Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
You're doing the lord's work. I tried reading this after listening to the I Don't Even Own A Television & 372 Pages podcasts but gave up 3/4 of the way in.

So not only does this chucklefuck drive that eyesore but he also deliberately goes over the speed limit just so he can get pulled over and written a ticket for doing 88mph.

Also with the movie coming out the latest copies of the book are being sold with this cover

leeeeeeegs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

quote:

At this school, the only real weapons were words, so I’d become skilled at wielding them.

The beginning of the same loving paragraph posted:

The ability to mute my peers was one of my favorite things

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Yeah, more and more people are spending increasing amounts of time in this immersive simulation to the detriment of their real lives but it's been *medically proven* to not be addictive, guys.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Vice president of OASIS, actually but I don't we've gotten to the bit that covers this.

And if Wade's reaction to this recent destructive event annoys you, just wait a bit. Oh, just wait.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I'm wondering if they kept in Aech's trademark "Cheshire grin" and what it'd look like on a face like that.

Also wondering: why. Why, god, why.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
It's weird but when Cline describes his super-cuzstomized Delorean all I can think of is the car Homer Simpson designed for his half-brother's company

Just a Frankensteinian mishmash of "Cool" things thrown together with no thought for how it all looks together.

I wonder why an entire planet used for schools is prohibited from PVP while a popular social zone isn't. Just seems inconsistent.

And I hate everything that's been in the last two posts. At least that's consistent.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Oh dear, is the music of the popular English group WHAM! not to your tastes, Mr Watched Every Episode Of Family Ties Multiple Times?

Oh and all that other stuff, been waiting for that to pop up. I'm sure all the die hard RP1 fans will riot if the movie Wade doesn't suddenly start looking like the Engineer from Prometheus.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
So basically it could have been a good book if someone else wrote it. I could get behind that.

Going back to something else, we're told IOI getting control of the Oasis would be bad because they would charge lots of money for everything, as opposed to the current situation where everything costs lots of money... ?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
It's been said elsewhere I think, but in a VR system where your most basic level of interaction is with a helmet and gloves, making the player traverse distances by walking is a loving terrible idea.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Man, Dr Zaius really let himself go.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

colonialism.jpg

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
If only you'd written that while 372 Pages was covering this, you could have been featured in their "Real Or Fanfiction" segment.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
So uh, how about that guy who had a piece of computer hardware installed in his scrotum.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I saw an AMA on reddit a while back and you cannot imagine my surprise and disbelief that Ernest Cline actually had an editor.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
:drat:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I'm assuming it involves Drizzt somehow.

Having Wade think people look like their avatar and then being surprised/angry that they do/don't look like their avatar would make less sense in the movie where pretty much nobody resembles their avatar. You've got people going around as Spartans and Overwatch characters, Art3mis is a pixie girl, even Wade himself is an Anime.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Yet he's able to look up the customer's inventory.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
So that's the climax of what's been called "Willy Wonka Meets The Matrix." Hmm yes, I can see the resemblance if neither Neo or Charlie needed to have a profound moment of understanding or demonstrate their quality of character, just straight up given their reward, no questions asked.

Someone else took a stab at "Ready Player One But For Girls"

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/excerpts-from-my-upcoming-novel-ready-player-two-girl-stuff

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Ready Player Bone

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Of course she'd say he's ugly, as of that moment he's pale, completely hairless and I doubt those ear wounds have had time to heal up fully. I'm surprised her first words meeting him weren't "Jesus christ, Jesus loving christ."

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
You know it would have been nice to know what songs and poems Wade learned about kissing from. What year were they? Were they in the Almanac? When did he find the time to study them in between marathon sessions of Joust and Family Ties? Don't get coy with your references now, Ernie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Every time someone talks about the movie I learn something new about how terrible it is.

• Locked thread