Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Horace Kinch posted:

So am I right in assuming that all of the Driller's secondary weapons are all pure dogshit?
You are not, but some of them need overclocks to really shine.

Edit: I love the wave cooker's ability to turn a cloud of shockers into goo before they get anywhere near me.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
thin containment field on EPC is basically just overpowered in exchange for being a bit harder to learn how to use

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Yeah Thin Containment Field for the EPC is spectacular, think shock rifle interaction from Unreal Tournament. People often seem to think of it as a mod purely for terrain manipulation and mining but it's very powerful and versatile as a weapon. I minimise the charge time on mine to make proccing TCF more viable in a pinch (22222 + energy rerouting, brings it down to 0.5 seconds), so you can blow up a whole cloud of Mactera or chunk an entire swarm right in front of you at a moment's notice.

Subata suffers from being probably the most boring gun in the game, I'm sure there are usable builds for it but gently caress using that over a TCF EPC.

The Wave Cooker I've not used loads but it seems very useful for doing reliable hitscan damage at any range and applying certain debuffs like slow and radiation sickness etc. It has some fun interactions with burning enemies.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Wafflecopper posted:

what the gently caress kind of dwarf rocks orcish looking weapons

a dworc, obvs

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

I like Orcish and Wastelander looks.

Also quite enjoying the builder's choice colours,

Mr Cryo

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 7, 2022

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Cryo gun + Heavy Hitter EPC is excellent. Freeze a mob of whatever, heatshock them to death.

Heck, Heavy Hitter on its own is very strong up close.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TCF seems like it could be good but I've only ever seen it used by drillers who spend half their ammo to dig out a gold vein, slower than pickaxing, and then don't even pick it up

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

TCF is the best and it sounds like you're playing with bad drillers.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

they never even try to shoot it at bugs, like ever

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've seen good drillers do amazing things with TCF. But even the best will never, ever pick up their own mess, that's quite true. I call them out on it, a lot.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Why leave veins up on walls where everyone can spot them when you can waste all your secondary ammo blowing them up into chunks spread across all the holes and chasms of the level, it's so helpful!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
because a lot of the time nobody will mine the gold otherwise, or no one is near

whether you should tcf veins depends on terrain around them as well as context in general but frequently it's a nice time save or gets you things you wouldn't otherwise

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

IronicDongz posted:

because a lot of the time nobody will mine the gold otherwise, or no one is near

whether you should tcf veins depends on terrain around them as well as context in general but frequently it's a nice time save or gets you things you wouldn't otherwise

This.

TCF as a mining tool is absolutely situational. It can be combined with doing damage to bugs in the same way satchels can, but with more range and versatility. The new scatter behaviour is mildly annoying but there are rooms in which it's not a problem because everything rolls down to a central point, for example, or in missions where you're crossing back and forth over the same area and will be likely to naturally pick up some extra minerals that would've otherwise been ignored.

I totally understand why people get annoyed about drillers using it poorly/unnecessarily in the same way it can be annoying when any class screws up their tool use... Although honestly one of the most common complaints I've seen is more that it's "stealing the Scout+Engi's job" which is something I have zero sympathy for. If you think your priority task as a Scout is mining pitiful amounts of gold off the side of a cave, or your priority task as an Engineer is enabling the Scout to mine pitiful amounts of gold off the side of a cave marginally more easily... you're wrong.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I think you two might be the only two drillers in the world who choose which veins to blast or leave with any kind of conscious nuance, and are just blissfully unaware of this fact

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 7, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

to me thin containment field has always felt way more slippery in terms of timing than the classic shock rifle since the detonating shot has a travel time instead of being hitscan :arse:

edit dang looks like arse went away at some point

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:garblesnarks:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I think most scouts' problem with tcf is getting blown up by it, not the fact that it takes their job.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Lot less folks using TCF these days anyhow, since the change that made it blow the minerals to hell and back

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dogen posted:

Lot less folks using TCF these days anyhow, since the change that made it blow the minerals to hell and back
Also the wave cooker is really fun.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
I use wave cooker with goo gun and EPC with cryo. They both rule. I’m missing a couple overclocks for wave cooker that I want to try a cryo ice storm + wave cooker Dread melter build

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Blistering necrosis and sludge blast is the dread melter build

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ok who let the intern input the fuel cell drop coordinates?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Oh mission control’s been hitting the blackout stout again

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Ok who let the intern input the fuel cell drop coordinates?

Stuff like this and drop pod ramps in the worst possible place feel like problems they have solutions to but they don't apply them because it's funnier that way.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
That's nothing. I once had the drop pod get stuck in the roof of an Point Extraction cavern. Literally just, 200 meters above the base head, landed in the roof, with no way up.

If the only other team member hadn't been a driller, we would never have made it out. And even though he immediately realized the problem and started drilling us a way up top through the walls, we reached the pod with only seconds to spare.

Things were made even more difficult by the fact that we found an error cube during the wait for the drop pod, and since he was drilling like 50° angles, i could never ever let it go out of my hands or it would immediately drop and roll a hundred meters downhill, so there was no one left to shoot at all the bugs :v:

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Horace Kinch posted:

So am I right in assuming that all of the Driller's secondary weapons are all pure dogshit?

only subata. cooker is good right out of the box . it just doesnt do something their primary doesnt. like cooker melts swarmers and nanocites but so does their 3 main weapons. its like extra ammo for your primary and lets you alternate shotting with them if you go to fire or cold so you proc the big burst.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
All the secondaries do something your primary doesn't for driller - kill things at range.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
true. cooker is hitscan so you can just point at any distance and kill. great for web / acid nerds

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

HenryEx posted:

That's nothing. I once had the drop pod get stuck in the roof of an Point Extraction cavern. Literally just, 200 meters above the base head, landed in the roof, with no way up.

If the only other team member hadn't been a driller, we would never have made it out. And even though he immediately realized the problem and started drilling us a way up top through the walls, we reached the pod with only seconds to spare.

Things were made even more difficult by the fact that we found an error cube during the wait for the drop pod, and since he was drilling like 50° angles, i could never ever let it go out of my hands or it would immediately drop and roll a hundred meters downhill, so there was no one left to shoot at all the bugs :v:

MY favourite one like this was when the minehead for point-ex dropped on top of a pillar, to where the ramps were more than jump=height off the ground and we had scout+driller only.

Completely unplayable.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

thespaceinvader posted:

MY favourite one like this was when the minehead for point-ex dropped on top of a pillar, to where the ramps were more than jump=height off the ground and we had scout+driller only.

Completely unplayable.

Would it have dropped down if you drilled out the base of the pillar and destroyed the whole thing? You can reposition hacking pods and power cells when they drop in inconvenient places, not sure if I've ever had to try it with a minehead or drop pod at the end of a mission.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BMan posted:

explosive reload subata is good

I don't know about the others because I only use explosive reload subata

Tranq and Full Auto are also good

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Would it have dropped down if you drilled out the base of the pillar and destroyed the whole thing? You can reposition hacking pods and power cells when they drop in inconvenient places, not sure if I've ever had to try it with a minehead or drop pod at the end of a mission.

I don't think it does but I am not sure.

You might be able to get the scout up there and have the driller throw up the aquarqs and catch them with a good jump+throw.

Huge pain in the rear end though that's for sure.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Nope, it will hover in the air unsupported. I tried it when I had a similarly bullshit minehead drop. I'd imagine drop pods wouldn't move either.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Microwave is great on exploder levels because it will straight up delete them with no consequences, which is extremely handy sometimes

https://i.imgur.com/y0Q1U77.mp4

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So does the cryo cannon, but i get what you mean

Cryo + Cooker is the OTP anyways and good against almost anything but a goo bomber and machine enemies

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

huh, what’s your druthers for pairing it with the cryo cannon? i take a heavy hitter epc with it usually, the cooker’s for flamethrower or goo gun

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Colette can still do temp shock, while also hitscanning at a distance and spreading your freeze around a little? No idea how effective Temperature Amplifier actually is.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
There's really no point to cryo + cooker. Smaller enemies are better taken out with your drills after freezing, and the bigger ones get the axe. Both approaches give you health as well with vampire perk.

Temp shock needs a buff, even a praetorian won't outright die from being frozen and temp shocked twice. It's quite slow.

EPC mining gives a bit of added utility in addition to long range ability, so that's probably the best one, although the cooker is nice for hunting flitter flies.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

EPC with TCF is unequivocally the most powerful offensive option for a driller's secondary - full 240 damage in a 3m radius on tap is amazing whether it's for killing a cluster bugs (faster for frozen grunts than temp-shocking them individually), chunking health out of larger targets or dissolving mactera. It takes a bit of time to get proficient with it, but once you are it's The Best. Wave Cooker is decent but TCF is just a cut above - the only reason people don't call for it to be nerfed is because it is finicky to use at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Thotsky, you're probably very alone in thinking the temp shock mod is underpowered. May I suggest using it with sticky flames perhaps?