that I played 3 way more than 4, my steam data says I put almost two hundred hours into 4 and not even a hundred into 3.

Anyway, these games are great. 2 would have been fantastic if it didn't have malaria and guards that stayed dead for a reasonable amount of time.

I'm not sold on the setting. It seems a bit generic and even a little too close to the previous one, but I thought the previous one was kind of boring too and it worked so I guess we'll see. I was a bit turned off by the video I watched of a guy using a plane to blow up some silos or something, that felt too GTA; and the vehicle sections of these games are typically the worse parts of the game; I'd even take the dream sequences over them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Buller posted:

Skyrim was a bit like this, just not letting the dragons ever leave you alone and every mission being clear out this other cave.

Latter was definitely true, though I think I'd compare my experiences with the former to be the same as FC3/4.

I think everyone probably a had time when they were scoping out an outpost when suddenly a tiger mauled them to death, or as they were making a break from a firefight they ran into a group of soldiers in a truck.

What I'm taking away from that video is that at launch, if you want to play a bit stealthy it will be best to not take a companion.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I was a little worried so I checked out an outpost stealth takedown+bow video on YouTube and it looked pretty much like every other Far Cry game so I'm satisfied that I'll be getting what I expect and what has been cut isn't changing the fundamentals of the game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I feel like they always take the crafting too far in the world direction in these games. Crafting should be for stuff that you use often and need to replenish, like the medicine boosters in the previous games, or certain ammo types like arrows. I agree that locking all the holsters and carry limit stuff behind crafting was pretty needless.

I'll hold judgement on if I dislike the change until after I play it but I'm probably the only person that liked all the looting/skinning/climbing animations. They really got me into it, and I liked that taking the time to loot a body wasn't just a quick click but actually could get you into trouble if the area wasn't secure.

Even Breath of the Wild's crafting wasn't perfect. Farming stuff for the faeries was a chore at higher gear level and cooking should have been done from a menu where you could repeat recipes quicker. Was really nice and tight in the early game though, but late game, as typical with crafting in games, became bloated and felt like a way of padding content. Far Cry never really fell into that trap though as you probably unlocked pretty much all the crafting upgrades 1/2-2/3s of the way through the game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Cultural Marxist posted:

What odds can I get that at least one American review will bemoan the fact that, unlike previous far cry games, this one isn’t set in an “exotic” location, conveniently forgetting that the majority of gamers aren’t American?

Even within the context of America, this isn't a particularly exotic locale though. I mean there are better, more interesting place they could have shown off, like the Mojave in New Vegas.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 26, 2018

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Only thing I'm really loving in this game is the music. The country-timey banjo/violin/hymns the cultists have is great.

The companion system would be fun if the AI wasn't spastic, awful and it was easier to issue commands. I'd rather have a single companion with some default commands bound to a radial dial like "defend me", "keep your distance", etc.

The perk system is a bit flawed in that there's a very clear distinction between poo poo you need to get like the grappling hook or wingsuit, and poo poo that is just nice to have; like extra ammo capacity. The way the flow of the game plays, you don't really need certain skills until you're a bit into the game but not having them early on hinders exploration and unnecessarily gates stuff when you want to be spending those perks on things like holding more guns. It's not terrible but it could use a little smoothing out as it's very heavily weighted towards only being interesting in the first 1/3rd of the game when you don't have a ton of points to spend. I just beat my first sibling and realized I had 32 unspent points because after getting a bunch of the perks that interested me; none of the other ones feel important. Money also falls into this category; gating so many weapons behind resistance rank is dumb because I really just want to play around with some of the other guns at this point and I have more money than I can spend from hitting the prepper stashes. I guess I'm supposed to be spending my cash on weapon skins but I could seriously care less about those.

Plot wise, well it's Far Cry and I've never particularly cared about the plot in any of these games. Actually Far Cry 1 was probably the most engaging plot the series has had for me. Getting kidnapped and having to listen to villain monologues followed by corridor shooting is something the series needs to get away from; yeah it's different and breaks up the monotony but it's always terrible. Far Cry is never at it's strongest when you're in tight hallways with nowhere to hide and enemies spawning from all directions.

The liberation system is pretty good too actually. It's nice that the little random events they introduced in FC4 now mean a lot more and actually give you rewards. I do also like that all the NPCs ramble on before they tell you about whatever it is they want to tell you about, and how they have custom dialogue for when you skip it.

Feels like there aren't as many weapon choices total as FC4 and the weapon choices feel...not very meaningful. Like there's only 2 pistols you can use a silencer on but the default one does more damage and it's unlocked from the start so I'm not really inclined to spend money on the second. There's still quite a few weapons gated behind resistance levels for me but other than the auto shotguns I'm pretty happy with my setup and don't see any other weapons that I'm looking forward to using.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Finished the game off. Saving Jacob's area for last was probably best since there wasn't a whole lot to do there but I was getting a little bored by that point anyway.

Outposts would have been a lot more fun if there weren't constant plane flying by that seem to spot you no matter where you try and hide, never seem to go away unless you shoot them down, and can't be taken down without alerting the whole outpost. This only really would have bothered me more if you really needed that money from doing it total stealth but since there isn't a whole lot to spend your cash on, once you've hit like 5 prepper stashes you're probably going to be pretty set for a while.

The story was, not very good and I hope the next game moves away from tripped out dream sequences. I can accept the lovely platforming because sometimes it's kind of enjoyable and the corridor shooting is kept short enough that it doesn't really get on my nerves unless they do stupid poo poo like put you in places with infinitely respawning guys. The next game should probably avoid scenarios where you get kidnapped as well. At first when the game told me I was being hunted I was like "ok cool, there's probably a bunch of strong enemies coming at me, I better hold up somewhere and keep an exit strategy available..." but nope just a dumb kidnapping sequence.

I'd also like to see them pull a 180 on their current villain motif and have the villain never show up until the last act and his only words to the player are "Who the gently caress are you?" Anything but more villain monologues. They got lucky with FC3 and shouldn't try and repeat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Gobblecoque posted:

The companion system seems pretty "eh." They have a habit of repeating lines over and over again and also sometimes cutting out mid-sentence so all the human ones went in the trash as soon as I finished their missions. The animals are pretty cool but the fact they don't get in any vehicles at all is crazy missed opportunity. As is the case with most open-world games, companions get old pretty quick. IIRC previous titles in the series had health and health recovery work so that it was very uncommon to instantly die from an unlucky grenade or crazy driver or whatever but here it seems to happen a lot more because I guess they expect you to have a companion with you to revive you so the system ends up being net loss for the gameplay.

During the mission to recruit Hurk and get his truck back, I took his mom along as my companion. During the drive to the lookout tower, the pathing was bad and we got stuck a couple times. So I heard their banter dialogue 3 times back to back.

Also regarding the animations I like that they have them for looting a body, so it means it's something that you *shouldn't* be doing in combat but the revive one; which the final battle asks you to do again and again while in combat, should have been sped up. I also loving detest that the pick up weapon button is the interact button. "No, game! I didn't want to drop my modded heavy machine gun to pick up your garbage assault rifle. I was trying to flip this switch." I get why that is for the sake of the game being arcade-y but you could have just made it the default action for the switch weapon button.