Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Sup goons. I'm managing inventory for a business, and have been doing so using MS Excel. For a while, the demands were simple enough that the program was a viable option. Now, things have expanded so much that keeping track of all these products and components is time consuming. That, and I can introduce errors pretty easily which causes the whole rickety scaffolding to be wrong.

Is MS Access going to be a better alternative for this? During slow periods, I'm goofing around with LibreOffice Base (because I don't know Access or Base yet). Company is willing to get an Access license, but I'd like to be sure it would be better for me and worth the learning curve before I place the order. Here's what im doing:

-Keeping track of about 50 food products and making sure there's enough of each to produce different menu items. Some food products are shared between menu items, and some aren't.
-Ordering packaging for menu items and keeping track of those too.
-Order food products ahead of time, since it takes about 30-40 days to get the product in after I call in an order. This is where it gets trickier, because I have to look ahead 3 months and be sure our supplies are not too low, but also not too high where food products sit in a warehouse too long.

I feel like there's a much better way to do all this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

derk posted:

you're losing your mind over 50 items? why the gently caress does it take 30-40 days to get such products? I was in the restaurant business for 20 years, are you importing directly from a overseas country or what? sounds absurd and unorganized

They're ordered from all around the country. These are more or less non-perishable meals, by the way.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
a semi ran into our warehouse and all the inventory is contaminated. problem solved in the interim.

• Locked thread