Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Woah woah woah! whats this? Did Flux the Four-Dimensional Imp of Time hear someone set a deadline?! In my plane?!

Push the deadline back one day!: 1d10+3 8

I think so buddy! I really think so! Well done. I'm going to have been keeping my eye on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Flux had noted with some dismay that this plane was reluctant to play along, having anchored the concepts of time and space together in the most mundane and boring way possible. Well, fine! If he had to play by the rules, he would play by the rules hard.

It was said in realms like these that the faster you went, the slower time would be, so naturally the best way to go about things would be to slow down time considerably for the Shoemaker. It made perfect sense!

Time dialation to give the Shoemaker Bullet Shoe Time: 1d10+3 10

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Oh no! There was so much to fix, and so little time to do it in! Worst of all, Gottfried was dying, having been assaulted by far too many imps at once. If he perished before their contract was up, their days were surely numbered!

Flux thought long and hard. Mortals always died, it was true, there was no stopping that. It was the when that was malleable. What if... what if Flux took Gottfrieds death-day, and just moved it around a little?

Time to move Gottfrieds inevitable death to after the contract is up: 1d10+3 = 6

Sure, he might accidentally replace the sorcerers brain with the sorcerers future brain, or even his past brain, or even keep it in a state of stasis forever, but something like that would only happen if something disturbed his concentra hey what is that over there?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Flux was at a loss! Nothing seemed to be going his way and time kept trucking on despite his best efforts. The other imps had already sorted the money and shoe issues, so why did he feel so.. unaccomplished?

He considered the geas; "My brother’s rent is due by the end of the week, make sure he doesn’t have any problems paying it."

Ah, it was because he wasn't fulfilling his purpose! Any old fool could have the money required to pay rent, but only a very specific kind of fool could fail to do so even if they did! That must be why Gottfried had summoned him. His brother, the shoemaker, must be a very special kind of idiot indeed!

But how could Flux make sure that the Shoemaker would have no problem paying rent, when such an easy task was so overwhelmingly out of reach for the man, as for his brother to reach beyond the mortal plane for assistance?

Well... if you want to teach an old dog new tricks.. start when they are young. And then keep doing that. Every day of its life. Until the end of time.

Flux smiled, and got to work.

Timetravel to teach the Shoemaker how to pay rent forever: 1d10+3 = 7

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Wait wait wait, the imps were empowering the apprentice now? Well that wasn't strictly what they were summoned here for, but Flux reasoned it wasn't explicitly against their orders either... and her being better at everything couldn't hurt, why, it may even help him in the long run!

Now lets see, Molly was trying to cut some deal to reduce her need to sleep, so all Flux needed to do was make sure what little sleep she DID still require would over in the blink of an eye. So she could focus on learning and becoming better.

Time to make Lotti's sleep hyperefficient: 1d10+5 = 9

I mean, who needs sleep anyway? Certainly not imps, so why should mortals care for it?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Oh me, oh my! The building was sure to go up in flames at any moment, and if it all burned down paying rent was going to be technically impossible since there wouldn't be any property to rent... but on the other hand, as long as the building was still standing it didn't matter one whit what stage it was in.

Only.. maybe it did. Flux wasn't entirely sure how insurance worked in the mortal world, or how actions ever had consequences for that matter, but he was pretty sure fireinsurance went something like "if the building is on fire, pay us lots of money".

Well, they DID need that money for reasons, so all he had to do was make sure the fire never went out, and that the building never burnt down.

Yes. It all made perfect sense.

Timefreeze the building so it doesn't burn down even though it's on fire: 1d10+5 = 10
Timefreeze the fire so it keeps burning forever: 1d3+5 = 7

--

I'd like some fangs please!
And A: Give the grimorie to Lotti!

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Oh no! Angels were on the case, and if that wasn't enough the Dean was coming to banish them all! If they were banished, there would be A Lot Of Problems with paying rent, and Flux just couldn't let that happen!
Oh Woe, what was he to do? Seeing as he was powerless against the time-displaced angels, he resolved to instead focus his energies on the Dean.

But what was more powerful then a Dean of a magical university? Why, a magical Superintendent of course! But even if his inspection schedual could be moved in time to coincide with today... he would eventually leave! Leave and give the dean enough time to cast the dreaded dismissal!

This would not do! Flux flapped his little wings and got to work..

Time to move the Superintendants Schedual to Today: 1d3+6 = 7
Time to trap the Dean and the Superintendant in a timeloop: 1d10+6 =13

Yess.. yess!! Lets do the time warp again!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Flux was elated, everything had gone according to Keikaku, even the snooping time-cop seemed to be handled, and now his fellow imps were reaping their just rewards.

There was just one thing left to do. Complete the contract. He considered the words one last time.

Gottfried posted:

My brother’s rent is due by the end of the week, make sure he doesn’t have any problems paying it.

And then he remembered.

--

Many years ago, the Landlord was looking through the classified section of the town newspaper under the 'goon for hire' section. One of them stuck out amongst the rest, a former lawyer turned professional 'collector', notorious in his circles for always delivering the goods on time. One Fillipe Lux. The Landlord smiled, he'd make a perfect rent-gatherer. In time, maybe he'd even make partner.

Timetravel to become the person who hs no trouble collecting the rent: 1d10+6 = 16

With a smile, Fillip Lux knocked on whatever door Roderick was hiding behind.

"Rents due, Mr. Schumacher."

With practiced elegance and a strangely ethereal fountain pen*, he collected that which was due and returned to his master.

--

*Timetravel to take the Phylactic Fountain Pen Through Time: 1d3+6 = 7

• Locked thread