Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Duke Silver posted:

I prefer the Size Queen myself. For those large loads.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gay Weed Dad posted:

I suppose my angle is that if the costs are 1/2 of a new unit the time+parts+hassle involved with servicing becomes a moot point. Although these things can be serviced; you can often buy 2 in under the initial investment. I would run into this often with electronic components; an older guy would be dismayed that I was tossing a board without replacing caps, checking resistances, etc because of how things "'yusta be", ignoring the fact that his service call would be 5 minutes with a predictable cost from the initial call. That said, I did gloss over the fact that the tests are "gamed" in modern day so I suppose it is more than old dudes being Luddites (although I'm still not willing to fully give up on this theory because I'm an ageist).

A new consumer-grade washer runs $500 for an incredibly poo poo one that'll probably break down within the year to $1400 for a relatively nice one that'll likely fail after three years. Any minor parts failure means the washer is effectively totaled unless you have an industrial soldering station that can reliably handle microscopic SMDs, and the skills to use it, cause the failure point will either come when the electronics go or the drum cracks and dumps 20 gallons of water all over your floor. Versus, like, a couple hours and $50-$100 in parts to replace anything that could reasonably be broken in an older washer built like a car whose electronics amount to an egg timer. Throwaway culture is pretty reasonable for folks who wouldn't find it worth the minute to bend over and pick up a $20 bill on the sidewalk, but if your time is worth more like $15/hr like most actual human beings having stuff that can be kept running indefinitely using basic home maintenance skills is incredibly valuable.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 15, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gay Weed Dad posted:

when you factor in the aforementioned WiFi, BT, NAS, VPN features

uh, why?

I don't think anyone would have much beef if the market was reasonably diverse and normal people could easily choose between a new old-style washer that's got like five breakable components anyone who knows their way around a screwdriver can fix, or a disposable smartwasher that texts you when your load is done instead of ringing a buzzer and you just throw out and replace after a year, but they can't. You can only buy the latter, now, or a dwindling supply of refurbs of the former from 20 years ago, and the smart washers are barely even cheaper for an initial purchase - breathtakingly more expensive longterm. That's why people get so obsessive over the one or two makes that a person can reasonably expect to only have to pay for once in a lifetime, because that is a desirable feature to people, in much the way as having your loving washing machine connect to a VPN is apparently somehow to you.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Blue Train posted:

You gotta buy the things to review tho with no guarantee of roi

it seems like one of those new economy jobs like "Instagram influencer" that's great and rewarding if you live on your daddy's money and don't actually need a job

• Locked thread