Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Who the hell is Murtry? I know I've read all the books but for some reason remember like nothing from the more recent ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh, that guy, thanks for the reminder.

And yeah his endgame WAS pretty much "sit here and die so the bosses can make their money." He wasn't just a cop, he was a corporate cop. Of course he's a loving idiot bootlicker who only cares about making sure The Company gets its lithium or whatever they were there for.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

drewhead posted:

I guess I expect the instinct of survival to be more apparent in a human being. Marcos was snuffed out [supposedly] by PM magic he didn't know of or see coming. Murtry has multiple opportunities to turn away from what seems to be certain death and chooses not to. Then is saved by PM magic that he doesn't know of or see coming.

I get that at a certain point Murtry has to know that his actions will have consequences. I think he clearly understand that when he tells Holden that maybe in three years or whatever when someone actually gets here and then takes him back, but for now I'm God [paraphrasing]. But his actions seem devoid of any desire of self preservation. What's his best case scenario if they survive? Jail? If he wanted to die for some reason, or if the company was going to take care of his family, or he was terminally ill, etc it would be more believable. I'm just not buying the I love my company so much I'm willing to die for them motivation. His power trip? Yes. His end game? No! It's nationalism at a corporate level and I can't wrap my head around that.

Buddy there are people right this very second getting permanent tattoos of their company logo for a quick raise, I don't even want to think about what great new heights of bootlicking we're gonna reach 200 years in the future. Capitalism makes people stupid, hell slavish dedication to a corporation is more believable in a lot of ways than slavish dedication to a nation.

And beyond that, like Toast Museum pointed out, he probably doesn't really give a poo poo about ANY justification beyond a smokescreen to make others go along with him. Dude's a sociopath who finally has an excuse to power trip and shoot people like he's always dreamed about.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Nationalism is inherently irrational, too. "Go die in the Somme, you'll die an agonizing death choking on your own blistered lungs but you'll make [France/Britain/Germany] very proud and we'll give you a medal posthumously" was justification enough for literal millions of people to ignore their self-preservation. Why is it so hard to imagine that in the future people could develop similar attachment to a corporation, particularly when it doesn't even seem that far off today much less 300+ years down the line.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

bloom posted:

Someone remind me how the Agatha King gets infected. It's been a while since I read the books and can't remember. It does happen around this time, right?

I wonder how they'll do Holden's trip to the ship. Is it gonna be all blue and glowing like Eros, or will they take it in a more body horror direction like they did with that lab tech.

Accidentally got hit with one of the monster missiles and the payload broke out and started barfing all over everything, iirc.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Phenotype posted:

Can someone refresh my memory on this, too? I thought the name sounded familiar, but I just remember a ship that was infected with protomolecule somehow and for some reason they couldn't just blow it up, and Holden went in alone and did a thing.

I thought it happened in one of the later books, though.

The ship got hit accidentally by one of the missiles containing a protomonster when they launched off Io and it barfed all over everything. Now there's a MacGuffin kill code or whatever on the King that will stop all the protomolecule missiles so Holden has to trek through the spooky body horror ship to find it and save the system.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 10, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does the Behemoth ever just loving ruin someone's day? I thought at first when he sent drummer to retrieve it it was gonna be used as just another habitat on the belt but it can't hold that many people so retrofitting it as a space battleship seems to make more sense anyway. Besides, I guess it could pull double duty as an extremely well armed colony anyway.

Nah it's an utter trash garbo battleship, it was built to be a civilian colony vessel. It just fundamentally doesn't have the structural integrity or design features needed to be an effective warship. It's big, slow, and flimsy, about the best I can imagine doing with it is turning it into some kind of glass cannon missile battleship that survives by staying far away and never getting shot back at, because it does have lots of surface area to put launchers on/interior space to convert to magazines. Even then it's slow and hard to maneuver so it would presumably just get chased down and killed by FACs/destroyers. But I would never in a trillion years want to take it into an actual fleet action gun battle like Fred Johnson is refitting it to. There are multiple points in the books where various engineers and whatnot express concern that firing the railguns they welded on might just tear them off their mounts, and there's zero chance it can actually take any meaningful amount of punishment.

Its real value is as a symbol. Hey, look, the Belt has big-rear end ships covered in guns too! We're big and strong and you can't gently caress with us anymore! We have a right to come slap our dicks on the table now! Anybody in-universe who knows the first thing about naval engineering or space warfare has got to see it would be useless as an actual military asset, but that's not what Fred/the OPA want to use it for anyways. It's a political symbol.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 10, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

It has built-in spin gravity that can be set to whatever level you want, a lot of the drum's interior is set up for farmland (real human food, no more mushroom paste!), the water and air recyclers are designed to last forever and serve a population of thousands, and it's got enough cargo space to hold all the supplies you need to build a colony from scratch that could be converted to warehouses/other storage.

It would indeed make a pretty good port/waystation... if only they had somewhere useful to put it....

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Partially Earth just being a paper tiger with mostly old garbage ships that are worthless, partially being reduced from the war with Mars beforehand, but mainly it's not that the UNN itself is lovely. The problem is that they refuse to leave Earth orbit because they need 95% of their ships at home to make absolutely positively drat sure that nobody ever drops a rock on the place again. So they still have lots of ships, but the politicians would never sign off on them going on the offensive.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 17, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Sure they are. They're the reason she could do 80% of her bullshit in book 3. They're the reason she has to be in hyperjail a mile underground later on, and they're a major part of her character in the most recent book. Although being a big part of book 7 may not matter seeing as even if the show hadn't got cancelled I doubt they would have made it that far anyways.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Inaros did literally nothing wrong

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

What's even the point of doing that? Looking smart to internet strangers? Nobody's fuckin buying that it's speculation, coyo, stop posting spoilers in the non-spoiler thread.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 25, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Phi230 posted:

Earth deserved the rocks, the belt deserved independence

bloom posted:

Marco did nothing wrong except being named Marco and generally being a tool.

:yeah:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh you just know Bezos thinks Duarte is the good guy

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Show-Mars is a lot more corp-fash than book-Mars, I think. In the show one of the Marines in Bobbie's squad is absurdly rich because they come from the family that owns all the terraformers, and the idea that one single family privately owns a large chunk of the 'formers and makes a profit off that has all sorts of fun implications for the rest of society.

But book-Mars never really gets even that much fleshing out. They do appear to have a legitimate democracy, and I'd be tempted to call them some kind of leftist society what with the planned economy (and red color scheme), but there's really no evidence beyond that and lots of other stuff like the hyper-militaristic culture and the elitism against 'takers' or whatever. They're an entire society built around terraforming, and if you aren't contributing towards the project somehow you're a worthless taker. That's pretty much all we know.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 27, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

IIRC there's a Martian ship named the Elon Musk mentioned in passing so that should really tell us all we need to know.

E: Wait maybe I was thinking of the Mark Watney which isn't nearly as egregious. Hrm.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 28, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah iirc trying to "leave" the bubble formed by the rings just makes things disappear into who the gently caress knows. Anything that touches the boundary is never seen or heard from again, some junk/intentionally fired probes and railgun slugs have definitely poofed out of existence and I think some idiots may have tried to fly out there once or twice but I'm less sure on that.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 29, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

All the funky new proto-tech is definitely not a thing in the books by this point, so the Roci isn't obsoleted by that at least. The very first major piece of proto-tech we hear mentioned is the lace plating that's a zillion times lighter and tougher than steel that they retrofit some bits of onto the Roci during book.... 5 or 6. On Luna after the rocks hit, can't remember the exact time. No way do they have anything major in the show yet unless something's radically changed, I think the self-sealing suits and stealth ships that Protogen had in Season 1 were just real bleeding edge normal human tech, nothing alien.

And I don't remember them having trouble against pirates, in fact I think there were some monologues where Holden felt bad about effortlessly slaughtering the gently caress out of people because they wouldn't surrender. And I don't think bullets are hard to get, it's the torpedoes that are hard to get. IIRC that's why they got the railgun installed, so they could have some major punch with just random chunks of metal rather than the impossible to get military torps.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 8, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Svaha posted:

I imagine they would have to, unless they do some sort of time dilatation type handwaving. I get the feeling they are going to try and find a way around it, because no one is going to want to wear old age makeup for 3 entire seasons.

Yeah I've got a suspicion that they're gonna have to handwave the 30 year timeskip somehow because I cannot imagine a way to make that play well on TV. Really I don't think it even played that well in the book. But then on the other hand the entire final part of the series absolutely needs 30 years to have passed to work the way it does, so I dunno :shrug:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah the 30 year timeskip is sorta required to get humanity into the state necessary for the story of the last 3 books. I'm guessing that the next book or two are gonna involve setting up a resistance network across the few hundred human colonies with tens if not hundreds of millions of people, which you kinda need 30 years to develop, and seems like an integral part of the setting.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lol what universe do y'all live in where the idea of a sociopath being willing to kill and die for the benefit of some faceless megacorp is inconceivable as if people don't literally already do that right now in 2018, much less the hypercapitalist hellscape of 2537 or whenever.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Problem is Dawes is cool and good and not a complete and utter loving idiot like Inaros, so a Free Navy led by him but doing all the same things makes zero sense. Also the whole family drama thing between Naomi, Marco, and Filip is a major plot thread, especially since Marco basically killed a few billion people largely to impress his ex from college.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Dude Hitler was the epitome of whiny idiot who spins all their fuckups and personal crusades as part of the master plan and was in charge of a major movement and then a country for like 20+ years. Marco seems at least partially based on that.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 2, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Eros and later the whole Project Caliban saga was Inner scientists supported by Inner money torturing millions of Belters to death to satisfy the curiosity/make profit for Inner bourgeoisie and governments. The Al Qaeda analogy might work better if Protogen wasn't thoroughly intertwined with Inner powers to the point that they're basically a shadow government.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The ghetto boarding pods made of FedEx containers were also hexagonal, so I guess cargo containers are just hexagons in the future. Might be better for stacking in three dimensions with no gravity somehow, I dunno I don't live in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'm not a special effects expert but would it be super expensive to just make all the grass black? IIRC that's the defining feature of Ilus, all the grass is black instead of green, and even just that one thing would probably make it look sufficiently alien.

E: Also the clouds are all green, and that obviously becomes a major plot point in the last act.

• Locked thread