Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/12/tsa-surveillance-laptops-cellphones-domestic-flights

quote:

There are a growing number of reports of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) searching the electronic devices of passengers on domestic flights in the US, according to the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), which has sued the federal agency for records.

The ACLU Foundation of Northern California filed a lawsuit against the TSA on Monday demanding that the government disclose its policies for searching the computers and cellphones of domestic travelers, arguing that anecdotal accounts have raised concerns about potential privacy invasions...

One woman who shared her story with the ACLU told the Guardian that in the last year, she had twice had her electronics searched while flying within California. The 64-year-old, who works in the not-for-profit sector and requested anonymity for fear that she could face further scrutiny from TSA, said that on one occasion last year, TSA agents pulled her aside to pat her down multiple times and eventually asked to see both her iPhones – a work and personal one.

The agents did not ask her to unlock the phones, but took them for at least 10 minutes out of her view, she said, adding that she quickly became distraught.

“I no longer had my phones, so there was no one I could contact,” she said, adding, “It just feels like an invasion of privacy, especially when they are not telling you what the problem is.”

The woman said on a recent trip, the TSA also briefly took her laptop, which was password protected... The ACLU said it had received no response to its public records requests sent in December 2017, forcing the group to file the lawsuit, which is seeking fairly basic policy documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Rutibex posted:

this is why my phone has a normal unlock code and an unlock code that wipes the memory. what an OP sec newb

if a device goes out of your eyesight you have to assume it's been owned (implant installed)

so now NGO workers need burner laptops / phones for internal travel.

and it's blatantly illegal, which is unnerving.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Colonel Cancer posted:

All smartphones and laptops are basically IEDs due to lithium ion batteries and shouldn't be allowed on the plane.

yeah but now only the bad guys have IEDs. the only thing that can stop a bad guy with an IED is a good guy with an IED

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Colonel Cancer posted:

I bet 9/11 wouldn't have happened if passengers just threw their Nokias at bad guys.

Unfortunately Mark Wahlberg missed his flight

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2012/01/mark-wahlberg-thinks-he-could-have-stopped-911.html

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Volcott posted:

I've never had the opportunity to say "get a warrant buttfucker" and at this point I'm worried I've missed my chance.

A friend who works for a well known nonprofit told me to call him if I ever want to be a test case. Every time I go to the airport I pray they'll be dumb enough to gently caress with me.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Egbert Souse posted:

I fly a lot for work and have occasionally had my backpack searched. No big deal. I just wait at the search station, the agent brings it in front of me, and asks for permission to search it.

Once at Palm Beach Intl. an agent took my backpack off the conveyor before going through the x-ray machine and started rummaging through it, then put it through the conveyer with me standing right there like it was nothing. Nothing was missing, at least, but I would have put in a complaint if it wouldn't probably put me on some shitlist.

i had the same, tried to complain to a supervisor but but he said "i'm on smoko, so leave me alone!" :mad:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Colonel Cancer posted:

Lmao this is the most internet tough guy thing I've read recently. loving actors.

yeah but the apology is gold:

quote:

Update: Wahlberg has issued an apology:
“To speculate about such a situation is ridiculous to begin with, and to suggest I would have done anything differently than the passengers on that plane was irresponsible. I deeply apologize to the families of the victims that my answer came off as insensitive, it was certainly not my intention.”

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Dmitri-9 posted:

They can just clone your hard drive and do whatever NSA chicanery they did on the San Bernardino shooters phone.

calm down chuck. all they can do is make a bunch of images to get around the "10 tries then it wipes" limit. from there it's all brute force. if you have a good password they're hosed

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Skeleton Ape posted:

Hmmmm a 5 digit numeric password, you'd need some kind of supercomputer running for 1000 years to brute force that

try a 10+ character mnemonic with uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and symbols :smug:

don't dox me.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Rutibex posted:

just make an image of your phone memory and upload it to some cloud service. travel with no SIM card (buy a new one where your going) and have the phone in factory reset state. you can restore it once you arrive.

put my files in the CLOUD? are you insane? have you heard of prism?

all my backups go to usbs i control, or into a veracrypt volume and THAT goes into the :airquote:cloud:airquote:

Colonel Cancer posted:

I really don't think NSA relies on brute force approach to most common encryption methods. There are likely backdoors to some, and tricks to others. Most people don't bother with super complicated passwords so basic rainbow tables might even do the trick.

Then again, most people don't password protect poo poo either so :shrug:

the nsa are a bunch of idiots whose only saving grace are a huge budget and they don't have LEOs trying to hunt them down when they do skiddie poo poo.

they have to buy their exploits from guys like me

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Rutibex posted:

there is to much data on the cloud for them to look at it all. you only need to worry about PRISM if you are on the list. if you suspect you're on the list you shouldn't be traveling by plane anyway, and you should own no electronics made after 1998

lol ok buddy

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

nice username/post combo :cop:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

i should be able to open carry an assault rifle through the airport too

you actually can in many states as long as you carry it pre-security :911:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Remember when the TSA grabbed Penn Jillette's dick? Good times.

Last Thursday I was flying to LA on the Midnight flight. I went through security my usual sour stuff. I beeped, of course, and was shuttled to the "toss-em" line. A security guy came over. I assumed the position. I had a button up shirt on that was untucked. He reached around while he was behind me and grabbed around my front pocket. I guess he was going for my flashlight, but the area could have loosely been called "crotch." I said, "You have to ask me before you touch me or it's assault."

He said, "Once you cross that line, I can do whatever I want."

I said that wasn't true. I say that I have the option of saying no and not flying. He said, "Are you going to let me search you, or do I just throw you out?"

I said, "Finish up, and then call the police please."

When he was finished with my shoes, he said, "Okay, you can go."

I said, "I'd like to see your supervisor and I'd like LVPD to come here as well. I was assaulted by you."

He said, "You're free to go, there's no problem."

I said, "I have a problem, please send someone over."

They sent a guy over and I said that I'd like to register a complaint. I insisted on his name and badge number. I filled it out with my name. The supervisor, I think trying to intimidate me, asked for my license, and I gave it to him happily as he wrote down information. I kept saying, "Please get the police," and they kept saying, "You're free to go, we don't need the police." I insisted and they got a higher up, female, supervisor. I was polite, cold, and a little funny. "Anyone is welcome to grab my crotch, I don't require dinner and a movie, just ask me. Is that asking too much? You wanna grab my crotch, please ask. Does that seem like a crazy person to you?" I had about 4 of them standing around. Finally Metro PD shows up. It's really interesting. First of all, the cop is a BIG P&T fan and that ain't hurting. Second, I get the vibe that he is WAY sick of these federal leather-sniffers. He has that vibe that real cops have toward renta-cops. This is working WAY to my advantage, so I play it.

The supervisor says to the cop, 'He's free to go. We have no problem, you don't have to be here." Which shows me that the Feds are afraid of local. This is really cool. She says, "We have no trouble and he doesn't want to miss his flight."

I say, "I can take an early morning flight or a private jet. " The cop says, "If I have a citizen who is saying he was assaulted, you can't just send me away."

I tell the cop the story, in a very funny way. The cop, the voice of sanity says, "What's wrong with you people? You can't just grab a guy's crank without his permission." I tell him that my genitals weren't grabbed and the cop says, "I don't care, you can't do that to people. That's assault and battery in my book."

The supervisor says that they'll take care of the security guy. The cop says, "I'm not leaving until Penn tells me to. Now do you want to fill out all the paper work and show up in court, because I'll be right there beside you."

The supervisor says it's an internal matter, and they'll take care of it. "If you want to pursue this, we're going to have to go through the electronic evidence."

I say, "You mean videotape? Yeah, go get it."

She says, "Well, it'll take a long time, and you don't want to miss your flight. We have no problem with you, you're free to go."

The cop says, "Your guy grabbed his crank. That ain't right."

So, I fill out all the paper work and insist on a number to call to register a complaint. She says that I filled out a complaint, and I say, "I want more, give me another number. " She gives me a number that I find out later has been disconnected. I leave. I have a card with the name and number on it and the bad 800 number for the FAA.

My flight is way delayed, so I go to Burger King with Glenn - and all the feds are now off duty and at BK and sneering at us.

The next day the woman in charge of public relations calls me to "do anything to make my McCarran experience more enjoyable." I was a little under the weather with allergies and busy, so I didn't call back until yesterday.

It took some phone tag, but I finally got the woman on the phone. I was very cool and sweet. I explained the problem. "Do you allow your crotch to be grabbed without being asked?" I didn't exaggerate, I said that there was nothing sexual, I wasn't hurt, and it wasn't my genitals. I just said it was wrong. She said "Well, your feedback is really important because most people are afraid of us." She said, "I'd love to meet you so we could clear this up, and everyone wants to meet a celebrity." She said she had watched the videotape and there was no sound, but she saw him reach around. She said she couldn't tell me what was being done to him but . . . and I stopped her and said, she shouldn't do anything wrong.

I said that I had talked to two lawyers and they said it was really a weird case because no one knows if he can be charged with assault and battery while working in that job. But I told her, that some of my lawyer friends really wanted to find out. She said, "Well, we're very new to this job . . ." and I said, "Yeah, so we need these test cases to find out where you stand."

She said, "Well, you know a LOT about this." I said, "Well, it's not really the right word, but freedom is kind of a hobby with me, and I have disposable income that I'll spend to find out how to get people more of it."

She said, "Well, the airport is very important to all of our incomes and we don't want bad press. It'll hurt everyone, but you have to do what you think is right. But, if you give me your itinerary every time you fly, I'll be at the airport with you and we can make sure it's very pleasant for you."

I have no idea what this means, does it mean that they have a special area where all the friskers are topless showgirls, "We have nothing to hide, do you?" I have no idea. She pushes me for the next time I'm flying. I tell her I'm flying to Chicago around 2 on Sunday, if she wants to get that security guy there to sneer at me. She says, she'll be there, and it'll be very easy for me. I have no idea what this means.

I tell her that I'm still thinking about pressing charges, and I don't just care about me, it's freedom in general. I say the only thing that was good about it, was that while they were dealing with me, maybe they weren't beating up people in wheelchairs. It was amazing. All she was trying to do was make me happy. She said she'd burned a CD ROM of my video and it was being sent all around and they were going to change their training. She said, "We're federal employees, we're working for you, you pay us and we want customer satisfaction. It doesn't matter what the law is, we have to make you very happy so your flying experience is a pleasurable one, and most people don't give us this kind of intelligent feedback."

So, that was it. I'm flying on Sunday, I have no idea what will happen. How crazy is this? Do I really have some sort of mysterious VIP status to shut me up? Should I press charges? She said she was going to talk to the cop. I said he didn't see anything. She said, "Well, he may be able to see the forest for the trees, because he was right there." I quoted his "crank" comment and she laughed and then knew that was a very bad sign. I said, "He'll tell you I was polite, cold, angry, and funny" - that's more than should be expected of me. I still don't know what I'm going to do, but my advice to everyone is complain all you can and call the cops. I think it might make a little difference. Maybe you can become a VIP too.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

naem posted:

*Forensic technician in white lab coat enters homeland security command center holding cracked iPhone 5s*

*grim team of detectives siting behind one way mirror staring at suspect handcuffed to metal chair*

"Sir we've reconstructed the last 48 hours of his internet usage, I think you're going to want to see this."

"Put it on the screen captain, let's see what we're dealing with"

*wall size flat screen tv, cursor flashes, words form and run across screen:*

Google search:

_actress name vulcan lady Star Trek

_actress name Vulcan lady Star Trek enterprise

_jolene blalock

_jolene blalock Star Trek

_Jolene blalock jumpsuit

_jolene blalock purple jumpsuit

_jolene blalock purple jumpsuit enterprise

_jolene maxim fhm

_jolene blalock now

_jolene blalock 2018

_t'pol

_t'pol nude

_ Vulcan t'pol Star Trek nude

_jolene blalock nude

_ naked Jolene t'pol Star Trek

_star trek sex scene

_naked t'pol sex scene

_blalock contamination chamber sideboob breast

_naked t'pol blalock breast

this is obviously false, since i use the superior duck duck go search engine

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

AbusePuppy posted:

Ah, yes, all you have to do is find a payphone in this, the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Eighteen. God bless you, noble soul, for your quest is an honorable and just one- may heaven smile on your journey and all the saints sing your praises.

Easy just find a seedy dive bar or Italian American pizzeria

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

3hands posted:

Don't worry OP, you can still make improvised weapons out of stuff you can buy once you get through tsa. Just google it to find out how! :cop:

i love that they take my diet dew but sell both airspray and lighters at the airport rite aid

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

AbusePuppy posted:

Well, if you had that Dew with you, you'd probably be a lot more vulnerable to EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMist beliefs.

[dad laugh]

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

But what about all those jobs that would be lost

i guess they can be telephone sanitizers or travel agents

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
once in dc they had a cop with a table searching bags and he was like "bag search" and i said "no thanks" and kept walking and they didn't do anything :shrug:

in nyc they'll often only do it at one entrance and you can just go in another way but they will force you to do the search or go around

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Pawn 17 posted:

Wonder how this works when the TSA demands the password to a work laptop with classified info on it.

i tell them to eat my rear end under kaufman's clock and call my lawyer

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

OldAlias posted:

it is uncommon but they are able and they do that poo poo, it’s not in your benefit to pretend otherwise. they may be poorly trained and underfunded but there’s loads of privacy invading measures that already happen simply from having your phone on in an airport for national security purposes, like if you lock down all services on a rooted device you can still detect weird baseband activity, it’s trivial to push malicious software from false towers. if you need to, travel with burner electronics

lolwut.

os updates are signed dude. if they can sign fake apple certs they can do it at home too, no baseband poo poo needed

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Rad Russian posted:

If EVERYONE who travels sign up for TSA Pre then it becomes a regular checkpoint with lines. Then they will have to create TSA Pre Platinum for the more exclusive travelers and I'll have to pony up even more money and probably yearly urine/DNA samples. No thx.

actually, when i'm flying at times with lots of business travel (ex: going through at 630 to catch the 8am to DC) i find the normal line much shorter than precheck lmfao

i get the freedom grope (opt out baby) and im usually through in 20 min

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
well i took my phone to defcon so if it was going to get buttowned it is already :shrug:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

food court bailiff posted:

wait is gagelion actually maskenfreiht

no

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Thin Privilege posted:

It’s also funny that there is absolutely no consistency. On the way to somewhere, my prescription face creams, with prescription label attached, went through fine, but on the way back, the lady scrutinized it like crazy. It’s a small tube 1/10th the size of the allowed liquid thing, and it says on there what it is! It’s also obviously used. Sure you can make the comment “well some terrorist could put some chemical in there” but then why wasn’t it scrutinized at the other airport?

I’m also surprised they don’t gently caress with me more cause I have a bunch of tattoos and piercings. Usually that makes me a target of negative attention.

medical limits have no limit. you can even bring nonprescription things through like dayquil as long as theyre in the original packaging. if they give you poo poo ask for a three stripe

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Moon Atari posted:

When i was younger, and only a year or two after 9/11, I was mid-flight when i opened my carry on bag to get something and realised i had forgotten to remove my shaving supplies (an entire box of razors), and a bag of about 10 aerosol deodorants my grandma had given me. My bag had been checked by security but they somehow missed it all. This was in Australia though, where security is less extreme and the people conducting the checks more likely to only be semi-conscious.

i once flew for two years with a swiss army knife i thought i lost in my bag. my backpack was one of those amazon basics one with a poo poo load of pockets

a tsa guy in sf kept sending the bag through and searching saying there's a knife. he was already triggered by my lock picks and laser (both allowed). he showed me it in front of the supervisor and offered to let me mail it (i think they thought i was a weirdo sovcit due to my abbie hoffman shirt).

i was like oh holy poo poo, i'm so sorry, i lost that two years ago i've already bought a new one and he was like "you've been flying with this for two years?! :eyepop:". i told him he can have it if he wants and that seemed to perk him up :shrug:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Internetjack posted:

I was on an Alaskan Airlines flight a couple years after 9/11. At that time they were serving complimentary Alaskan Beer.
So I took one, and was handed a full-sized 16 oz glass bottle of beer. Huh.
Towards the end of the flight, the hostess comes around and asks me if I'd like to finish another half bottle they poured from. Sure.
So now I have two of these large glass bottles. I'm thinking how ridiculous this is, I could smash the things together and have some pretty dangerous weapons. I mention it to the lady next to me. She pulls out her knitting needles, foot-long titanium needles, not necessarily sharpened, but definitely stabby. She says cause she's an airline employee, traveling for personal, she gets a pass on bringing them through.

Such a loving joke.

there was a long period you could order a steak at the airport and get a massive knife til some dhole journalist tweeted about it now they only give lovely butter knives

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-knives-at-airport-restaurants-20141128-story.html

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Last summer I flew 1st class from Atlanta to San Diego, and they gave me a bafflingly sharp knife for my meal. Like the tip wasn't sharp, but it could really slash the poo poo out of someone.

I guess rich people can't be terrorists.

it's bullshit theater since the reason they banned then is the terrorists on 9/11 slashed some throats to get the pilots to open the cockpit.

no pilot post 9/11 would do it, hell no passenger post 9/11 would let them get close enough to get in even if they were so inclined

ironically they've strengthened the cockpits so much that when a suicidal pilot locket out his copilot during his bathroom break, he was able to crash the plane and kill everyone :shrug:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanwings_Flight_9525#Cause_of_crash

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
better idea: take edibles then find out at denver there's one long rear end security line for the entire airport, so they hit in line and you're freaking out but you still opt out of the bodyscanner and the tsa guys all know and are pissed so they tear your bag apart but there's nothing in it

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Earwicker posted:

tsa doesnt generally give a gently caress about weed at all unless they think you are carrying a very large quantity. especially since the whole west coast is legal now anyway

but if they see it their hands are tied if it's not just one person who sees it.

it's my understanding organics come up a certain color that' the same as some bomb stuff.

now, all that will happen at most is they'll call local police, who either will shrug or in some places there's a specific law against bringing it to the airport and you'd get a mild ticket, but it'll still be a whole thing

one fun fact i saw reading an article though: they don't have a field test for edibles. so if it's out of the package they can't prove it's a drug :getin:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Earwicker posted:

weed on an xray doesnt look a whole lot different from tobacco or many other plant based food products. edibles that look like a chocolate bar or mints or whatever are going to show up as a chocolate bar or mints (but yes take them out of their wrapper). oil vape pens look just like ecigarettes. also the people doing the xrays have no idea where you are flying, if you are in LA you could be flying to Seattle which is a trip that involves no illegal states. even though yes its technically its still illegal federally for the most part they just dont give a gently caress about weed anymore unless you are doing something really obvious or are moving a large amount

i often get extra thorough searches due to travelling with a bunch of music equipment that has bunch of cables and things that freak out tsa and have been given a lot more grief for that stuff than for a vape pen. but on that front tsa isnt nearly as bad as some other countries

can you fly with "ejuice"? or will they REEEEE it's a liquid

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

marijuanamancer posted:

@ the guy mailing weed, that is a federal felony. If they say 'hey you can't have that past here!' at DIA , i throw it in the trash and go about my day. Nerd

they can't prove YOU mailed it if you're smart about it. just hold the package a couple days and if they show up at your house say a package you didn't order arrived and you haven't opened it yet

they're also not allowed to search us mail w/o a warrant

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

its all nice on rice posted:

TSA thought the fudge I had in my carry on was plastic explosive. Crack team, they was.

but they never found the fudge you'd packed deep, deep in your butt ;)

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Earwicker posted:

yes as long as the cartridge or container is smaller than the limit for liquids, which is currently 3.4 ounces

ahh they used to be anal about the whole "all your liquids go in a quart bag" rule, i guess they dont really enforce that anymore

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
maybe they're just salty i opt out and looking for ways to gently caress with me

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Earwicker posted:

if that security area is crowded or understaffed at that time it will for sure annoy them

That's The Point

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Smythe posted:

so was richard stallman lmfao

did he "i told you so" everyone after meltdown/spectre?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Earwicker posted:

ok well then i take back what i said about the tsa not giving a poo poo about weed, if you are the kind of traveller who intentionally annoys tsa people then yeah they are going to find a reason to gently caress with you and its probably not a good idea to carry weed

but you could also maybe not be that kind of traveller because intentionally putting tsa people in a bad mood is kind of lovely for everyone else who's going through security

if exercising my rights "annoys" them enough to harass people, they should be fired and replaced.

i never had ANY issues with opt outs when i flew out of DCA, it's almost like they understood that it's a good idea to not get a bug up your rear end when people ask you to do your job and your management is down the road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Smythe posted:

i wonder about the airport sometimes. i hate the airport. i hate the mall. everyone hates the mall now, thats why theyre dying and being replaced with fake mainstreet type things like The Grove or Third Street Promenade in LA whcih is like a mall but outside and kitschy. here is my q:
when did airports become the mall? who is making money off this? does 1 big rear end company manage a gently caress ton of airport malls? did some gently caress like dick cheney or whatever turn them into security prison fuckmalls just so he could make some cash renting to and managing an orange julius with or hot dog on a stick? like i get it, its a captive audience, good target - but who is making all the money from subjecting us poor fuckers to being literally trapped in the worst mall of all time?? ??

imagine a world where there was stuff at the airport that wasn't a mall store. like if there was greenspace. fresh air. a place to hang out and just chill without having poo poo shilled at you from all angles at all times.

why isnt there a movie theatre in the air port for ppl with long rear end layovers? (because ppl wouldnt shop while watching duh) but like... why is the airport so terrible? ??

also gently caress the tsa they jacked my drat vape right outa my checked baggage. prob thot it was weed or whatever but it was just a pos vape with 3% juice. enjoy bitches

some airports do have movie theaters and stuff (ex singapore)

as for the mall thing, people are on a limited timetable and can't ship stuff as easily to hotels /international which means if they forgot something they need to buy it, and often are willing to pay a slight markup, making such shops highly profitable

• Locked thread