Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I figure that we might get some of the earth related plot while the events of 4 are taking place, we get stuff back in system from the other characters getting the ball rolling on the book 5 plot. Similar to how we got earthside plot in the first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Seeing Bobbie going back to Mars and getting sucked into the missing ships intrigue while Holden and crew are past the rings seems like one way to help make the book 4 plot not seem as much of a detour from the core narrative. Cortezar could also be used too depending on when the show wants to introduce Durerte, same goes for Fred Johnson and Dawes in the belt dealing with OPA politics and more gently introducing Marco and Filip to the story.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Given how important it was, I felt like the Martian mass mutiny was rather undersold in the books before poo poo went down, giving Bobbie more to do by working undercover for Chrissie looking into discontent on Mars and the missing ships would be nice. Similarly having events in the belt give us more of the background on how Marco got his army together would bridge the gap pretty nicely. If Diogo doesn't end up being the first person through the ring, he could also be a perspective character for the OPA politicing, and Cortezar could keep the human side of the PM plot thread moving too.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

They have mentioned the Inaros collective as being present at the big OPA get together on Tycho.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I imagine that she's going to be how we're introduced to Clarissa for the first time, and then it gives us an on-screen building of their relationship as opposed to the off-screen "they knew each other from when she was a kid" thing the books do.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I feel like the structure of the show doesn't lend itself to the 4th book's structure - as stated some of the stuff is really important worldbuilding, but cutting characters like Bobbie, Fred Johnson and Drummer or Avasarala out for a whole season wouldn't make any sense. I imagine it's going to be way more condensed, with parallel plot lines for everyone in Sol setting up the Duerte and Marcos plotlines (assuming the show runs that long).

I hope some of the plot of book 4 remains because I really enjoyed Havelock's story, and the climax of the book has some great moments.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

It's easy to forget that Marco couldn't have done any of the things that gave him the legitimacy for his rebellion without Duerte, and after the rocks fall, he's basically loving up constantly except when the actually competent people below him are running things. At the end of the day he's just a big distraction for Duerte's master plan. That distraction just happens to be the biggest tragedy in human history.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Specifically Holden needs to get to the bridge and Nguyen because he has launch control of the missiles, and can turn the transponders for the missiles on so that they can be tracked and destroyed.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

The show's opening credits spoiling itself:

(check the location listed in the top right)

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

bloom posted:

iirc Holden goes to the Agatha King, turns on the transponders and the missiles get shot down by ships or planetary defenses. Fred Johnson blows up missiles headed for Tycho with one of Earth's nukes to remind everyone he's got a big dick.

They were all heading for Mars, and the UN and Mars were planning on shooting them down when they got to the innersys, Fred Johnson nukes every single protomissile when they get near the Belt to remind the Inners where Earth's entire planetary arsenal of nukes went.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

BORN TO DIE
SYSTEM IS A gently caress
Kill Em All 2359
I am rock man
410,757,864,530 DEAD EARTHERS

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 16, 2018

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Next episode is titled "delta-v" so it's likely. The teaser showed Belter related stuff though, including a new character - maybe the TV version of Bull?

I'm pretty sure Diogo is gonna go splat this next episode.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

New guy and Diogo's kinda silly looking new ink.

I do like the new "legitmate" OPA logo on the vac suits.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Probably "speculation" but to be fair the opening credits have a shot of the behemoth with the location listed as the ring gates.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's kinda refreshing that they don't exist and I don't know if there's an in-universe reason for it but I am surprised there's no chemical lasers. I think they got cancelled down here because while they had their benefits that didn't offset their downsides or perform better than other point defense systems but it's some indeterminate centuries into the future and they could easily handwave yet another scientific breakthrough.

IIRC it's never mentioned, kinda like how the intelligence of the computer systems isn't explored or addressed directly (they've got a computer doctor, and most of the ship's systems can run on auto, but autonomous drones or ships aren't a thing?)

I think it's just a function of the aesthetic vision they had for the setting not including things like A/VIs and lasers even though from a 'hard' technical perspective both would be possible in the setting.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

IIRC they mention some kind of focus enhancing drug that the Martian interrogator on the Donnager takes during the interrogation, but that's about it. There are other characters with performance enhancing neurochems, but they're not popping pills, and I don't think those pills show up elsewhere.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This time his rear end will get crushed to dust.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

There's a grizzled older dude showing up in this episode, and mentioned in the summaries that I assume is going to be show Bull. How much like his book character and role he will be is an open question.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I'm interested to see how they would handle the Duerte and Inaros rebellions, given how they've adapted everything so far, but who knows if we'll ever see it on the screen.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I just want the scene where Amos calls Avasarala "Chrissie" to her face played out with these actors.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Podcast confirmed that Michio Pa's role is now in Drummer, and they've put aspects of Bull into both Drummer and Ashford. Ashford's a bigger part now because they got an actor they like so wanted it to be more than it is in the book.

Gonna be interested to see the show Drummer fanclub react to her being complicit in the biggest war crime in Human history if we get that far with the show and assuming she's going to take over Pa's role in the Free Navy plot too.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Well, in a theoretical world where we get all nine books adapted they'd have to change that to have Drummer in her book seven role, it wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Not too much though right? Didn't Pa more or less just ride off into the sunset post time-skip after the establishment of the spacing guild?

I really need to reread the last few books to refresh my memory.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

bloom posted:

Marco did nothing wrong except being named Marco and generally being a tool.

The Belter revolution needed to happen but Marco was probably the worst pick to lead it for everyone but Duerte.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Remember when his scientist economist guy says "we really have to start working on our new nitrogen based economy plan now." and he's like "shut up nerd I'm going along with all my best ships to chase after my ex and her new boyfriend."

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I'm really looking forward to the show's representation of a gate jump gone wrong.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

It's easy to forget that Marco was a tool of Duarte, and was only able to execute the rock fall because of Duarte's resources. It's no surprise the once Marco's utility for The Master Plan was exhausted, and Marco was left to his own devices because Duarte just needed chaos in the system, things went to poo poo really quick, because Marco was just a pretty face who had no ideological commitment to any cause but his own aggrandizement. There were plenty of people in the Free Navy uprising who really did want to build a better belt for all Belters, but Marco didn't give a poo poo about that, he just wanted to be the big leader figure and look cool.

You can make arguments about whether or not those people who really wanted a fully independent belt should have collaborated with Marco at all, but the situation Duarte set up was a fait accompli - the rocks were a big symbol of Belter power, and the Martian ships gave Marco the only serious military muscle in the belt.

It's been a while since I read book 5 and 6 so I don't remember if people like Pa or the nitrogen economy science nerd were in on the planning stages of the rock fall itself, and if they were, yeah that's pretty obviously terrible. But if your options are slow death due to the realities of Inner-centric economics, death as traitors at the hands Belter piloted Martian gunships, or riding along with the only thing going in terms of a truly independent belt - especially before it's revealed that Marco is such a useless tool - yeah I can see how people might take that option. Remember, Eros would color their perceptions of the Inners greatly, and even though the casualties inflicted on Earth weren't proportional to those inflicted on the belt, Eros contained something like 1.5-3% of all Belters, and was absolutely an Inner plot callously inflicted on the Belters for Inner gain. Given how a country like the U.S. was driven insane by an event like 9/11, the notion that the belt would similarly be open to a symbol of retribution makes sense.

I don't know if the rock fall was needed to achieve Belter independence, and given Duarte's real goals, and his driving role in the plot I'm skeptical, but at the same time I'm reminded of Mark Twain's comment on the terror of the French revolution:

quote:

There were two 'Reigns of Terror,' if we would but remember it and consider it; the one wrought murder in hot passion, the other in heartless cold blood; the one lasted mere months, the other had lasted a thousand years; the one inflicted death upon ten thousand persons, the other upon a hundred millions; but our shudders are all for the 'horrors' of the minor Terror, the momentary Terror, so to speak; whereas, what is the horror of swift death by the axe, compared with lifelong death from hunger, cold, insult, cruelty, and heart-break?

What is swift death by lightning compared with death by slow fire at the stake? A city cemetery could contain the coffins filled by that brief Terror which we have all been so diligently taught to shiver at and mourn over; but all France could hardly contain the coffins filled by that older and real Terror--that unspeakably bitter and awful Terror which none of us has been taught to see in its vastness or pity as it deserves.

Obviously the numbers don't follow in this circumstance, but revolutionary actions tend to be judged much more harshly than the cruel status quo that preceded them, and any Belter revolution would have required some act of violence to break away from Inner domination. I just don't know if dropping the rocks was the only way.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 2, 2018

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Eros was an inside job wake up welwala!!

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I feel like the consequences of the Laconians loving with PM tech is going to be the main focus of the next book for sure.

I also think it's pretty thematically appropriate for Humanity at large to more or less just ignore the potential threat of the Ring Hub because it hasn't hosed with them since the slow zone incident. Like climate change or the condition of the Belters, it's a problem that we'll only react to after it's completely hosed us over.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

404notfound posted:

Didn't they already drop hints in season 1 about the missing stealth paint used on the asteroids? I fully expect them to start weaving those elements into the story earlier, given how substantial they are in the overall plot.

I'm pretty sure the missing stealth composites in season 1 were things being stolen for the Protogen fleet and not the Belt. The smuggler being a belter was an OPA red herring for the UN.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Season one teases both the rockfall and Filip in like the first 3 episodes.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Without Duarte, the Free Navy and rockfall doesn't happen and Marco continues to be a bit player in the OPA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Decided to do a rewatch of S3, still impressed at how well they adapted semi-realistic space combat to the screen.

and how great Drummer's actress is.

• Locked thread