Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I've read Neuromancer. Neuromancer is an exceptionally good book. RPO, sir, is no Neuromancer.
It's easy to make this an appropriate insult if you read only the first ~5 pages of Neuromancer, which are comprised of 100% virtually unreadable author-masturbatory jargon. (The rest of the book is a fine book, but the beginning is loving atrocious.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I wrote a simulator for a universe with those dimensions, it was easy. You can even play in it. But it's single player, first-person view, and the universe is completely empty other than the player. You can play it by turning off your monitor.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

It seems weird to me that people in this thread are like "this book is poo poo and stupid, how did it get so popular?!"
The answer is pretty much in the question. Large numbers of people are poo poo and stupid, and like poo poo, stupid things.
For example, Captain America: Civil War made more money than Watchmen. Cap isn't a badly made movie, but it is a very well-made stupid poo poo movie for the masses.
Cline managed to tap into this market by being, himself, a poo poo, stupid person, and writing what he knows. A book for people who wouldn't normally read a book.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

iospace posted:

"MTFBWYA"?
See this is what happens when Cline doesn't explicitly explain every loving reference. He misses just one, and now it's all "what is this I don't get it" from the audience. :colbert:

Edit: If he'd done this in the style of the rest of the book it would have been like
MTFBWYA - this is an acronym for "may the force be with you, always" which Obi Wan Kenobi says in a Star War. I was confident that Art3m1s would understand the reference because it is a good one for people who know eighties things.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 17, 2018

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The idea of reciting every line was so painful it derailed everything and it never got back on track.
The horrifying thing to me about that Wargames thing is that I can absolutely believe that there would be a market for that poo poo as a game. It's essentially what Guitar Hero and its ilk were doing - the game is "mimic exactly what you're told to mimic, in time with a song you're familiar with, and have perfect timing", but now applied to movies. Easy mode get the subtitles in advance of your lines karaoke style, hard mode do it from memory. Play with friends! Everyone do as friend computer says!

quote:

culminating in the game demanding Wade murder Halliday‘s ex business partner
That's brilliant. Also, "The One Game", a miniseries on British TV years ago, was pretty close to being this.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Angry Salami posted:

One of the many weirdly terrible things about the book, though, is that he doesn't seem to know which are the obscure references that people won't get and which aren't. Like, at one point, he explains who Luke Skywalker is. Dude! People know that one!
I almost have some sympathy for that, in that it kind of establishes that the narrator character is from a future and is writing towards an audience who might not know the things. But then I realize that "narrator character is a douche" kind of excuses the entire writing style, and I don't want that, so let's just stick with the Cline is terrible interpretation.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Memento posted:

Portal came out in 2007 and was completely dead as a meme by early 2009.
So you're saying the accuracy would be on par with RPO's.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Young Freud posted:

It would have been hilarious if that got brought up in the ending: technically, Wade was working for GSS as a contractor and thus invalidated himself from the prize.
Luckily it was under a false identity that he also subsequently deleted all record of, so it would be more of a thing Aech or Artemis could blackmail him with later.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

quote:

I grabbed the sword and used it to slay all three of the dragons.
This is the perfect microcosm of Cline-style.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

(which does the Terminator's thumbs up as it sinks into lava).
That was a vastly better handled reference than anything in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

King Kong: millions of players yet no one ever considered how to fool King Kong by distraction, or ditched a vehicle for King Kong himself and rode the giant ape to glory, or even somehow mucked with the code to invoke 1986’s King Kong Lives and fell old banana breath with a literal broken heart!
I'm curious how, in this story, Kong couldn't be defeated by a big stream of cars all making it that far in the same race. He can't pick them up and fling them that fast, the animation we saw doesn't have the speed for that. Does he just stick his hand on the track blocking the entire track? And then also stick his rear end on there when some of the cars in the stream start jumping higher than a Kong-hand?

At some point the unfairness of the Kong-blocking would become so obvious that nobody would be trying anything but shenanigans.

• Locked thread