Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

That was a conscious decision, because they felt there was already way more than enough zombie stuff on TV as is.

I'm ok with the vomit zombies being left out, but there was much more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh hey, he was one part of that annoying Brazilian couple that everyone hated on Lost.

The episode everybody skipped!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Since the regular thread has gone weird stream of consciousness, anyone here want to talk more about this?

http://ew.com/tv/2018/07/11/the-expanse-season-4-concept-art/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Concept art for Illus. Honestly now that they're talking about figuring out where to shoot Illus I really can't imagine a proper alien world being done justice on a TV internet show budget. I trust them to not be satisfied with just a quarry... but still. How are they even gonna do it? I'm looking forward to it in any case.

It's like how all the scenes inside the Behemoth's drum happened to be in pits where they could shoot however they wanted without showing the rest of the drum. I feel like they're going to have to do it right, but if it's expensive to do right they'll just not show us much of it...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Eiba posted:

Since the regular thread has gone weird stream of consciousness, anyone here want to talk more about this?

http://ew.com/tv/2018/07/11/the-expanse-season-4-concept-art/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Concept art for Illus. Honestly now that they're talking about figuring out where to shoot Illus I really can't imagine a proper alien world being done justice on a TV internet show budget. I trust them to not be satisfied with just a quarry... but still. How are they even gonna do it? I'm looking forward to it in any case.

It's like how all the scenes inside the Behemoth's drum happened to be in pits where they could shoot however they wanted without showing the rest of the drum. I feel like they're going to have to do it right, but if it's expensive to do right they'll just not show us much of it...

I wouldn't expect the show's budget to change meaningfully. They can be freer with the runtime and it's dongues-out for S4, but other than that I wouldn't expect them to go creating Pandora or something.

I'm guessing Southwest US, Australia, or North Africa depending on which is cheapest. Somewhere flat with not much geography.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Once the storm hits, everyone's stuck in caves/ruins anyway, so they may not have to spend too many episodes filming somewhere difficult/expensive, especially since it doesn't sound like they're going to spend a whole season on Cibola Burn.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm guessing Southwest US, Australia, or North Africa depending on which is cheapest. Somewhere flat with not much geography.

Australia is the best fit of those choices.

South America would be better, though.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

I wouldn't expect the show's budget to change meaningfully. They can be freer with the runtime and it's dongues-out for S4, but other than that I wouldn't expect them to go creating Pandora or something.

Might be some South Africa options and apparently they have some really good tax credits for filming there. I think all of Blood Drive was filmed there and they had some flat places if I vaguely recall right.

And let's be honest as long as it's not some woods in Canada, we'll be ahead of the game.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

Once the storm hits, everyone's stuck in caves/ruins anyway, so they may not have to spend too many episodes filming somewhere difficult/expensive, especially since it doesn't sound like they're going to spend a whole season on Cibola Burn.

Yeah, my guess is they're gonna fly through Cibola Burn pretty quick. I still hope we get weird-tunnel-machine-Miller talking nonchalantly with Elvi.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

No, I feel like I have to bring the question of what happens to a naked dong under zero-g into this thread too.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

It just occurred to me when someone made a comment about buttplugs in the other thread, Ashford said they were leaving a ticking time bomb for future generations by allowing the gate to remain open and Sol to be exposed to the station that can destroy stars.

Isn't that true? The books never mention it, but if someone messes with the gate, mightn't the thing at the middle of the Slow Zone decide to just... destroy humanity? Miller calmed it down a bit, but it does seem like a kind of non-trivial risk everyone just kind of forgets about in the books. Alien tech is terrifyingly powerful and indifferent, and that's kind of a thematic point at times, but people just kind of shrug and get on with things when the hub station is quiet for a bit.

Don't they strap railguns to the hub and eventually fight on it? I forget why we're so sure it's going to be passive forever.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My understanding was Miller turned the security systems off entirely. But it's not as if anybody really understands the tech.

Also the Laconians loving with it probably isn't a great idea.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The potential benefits outweigh the slim possibility of annihilation. Also I would think that the solar system was starting to feel a little crowded and like a place where no safety could be found. The appeal of 1300 habitable worlds of semi-self-governance and a fresh start is huge.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I also don't know what the alternative is. The ring is there and the protomolecule alien structures survive for literally billions of years so they ain't flimsy. I don't think humans have anything that could actually destroy the gate, and if there's anything that would wake the station up and have it blow up Sol it'd be attacking the gate and failing.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I feel like the consequences of the Laconians loving with PM tech is going to be the main focus of the next book for sure.

I also think it's pretty thematically appropriate for Humanity at large to more or less just ignore the potential threat of the Ring Hub because it hasn't hosed with them since the slow zone incident. Like climate change or the condition of the Belters, it's a problem that we'll only react to after it's completely hosed us over.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The Rings and The Station are responding to the Laconians, it's just they are too full of themselves to pick up on the danger. The Ring lets loose a burst of gamma radiation when they use their weapon near it, and The Station totally starts changing colors and doing weird poo poo when they fire their weapon AT it (the sheer insanity of firing an alien weapon at the station always surprised me).

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing
Given the pace the show had (especially season 1), what are the odds they mix in the Duerte and Free Navy story line with the events of CB?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

48 Hour Boner posted:

Given the pace the show had (especially season 1), what are the odds they mix in the Duerte and Free Navy story line with the events of CB?
I'm pretty sure I read something about them adapting Bobbie's time on Mars into next season, and giving Avasarala something to do. It won't be all Illus all the time like the books.

And I mean, what would Bobbie and Avasarala actually be doing if not uncovering these kinds of things?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

48 Hour Boner posted:

Didn't they already drop hints in season 1 about the missing stealth paint used on the asteroids? I fully expect them to start weaving those elements into the story earlier, given how substantial they are in the overall plot.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The Rings and The Station are responding to the Laconians, it's just they are too full of themselves to pick up on the danger. The Ring lets loose a burst of gamma radiation when they use their weapon near it, and The Station totally starts changing colors and doing weird poo poo when they fire their weapon AT it (the sheer insanity of firing an alien weapon at the station always surprised me).

I might be completely misremembering, but I thought the color change happened in Babylon's Ashes during the anti-Marco coalition's attack on the Behemoth and the railguns placed on the ring hub.

Edit: oh, the Laconian fleet probably fired on those railguns on their way in. Is that how it went? And the gamma radiation was the alien hardware having to dump waste energy somewhere, wasn't it? Like the color change but way more intense.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Toast Museum posted:

I might be completely misremembering, but I thought the color change happened in Babylon's Ashes during the anti-Marco coalition's attack on the Behemoth and the railguns placed on the ring hub.

It happens both times. It only changes that once in BA before cooling down.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

404notfound posted:

Didn't they already drop hints in season 1 about the missing stealth paint used on the asteroids? I fully expect them to start weaving those elements into the story earlier, given how substantial they are in the overall plot.

I'm pretty sure the missing stealth composites in season 1 were things being stolen for the Protogen fleet and not the Belt. The smuggler being a belter was an OPA red herring for the UN.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Eiba posted:

I'm pretty sure I read something about them adapting Bobbie's time on Mars into next season, and giving Avasarala something to do. It won't be all Illus all the time like the books.

And I mean, what would Bobbie and Avasarala actually be doing if not uncovering these kinds of things?

Well in the books, doesn't Bobbie direct Alex towards Duarte as someone who might be able to track down the missing equipment? I'll bet they introduce Duarte as a character next season. Bobbie and Avasarala will be working with him finding the missing ships before his sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

ATP_Power posted:

I feel like the consequences of the Laconians loving with PM tech is going to be the main focus of the next book for sure.
Yeah, "Tiamat's Wrath" doesn't really bode well. :ohdear:

I've been watching Breaking Bad for the first time, and whoever suggested Giancarlo Esposito for Duarte, I totally want that now.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

ATP_Power posted:

I'm pretty sure the missing stealth composites in season 1 were things being stolen for the Protogen fleet and not the Belt. The smuggler being a belter was an OPA red herring for the UN.

Ah hell, you're probably right as that would make a lot more sense in the context of season 1. I haven't gone back to watch any old episodes, so my memories of season 1 are a bit hazy. I do distinctly remember them teasing the idea of dropping rocks on Earth though. That should be a fun one to finally see come to life in the show :black101:

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Season one teases both the rockfall and Filip in like the first 3 episodes.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

404notfound posted:

ATP_Power posted:

Pretty sure they are doing the same thing as the books: we are supposed to think the stealth tech was for the ProtoGen ships, but that's the red herring. The guy Avasarala is using gravity torture on in the first ep is one of Marco's cell, prepping the rocks.

I guess you can interpret it either way, but I'm pretty sure they are playing the long-game with that.

ATP_Power posted:

Season one teases both the rockfall and Filip in like the first 3 episodes.

This is the thing the show is best at: taking the later character developments and rolling them into earlier plots in order to flesh- and round-out the cast!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Pretty sure they are doing the same thing as the books: we are supposed to think the stealth tech was for the ProtoGen ships, but that's the red herring. The guy Avasarala is using gravity torture on in the first ep is one of Marco's cell, prepping the rocks.

I guess you can interpret it either way, but I'm pretty sure they are playing the long-game with that.

Does the timeline work out? It's been several years since the first episode, and I didn't think Marco seized power until after the events on Eros (or possibly even the Gate). I'm pretty sure it's too far in the future for that Belter to have been part of Marco's cell.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Thank God we have this thread and not just the regular one.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Phenotype posted:

Does the timeline work out? It's been several years since the first episode, and I didn't think Marco seized power until after the events on Eros (or possibly even the Gate). I'm pretty sure it's too far in the future for that Belter to have been part of Marco's cell.

Marco was always planning to do what he did, he just lacked the means until he got handed a group of Martian ships, and the location of the stealth polymer. A lot of the planning for his little cell was actually him, but the Free Navy thing was an improvisation after he got the tech to pull it off.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Without Duarte, the Free Navy and rockfall doesn't happen and Marco continues to be a bit player in the OPA.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Yeah, Duarte gave them the cache location which let Filip's group steal the big load, but they had been trying to smuggle and collect it for years before that. Duarte just came along and gave them the resources to create a large enough distraction to...you know.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Just started Persepolis Rising and the prologue just starts with crazy PM tech, yesssssss give it all to me :getin:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Yeah, "Tiamat's Wrath" doesn't really bode well. :ohdear:

I've been watching Breaking Bad for the first time, and whoever suggested Giancarlo Esposito for Duarte, I totally want that now.

Oh gently caress that would be imposing as hell. I don't expect that since I pictured him as much younger, but hell I'd certainly take it. He can do anything role wise, but I'm sure he's particularly good at "charismatic but immoral leader."

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Johnny Truant posted:

Just started Persepolis Rising and the prologue just starts with crazy PM tech, yesssssss give it all to me :getin:
Guess I need to continue to read. Last book I've read was the one where they drop the asteroids. Not enough protomolecule to keep me reading so far.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

If either of you haven't read Strange Dogs, that's a good one with some weird PM poo poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I wonder if they will bring Athena Karkanis back for the 'Havelock role' in the next series seeing as that actor is most likely going to be unavailable. Or just recast or create a new character?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

PriorMarcus posted:

I wonder if they will bring Athena Karkanis back for the 'Havelock role' in the next series seeing as that actor is most likely going to be unavailable. Or just recast or create a new character?

Surely they had the foresight to put multiple seasons in his contract?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Surely they had the foresight to put multiple seasons in his contract?

He's playing the lead in the new Magnum PI show so apparently not.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

He's playing the lead in the new Magnum PI show so apparently not.

They gender swapped Magnum PI?

As cool as that would be, Athena Karkanis was Muss who doesn't ever really reappear?
Jay Hernandez was Havelock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

drewhead posted:

They gender swapped Magnum PI?

As cool as that would be, Athena Karkanis was Muss who doesn't ever really reappear?
Jay Hernandez was Havelock
I was confused by the initial post as well, but apparently he was saying Havelok's actor is going to be in something else, so perhaps they'll bring back Octavia Muss instead. Only he referred to Muss by her actor's name and Havelock by his character's name while talking about Havelock's actor.

I'd be down for more Octavia Muss. Havelock in the show didn't really leave any impact on me at all, and they already left out the part where he worked for Protogen after Star Helix.

• Locked thread