Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Build:
Intel DX58SO w/ latest BIOS build (5600)
Intel Core i7 920 (Bloomfield)
2x Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 v8.16 4GB DDR3 DIMMS (Herein known as "yellow") - bought eons ago and has been working fine
2x Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 v3.19 4GB DDR3 DIMMS (aka "blue") - bought on eBay earlier this week
GeForce 8x00 GT of some fashion with 256MB onboard RAM
----
Both pairs are 9-9-9-24, both 1.65 volts, both 1600 MHz.

The DX58SO has 4 DIMM slots. 3 are blue, 1 is black.
Channel A DIMM 1 (black)
Channel A DIMM 0 (blue)
Channel B DIMM (blue)
Channel C DIMM (blue)

I have attempted all possible iterations of RAM pairings to get it to work. I'm currently running 1x Blue and 1x Yellow in Channels B/C. If anything goes into Channel A, I get 3 long beeps ("No memory"). I have also attempted to run 3x4GB and get the same error.
pre:
BYBY
YBYB
YYBB
BBYY
-BYB
-YBY
-BBY
-YYB
--YB (current)

Some Intel rep posted:

Your processor is capable of supporting only 1, 2 & 4 GB DIMMs (to a maximum of 16GB); it cannot support 8GB DIMMs.
For optimal memory access performance, use three identical DIMMs in the (blue) Channel A DIMM0, Channel B and Channel C sockets.
If you add a DIMM in the (black) Channel A DIMM 1 socket, it must be identical to the DIMM in the (blue) Channel A DIMM 0 socket.
By 'identical', I mean same size, same voltage, same weight state configuration, etc. Optimally, you have purchased the four DIMMs as two matched-pairs (i.e. they are identical and have been tested together).
Adding a DIMM in the (black) Channel A DIMM 1 socket will indeed reduce memory access performance. In my opinion, the improvements in overall O/S performance as a result of having 16GB (instead of 12GB) of memory should easily offset the reduced memory access performance. I thus consider this upgrade to be a net win.
https://communities.intel.com/thread/116807

The only thing I have NOT done is remove the CPU and reinstall. Mostly because I have no idea where my Arctic Silver is anymore.

Any suggestions? Any experience with this devil board?

edit: After posting this I remembered that I'd read something about Intel XMP I have enabled it and booted fine with 2x DIMMs. Go to 4 or 3, still three beeps.

References
System Memory for the Intel® Desktop Board DX58SO
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...ard-dx58so.html
https://ark.intel.com/products/36888/Intel-Desktop-Board-DX58SO
DX58SO Product Guide

ryanbruce fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread