Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Is this actually a 27 player game? If so let me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Yes, yes it is.

THEN LET ME IN

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

willie_dee posted:

Do I need to understand DBZ to play? I never watched it.

Last DBZ game involved a lot of flavour arguments (that were 100% worth having and useful), so take that for what you will, but this one will probably be less so.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I’ve only ever played werewolf. If that’s close enough for me play along then I’m in

Same thing as mafia, just more lasers.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Android Saga in a nutshell:
Goku hasn't returned to earth after defeating Frieza on Namek, but everyone on earth is chilling anyhow.

Time traveling future Trunks goes back in time to warn earth about the androids that are coming to kick their teeth in.

Goku eventually shows up and is like oh what's up. Some weird aliens tought me how to travel across time and space by focusing my god like powers. NBD.

Oh, and Frieza whom Goku defeated has become a cyborg seeking revenge.

Trunks is just like w.e. and kills him with a sword and some gang signs, and is like yeah yeah that was cool and all, but these androids are coming.

I mean his timeline is forever boned, but good on him for preventing the same, but w.e. time travel

Goku has a heart disease suddenly. Something about a cure and him dying

Androids come and kick in teeth.

Vegeta cries because as Prince of the Saiyans he should have been the legendary super Saiyans and yadda dadda.

Future trunks has daddy issues, vegeta is his daddy. The issues are understandable.

He gets time to bond though in the time chamber where they get really buff to prepare for the ultimate Android menace cell.

Krillin the best character in the series marries one of the androids somewhere. She's ok. They even have a baby and he grows a mustache. It's a whole thing.

Cell is like a weird bio bug droid man who absorbs the other androids through his butt horn tail whip thing.

It's a weird appendage.

Cell gets strong after nomming

Everyone else is not strong enough.

P. Much full on in cell saga by now? Maybe I'm missing some crucial plot elements.

Goku is dead and channels his spirit through Gohan who is also obv a super saiyan.

Also with the blood of goku, still superior to vegeta. At least at this point

And that's the androids and cell saga.

As I remember it from about 15 years ago or w.e.

Forgot to mention the best character in the series, Mr Satan.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Also Goku spends some time in Hell, but that is kinda this weird semi-filler stuff that probably won't be covered in this game.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Crazyeyes#0881

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I WILL NOT BE SILENCED, SIR!

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

This is completely fine and what I expect you to see.

:argh::argh::argh:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

It begins...

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Lumpen posted:

Confirmin' totally Town, amigos!

Rooty toot tooty. I'm comin' for ya booty!

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Can you win?

Can you beat monstrosities made for the sole purpose of ending you and life on the planet?

I will speak plainly.

No. No I cannot.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Natural 20 already regrets letting me in here lol.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Don't worry guys I'll start looking for the dragon balls for when you inevitably gently caress up

Appreciated.

Mordiceius posted:

I daycopped Lumpen. He is scum.

Unlikely, but I'm willing to accept unquestionably that Lumpen is scum.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

Also I'm really happy to play with the person that inspired the Lumpen List!

You will regret these words in time...

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Little Mac posted:

I'm the funniest character in the show.

Is this a Mr. Popo claim?!?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

161 posts this morning was unexpected...

1. In DBZ 1, for better or worse, flavor actually mattered. All the Z-Fighters were scum, and Ginyu force were all town, as well as Frieza (kind of). That being said I suspect Nat20 has planned for this (because he pretty much explicitly said it) and, CURRENTLY there is no reason to be making flavor claims. In a couple days once we see some flips and a pattern can be theorized, that can be re-evaluated, but with no evidence at all everyone please shut the hell up about flavor cause it is a rabbit hole that need not be entered at present. If you are insistent on pushing that angle, I am more than happy to stick a vote to you. I will also say that if current claims are to be believed, flavor has no bearing this go around.

I took this as a crumb that they had an innocuous role like mine, meaning vanilla or very well near vanilla.

This is spot on for this trend.

Could be misdirection, but given how this type of stuff was volunteered without prompting makes me think, they were expecting a bit more bells and whistles than they got, OR that their character was someone in the background of the show like mine.

I think scum would have simple fake claims, but like I said. How it was offered when it was offered... it just stood out to me.

Will still be watching them obv, but to a lesser degree at this time.

My character is not exactly a background character in my opinion, but that is highly debatable and he doesn't do poo poo anyway.

Birdstrike posted:

keep in mind that you can be a super duper cool town character and then some rear end in a top hat steals your character and gives you their own lovely reject role

Yeah that was pretty funny.

grand theft grotto posted:

I hope one of us is Goku and Piccolo's driving instructor.

Please don't doxx me

I currently am very conflicted on Lumpen. He claimed effectively nothing out of the blue which people reacted to pretty wildly. I think that claim has really influenced the conversation and unfortunately not in a good way because it is just baseless flavor arguments. I think this is something a very clever scum player might attempt. I just don't know why so early in the game. Nothing really to gain from the claim besides chaotic jibberish, but there was no pressure on anyone anyway. It just seems like a waste of a, in retrospect, extremely effective gambit if that is what it was.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Really though it seem like you’re going to need to claim to get out of this one or explain why flavor does in fact matter but then again that’ll likely require a claim to do so

No one should really ever need to claim D1, especially since there is a lot of time left and plenty of votes still needed.

You seem to imply I meant right this second. Then go on to say that’ll you’ll do it as you feel more pressure. So was it actually a bad post if you say not yet?

Anyway, we’re sort of at a stand still as we don’t have any other information to go on

This is actually a very impressive D1 considering the amount of content generated.

Mordiceius posted:

If this game doesn’t have more than one scum team, I’m going to be loving shocked.

This may be true, but why is that in any way relevant this early? Might as well say we have a serial killer and cultist while you're at it since there is no proof or reason to suspect any of that right now.

Mordiceius posted:

Mod: This is a Mafia game. Town wins when they lynch the mafia.

Player 1: I’m a mafioso but I’m Town.

Player 2: Player 1 claimed mafioso, we should lynch them.

Player 3: Stop using flavor. We should lynch player 2.

This isn't what happened. It is more accurately:

Mod: This is Mafia. Town wins when mafia is all dead. Also I may or may not have given mafia flavor/claims to suggest they are town. Good luck.

Player 1: I am flavor claiming a bad guy, but I am town

Player 2: Player 1 is scum because their flavor would suggest scum.

Player 3: The mod warned us not to depend on flavor. make an actual case

Player 2: You are dumb for refusing to believe my bad case

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

50 pounds of bread posted:

I'm gonna destructo disk the poo poo out of someone if people don't start being better at this.

Who would you most likely think to target?

Mord has claimed an ability. Scum have abilities, but I'm willing to back off.

I think I see where fifty is coming from.

##unvote

While I am currently leaning town on you, this post is beyond stupid. In a role madness game, of course Mord would have some ability.

Mordiceius posted:

With Xad coming forth as a Town android, I’m apt to relax my suspicions on Lumpen somewhat. Though that in no way makes Lumpen exonerated.

Why do you believe Xad so firmly?

I don't undertsand why Mord claimed so early. Deadline is a long way off. Doesn't sit right.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Speaking as someone who is routinely abused for my perceived historical play, meta arguments are usually wrong.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Xad posted:

Yeah, I don't see another way to read that

Okay so obviously voting for someone based on NOTHING is bad, so voting for someone because they claimed something substantial is better because we get more info out of it. I...yes, it is better, but still very bad and definitely not the only option we have.

Yeah okay no, catching scum should not be a "bonus," it's the entire objective of the game. If you want to know if someone is telling the truth about their role, sure we all do, but don't try to execute someone who you don't think is scum, jfc

Never a good idea to lynch people you think are town just to try to solve the game mechanics. This whole train of thought is scummy to me.

chaoslord posted:

This is Jeabus' explanation for the scummiest post in the thread. It doesn't make any sense.

"I thought Lumpen was bluffing when he claimed to be an android that is town aligned to deal with any flavorcop. But then Lumpen claimed a bad android and I don't think he would do that as scum."

Like... what? If you thought he was trying to throw off a flavorcop, why is claiming a definitely villainous role the thing to make you back off? Isn't that exactly what someone trying to throw off a flavorcop would do?

The reasoning here is inconsistent.

I agree with this.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

okay the key point here is that think I'm only concerned about Lumpen. It would be to provide info on the setup, too, which, FAILING ANY MORE LIKELY SCUM TARGETS, would at least be a consolation prize.

You are making a mountain out of a molehill ##vote chaoslord

There are 27 people in this game. If you have to resort to "consolation prize" lynching you are not even trying.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Okay. Here's what's happening. I am easily riled up. Scum chaoslord is riling me up very successfully. I am actually shaking with rage right now and don't you dare try and say I'm lying about that.

So I'm going to step away from this thread for a while and try to cool off. I will probably fail. I am seriously considering replacing out. No matter what happens, it is painfully obvious that playing mafia is not for me. Either I get too invested or I can't get invested enough. It's hard for me to write off stupid accusations made by people trying to capitalize on the slightest word that they can construe as "suspicious" or "not perfect enough." I find it hard to distance myself from this. Again, I am actually shaking. That shouldn't happen.

If this is serious, you need to chill. Mafia is literally a game about paranoia and being a jerk. Emphasis on game.

I can confirm Yamcha is town. So by Xad's logic, androids are scum, which I currently don't agree outright with. As i said before, need more proof before making the flavor case.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

That bminus didn't even put the person he's voting for on his list of scum, and didn't change vote/unvote/justify this oddity even when directly questioned about it is pretty drat weird.

Weird enough to ##vote b-minus

IcePhoenix posted:

This is fair but I got called the dumbest person in the thread for thought dumping (even if it wasn't great I was at least trying to participate) so I just sort of went back to trying to process stuff since I'm still trying to get a grip on this and didn't want to interject again while the adults were talking.

This happens a lot. Just ignore it. Better to earnestly post than hold back something that may prove useful (assuming you're town).

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I just have a basic question about the rules- the part of the op that shows the current vote counts says it's "14 votes to execute." Right now, the vote is split wide because a number of players. In the event the time runs out and one player does not have 14 votes but there is a clear player with the most votes, does that player get executed, or does something different happen?

So what other people have stated is correct, but in case you are particularly new, there are also games that have plurality lynches, where whoever is in the lead is killed. Town need to be especially careful voting in this case.

I'll be honest I've played dozens of games of Werewolf and I've never thought of it this way. I think I've relied way too heavily on body language to get me by over the years and it's become a crutch. Thanks for making this aside as it helped me reframe my thought process

The only person I actually trust so far is:
Monathin - Mainly due to this post. Why open yourself up to a nightkill like that, if not a townie?

I would take Mon's comment with a grain of salt. He could mean any number of things by saying that.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

GeneX posted:

Yeah okay

Would preferentially lynch aa, little mac, rhijamz (or however their name is spelled), [insert lurker here (Quid?)], fitty (but I’d be unhappy about it), tobbs (bad vibes but nothing concrete)

Would prefer not to lynch Lumpen, Birdstrike, Xad, Mord (roleclaim), any newbie

That is a long list of "would vote" people.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

It's never fun. Playing this is never fun.

Every single loving game I've played I've been jumped on for just having the loving gall to post.

And posting isn't easy for me. I'm a natural lurker. I have to loving work up to posting, and even then, it's hard for me to even compose my words in a way that feels satisfactory to me.

I'm not even that good a scumhunter.

So to see any effort I make so callously shot down gets me loving mad, in a way that's not healthy for me.

Yesterday, instead of reading this thread, I went and caught up on Dragon Ball Super, and had a nice sleep.It felt great!

Today I read the thread and immediately felt like poo poo again.

I shouldn't have signed up.

To be fair this is the first game I think I've EVER played in where I haven't been called names and dog piled on for no discernable reason. For a long time I was super annoyed by it, so i kind of see you're coming from, but it's important to accept that it's an almost necessary part of the game to get under people's skin and pick each other apart.

I say that to say this: You cannot be the kind of person that gets as upset as you claim to over this and play, let alone enjoy, mafia. It's a goddamn game. Don't take it so seriously. I assure you it isn't worth it and it doesn't matter enough to get worked up over like this.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I don't want to, I just do.

Well if it's truly out of your control, I don't really know what to say. The vast amount of content generated has nothing to do with you so you're essentially getting upset over other people being mean to people not you.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

King Burgundy posted:

FWIW, I disagree with that theory, just to stir the pot a bit. I've seen plenty of town breakdowns. I've done a town breakdown. I think it's alignment neutral in general unless it is a meta for a particular person.

I think it says more about the player than their alignment personally.

I find willie_dee to be a bit suspect because I think it's odd to just vote out of retaliation, and then say it was newbie retaliation as if it was just a normal thing. I can't say it isn't but as a newbie myself I think that's somewhat weird.

I noticed this as well and I had to do a double take. It was certainly a strange thing to admit. I blame new player syndrome, but worth further review.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

You know what? No. I'm not gonna traipse out of here a loving mess. I will finish this loving game.

Bold words. Makes your whole meltdown look dumb, but I like your gumption.

Gimme two names of likely scum, and 2 of town.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

flerp posted:

u smell dumbo breath

##vote fifty

Why do you hurt me so, Flerp-sempai?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

You know what stood out to me?

This post.

What

the

gently caress

is this post

This is a scum post. Don't waste a town vote on a mercy kill, there are ways for me to step out if I wish. That second part screams a weak justification for scum to jump on an easy target.

I saw that post and casually brushed it off as dumb new person, but it does have a certain apathetic tone to it I could believe was from a scum player. There is realistically no way you would be lynched today, so it's a safe thing to do for it's meaninglessness.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

b-minus1 posted:

what a strange post. You strongly think i'm scum, but your case against me is mainly a critique of my playstyle. Do you actually believe that i'm scum, or are you just using this as a reason to vote to lynch me?

I keep responding because i would like to continue playing the game, and annoyed that im being run out of the game by a few people that dont like my posts.
imo im playing d1 like i always do as town: read the thread, post some brief reads, and move on. you absolutely will not get paragraph style posts from me. it's just not going to happen. especially this early in the game, because i don't have actual information to contribute to the thread at this point.
i suppose i should have taken lumpen's post more seriously and just answered him right away. but he was such a dick lol, and that post was so over the top. i literally laughed out loud when i first read it.

Lumpen never stops being a dick. He thinks it's part of his charm.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I still don't like the way chaoslord and Atomic Soda conveniently threw shade on me in quick succession. It feels like trying to steer the conversation.

At this point, I'm willing to believe Lumpen's and Xad's claims. I have a dumb flavour theory about why those two roles would be town, and if it's true, one of them will likely die tonight.

No reason not to believe them since they effectively claimed nothing until we have info suggesting flavor matters. I think they're town since this gambit could quickly turn on them and Lumpen may be rude as hell but he ain't dumb.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Told you I was poo poo at scumhunting

It's what made things even more frustrating as the only people I had any sort of scumreads on would immediately get me called out as OMGUS.

Don't say you're bad, just revel in your badness until you get good or have a stroke from rage.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Asiina posted:

Also add grand theft grotto onto this list, I forgot about him. Basically if this is your first game ever or first game in years I will not vote for you D1.

COWARD! :argh:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Xad posted:

While I have also noticed that Tobbs and Quid are oddly absent, it's still only day 1 and there are pretty strict lurking rules in place, so we might not have to worry about it anyways

Lurker votes are better suited to day 3 or so imo

Usually Quid is much chattier though. Is he in many other games?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Rhjamiz posted:

In the interest of giving you more information to work with;

That first post is when my head was still swimming in Flavortown, and I was worried about the possibility of a scum-team Cell using androids to get really powerful. I've seen DBZ so I was like "Oh gently caress that would be really bad" but I quickly mellowed on flavor stuff. Scum hunting should take priority.

gtg has got the right of that second quote. I want to vote for likely scum, not lurkers or "eh he's as good a lynch as any".

Little bit of speculation: While i have little doubt that Cell is in fact in the game in some form, he ain't exactly a "team player" in the source material. Na' mean?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I think Little Mac could be scum, but his content is all but non-existent so it's hard to say.

I think asina's refusal to vote new players is very restrictive and not really in the spirit of the game. Kind of just trying to manufacture goodwill among other players to make their lynch more difficult. I don't think town should/would restrict their viewpoint like this as it can only hurt them.

Think Dancer is a complete lurker. Would vote down the line if lack of posts continue. Same with all the sub-10s, but the vigs kinda invalidate that.

Jeabus' sudden and dramatic change of heart is wonky, but I like the stuff he's said since.

I would vote Will for that super awkward "mercy" thing with Jeabus.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

GeneX posted:

Refusing to vote newbies is a courtesy thing, it’s frustrating to die first so not doing it to people who haven’t got the perspective older players do just helps grow the community

For me at least it’s also because reading new players is horrendously difficult and a lot of their mistakes turn into false positives

First game ever on SA i was town, a bunch of people said i talked funny, someone called me a retard and i was lynched D1. No mercy :black101:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Dancer posted:

Hi.

Please feel free to point out what, specifically, you want to get out of me today. Yes I get it, I've been lurking, the group as a whole could use me saying things, as valuable resources to case me now or later, and to case potential scum-buds if I flip scum. You haven't asked me anything, all you did was point out that one of my posts feels weird. I could defend it, but I genuinely believe that the arguments I presented there are logically consistent already.

Can't ask anything if you have no content to ask about, dude. Also you basically saying whatever you post will automatically be used to case you is seriously lovely. You're now on my list for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Dancer posted:

???

Yes, every post every poster makes will be used to build up a case on them to figure out what they are. That is how mafia works. I guess joke-phase is a half-exception, but then you look at some of the novelists we have in this thread who will even dissect that. WTF is "seriously lovely" about my statement?

I took your phrasing to imply you believed whatever you said would be interpreted negatively. Ie- cased as scum. I've never referred to looking for town as "casing" them.

• Locked thread