Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
White Light
Dec 19, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This has been the most likely outcome from the start and if you have not not preparing for it you have been lying to yourself. The hope will be it galvanizes the left and we remove them from power in the aftermath. Mueller is not going to put anyone in the cabinet or trumps family away.

I can't say that I haven't prepared for the possibility of it, but I will say that for many, many US citizens, the Robert Muller investigation was the one thing keeping them moving forward after all the unchecked bullshit that Trump has done, especially during that first year. Even if it doesn't gain any traction, the fallout from it will be pretty catastrophic, with a large amount of voters losing complete faith in the democratic process in general.

If one man can truly 'get away with it all' when it comes to all his scandals without even a slap on the wrist, many voters will throw their hands up with an 'what even matters anymore' mentality, wont bother to show up and vote, and we get another repeat of first term Trump plus every future election.

I'd say these midterms could be the most important ones in my generation, and the results of the Muller investigation are gonna either bolster their efforts to get out and vote or get them to stop caring altogether. It's more than a bit scary to watch, feels like this will be the lynch pin on how every election will go from then on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

turnip kid posted:

Nice fan fiction. Not one Republican will care.

Of course they won't care. They're just looking for a pretext to get a candidate they'd like better.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I'm starting to spiral downwards again despite my best efforts and before anyone jumps on me for being sad yes I am looking into getting a therapist. Though chances are the therapist is just going to laugh at me or respond with, "lol politics I dunno."

I ask you honestly, do you really think we're going to pull out of this? Every time I think maybe we might be ok the country dives even harder towards the ground. Americans want Fascism. They're craving it. They will excuse anything as long as they get it.

I'm really starting to lose it and I'm crying all the time. I tried taking a break from the news, but it didn't help.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/1016552158085419014

i basically agree with this and it's gonna be very important to start pushing all this stuff hard after november. what is cut off is that the court packing should be precise: two seats to neutralize gorusch; then if there's solid reason to view trump as illegitimate because of the mueller investigation two seats to neutralize kavenaugh.

The only way this happens is with different congressional leadership.

Also, your argument for court packing won't really matter, you just do it. It's just a raw exercise of political power.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

turnip kid posted:

Nice fan fiction. Not one Republican will care.

They will if they want to earn some political capital!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

pelosi will knife republicans without hesitation. schumer, i am less confident in, but that's why it's going to be important to make sure the presidential nominee is on board and there is a clear public mandate

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1016689120809291776

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Travic posted:

So I'm starting to spiral downwards again despite my best efforts and before anyone jumps on me for being sad yes I am looking into getting a therapist. Though chances are the therapist is just going to laugh at me or respond with, "lol politics I dunno."

I ask you honestly, do you really think we're going to pull out of this? Every time I think maybe we might be ok the country dives even harder towards the ground. Americans want Fascism. They're craving it. They will excuse anything as long as they get it.

I'm really starting to lose it and I'm crying all the time. I tried taking a break from the news, but it didn't help.

November matters. If the blue wave both takes the House and a number of state legislatures, the gerrymanders that are propping up the Republican party can be abolished and new nonsense blocked until 2020. And remember: Trump has never had the support of a majority of Americans.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Didn't they end up not even convicted? What in the gently caress?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh for fucks sake

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CascadeBeta posted:

Didn't they end up not even convicted? What in the gently caress?

They were convicted and both have served years in jail.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Travic posted:

It is time for Glorious Revolution. :ussr:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

These are the idiots that indirectly started the take over of the wildlife refuge because they got caught doing illegal poo poo on government land.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Basically, if you have a GOP slant, Trump will pardon you. Awesome.

What happened to all those guys screaming about tyranny?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/evanperez/status/1016689469783764993

unfortunately for the insane flynn conspiracists, the hearing today was essentially nothing as expected

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

evilweasel posted:

They were convicted and both have served years in jail.

Oh, weird. I remember them getting a hung jury or something. Then again that was a millenia ago so I'm not surprised I was mistaken.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

CascadeBeta posted:

Oh, weird. I remember them getting a hung jury or something. Then again that was a millenia ago so I'm not surprised I was mistaken.

That was the wildlife refuge guys, not these idiots. They took over the refuge because of the injustice of these idiots committing crimes and getting charged for them.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

CascadeBeta posted:

You might be thinking of the Bundys family.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Yup that's totally who I was thinking of. I forgot there were more than one set of those idiots.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Travic posted:

Americans don't want Fascism; an aging and dying, but politically well-positioned, minority do. All we have to do is get through the next few years.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Pardoning insurrectionists? I guess he's just warming up.

e: wrong loons

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

mcmagic posted:

The Democrats are failures if they don't immediately embark on an agenda featuring most aggressive concentration of power in living memory.

Also, before that, they should turf the most effective whip operation in generations because ~reasons~.

Fakeedit:sorry, is talking about whips lanyardy?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

These are the idiots that indirectly started the take over of the wildlife refuge because they got caught doing illegal poo poo on government land.

Sort of. They showed up to trial and went to jail (because they were guilty) and publicly told the Bundy occupiers to gently caress off and go home IIRC.

Edit: they're still an bunch of dicks who nearly killed a bunch of firefighters in a arson committed to cover up illegal poaching

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 10, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

clearly trump is sending a message to michael cohen and paul manafort that they should burn everything

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Very cool and normal that Trump is giving full pardons to literal right wing seditionists.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

1337JiveTurkey posted:

If Kennedy had some sort of bargain going on with Trump... The real question is what does it do to the lunatic fringe of the Republicans.
Fox & Friends will tell their audience that not only is this perfectly fine, it was a forward-thinking and responsible act on the parts of both Kennedy and Trump. Why didn't B. Hussein Obama make a similar effort? Guess that's just more proof that Democrats hate America. Next time they'll be demanding such an arrangement.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zophar posted:

Very cool and normal that Trump is giving full pardons to literal right wing seditionists.

these guys weren't the seditionists. this is a bad pardon but these weren't the bundys.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Oh jesus gently caress

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Were these the guys that were getting sent dildos and poo poo by random people?

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc

turnip kid posted:

I really have no loving clue how anyone with a semi-functioning brain would want to vote for Rick Scott, yet here we are, with Rick Scott about to win his third election. Inarticulate, Skeletor-looking motherfucker who got away with committing major felonies.
I used to think Bill Day's caricatures of Rick Scott on Cagle were laying it on thick, but then I saw actual pictures of him and holy god, Florida really did elect Bat Boy.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Travic posted:

Step away for a little bit. America does not want Fascism. You need to tell yourself that. The pendulum has hard swung back to far into the right, but there is always been a harsh swing right after a bit more progressive agenda in the history of the United States. There are things that will need drastic measures to fix, but it's not all bleak and doom/gloom.

You know what would make you feel better? Go out and volunteer. Phonebank, be active, see and be around other people that share your goals. Donate to the DSA, or some other grassroot organization that you agree with. There is a lot of bad news coming into this thread because that's the focus of this thread, but take this sorrow and this depression and get out and try to make the change you want rather than just reading about it in this thread.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mahoning posted:

Were these the guys that were getting sent dildos and poo poo by random people?

no the dildonians were protesting the sentences these guys recieved

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh this was what lead to Blue Tarp guy getting shot and killed

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Oh this was what lead to Blue Tarp guy getting shot and killed

They burned a bunch of government land to cover up the fact they were grazing it or poaching it.

[edit] Slaughtered deer herd, then torched the evidence.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Robot Hobo posted:

Fox & Friends will tell their audience that not only is this perfectly fine, it was a forward-thinking and responsible act on the parts of both Kennedy and Trump. Why didn't B. Hussein Obama make a similar effort? Guess that's just more proof that Democrats hate America. Next time they'll be demanding such an arrangement.

Fox News can say what it wants. This is what they've been fighting for decades to get. They don't give a poo poo about mandatory binding arbitration and all that stuff the business wing does, and getting someone who only cares about that is to them a betrayal.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

lemonadesweetheart posted:

They burned a bunch of government land to cover up the fact they were grazing it or poaching it.

Oh yeah, they nearly killed somebody who had to be rescued by helicopter in order to hide their crime

great pardon, Trump

Oh man, if Trump LOSES in 2020, he's going to go absolutely nuclear with his pardon power during the lame duck period

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm not saying that Jennifer Jacobs is a bad source of information, but what's her source? I've checked CNN, NBC, Talking Points, Politico, and The Daily Beast. None of them have said a word about any pardons. Has this just not broken yet?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Remember when the president wanted black teens summarily executed for a crime none of them were involved in?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm not saying that Jennifer Jacobs is a bad source of information, but what's her source? I've checked CNN, NBC, Talking Points, Politico, and The Daily Beast. None of them have said a word about any pardons. Has this just not broken yet?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-10/trump-pardons-ranchers-in-case-that-inspired-2016-occupation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Asema posted:

The pendulum has hard swung back to far into the right, but there is always been a harsh swing right after a bit more progressive agenda in the history of the United States.

This cannot be overstated. McCarthyism followed on the heels of the New Deal and FDR. Nixon's shenanigans followed on the heels of Kennedy, LBJ, and the Civil Rights movement. The pendulum always swings, because of course regressives hate progress. And the old fucks always go down swinging trying to turn back the hands of time.

• Locked thread