Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I like Dragon Ball Z but I hate Mafia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Realtalk: If you haven't watched Dragon Ball Z, watch Dragon Ball Z Kai. If you watched Dragon Ball Z on Toonami as a teenager like me, watch Dragon Ball Z Kai. In Kai, they take DBZ and cut out all the crappy filler. For comparison's sake DBZKai's Frieza arc is about 25 episodes from the point where they are journeying to Namek to the end. The original DBZ arc was about 75 episodes.

Basically Dragon Ball Z Kai is the Dragon Ball Z you think you remember.

Also, listen to the "All Systems Goku" companion podcast that Jeff Gerstmann and Dan Ryckert of Giant Bomb are doing. They just got to the point where they met the Ginyu Force.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Do I need to understand DBZ to play? I never watched it.

See my previous post.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Mordiceius

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

NO TEXT CHANNELS

You find yourself in a strange place. You don't have access to any text channels, or there are none on this server.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

gently caress. I wanted to be Yajirobe.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I daycopped Lumpen. He is scum.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Monathin posted:

I got either the best or worst character, depending on how you look at it.

Anyway as usual I must start with ##vote Sal, he knows what he did

Damnit. I sad that I wanted to be Yajirobe!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I’m going to be on set for the new two days. So I can’t promise a bunch of posts during the day, but I’ll try to contribute at night.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAB8dNMoXZ0

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Good morning.

https://twitter.com/chiahak/status/977111456830361600

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

Wonderful to hear Android 18

Scumbo post.

##vote SalTheBard

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I will lol if this is a cult game and you get recruited because of this.

Honestly with the theme being Androids, I wouldn’t be surprised if Cell is a character (SK) whose win condition is to absorb all of the androids.

With that in mind I would not be opposed to lynching Lumpen. If there is a Cell character, Lumpen just exposed himself as a target.

And also because he’s a bad sport.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

chaoslord posted:

Probably not a cult game, Lumpen likely just got one of the good androids

Well, if we are talking “android” saga only, there are no “good” androids. If we are doing “android + cell” sagas, then Lumpen outing himself makes him a liability.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

GeneX posted:

makes Lumpen look like town

I disagree. It’s day one, so we don’t have much action-wise to work from, so I’m going to build the flavor case for Lumpen.

In the Android saga (I’m going to include the Cell saga in this) of DBZ, there are six main androids.

Android 16
Android 17
Android 18
Android 19
Android 20
Cell

Android 20 is the android conversion of Dr. Gero, the creator of all of the androids. He wants Goku and the Z Fighters dead due to Goku wiping out the Red Ribbon Army. He’s killed by Android 17.

Android 19 is just a boring lovely android that is subservient to Dr. Gero. He is killed first, by Vegeta.

Androids 17/18 are humans converted to android. They turn on Dr. Gero when he demands their complete obedience or face death. They are antagonists to the Z Fighters. They are both absorbed my Cell.

Android 16 is a full android. He is considered the most reckless and dangerous. His only mission is to kill Goku. He is awoken by 17/18, to the protest of Dr. Gero. He is killed by Cell.

Cell is a time traveling android from the future. He is created from the cells of the universe’s strongest fighters. He absorbs 17/18, and kills 16. He is killed by Gohan.

None of these people are the “good guys.” The only way it would make sense for one android to be Town is if they are all Town and the Z Fighters are actually a scum team. But that wouldn’t make sense in a game this size imo.

So my flavor guess would be: Androids 16/17/18/19/20 are a scum team. Cell is a super powered serial killer. The only other way I could see it split are a 16/17/18 scum team and a 19/20 scum team.

There is literally no way for an android to be Town.

On thing also to consider: in a game this size, it is very common to have multiple scum teams. Scum can take advantage of this because they can make an honest effort to scum hunt and appear as Town by hunting the other scum team.

Unless Lumpen does something incredible to convince me otherwise, I will not be moving my vote.

##vote Lumpen

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Somebody didn't watch the Tournament of Power

Tournament of Power isn’t the Android Saga. :colbert:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I don't think flavor is important. My flavor is unambiguously a villain in the show and I'm town.

Lumpen's straightforward attitude reads town to me, and jumping in with a giant flavor case you're not going to budge from looks extremely scummy to me.

##vote Mordiceius

Hrm. I didn’t play the last DBZ game but someone said the Z Fighters were a scum team. Wonder if it is the same case here.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

grand theft grotto posted:

Judging from the context of what's been posted so far I just wanted to confirm: We're more or less supposed to keep our characters a secret as well as our roles, right? I mentioned it in my signup post but I haven't played a mafia game before, so I don't want to mess up and blow it right from the start.

Generally, you want to keep it secret as long as necessary. And NEVER copy/paste your role information as provided by the mod.

If you are Town and you reveal too early, you become a target (or if vanilla town, make others a target). If you are scum, naturally you don’t want people to know who you are, though most mods provide a selection of “safe” fake claims.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Lumpen posted:

Reactions of several people suggest that they are probably NOT similarly numbered Town Vanilla androids, at least: Mordiceius, Jeabus, and GeneX.

I’m Town, but I’m not an Android, which is why I find it hard to believe an Android would be Town.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Lumpen posted:

Mord this paragraph above sticks out in your post because it is a completely disconnected thought, as far as I can see, from the rest of the post. Can you explain the relevance? What did you mean by including that?

Because I’ve seen multiple big games (most recently Final Fantasy 6) where scum quickly are assumed to be town because they were actually scum hunting a different scum team.

There are a lot of new players in this game. And with a game of this size, I’m going to be loving shocked if there is only one scum team. I just wanted to issue a reminder that in a game like this, being a good and/or successful scum hunter does not mean someone is Town.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

GeneX posted:

I'd rather not lynch anyone for flavor reasons until we have flips that help us figure out what specific permutation of the flavor is in play, assuming for the moment that nat 20 couldn't resist connecting flavor to mechanics

Just because I think we should lynch Lumpen today does not mean we should not be seeking out other possibilities. When it comes down to it, it just doesn’t make sense, for me at least, for that claim to be Town.

And in the case he is Town, he claimed vanilla Town so it is loss that we can deal with since we aren’t losing a power role. It would also be a very elucidating flip to help us better understand how flavor, if at all, is connected to the game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

GeneX posted:

so you're suspecting an sk, a 2 man scumteam, and a 4 person second scumteam?

that sounds stupid and unbalanced

It depends on win conditions. Those numbers don’t honestly sound unbalanced at all. The scum teams would end up hitting each other and it’s not just townies who die.

In Final Fantasy 6 mafia (granted, a different mod) there were like 20 Town, a 6 man scum team with a usurper/SK, a 2 man SK team, and a 4man non Town team that won when the 6 man team was gone but didn’t care about the SK team.

No reason this game couldn’t be equally if not more weird.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

GeneX posted:

most deaths will, presumably, help us understand if/how flavor matters

Not necessarily. If a lynch happens and it is Yamcha, Town Vanilla, that will tell us very little about flavor.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

“You can’t make flavor arguments in Mafia!! :argh:” is an outdated way of thinking that needs to be forgotten.

Games that are heavily based in established universes are drat well subject to flavor arguments.

I’m not going to “Marvel Mafia” and put Captain America and The Red Skull on the same team.

If a game is set using an established universe but the flavor completely disregards the universe (instead of just playing fast and loose with it), why even have the flavor game to begin with?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Xad posted:

I disagree, that would tell us that Androids are not town, most likely.

Right now we're assuming either Androids are town and scum team is Goku and friends, or that good guys are good guys and scum is some Androids or something.

If everyone who's claimed is telling the truth, I'm leaning towards the former, but pretty much any flip would tell us something unless it's 3p. Someone flipping Yamaha would tell us that the scum team is NOT Goku, Vegeta, etc

It brings up the problem of people who fall outside of “Androids” and “Z Fighters”.

My character is not a Z Fighter, but not a villain either, and I’m town. Tobbs claimed to be mecha-Frieza and town. I’m more inclined to believe mecha-Frieza as town than a single android as town.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Dancer posted:

The recent Westworld was a really good example for this. You're doing flavor mafia becase flavor powers are fun. Having the power to mess with someone's personality settings fits really well in the westworld universe, and is enjoyable. What if, at the same time, you don't want to bring in lovely outside-of-the-game arguments, that not even everyone might understand because they lack the context?

Sounds like a good reason for more people to watch DBZ Kai.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Lumpen posted:

I agree with Monathin, Asiina's analysis is good. It fits with the strangeness of the seemingly inconsistent part I asked Mord to elaborate on.

My first impression of More's case was that it seemed like an understandable knee-jerk wrong conclusion to jump to and get overexcited about, given the Mod-provided flavor. I did not expect Mord to cling hard and double down on it, and now it seems a lot less plausibly sincere. He's willfully ignoring the behavioral data to latch on to flavor, and that's an easy move for Scum. He does not seem to be really thinking about my alignment, but instead whether his flavor case is airtight enough to can give him plausible deniability for "being wrong".

I haven’t removed my vote from you because currently, I don’t have anyone else I’d be comfortable voting for (and also we’re so far from Lynch and Day’s end that I’m comfortable with it sitting there).

But what bothers me is that you were so loving willing to come out with your claim initially.

However, you had mention the flavor in the OP directly positions the androids as the antagonists, which just makes all of this more confusing.

And Asiina - this is a large game. Sure it could be one giant scum team, but I go into large games with the assumption it is more than just one Town team and one scum team and nothing else. IMHO that doesn’t make for as exciting a large game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

GeneX posted:

And you thought it was worth mentioning out of the blue...why?

I don't disagree, but, uh, that's something you bring up after people are analyzing flips, yeah?

Mordiceius posted:

Because I’ve seen multiple big games (most recently Final Fantasy 6) where scum quickly are assumed to be town because they were actually scum hunting a different scum team.

There are a lot of new players in this game. And with a game of this size, I’m going to be loving shocked if there is only one scum team. I just wanted to issue a reminder that in a game like this, being a good and/or successful scum hunter does not mean someone is Town.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Double post.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

GeneX posted:

Yes, I understand why it was brought up, and fundamentally agree that the game is big enough that we can't clear people for hunting scum, even more so than in smaller games.

I'm questioning why you appended it to your long flavor argument about how every android is scum.

Because I was speculating ways that it would be possible for the androids could be split across multiple scum teams. Cell is an android. It would make any sense for him to be aligned with anyone else. 17/18 are both androids, but they could be a pair of scum on their own as they never really had any allegiance to Dr Gero (Android 20).

Basically, my point was that if you use ~*~*~flavor~*~*~, it doesn't make any sense for an android to be town. But that also doesn't mean that all of the androids would be aligned.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If I get lynched early in a game again after FF6 Mafia I’m going to be so pissed off. Especially when I had pegged the biggest threat to that game and no one listened.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Really though it seem like you’re going to need to claim to get out of this one or explain why flavor does in fact matter but then again that’ll likely require a claim to do so

Bad post.

I’ll claim if I get close to lynch, but right now there are 3 votes for me when the day requires 14. I have zero interest in claiming right now.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The last thing I am gong to say wrt flavor - unless the mod had said that original show flavor means nothing (he didn’t). Flavor is important.

At the moment, I am calling Lumpen’s bluff that he is vanilla town.

If this was a game where the mod said “I just wanted to create a game using a bunch of DBZ characters so I could use wacky powers, then I took the characters and randomized the team so in-show alignment means absolutely nothing” then flavor would not be important.

The OP is pretty explicit that the main threat is androids. Lumpen claimed to be an android. Thus, my day 1 push on Lumpen.

I’ve said earlier that I’m not 100% convinced because his actions are loving odd to claim like that and I’m not opposed to other cases, but until then I’m comfortable with my vote staying where it is.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Anyway, we’re sort of at a stand still as we don’t have any other information to go on

We aren’t at a standstill. We have a good 8 pages of content. People are already building cases. They’re not always ones I agree with, but cases are being made.

People who sit around and say “looks like we can’t make any cases until we have some lynches/kills” are either bad/new players or scum hoping to skate by without making cases.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I’d also like to hear more from Sandwolf and Quidnose. I’m on my phone so I can’t verify, but they seem to be the two with the least posts. And at this point, we have about 10 people with less than 10 posts. At least people like Asiina are using their few posts to make cases.

More posts! More content! :justpost:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If this game doesn’t have more than one scum team, I’m going to be loving shocked.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I could go for a drat good lunch today.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Asiina posted:

Because your scumteam only consists of 3-4 people and you think that's too few?

You’re reaching for something that isn’t there.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Mod: This is a Mafia game. Town wins when they lynch the mafia.

Player 1: I’m a mafioso but I’m Town.

Player 2: Player 1 claimed mafioso, we should lynch them.

Player 3: Stop using flavor. We should lynch player 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

flerp posted:

no this isnt what is happening at all

we dont know if androids are scum

we dont know if all androids are scum

we dont know a lot of things regarding this setup or flavor or what it means

Natural 20 posted:

Only a few short years after the defeat of the galactic tyrant Frieza another threat looms. Androids, created by the mad scientist Dr. Gero in revenge for the defeat of the Red Ribbon army years ago.

These fearsome creations are a threat to the entire planet, they are merciless and will kill anything and everything in their path.

Furiously our heroes train to deal with this new threat! But, have they prepared enough? Will they be able to repel the metallic menace? Or will they fall to their foes? Or perhaps something even more sinister?

Literally the androids are the enemies.

Furthermore the “something more sinister” hints another scum team or at least Cell.

Unless you are saying the mod is lying to us, to which we have bigger problems.

• Locked thread