Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Ah, gently caress it I'll sign up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

This is me this game.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Totally correct. Found out my roommate hasn't seen dbz yesterday. Told him to watch Kai. Super is the best dragonball property though, foreal.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Fittypoundsofbroccoli#6000

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Goku, is that you? We have got to stop this guy while we have the chance. He's... he's pure evil!

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

##vote lumpen

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Mord is an awful lynch. The most scummy cases itt are cases on mord right now.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

This would be a really strong gambit coming from lumpen.

It would also be exactly what he would do as town.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

The reason it would be strong is that it takes advantage of his meta without cashing in on it.

Frankly I'm unlikely to end today with my vote on lumpen, but I want to be clear that him being scum isn't out of the question.

The flavor argument isn't good, but it's not definitely wrong, and sure as he'll isn't indicative of scum mord.

I would be highly surprised if mord was scum given his posting. If lumpen was scum, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

I'm likely to pick one of the people throwing suss at mord and slam down a vote on them.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Information is for babies, let's fly by the seat of our pants.

## vote asiina

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Yeah sure, go with that.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I could just make something up for everyone to panic about if you guys want.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Yeah, but asiina is scum, so there's that.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

And now he's one of us.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Because your scum latching onto an easy target with an argument that you know is unlikely to be correct.

I'm very comfortable with my vote on you.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

The argument that suggesting information lynching is scummy is bad.

You're scum though so I don't feel like I need to explain this to you.

Mord cases are all based off of random perceived scummy actions that aren't scummy. This is the kind of person that is really easy to case as scum and fall back on "oh well the lovely mafia 101 book I read said that was scummy."

Problem is, you're mafia 101 book isn't written by me, THE KING OF MAFIA.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Bullshit. Androids are scum, but it's possible that there are non-scum androids. That's what makes lumpens move good as scum. Because if he were a town android, he would claim it for sure. Lumpen play is good as either town or scum, that's the point. Mord isn't right necessarily that lumpen being android makes him scum, but pointing it out as a strong possibility isn't scummy in the slightest.

All it does is open him up to exactly the cases that are being thrown at him. Easy basic cases like this are so fake.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

grand theft grotto posted:

I feel like information lynching seems like something a town player could want plausibly suggest for the first day. Nobody has any real information or prior actions to go on, so unless town and scum are a 50/50 split, it's more likely than not that a town player will be first to go. If that's the case, the idea of lynching someone who has made a bold claim as to their exact character identity purely for information seems reasonable in that it could tell us something about the game, and if we catch a scum player in the process, then it's a bonus.

What the heck yo, this isn't a place for rationality? Didn't you get the memo, taking a rational position that contradicts the lovely mafia 101 book is scummy!

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

No, you are voting for him for suggesting an information lynch based on flavor arguments.

That's not a scummy action, but opens up an easy case, which is what you are posting. It's a safe case that people that aren't THE KING OF MAFIA won't call you on.

The other part of your case is his assumption there are multiple scum teams. Why is that scummy? It's a common thing in a game this size. Is it gospel? Hell no, but making assumptions like that isn't scummy

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Have fun with this then. I am town and have role based information that the scum are at least primarily androids.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

GeneX posted:

I believe this

I feel the thread quieting down after I dropped that might be telling.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Mord wants to use the flavor argument. It's entirely possible there are town androids, but the majority of scum will be androids.

Mord can be wrong and town. Lumpen can be an android and town.

Putting it between the two is a false dichotomy. If you guys insist that is our decision I would rather vote lumpen. It's more likely that the mord part of this lynch is being pushed by scum.

I want to get asiina.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I don't find anything mord has done as scummy. Lumpen only scummy post is suggesting he would vote me, because he is one of the few people that has a good radar for me and it's unlike him to throw suspicion on me this early when I am town.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I'm gonna destructo disk the poo poo out of someone if people don't start being better at this.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Crazyeyes posted:

Who would you most likely think to target?

Oh, I would vig asiina in a second if I had one. I'm wholly convinced she is scum this game.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

People are saying they don't get my asiina vote so I'll try to make it clear.

Her initial vote is based off his flavor case.

Her followup is saying lynching for information is bad. (Generally is, but it's a common suggestion made regardless of alignment.)

As well as her suggesting that him betting on more than one scumteam to be indicative of outside information.

These are easy, simplistic arguments that are difficult to argue against as they are completely WIFOM in nature. This kind of case is easy to put out there as a seemingly major contribution to discussion without putting ones neck out. If the case turns out to be wrong, there is little to no blowback.

It is unlikely a case like this would be used as a bus technique so I would say it's safe to assume asiina and mord do not share a scum alignment, and I while I find mords argument likely to be wrong, being that it is entirely possible for there to be town androids. I find it to not be a scummy train of thought. However I find asiinas assertion that mords actions are scummy to be far too shallow of reasoning to make a serious case off of.

Too many layers of WIFOM for that case to be remotely strong, and the fact she seems to be satisfied with leaning on this as her primary contribution for the day feels to me like someone putting out the guise of contribution while still attempting to blend behind safe opinions that nobody will fault her for.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

GeneX posted:

Hmm.

What are your thoughts on the other people voting for Mord?
The other two people voting mord right now (gtg didn't hold their unvote) are rhjamiz and Willie Dee.

Willie see seems to be getting their bearings for mafia in general, it's difficult for me to have an opinion on them until they get into the rythym of the game more.

Rhjamiz has a different approach to the case than asiina, and it's one I feel is fairly safe, but also better. Their point is that when questioned, mord doubled down on what they perceived to be a weaker part of the case, then proceeded to backpedal when he received real pressure.

This is a far stronger case, and I would find the mord case more worthy if it was based off of this point. However, I feel that the easier approach taken by asiina and seemingly parroted by multiple people, reeks of scum manipulation. Because I think asiina and mord cannot be scum together, and that asiina is by far the scummier of the two, this argument has fallen to the backburner for me.

I will write up the people who have already unvoted mord in a bit, I need to run to the store.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Xad first.

Xads vote was a jokevote, so it's not their accusation of mord but rather their defense of both mord and lumpen combined with their claim. I find this to be the most town outlook of the situation given the information they have claimed.

Not only does xads flavorclaim make me believe them, but it also makes me believe lumpen. While I believe a flavormiller would be a strong scum gambit for lumpen, I do not think he did it here because of xads claim.

This claim makes me think the following is the case. Movie androids were thrown in as a distraction for us, while the androids from the series are the likely scumteam.

The two things that lead me to this fact are xad and lumpen combined claims combined with the flavor I was given as my character which heavily hints towards the series androids being scum.

After analyzing xad, I believe the two claimed androids to be likely town.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Jeabus next.

Jeabus is another jokevote, but their reactions to the situation deserve comment.

They correctly point out two major points that I completely agree with.

First, mord is more likely scum than lumpen given info that we have. Mainly xad corroborating the claim.

The second is that mords aggressive insistence on flavor arguments being putting his neck out too far for scum. This point is WIFOM, but I think is more likely to be true than not. This is also the complete contrary to rhjamiz case, which is the other side of that WIFOM, however gains power if it's to be perceived mord backed off after receiving pressure.

I do not find any cases against jeabus compelling at all, because I can see a clear train of thought with no perceived calculated wordsmithing.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Tobbs is currently the most scummy next to asiina at this point in my heavy examination.

His initial reasoning is the straight idea a flavorcase is scummy. I have tried to explain why I find this a bad reason for voting someone.

His followup that my defense of mord makes mord less scummy is flat silly. If my actions were the suspect ones he should have changed gears to me, as it's far more likely scum (which is what his secondary accusation of me was) would be the defender regardless of the alignment of the defended.

Him sticking to mord instead is safer, which makes me lean scum on him.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Birdstrike posted:

Are you seriously suggesting that Jeabus’ idea to vote Lumpen for flavour/setup reasons regardless of his alignment is a town move?

No, but saying it is tempting is honest and a completely healthy town perspective to consider. I considered it, because if I had a meta similar to lumpens, I would easily see that as a power play to avoid town actions.

Him being honest about considering it, and not acting on it is far more townie than people piling on him because of a straight train of thought post.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

AA says a few things I don't like. Mainly his suspicion of both mord and lumpen. His suspicion of lumpen is based off of a perceived oddness in the claim. I don't disagree that the claim could have at that point been a gambit, but the instantaneous suspicion on mord, despite the gambit requiring a flavor component seems very odd.

His further elaboration seems to be an essential rehash of asiinas case, which I clearly find scummy.

However, it seemed to me as though AA later rethink his position, moving past the false dichotomy that had been projected partially by himself. I find this to be honest reflection.

I'm in the middle of the road as far as AA is concerned.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Birdstrike posted:

I’m not sure it was honest, scums have a tendency to raise points to try and get town cred but not commit to votes

Considering a flavor lynch to gain town cred? Do you really believe that?

I think occams razor might be helpful here.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I don't have a lot to say about rock rather than I think their approach is consistent with a free flowing train of thought style posting that a newer player would latch onto easily.

I do not currently suspect rock at all.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Birdstrike posted:

More like participating without wanting to be pinned to a position

I disagree that such a bold statement would be useful for this tactic.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

We disagree here Bird, information votes are always controversial. I don't see a logical situation where a controversial post like that is useful for blending. It's much more likely to be train of thought, which tends to be a town trait, and is far more reliable than theoretical scumtells in the shape of universally scummy moves.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I never responded to lumpen about him saying him pulling his claim as a gambit being a bad play, so im going to do that now.

Lumpen, if you and I were to trade accounts for a game and I were to roll scum, I would immediately pull that kind of gambit specifically because your meta would make it a powerful gambit. I would expect it to pull town power roles away from me, while offering a long lasting shield of WIFOM.

We play very differently though, so I understand you thinking it would be a bad move.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Asiina posted:

I actually looked at this, and presumably this is Tobbs post you're talking about :

He doesn't say that you defending Mord makes Mord less scummy, but that there's no logical reason to defend Mord so hard when he's done nothing to earn that town cred.

This looks like another made up case from fitty.

In this particular case I meant to say more rather than less. The context of the post should be indicative of that error.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Asiina posted:

This is an actual WIFOM argument (would Mord have drawn so much attention to himself on a flavour argument as scum) but because you agree with the conclusion, it's okay? Are "difficult to refute" cases scummy or not? You're not being internally consistent here.

Pointing out an argument that I have stated is WIFOM and considering it inconsistent because I said your WIFOM is scummy, is ridiculous. Your WIFOM seems to have an intentional purpose, mine comes from a position that doesn't advance my game state. If this isn't your way of thinking as scum, and you don't plan your actions ahead, then i have sorely overestimated your skill as a scum player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

The simple suggestion that a flavor argument is scummy is indeed WIFOM. Would a scum come forth with something like that knowing it is controversial or would they pick a safer argument?

Whether a scum would speculate on multiple scumteam is also WIFOM. Would a scum speculate on multiple scumteams because of their information, or would they keep it closer to their chests?

Both arguments you have made are major risks a scum player would need to take to push a narrative. Perhaps I look into broader situations when I consider the wine in front of me, but neither are less WIFOM in my opinion.

Your dismissal of my case and further attempts at discreditation only further solidify my opinion.

You are pushing a narrative in a situation where I am questioning your narrative, despite us theoretically being in an equal state of information.

• Locked thread