Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Brug the Forgery imp adjusted its harlequin mask while pondering what to do. Hey, what if the rent was lower?

Falsify the shoemaker's past receipts: 1d10+3 8

There, now it'll look like Rodrick pays less, at least on his end.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Brug popped back into the world ready to edit the rest of the receipts but stopped to look at Slick's fake insurance papers. Wait a minute... yes! Any "extra money" Rodrick paid in the past could be explained as him paying into the landlord's insurance premium in order to compensate for any goods, tools or time lost should something happen to the building. Brug got to work faking a note from the landlord.

quote:

To Rodrick,

As part of your lease agreement I would like to make sure your business is covered under the building's insurance. Wouldn't want to lose an honest, hard working tenant like yourself. Ho ho!

Just send an extra <(20-<whatever we drop the new rent payment down to>) * however many times Rodrick's paid rent until now> and I'll gladly add you as a benificiary on my insurance, just send a little bit extra every month until it's paid off. Don't worry if something happens to your shop before then, we'll still be cool."

There, now all Brug needed to do was find the landlord and make sure everything looked like it was on the up and up. The magic on the note would adapt the numbers to whatever the new rent ended up being.

Fake a note: 1d10+3 13

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Gottfried should maybe invest in some non-magic robes until he gets more skill in strengthening himself if he wants to keep up a workforce of imps.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

13 action:
Brug had decided it was time to help improve the imps to help Rodrick better. Resisting the temptation of manifesting a token reward was an odd sensation for a creature that thrived on temptation, but there was a bigger score to be had. Sneaking into the unconscious Gottfried's room, Brug grabbed the sorcerer's spellbook and tore out the pages on imps. Writing as fast and quietly as it could, Brug replaced those pages with spells for strengthening imps and lists of items that'd empower the little devils, mislabeling them as punishments for naughty ones who overstepped the unspoken rules and enjoyable but harmless rewards for ones who worked hard doing their job.

Replace Gottfried's spells with clever forgeries: 1d10+3 8

Gottfried looked dumb and lazy enough that he wouldn't notice even a half-assed fake, but Brug was a professional. It was easy enough for them to mimic the dry tone of the original. Once Gottfried escaped he was in for a big surprise.

...Ah, so that was where the landlord lived. Thanks guys. The big problem was Rodrick couldn't pay the rent if he was arrested for insurance fraud. All Brug needed to do was replace the landlord's records with ones that matched the forgeries in Rodrick's house in order to help cover up their impvolvement. First rule of surviving magical audits: "If a discrepancy's implied, they can tell an imp lied."

Make sure the landlord's documents match Rodrick's: 1d10+3 11

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Brug was running out of things to do, its options were significantly curTAILed by the poor summoning job.

Guess it was time to actually help Rodrick. He'd have no trouble paying rent now, but what if something happened in the next few days? What if customers got bored with his shoes and wanted refunds? Perhaps it was time to teach Rodrick a thing or two about forgery. No, wait, Rodrick was already suspicious about the goings on, he might order his brother to stop the magic if he found himself tampered with.

Oh wait, of course. The apprentice. No one would think it odd if she suddenly got better at making shoes and Rodrick would gain renown as a skilled teacher. Brug cast its magic on Lotti, giving her the power to imitate any design she ever saw. Bootlegus. Imitatus. Knockoffus. Duplicatus!

Give Lotti an innate talent for reproducing others' designs: 1d10+3 10

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Brug was worried, it sensed that someone at the school had detected their demonic activity. If the Dean banished them before the rent was paid, they'd be unable to make sure Rodrick didn't spend all his earnings before the rent came due. Time for some damage control.

Brug was frequently summoned by kids who were looking to get out of school and had stolen their aunts' and uncles' spellbooks looking for a way to fake a doctor's note. One of those would take some of the heat off. Time to break out The Worst Handwriting.

quote:

Patient: Gottfried

Diagnosis: Fatigue and weakness from overuse of magic, constant mana burning.

Px: Several days of bed rest and care until recovered. Regenerative medicines: <unintelligible list of things>

-Dr Dick

Forged doctor's note: 1d10+5 10

Nailed it. Technically all true, so it'd be harder to detect; Brug was known by many names that just happened to be spelled the same as official titles. Now Jade had proof she was summoned to tend to Gottfried for legitimate reasons and if any imps wanted to use it to procure controlled substances they could.

Brug wandered over to Gottfried. "Hey, I helped cover your rear end, but you might want to use your magic to cover hers," Brug said, gesturing at Jade, "unless you want to explain to the Dean why your nurse is naked."

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

e: everything's fine now

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 25, 2018

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Brug looked at the sloppy handiwork on Snikt's fake evidence. No, this would never do, but it was a good start. Sure, it was a good idea to convince the flatfoot someone was trying to set him up, but it'd be far better if he looked so guilty the guards would be after him. Time to improve the forgery.

ZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!

Now it perfectly fit the PI's grip, was engraved with the PI's own handwriting, would fool even the smartest guard and it had the mark of a notorious criminal who dealt in hellmade goods the PI often used as an underworld informant. One last trick, it also faintly smelled like the cigars used by the town's biggest crime lord.

This would set the PI on the crime lord's trail and set the guards on the PI's if they found it. No doubt some of his famous cases that involved hellmarked gold would be called into question by the time this was over.

Upgrade the forged evidence: 1d10+5 9

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Brug finally noticed the batlike wings had come in, but it didn't have any other ideas for things to do. Guess it was time to go back to the shoe store and actually do the job Gottfried intended. Now, how to make a forgery of a shoe?

Of course! Change the shoes so they look like designer fashions from distant countries. Rodrick could pass them off as brilliant new designs and get rich selling them! No one would ever know they were clever forgeries.

Upgrade shoe quality: bootleg boots!: 1d3+5 6

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

This was bad. Rodrick can't pay rent if he's kidnapped. There was only one thing for Brug to do.

"Dear Landlord,
This neighborhood has gotten too unsafe for me to live in; people have even tried to set my shop on fire. I am moving out. Since I already paid my last month's rent up front when I moved in, consider it paid in full.
-Rodrick

P.S. If I'm all moved out before the first of the month, please refund one month's rent."

Move 'em out!: 1d10+6 13

Brug summoned up an infernal quill and parchment to write the letter.

There, now Rodrick was perfectly capable of paying his zero rent, possibly less if they could get him moved out before the end of the week, but there was the slight problem, what if the Dean caught Brug before it could deliver message to the landlord? Brug quickly flew back to the P.I.'s office and wrote another quick letter in the Joe's handwriting.

"Help, police! Have uncovered a massive conspiracy. The Dean of the magic school is working for notorious crime lord Big Larry to destabilize the city, using weird magic to cause disasters and form unrest. His contact in the mob is a local jeweler named Erika and both must be apprehended as soon as possible.

Don't try to find me, I'm hiding out until they're caught, hired some kid to deliver this message. My notes are in my office and they're mostly up-to-date and I'll come back and testify as soon as their chaos is stopped.

-Joe Melvin"

Brug tied the note to a paperweight and threw it out the window at a passing constable.

Note for the police: 1d3+6 9

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 4, 2018

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Brug had been thinking about how to benefit from Gottfried's undead state, but now everything was set up perfectly. Sneaking through the time portal behind Flux, Brug decided to hide out in the past for a few years. Being unsummoned at the end of the night wasn't an issue when the end of that night wasn't going to happen for a long time.

After Brug had nearly caught up with the present, Brug waited for Ted to be summoned. Brug got out its quill and then bent and shaped it until it looked like an exact duplicate of Ted's own pen, then when Ted wasn't looking, Brug swapped Ted's pen with its own.

The old switcheroo: 1d10+6 7

The disguise wasn't Brug's best effort at forgery but Brug was so powerful now that it didn't matter. Things went off the way they had at the start of the time loop and none would be the wiser. Brug summoned the pen once more and it reverted back to its true shape. Gottfried's soul was bound to Brug now, a tidy profit for a hard week's labor (and years of vacation time).

"Now listen up," Brug said to Gottfried's skull, "If you wanted to help your brother make rent, there are a lot of things you could have done on your own instead of passing the buck to someone else by meddling with forces you didn't understand. You've got one chance to make it right, use what little power you have to help us finish helping Rodrick or I'm scrubbing your soul out of this quill with hellfire after I'm banished. Got that?"

Last of all, there was the matter of the time cop. Brug hadn't been completely idle all those years, it had forged an edict from the king that forbade the elves from entering the kingdom, the very reason Gottfried had resorted to summoning imps in the first place.

"By royal decree: elves are banned!": 1d3+6 7

Now if night eight was undone, this new paradox in the time loop would go off and the time cop would be in even more trouble than if he did nothing.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 9, 2018

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Brug looked at Torky's robot body for Gottfried and the fake Rodrick and thought it could help do it even better.

"Hey Torky, want some help disguising your robots as people? We can replace people with robot doubles and no one will ever know until it's too late. They'll look, sound and even smell like the originals. A whole world of robots. Shall we go into business together?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I liked the game so much I grabbed my imp as an avatar, with some effects from the cyberpunk avatar thread in GBS.

• Locked thread