Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

edit: SPOILERS AHEAD so read at your OWN PERIL IF YOU AHVEN'T SEEM THIS AMAZING MOVE

So this mute lady bangs a fish (specifically the creature from the black lagoon)

It's pretty cringey, I didn't know Guillermo del Toro had such fetishes but to each his own I guess, what did you think of this Oscar winning oeuvre, GBS? Also I was told Michael Shannon was a good actor but...

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

its all nice on rice posted:

It's clearly the fishman from Hellboy.

Abe Sapien? Absolutely not, your memory must be failing you. Perhaps because it's the same actor, but the design is completely different

Evil Agita posted:

I found the movie both boring and not good, but I laughed when she wanked it in the tub
I also laughed at the dancing scene

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

its all nice on rice posted:

If by "completely different" you mean "Del Toro gets his inspiration from monster films of old and they have similar designs" then yes they are complete different.

Listen yeah it's the same concept and same actor but they still look really different to me

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

How the creature looked was very important for the movie, imo, and also caring about appearances was the core message of the movie, so this is a great thread

I thought the core message was about how bestiality was absolutely A-ok?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Do you think the fish guy drops those gigantic super long ropey poops like fish do

And how often because he was basically living in a jacuzzi for most of the movie so swimming in he own poo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You know before I would’ve said “gross” but after watching this movie I can understand this is pure love 💕

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

This is about all the info we get

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

A Fancy Hat posted:

Shhh, don't ruin it for the people who haven't seen it and just like to joke "lol fishman sex".

I appreciate you’ve come up with your fanfic already but the “maybe she’s a lost water princess” makes no loving sense given the few facts about the creature (beginning with “needs to live in water with a specific saline level” )

Flimsy af theory 2/10

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Sorry the movie was not autistic enough for the usual moron gallery.

Are you one of those cineD posters I hear so much about?

Movie is ok at best, the dancing scene was awful

A lot of the “this is the hero, this is the villain” dialogue was really ham fisted

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

The movie is about what makes someone a person. Its not even subtle. There’s a whole scene about Elisa calling the Fish Guy a “he” instead of “it.” Hell, the rationale Strickland gives for torturing him is exactly what racists and bigots say for justifying horrible treatment of minorities.

Taking away “ugh it’s about bestiality” is like watching Phantom Thread and saying it’s about dressmaking.

On my top ten of the year along with Phantom Thread and The Florida Project.

Wow man that’s so deep, I never thought of it that way, but yes the movie is so subtle not everyone can figure out the message

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

numberoneposter posted:

so shes a fish woman too???

No she’s not, that’s just typical CineD dorks trying to look deeper into the movie to find poo poo that isn’t there and make themselves appear smrt

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

vyst posted:

I was already out once I found out you don't get to see a fish penis or presumably a fish vagina...

All vaginas are p fishy tho

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

like a cigarette should posted:

So I guess she was a fishwoman at some point, but a lovely deformed one with only one set of gills

Yes also with totally normal human skin and features and who didn’t need to live in saltwater, but instead permanently breathed air

So not like a fish woman at all, but other than that yes

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Also that would change the whole extremely obvious message from “racism and discrimination BAD!” To “stick with your own fish kind I guess? And you’ll be happy”

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Norton posted:

The happy ending was living in the ocean lol. Didn't they say merman was from the Amazon River? They are going to swim thousands of miles back to South America and live in dirty nasty water filled with horrible things. Probably going to get caught by a commercial fishing boat and killed. Also mutey mcfishdick was magical, what great writing! And no one seemed to care when he ate a cat. Haha how wacky , your pets head was eaten lol

Yah but he fucks

That fish fucks

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

I went to see it because I really liked Pan's Labyrinth. It was okay.

I was sort of startled to find out it won Best Picture. :stare:

I’m a huge Del Toro fan but his year was pretty weak film-wise

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

numberoneposter posted:

Get Out is like a tongue in check horror movie (with social commentary) and if it would have won then so should have like Scream or Blair Witch.

Horror movies in general are not favored in Oscars, so getting a nod isn’t too bad

I think only The Exorcist has won Best Pictures

Edit: oh wait Silence of the lambs won Best Picture also, still that’s like 1 horror movie every 30 years

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

numberoneposter posted:

Suck my dick,
You Fish-man
Lol

Let’s be forum buddies, numberoneposter

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

There needs to be more to it than something that makes people say "hmm yes".

For Oscars? Not really, that’s all they want

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

numberoneposter posted:

yeah you guys got me i made it up, its such an outrageous story

like you have never heard the guy who says "i down own a tv" :smug: in real life when you mention something that happened on TV

its all a big ruse for such a CRAZY story lol

Hey I believe you buddy :3:

I actually had a “everyone laughed, stood up and clapped” moment in high school (in a full auditorium no less) but I never tell it because it’s so stupid and unbelievable (just like high schoolers)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Neutrino posted:

She had gills and she could breathe under water. Did you watch the loving movie or are you just one of those idiots that comments on things you don't know anything about??

Because she doesn’t even look like a fish you dumbass, and he gives her the ability to breathe underwater with his magic bald fixing powers

It’s typical Latin American magical realism and I swear GdT even clarified that she was not a fish but I can’t find the interview now because I was like “are people really theorizing this dumb poo poo”

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Neutrino posted:

So the fact that she was shown as having gills before they even met was meaningless?

Yes, poo poo just happens in these magic worlds

It ruins the whole thing if you think she’s a half fish, gently caress people are so dumb

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Worst thing about this Movie is all the woke takes

The Shape of Water is a Toxic Romantic Fantasy: The Issues With this Disability Romance Narrative

The problem with ‘The Shape of Water’ and other ‘woke’ films
Guillermo Del Toro's movie embodies what's wrong with a certain school of self-satisfied, performatively socially conscious filmmaking

GAMESPOT FEATURE ARTICLE
The Shape Of Water Review: The Problem With Inter-Species Romance
Fairy tale or not, that's messed up
Male-gazey woman-on-monster relationship

The Shape of Water is wondrous, but woefully narrow-minded
The visual achievement of Guillermo del Toro's new fantasy can't alleviate its reductive worldview.

I Have an Issue with the Fish Sex in The Shape of Water
Guillermo del Toro's Allegory Doesn't Hold Up
“Imagine if del Toro would’ve shown the creature taking Elisa from behind in the shower? Imagine if we’d seen Elisa’s head bowed in front of the creature’s creature-dick? Audiences probably would’ve rushed out of the theater. We certainly wouldn’t be having a conversation about whether this movie was a myth or queer allegory—we’d be talking about it as a movie about loving monsters.”

I Belong Where the People Are: Disability and The Shape of Water - The Shape of Water made me feel less human.

Guillermo del Toro Has Seen That ‘Shape of Water’ Dildo – It’s Not Accurate
“I’m sure ‘Dunkirk’ doesn’t have that problem,” del Toro joked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Zane posted:

the theme: conformist-authoritarian rule-bound society (superego) versus female-minoritarian individual with her own private fantasies (unconscious). the plot: violent male authority figure with all the social power conflicts with female totally disregarded by society but in possession of hidden and profound reserves of inner strength. the world of the unconscious (pan's labyrinth/fishman) is the site of dangerous but ultimately emancipatory creative powers. overall: two leftist allegories of the liberatory energies embodied by the mid-century popular/counter culture as well as the memory of earlier (revolutionary) struggles from del toro's own early childhood.

Suk my dick you fish man

• Locked thread