Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What difficulty are you running on because that's nothing short of a miracle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I’ve had a handful of instances where nitra was scarce enough to be a real problem, but even on haz4+ it’s not that common in my experience.

And that’s only in full squads; in smaller groups or solo it’s basically meaningless after you have enough for the first resupply.

If you consistently find yourself running out of ammo and not being comfortable enough to drop resupplies when needed you may want to spec your guns more for ammo efficiency.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Man, the wall eyes in the crystaline caverns are really fishy.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

iospace posted:

Man, the wall eyes in the crystaline caverns are really fishy.

Get out.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

What difficulty are you running on because that's nothing short of a miracle.

Haz 3, 4, 5, DD's and EDD's. Do none of you guys take the extra ammo perks? Jesus.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

But seriously, when do we get the update where the mining operations on Hoxxes awakens the eldritch God of the bugs?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Drewjitsu posted:

Haz 3, 4, 5, DD's and EDD's. Do none of you guys take the extra ammo perks? Jesus.
I have a feeling a lot of people don't even though they're often way better

But yeah I don't think we've ever ran out of nitra either. Like maybe 1 mission on an overly long Point Extraction (though there's usually like 800 Nitra in those) or being starved for Nitra early into a map when poo poo hits the fan, but yeah even EDDs usually go into Stage 3 with at least 200+.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:dadjoke:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I take ammo perks, and every once in a while still run out when things get sloppy. It's definitely not common, but it does happen, it's an annoyance when it does, and pretending it never does is equally annoying. As said above, that would be nothing short of a miracle.

There's nothing wrong with admitting imperfection and taking that into account in personal playstyle decisions.

I don't like double supply drops on the ground if there's a pubbie around, I think it opens you up for annoying bullshit without adding much benefit. Even if we don't actually run out and it just means I have to play conservatively instead of guns a-blazin', that's a sacrifice I don't want to make just so some Marlon Rando can grab two ammo pods. Sorry 'bout it. :shrug:

MariusLecter posted:

But seriously, when do we get the update where the mining operations on Hoxxes awakens the eldritch God of the bugs?

I would pay the full price of the game all over again for this. Can you imagine? Something like that Bet-C noise, except instead of an angry mule, the earth opens up beneath you and a sanity counter starts ticking. :black101:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 23, 2020

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

We run haz4 exclusively and we never run outta nitra and usually have about 200 left at the end of a mission. It's not just ammo perks it's using your weapons correctly too, see a huge group of enemies? Use an explosive, see a few enemies? Use single target weapons. Thorns and lot's of melee will also help a ton because single grunts can easily be dealt with and you can often ignore swarmers and use bloodust to get some health back. A good gunner will have the ammo capacity to go without a few resupplies and use that large ammo amount to do most of the killing.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

I cannot recall a time where after getting enough Nitra to make the first resupply, the group has run out of Nitra.

Remember that giant ice cavern that toke us over an hour to do? We were jonesing for nitra during most of it because how little there was.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Unsinkabear posted:

I take ammo perks, and every once in a while still run out when things get sloppy. It's definitely not common, but it does happen, it's an annoyance when it does, and pretending it never does is equally annoying. As said above, that would be nothing short of a miracle.

There's nothing wrong with admitting imperfection and taking that into account in personal playstyle decisions.

I don't like double supply drops on the ground if there's a pubbie around, I think it opens you up for annoying bullshit without adding much benefit. Even if we don't actually run out and it just means I have to play conservatively instead of guns a-blazin', that's a sacrifice I don't want to make just so some Marlon Rando can grab two ammo pods. Sorry 'bout it. :shrug:

Oh, fair call about pubbies. I've never had a problem because 95% of the time I'm with at least two other friends, and we generally don't stick around exploring every cave on the map - I'm sure you get pubbies with zero ammo upgrades spamming their grenade launcher and refilling fast. Usually the fourth person who joins our lobby is always a scout because we don't have a scout player and my impression is the scout doesn't really have any guns you can magdump quickly on.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Captainicus posted:

my impression is the scout doesn't really have any guns you can magdump quickly on.

The Scout's dualie SMGs go through ammo really quick, and the M1000 can be out of ammo just as fast I used to have all sorts of ammo problems.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Haz5 can eat through nitra fast because you're burning through half your ammo every horde and you definitely do not want to be forced to resupply midway though the next assault because you tried to save it. Every other difficulty you can pretty much handle however you want though.

As a general rule it's perfectly fine to call down a supply drop whenever HQ announces an incoming horde and then everyone can top off when they're ready to move on. If your crew is experienced enough to keep moving during horde assaults then you can make your own decisions on when you need to resupply.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
Ah the mystery of missing nitra, it's simply because

coke posted:

where haz 1-3 can be done with brand new players but in haz 4 there's just not enough damage against the haz 4 swarm rate and it's pain city even if it somehow works out

Without fully modded weapons, you just can't do enough damage against haz4/5+ enemies even if you used up every single vein of nitra in the cave. You can try and scour every last bit of it but it will be a lot more enjoyable if you have good OCs on your guns.

Also just go fully modded gunner with carpet bomber/splinter shell OC or engineer with fully modded breach cutter using light weight cases or return to sender if you want to mop up the enemies with loads of spare nitra.

coke fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 23, 2020

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Arghy posted:

We run haz4 exclusively and we never run outta nitra and usually have about 200 left at the end of a mission. It's not just ammo perks it's using your weapons correctly too, see a huge group of enemies? Use an explosive, see a few enemies? Use single target weapons. Thorns and lot's of melee will also help a ton because single grunts can easily be dealt with and you can often ignore swarmers and use bloodust to get some health back. A good gunner will have the ammo capacity to go without a few resupplies and use that large ammo amount to do most of the killing.

Drewjitsu posted:

Now try it with 3 pubbies. Running in (partial) premades is a lot different than joining the masses because more often then not you're gonna have to carry them and plan for all the stupid poo poo they'll do, like steal your ammo, or dump multiple supply pods long before the end, or just generally need all the killing done for them.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 23, 2020

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
40% of the time I finish a mission without taking a resupply. 99.9% of my games are randos. I would routinely restock on ammo only on the second leg of a elite dive. Extraction and expeditions are easy to rush through, egg hunts with the swarms is a little trickier.

Sometimes I try to expend everything so I have zero ammo by the time I'm sitting in the green zone, having leftover munitions is like leaving food on your plate. :colbert:

Absum
May 28, 2013

The few times my friend and I tried Haz 5 we pretty much ran out of ammo before getting 80 Nitra. Just killing the initial wave that's there when you land took like half our ammo if not more. Though having played a bunch more since then it feels like the Ice zone might just have some insane spawns immediately at the start or something?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Fishstick posted:

Now try it with 3 pubbies. Running in (partial) premades is a lot different than joining the masses because more often then not you're gonna have to carry them and plan for all the stupid poo poo they'll do, like steal your ammo, or dump multiple supply pods long before the end, or just generally need all the killing done for them.

I've been playing almost nonstop for two weeks now since I bought it and even brand new accounts aren't doing anything like this. Granted I haven't played much past Haz3, newbies are mostly just dead weight than they are actively working against you.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I find that whenever i play that if i'm not killing like, 80% of each wave, the wave isn't getting killed.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Absum posted:

The few times my friend and I tried Haz 5 we pretty much ran out of ammo before getting 80 Nitra. Just killing the initial wave that's there when you land took like half our ammo if not more. Though having played a bunch more since then it feels like the Ice zone might just have some insane spawns immediately at the start or something?

I think Extractions are the only one that always have a big Shitstorm at the LZ, the rest is just random based on spawns

cage-free egghead posted:

I've been playing almost nonstop for two weeks now since I bought it and even brand new accounts aren't doing anything like this. Granted I haven't played much past Haz3, newbies are mostly just dead weight than they are actively working against you.

I only play Haz 4 and 5. Haz 4 is a real tossup when it comes to pubbies. On a good night you just get ok people, on a bad night you get the driller that is allergic to staying with you, the scout that calls a pod while he's on a ceiling only he can reach, the gunner that dies over and over and only uses a shield to rez people, etc. There's also a good helping of complete newbies playing on Haz 4 that expect people to carry them and generally make things harder, either intentionally/maliciously or not.

Haz 5 is a lot better when it comes to being sure that your teammates at least know how to use the flare gun or don't need each mineral vein pinged individually before they put up platforms.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Why can't I join any deep dives? They're all greyed out in the interface for me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bottom Liner posted:

Why can't I join any deep dives? They're all greyed out in the interface for me.

The only ones that're joinable are ones still being formed or if someone leaves in the first stage. I don't know why the game bothers listing them after that, but that's the majority of what you're seeing.

I'd just host - it's not like that implies leadership in any sense, anyways - and let them come to you

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

All players on a deep dive have to be using a promoted dwarf

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

All players on a deep dive have to be using a promoted dwarf

You can't even access the hub if you're not.

Ciaphas posted:

The only ones that're joinable are ones still being formed or if someone leaves in the first stage. I don't know why the game bothers listing them after that, but that's the majority of what you're seeing.

Ah that makes sense, thanks.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Back Hack posted:

Remember that giant ice cavern that toke us over an hour to do? We were jonesing for nitra during most of it because how little there was.

That was the one. We had issues getting to supply drop #1.

So that's happened once in 250+ hours with a patch that increased biome complexity.

I'm pretty confident that you shouldn't be running out of Nitra 99.80 % of the time (I just got my cheevo for 500 completed missions).

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

For the most part you might run into nitra problems if you get bogged down in the big +150m caverns with landbridges and full of nothing, mostly because it takes time to find the dirt patch into the next room. They should add small ravines into those types of rooms so there's more terrain for minerals to be nestled in, rather than a ground floor filled with disappointment.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I don't think leaving during first stage allows new joins, but it's not like I've ever tested. :shrug: Lobbies stay visible so people can still rejoin after a game crash, and it's also less depressing to see a list of people actively playing that you can't join than a completely blank list.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
How do I, as not-the-host, suggest missions that progress my assignment?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Skyarb posted:

How do I, as not-the-host, suggest missions that progress my assignment?

Those missions still have your name flashing over them when the host is checking the mission board, if they aren't picking them they obviously don't like you!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

isndl posted:

Those missions still have your name flashing over them when the host is checking the mission board, if they aren't picking them they obviously don't like you!

That or they're just doing their own assignment missions. Best way to get yours done is to just host yourself. If you really don't want to then when you look at the server list your current mission will be highlighted with the assignment icon if anyone is already running it and you can join them. Sometimes they'll be running the same assignment and you can do your missions together. If not, well you got one done. Leave and join someone else running the next.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Also if you really can't be arsed to run the 3rd Egg mission in a row for a blank core, you can solo them on Haz 1 and it still counts.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Chiming in to say I'm pretty salty that the "Car Pool" achievement only gives credit to the host, and not the three other players who were present to make it happen. :mad:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Just picked this game up with my cousin after wanting to play a new co-op game. Fun game.

Rock and stone

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Delacroix posted:

For the most part you might run into nitra problems if you get bogged down in the big +150m caverns with landbridges and full of nothing, mostly because it takes time to find the dirt patch into the next room. They should add small ravines into those types of rooms so there's more terrain for minerals to be nestled in, rather than a ground floor filled with disappointment.

The problem with these cave types is having a scout who knows how to maximize his flares and for everyone on the team to know how your laser pointer works. You can run your laser pointer up and down the wall and it will give you a little ping when you go over resources so even in the dark you can still scan the entire cavern wall for resources. Resources will also twinkle in the dark when you throw a flare so if you're watching you'll catch the twinkle.

They really need to flesh out flares and flash lights with different variants and OC's, i want pitch black style tubing going all over my body giving a 360 light source or an overchargeable flash light that can shoot a giant beam into the darkness. I want hand placed sticky flares, flares that just hover over you, short lived strobe flares that light up entire caverns.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Explosive flares that act as grenades. :getin:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I made a suggestion in the official discord about an alt fire for flares that let you place them onto terrain. They would have a lower radius but would last indefinitely so you can mark spots like shortcuts, cave mouths or platforms.

If they added more features to the laser pointer like persistent waypoints or additional markers, that would fix the problem neatly.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Just picked this up. Barely know what I'm doing after a half dozen missions but I'm stumbling through it somehow! Fun so far.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Just picked this up. Barely know what I'm doing after a half dozen missions but I'm stumbling through it somehow! Fun so far.

I don't know nearly as much as some other people in this thread but the best advice I can give you is to try out all the classes to see which one sticks with you. They're all fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

As requested by Unsinkabear, how to evade gunfire by moving:

https://i.imgur.com/MVjKyra.mp4