Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo they're doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

kerwyn posted:

An episode earlier I think, "Delta-V" is probably gonna feature the slingshotter shooting the ring and getting turned into paste

e: i'm unreasonably excited that they named an episode Dandelion Sky

I think Objects In Motion will probably be the first slow zone disaster after Holden goes Galaxy Brain?

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 31, 2018

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's pretty lol that ppl are so laser focussed on the war and politics because none of this poo poo is gonna matter when Ghosts and Aliens show up

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Desire, know more, intensifies, etc.

What

Like you want spoilers?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hell yeah. I love getting spoiled. I guess put it in tags. Ive already got a general idea of what happens so it's even more frustrating

These are book stuff

1. Admiral Nguyen is in cahoots with Mao + Errinwright to make the proto-hybrids.

2. Roci and gang convince Martian + Earth Loyalists to fight and go to Io

3. Trapped in a bind, they shoot the Proto-hybrid missiles at Earth + Mars. The Agatha King is infected and goes dark.

4. Holden boards the AK and executes Nguyen. A sailor stays behind and self destructs the AK.

5. Bobby 1v1s a proto-hybrid and wins. They capture Io and the Hybrids are detonated or diffused, I can't remember.

6. During a peace summit on Luna after these events, the Venus crater erupts and sends a giant "ship" hurtling through space. The object stops and forms a ring.

7. The Protomolecule has absorbed Miller's consciousness and created a new identity as "The investigator." The investigator appears to Holden and only Holden.

8. Some kid who wants to gently caress his cousin slingshots through the ring and doesn't come out the other side. He is pasted in a fraction of a second by a 90g deceleration.

9. Earth, Mars + Belt make a joint expedition to research the ring.

10. Meanwhile, the entire Mao family has been ruined and Clarissa Mao makes a very convoluted plan to get revenge on Holden.

11. Clarissa gets on the Thomas Prince.

12. The Roci and the joint expedition go to the ring.

13. Clarissa Mao hacks the Roci to show that it fired torpedo, sabotaged and blew up a nearby ship, and made a deepfake video where Holden accepts responsibility.

14. Everyone, including the OPA, try to kill Holden.

15. Chased by a million billion torpedoes, the Roci goes through the ring.

16. They are now in an alien "hub" with thousands of rings and the laws of physics no longer work, as there is a speed limit of about 600 m/s.

17. As the Roci and torpedoes have violated the speed limit, they are basically tractor beamed to a giant sphere in the center of the hub.

18. The joint mission also enters the ring, and the Martians send 2 kill teams to go after Holden.

19. Ghost of Miller is now fully cognizant, rather than being kind of dementia and incoherent before, and tells Holden to enter the sphere.

20. Holden enters the sphere and is followed by the Martian kill team.

21. While inside the sphere, he talks to Miller and inspects the weird nature of the place.

22. The Martian kill team shows up and start shooting at Holden, but the bullets are non-lethal because they've been slowed by the slow-zone.

23. Giant robots awaken and start dismemberimg the kill team. A Marine shoots a grenade at "the speed of a good baseball pitch" and the grenade explodes. The slow zone now recognizing everything at that speed to be a threat, lowers the speed limit to like less than 100m/s.

24. All the ships currently in the slow-zone are now decelerated to match the new speed limit. People go from going 600m/s to going less than 100m/s in a fraction of a second and thousands of people die/are injured. Anna goes around and sees poo poo like people pasted on walls and torn in half and poo poo.

25. The season will probably conclude with Holden at the behest of Ghost Miller, touching a large monolith on the alien sphere. Holder's consciousness is uploaded to a non-corporeal form (where the Protomolecule creators used to reside) and learns that the PM creators were non-corporeal and to merely have physical bodies was a sign of nobility and status. The PM creators had a galaxy-spanning empire and used the PM on billion-year missions to colonize new systems.

However, systems started getting "eaten" and the galaxy wide network was being infected by something lovecraftian in nature. In order to contain the threat, the PM creators intentionally destroyed tens of thousands of entire star systems, and thus themselves. All that remains of the PM-creator empire is the slow-zone and about 1300 gates to new systems, uninfected, abandoned for billions of years.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Miller says that merely being in the physical world with a physical body is something of "status"

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think maybe saying that most individuals lived in "the cloud" gets the point across better

Its also like maybe halfway through AG, not the end. The end is completely different to everything I posted above.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 4, 2018

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah but they also had the alien logistics network and the artificial moon orbital defense network

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah that's it

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I hope they don't change anything. I think the series should end on the ominous "avoid the Laconia gate or be destroyed"

And then 30 real life years later pick up on books 7-8-9

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think there was a big war but like it was in the background? I really can't remember book 2 all that well

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

zeal posted:

Have the books revealed what destroyed the PM creators?

A lovecraftian entity coined by Holden as "The black bullet"

We have evidence they still exist, and are still active.

Something is "eating" ships that pass through the ring. Like ships go in, and don't ever show up at the destination.

After the events of book 3, the 1300 or so gate systems that have been unlocked basically become a New World, with the slow-zone hub being the Atlantic Ocean. They're well travelled and the OPA controls trade. Except something is eating ships.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

zeal posted:

i guess the Investigator forgot to warn them about Void Krakens

No, he did, and The Investigator sacrifices himself after he inhabits the body of a giant robot crab to destroy this kind of evil hole on at an alien train station

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
And a main character we haven't met yet in the show rides Millercrab into battle fighting other giant insectoid robots

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This takes place after a fusion reactor the size of a continent melts down and has a planet-cracking explosion that Holden, Amos, some inyaloda scum and Belter colonists have to ride out planetside

Because they can't send relief ships, because there are about a dozen artificial moons that actually 2 billion year old orbital defense guns that shoot down anything that tries to land

There's also slugs, lizards and a scientist who really wants to gently caress Holden. Oh, and a guy floating in EVA gets shot by a railgun.

People rag on book 4 but it has super dope moments that I wanna see on TV

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Well they can skip like the first half of both book 3 and 4 as long as we see a guy get owned by railgun

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

bloom posted:

I wonder who they'll cast as immortal space hitler if the show gets that far.

it won't

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat posted:

I'm a good boy but I kinda want to post a botched spoiler about Immortal Space Hitler in the other thread just to see the reaction.

don't worry, in like 2-3 weeks we are probably gonna get a huge bit of drama where people freak the gently caress out that the show is going more fantastical. The thread will somehow get worse

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Collateral posted:

He is an unbelievable character sure, but there are plenty of real people just like him. Che was probably a template.

Che was extremely good and never sold out

Like a film negative of Marco, an extremely bad sellout

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
In terms of actual writing quality Murtry seemed like he was written as the self insert for an edgy 14 year old

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I agree w everything you said except one big point of contention that I cannot abide

The Expanse takes place at least 300 years in the future, possibly longer.

When the crew toasts to Miller, Holden holds a bottle of gin that says "since 2307"

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
People have killed for corporations in the past, even today, why don't you think somebody would die for one

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There's a rumor that they replaced Thomas Jane's Ghost Miller with Elias Toufexas' Ghost Pudgy Adam Jenson

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They had to get a maguffin so they could go on the spooky ghost ship

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm laughing and also crying at the people in the non-spoiler thread who think this season isn't going to end on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved.

Well like we have the books so it's not as bad

And this book series is actually finishing next year

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
loving show spoiling the show by showing the show

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder how they're gonna handle Peaches' combat implants

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ATP_Power posted:

There's a grizzled older dude showing up in this episode, and mentioned in the summaries that I assume is going to be show Bull. How much like his book character and role he will be is an open question.

That's ashford

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Will Drummer die like Sam or Bull

I hope Bull. I also hope for Robo-Drummer

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The Expanse is written by liberals and as such the entire Marco storyline is red-scare style anti-left slander, to not only sympathize with imperialism but advocate for it.

I'm hoping it will be more nuanced and correctly identified as a Martian plot.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Crazycryodude posted:

Inaros did literally nothing wrong

well except betray the revolution

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Well nearly everyone she’s been talking to who isn’t Fred (and sometimes Naomi) really needs shot.

She could be one tenth of one percent responsible for the rockfall and she would still be worse than Hitler.

She’s dead to me if she even hears rumours of the plot and doesn’t warn the UN.

That seems likely. :smith:

Imagine being so brain broken you say "every belter should be shot" and then be angry about the rocks in the next sentence

Garnering sympathy for the evil inner empires is the worst liberal bullshit this series ever pulled

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Earth deserved the rocks, the belt deserved independence

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

This is like if I said “nearly everyone Hitler’s dog meets needs bitten” and you accuse me of wanting to kill every ethnic German.

The fact that they are meeting people of only one race is a because the people they are meeting are the leaders and facilitators of a fascist ethnostate.

So who in the context of the show should be shot?

Ashford and Diogo? Dawes?

If your criteria is "everyone who wants a belter revolution" then you might as well be killing every single belter

not speaking for Ashford but you're accusing anti-imperialist, egalitarian revolutionaries of being the equivalent of the "leaders and facilitators of a fascist ethnostate"

the only people the show or books shows us as being anywhere near equal to right-wing nationalists is Marco and Black Sky

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Revolutions are cool & good but not when they entail murdering every human currently living, twice. Anyone who supports that can take a long walk in a short airlock.

As the mushroom on top, in one stroke the revolutionaries do more ecological damage than every evil empire and corporation since the start of the Industrial Revolution. Marco Inaros has finally surpassed such luminaries as Fritz Haber and Thomas Midgley, Jr.

I find the accusation that every Belter supports such a heinous act racist and unlikely.

Marco should've killed you and only you

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Title drop! :toot:

Well, the appearance of the other ring gates is where the phrase "dandelion sky" comes from, and that's the title of the last ep in the season, so...probably?

There are 3 more episodes after Dandelion Sky

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The blue effect looks like a video game from 2003. Not good

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I doubt they'll even adapt books 7-8-9

They said they'd finish the series in 5 seasons. The way things are going they can finish the series w the end of book 6

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Or they'll pull a Twin Peaks and wait 25 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I forget, where was Dawes during the Free Navy fiasco? He'd be way better as an Earth-killing fanatic and we have a thread if his rage towards the Earthers going back to season 1. Just make Marco his second banana and problem solved.

Edit: yeah he's team Marco anyway, switches sides after the attack, gets a brief redemption arc, then gets tossed into a UN prison forever.

It's clearly explained on book 5 that Dawes sides with whomever has the best interest of the Belt at hand.

The moment Marco stopped redistributing material to the belt is the moment Dawes would jump ship and join up with Pa.

Dawes is relatively small fry anyway. Hes just the leader of Ceres. I dont think he has a role in the story anymore.

Also obligatory: loving libs thinking every radical is a bad person

Dawes: radical for equality and belter liberation

Marco: power hungry belter nationalist

Libs: wow! I'm seeing double!

• Locked thread