Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I think I'm ready to pre-order this. Seems like Greenmangaming is the cheapest at 15% off $50.99 if anyone else wants to do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noirex
May 30, 2006

DebonaireD posted:

The gameplay videos make it look like just more far cry, which is too bad considering the trailers were pretty exciting looking. I couldn't get more than 10 hours into far cry 4 because the constant calls for attention, interruptions, old bases getting reconquered, and obnoxious characters made the game a slog. Also the climbing! Verticality seems like a good idea but all it amounted to was staring at a rock wall and playing out canned climbing animations. Given the pc gamer video someone posted earlier, this game seems like it could be a likely contender for 2018's most obnoxious companion.

If you're looking for something fresh and innovative, you're probably not gonna find it here. I personally enjoy the FarCry formula though plus they always have fun, memorable villains like Pagin Min so I'm really excited for this.

Anyway I thought Amazon would have the usual 20% off for pre-orders but I guess not even though I'm Prime? I'll love to check out the Uplay 20% coupon but it seems like the store is down now.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

People posting ending spoilers, did you all start playing a few days ago with a physical copy and it's that short or did you watch it on Youtube?

Noirex
May 30, 2006

NewMars posted:

I ended up having the ending spoiled for me by a jackass, actually.

Yikes, that sucks. I'm staying far away from Youtube for this reason. I heard there's already ending spoiler thumbnails from LPers. At least the game doesn't seem that ridiculously short I guess.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I'm only about a few hours in but the villains seem a lot less interesting as Vaas or Pagan Min whom I loved. Those voice actors brought so much personality to their characters and the whole crazy cult family members deal seems pretty dull and by the book so far unless it gets really nuts later. Also, why are the long rear end cut scenes not skip able?

Boomer is still the best boy though. And I never knew turkeys could get that big.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Everyone's raving about bears and shotguns and fires but I've just been fishing for the past hour. Fishing is fun.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Never thought anything would top Dub Step pot-burning mission in FC 3 for sheer absurdness, but boy did Tasty Festy prove me wrong.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Morter posted:

That's Testy Festy to you.

How did I gently caress up the most important word.

And yes it's a blast but they really need to tone down the spawning. I just want to get to the other side of the loving road, not fight 3 explosives trucks plus a bear.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

This is much needed. I fought one while we were both on fire and I died.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

What is it with FC devs picking the most rear end in a top hat of animals to torment us with? First it was those loving cassowaries, then eagles, then Honey Badgers and now these farmland hell birds. I got attacked and murdered by one again after barely surviving a 3 truck pile up.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I'm not expecting some magnificent opus from FC, but isn't the head writer some well known guy? Why is the story and characters all so disappointingly dull?

Edit: Ok it's Drew Holmes who also wrote Red Faction, Saints Row and BioShock Infinite. Kind of explains it I guess.

Noirex fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 29, 2018

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I can barely tell the difference between 3 white bearded Jared Letos of differing ages. I wish they had done something more interesting with their appearances and personalities. No idea about Faith yet since I haven't met her, but her songs sounds pretty I guess?

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I thought the Faith sections were exaggerated but nope, they’re really that mind numbingly terrible. She wouldn’t leave me alone too. I was trying to fish and her image would not shut up behind me. It’s sad when you’re desperately trying to ignore the villain because battling salmon is far more exciting.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I’m so curious at how possibly bad the ending can be. Everyone agrees it’s bad. I think even Mass Effect 3 had it’s defenders. Is it ME3 type of terrible?

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

There are a lot of things that go into it, it’s really a perfect storm of bad decisions.

The two main things are:
(1) In changing the format of the game loop to “keep things fresh”, they got rid of sequential plot-advancing story missions. They seem to have gravely underestimated how dependent their stories were on that mission structure, and how incoherent and ludicrous and jarring it would be for the entirety of their story to be told in a way that doesn’t depend on your character being in specific places at specific times, doing specific things.

Not only does that mean you’re routinely abducted out of the game while flying helicopters or skydiving through the lower atmosphere for a lecture (which is never interesting), you’re then dropped back into the game to cause further havoc despite being so pliable and vulnerable that the villains can evidently make you helpless at any time.

It’s spectacularly ironic, considering the dude to coin “ludonarrative dissonance” as a popular concept in gaming (when he called out Ken Levine and Bioshock) came out of Far Cry 2.

(2) They evidently spent 0 time sussing our what the Seeds want and what they’re doing, so the villains spout a lot of vaguely Christian word salad and doing insane things without being recognizable as anything close to real, despite there being rich histories of both dangerous cults and insane apocalyptic fringe Christian movements. Then you have the guy who doesn’t touch religion and spouts social Darwinist boilerplate instead, but the game never actually calls him a fascist.

Ubisoft wants us to know he’s a fascist, they want us to know the Seeds are dangerous fundamentalists, but they can’t be named as such, presumably because they’d get bad press. They wanted all the urgency and charge of politics without being political and they ended up with a lot of wet cardboard.

I can't read or quote any end spoilers yet since I'm not nearly done but this sounds genuinely terrible. As dumb as the Far Cry games have been, I did enjoy 3 and 4's settings and villains. It would be upsetting if they really managed to tank the entire franchise like Rookersh said. I remember reading this article with Drew Holmes and being a bit iffy with how big and separated the writing team seemed to be but I didn't think it would be this disastrous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Horatio is a loving beast especially when maxed out: He regularly solos gold elites for me at rank 3 outposts. He also rolls around in flowers and naps during downtime; what more can you ask for.