Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

EponymousMrYar posted:

You used to one or two-shot Haz 4 bugs that way. Now it takes an entire clip to deal with one of them. Because you only get 4 focused shots with the normal clip (and that Warden is still going to be alive to take 2 more fully focused +125% shots to the weakpoint) :shepface:

I miss the old M1k.

Yeah this is sort of my big problem. For a gun that's supposedly "deal high single-target ranged damage" it really doesn't actually do that well. I mean it "does" but it requires a lot of aim for not a whole lot of payoff in a very niche field whereas a Lead Storm OC Minigun taking accuracy on T1 does that way better for 90% of range engagements at mowing down far ranged bugs faster (aside from the most hellacious sand cavern 10 square mile room). When Wardens love to wiggle and contort and lag and clip in-&-out of geometry, it's a loving pain even if you have good aim (and this game is really not about Good Aim nor should it be), it should be rewarding to hit them and it just doesn't feel too great and worse feels real bad when it just misses and bodyshots. Like Weakpoints are generally kinda finicky in the first place, and it's extremely reliant on being able to hit weakpoints, and if you miss or can't (either because of skill or laggy contorting bugs), it's really punitive and feels like it tickles them. I just dont get the "gently caress yeah!!" feeling often when nailing them, and more often experience immense disappointment as I tickle them using my entire clip.

Wardens will either take somewhere between 3 to 8 focus shots which is a lot of time investment and given how much they love to bobble and wiggle with hitboxes spinning around, I find it's generally closer to using 10 ammo which is around 7% of your entire ammo. Praetorians now need I think 7 Focus Shots to the butt to kill on H4/4, so you kinda have to give up the 125% focus damage and grab the clips mod unless you like to reload. it's 1second to focus shot (with the speed upgrade) so that's like around 10s to kill a Praetorian by only shooting it's butt. A LS Minigun does this <3 seconds just for comparison. Perhaps not super good comparison but yeah. Likewise disappointingly, Acid Spitters have 144 HP and a focus shot only does 100-113 to 120-135 (depending on if you take Damage or Ammo on T1, and you probably want ammo, and/or if you take Focus Damage instead of Clip) so unless you can nail them in the tiny little mouth as their scooting along the ceiling far away, you'll probably need 2 focus or a focus+hip which is 4 ammo right there. So like it doesn't even hit good breakpoints for killing spitters.

also all the mods choices and overclocks feel bad. i don't think theres any other gun in the game that has less choices than you get with the m1k.

But yeah the devs have recently acknowledged it needs work and they're working on it so that's good.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Wish the M1k had a tier skill or an OC like the sniper rifles in Payday2, where if you score a headshot any enemies nearby also take damage and can get crit and die also. Like magic bullet headshotting.

Except it would be Weak Points in DRG.

e;
Tho you can shoot the heads off bugs.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
yeah i'm not a fan of either the mk1 or the dual pistol weapons, they seem very underpowered. the MK1 is just a more annoying to use version of the assault rifle which already has a fairly long effective range and can accomplish the same things. the dual pistols blow through ammo and still seem to kill less than the shotgun

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Aw come on now

The game overstates the importance of playing your first 9 missions and also understates that you should never, ever ever play solo for any reason. I found a good solution though! You can find someone doing your exact mission, and even find one that has 3 people that have been at it for 15 minutes, and swoop in right at the finish

Blew through my assignments lickety split and then had a great time playing with some buds

Best way to handle it, IMO. Whenever an assignment gives me a 3/3 Point Extract on Fungus Bogs with shield disruption or mactera plague or something like that I'm either waiting for mission refresh or doing exactly what you did, because gently caress that

If I'm feeling like Comedy I'll host, launch solo and wait for people to trickle in instead :unsmigghh:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

They need to just remove the charged shot gimmick and figure something else out, it's a fuckin space Garand it should feel crispy as hell to fire, not feel like you're playing loving Hanzo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i was talking about this with xaris a while back and after that conversation i did go and check the numbers: unless you make sure to take the one option to increase focus shot damage, a focus shot literally does double damage compared to a hipfired bullet (+100%). And it takes two bullets to do. So in the time it takes you to charge and aim a shot, you could just put two regular shots in something's butt and literally come away with the same exact result.

If you take the perk? +125% damage. So the rate of return on charged shots is shockingly minimal.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Upping the M1000 base rate of fire without modifications would be a good start.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 27, 2020

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i will mention the cryo mines overclock with the nuks make them surprisingly effective at clearing out swarms. the minelets have a much bigger splash than you might expect so shooting them at the feet of a bunch of grunts will overlap with each other a lot and get you to freeze them quickly. less effective at freezing and shattering a praetorian or similar than you might hope though. if you end up trying it out i recommend just absolutely dumping the damage on them and just taking all the ammo pouch upgrades you can, since the point of them isn't to actually kill stuff but just spray freezy juice all over the place.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

EDIT: ^ ^ ^the blowthrough rounds mod is absolutely crucial for this loadout, as you can now shoot bugs AND get the minelet trigger. ^ ^ ^

MariusLecter posted:

Upping the M1000 rate of fire without modifications would be a good start.

Increased fire rate, charged shots take only 1 bullet (but need longer focus or whatever to balance them), and with the proper mod choices, be able to one shot all medium bugs (save guards) with a charged shot in the mouth.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 27, 2020

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Charged shots should have like 5 penetration so you can line up sweet combos as a reward for your kiting prowess.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Drewjitsu posted:

Increased fire rate, charged shots take only 1 bullet (but need longer focus or whatever to balance them), and with the proper mod choices, be able to one shot all medium bugs (save guards) with a charged shot in the mouth.

Fishstick posted:

Charged shots should have like 5 penetration so you can line up sweet combos as a reward for your kiting prowess.

Add a similar OC as the driller's pistol ricochet's for hitting weak points and it's gold.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i'd be wild if they could add OCs to all the other stuff. traversal tools and support tools and all that, add some more build variety

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think the idea is the traversal/support tools are so core to the experience locking extra functionality behind random drops after you've played enough of the game to get overclocks would loving Suck Big Time. see: them taking flares out of the upgrade system.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Cowcaster posted:

i think the idea is the traversal/support tools are so core to the experience locking extra functionality behind random drops after you've played enough of the game to get overclocks would loving Suck Big Time. see: them taking flares out of the upgrade system.

yeah they would have to be careful but I think they could pull off 2 or 3. for example, an overclock that turns the Platform Gun into a GLOO Gun from Prey, essentially the same functionality in providing platforms, just a different way to do it. but they would definitely have to keep the basic "engineer makes ledges, scout brings light, gunner shield drops saving the team from certain death, driller makes gaping holes" functionality there and keeping it so the base stuff is already very good

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

eh, i think it's doable, and the intent would obviously be to not change it to a point that gives it such a unique change that completely blows away all the others, keeping core functionality at the base level it's at now, for example.

not gonna lie detpacks are extremely boring and just getting the ability to throw them and keep yourself out of the blast radius is attractive

^^ yes, adding some extra gimmicks to it - none of which is critical or required to make them functional

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Detpacks but also something with detcord.

Detcord is cool af.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
moab detpack

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Detpacks that have Opressor style massive knockback. For enemies, for friendlies, for everyrthing. Blow it all up.

Detpacks with a pull-in before detonation.

Delayed detpacks with a bigger boom.

I want utility OCs mostly because I need more turret variety. Wish they'd lean into Engineer's electricity angle and just offer like a short range zap turret / tesla coil style deal, or some kind of variety outside of "one turret or 2".

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Fishstick posted:

Detpacks with a pull-in before detonation.

Implosion OC that compresses mineral deposits into large gems.

e;
When the mission console says the host game is "Medium" distance.

https://i.imgur.com/thJ8Zlh.mp4

I can guess this happened to two players that left behind mineral pods behind by the time I joined up.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 27, 2020

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Sloober posted:

yeah i'm not a fan of either the mk1 or the dual pistol weapons, they seem very underpowered. the MK1 is just a more annoying to use version of the assault rifle which already has a fairly long effective range and can accomplish the same things. the dual pistols blow through ammo and still seem to kill less than the shotgun
Dual Pistols are ok, they're more of a run and gun alternative to the shotgun (especially when you don't have overclocks.)

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah I could only see them doing some overclock shenanigans with the support tools. The traversal's are Too Important to mess with. Even then some of the support tools don't really need it, IE the Gunner's Shield and the Scout's Flares.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 28, 2020

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Cowcaster posted:

The flare upgrades were unchanged for years so they probably couldn't think of a way to expand on them.

I still think that armour and shields should be separate and expanded upon. Not what it is now where they nerfed recharge and delay and you're still stuck with the same old 30 point shield with a bone thrown in. I'd like to see the ability to switch and slot in a small range of purchasable shields with unique specs while armour covers passives like the class bonus of reduced explosive damage or fall damage and so on.

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...
It could be cool to see gunners shield variation like an option to make it heal health instead of shield, or an auto revive inside the bubble so you can fight while you revive.

No idea on the flare though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

can there be a geminice turrets overclock that makes them worth using

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The way I look at the M1K is that it's the best gun IF the rest of your team is on point and there's no expectation for you to do damage on grunts and such. You'll spend your time doing scout things, making light, getting hard to reach poo poo, rescuing people who are down (before grappling away), and using the M1K on weakpoints.

so, IF your team is on point, the M1K is great. If your team isn't, or is gonna get annoyed at you or you need to carry even a little, then use the AR so you can blast a swarm or two.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Take the M1K with hoverclock and/or special powder shotgun, never touch the floor again, then your team is forced to deal with the grunts.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

i'm most of the way through the "breach the core" assignment and none of the overclocks i've received are for my class :argh:

though i did lure a crassus detonator into a tunnel while solo and with the pot o' gold buff so it hasn't been all bad

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Finally broke down and bought this game. Do I just jump on the Discord and try to find a group? I've been looking for a game to fill in for Payday 2 since my friends stopped playing it.

Travic fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 28, 2020

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Pretty much. I found it helpful when starting out to duff it with one or two solo missions just so I could be overwhelmed at all the things vying for my attention at my own pace, but YMMV and there's something to be said instead for goons being around to point out what stuff means rather than letting you figure it out yourself.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Travic posted:

Finally broke down and bought this game. Do I just jump on the Discord and try to find a group? I've been looking for a game to fill in for Payday 2 since my friends stopped playing it.

The co-op goons discord (https://discord.gg/X6z2tD3) is extremely active and you can get groups going anytime from 10am - 1am EST (gmt -4). We've had two groups going at once multiple times on weekly reset day/weekends. There are also a bunch of old payday 2 goons if you played with us back in the day. There are a few newer people who have been walked through things over the last two weeks, and now are just as bad as the rest of us at not platforming/not flaring/dying to gravity/getting leeched/getting bulked/getting lost, so you'll be in good company!

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Yeah I think Payday 2 has by far the most hours of any game in my Steam library. Really hoping Deep Rock can fill it's shoes.

I did the tutorial and then a few online missions. I look forward to bumbling my way through the mines.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/AhJSehQ.mp4

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

There will come a day when games with physics and destructible terrain aren't wellsprings for funny clips of Weird poo poo

That day will not be soon and I am glad for that :allears:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I've noticed these kinds of "bounces" (on a smaller scale) happening to me a lot more when I'm not the host since release. Annoying when youre trying to get through a tunnel and you're bouncing everywhere from collision detection + lag.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Had one of those moments today, was standing on the edge of Molly, someone calls it and it sends me skyrocketing into the ceiling and then back down to the ground to die.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Wasn't 'Record last 30 seconds' friendly but let me paint you a picture.

I join in on a Hazard 4, Complexity 3, Length 3 Sand Blasted Corridors mining expedition as a scout and I'm dropped into the drop pod landing chamber, just a Driller and myself. Pretty neat, just started!
A sandstorm starts up as we cleared the chamber and the driller gets through the compacted dirt area. I grapple hook to the terrain I cant see beyond the driller's hole.

I rocket through the sand after I let the grapple loose mid flight and I don't stop on a tunnel wall or floor, I start to fall on my trajectory arc with no solid material in sight and I am WELL beyond the landing lethally threshold.
Several moments later I hit the floor of a GIGANTIC chamber.

I type in chat "Watch your step there is a huge drop" and just a second or two later the driller hits the ground also.

---Mission Failed---

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 31, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

You sure it was the Salt Pits and not the Sandblasted Corridors? The pits don't get sandstorms. Or have sand.

Also that's why you always check the Terrain Scanner before you go through dirt. :eng101:

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
I always just launch blindly through openings and hope I can grapple something/shoot a platform down in time to catch myself :pseudo:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/xDSWYtO.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Fishstick posted:

I've noticed these kinds of "bounces" (on a smaller scale) happening to me a lot more when I'm not the host since release. Annoying when youre trying to get through a tunnel and you're bouncing everywhere from collision detection + lag.

Yeah, I want to say it was the update just before launch that made things start to feel goofy, like getting bounced and launched away from trying to ledge grab and lots of sticky situations not being able to grab upwards, or just hitting some geometry and getting flung across the map.

launch may have made it feel a bit worse, kind of hard to tell, but yeah it was circa that period where physics have seem to have got weird. i don't mind though, it's pretty funny most of the time