Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i'm glad rest of ratte crew has figured out rock and bone to the stone is the good game. we often play on goonintide if you want more company, hit up #other games. we play drill for ol' kruber much more than rattes on that discord by several orders of magnitude lol.

there's also the co-op goon discord but i always forget to check it but i'm also on that.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I picked up the game and have played about an hour. I'm worried about crossing the refund threshold and finding I'm not enjoying it. Can folks answer these questions for me, since I really would like to have a fun co-op game?

Are encounters balanced to 4 people all the time? I've dropped in with one teammate and we've got rocked and I'm not sure if it just means you always want a group of 4 or if we're just bad and that will pass or what.

What kind of depth is waiting for me? Like are there multiple interesting/viable builds that play in different ways, or does it end up like Vermintide 2 where you just pick the obviously best stuff and avoid trap options and that's it? Does gear get interesting and nuanced?
Honestly it's gunna be about the players, it's a kind of boring game solo and more dwarfs the merrier. There are fair amount of builds already and more are coming so there's no real "best" per se and a lot of the mods do radically change up a weapon (Cryo's freeze shatter) but Delacroix already mentioned responded to pretty much all your stuff like difficulty scales with # of players and various things. 3 players is pretty drat easy even on Haz 4.

But if you don't enjoy getting drunk and/or stoned as hell and just zoning out mining goldand shooting bugs and shooting the poo poo with people, it's probably not going to be radically more fun, like it kinda just has to click within that mindset that it's not a tryhard vermintide 2 game and just chilling, it's not a mainstay game to play over and over, but a fun co-op game to play in between other things. Pubbies tend to be pretty good and pretty much anyone who plays this is a giant stoner and alcoholic. like I joined a random pub and we all ended up migrating from in-game voice to the official DRG discord and alternated taking beer run and smoke breaks and just chatting up poo poo while exploding bugs and having a good time playing until 5am in the morning. I almost rarely have as fun pub experiences in games and meeting chill people as I have with this.

Given that it's still early access, despite being amazing, and you aren't quite sold, I'd just suggest refunding it and picking it back up in another 6 months when there'll be even more content and refinements.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Arghy posted:

Yeah we did a complex 3 digging map last night for my scouts promotion and the drop pod was 170m away. We had a good fast team but it still took us a lot longer than usual to get to it.

My new peeve is gunners who don't instantly cover the map with zip lines during extraction missions. I played 2 extractions as gunner and would put up multiple zip lines so no matter where you were you'd have access to a zip line back to the pod. I then went engineer and we had 2 gunners without a single zip line even though i reminded them multiple times.

Yeah Ziplines on Point Extraction are good because some maps have the ship on a giant loving plateau that make it a pain to get aquarqs up there and Zipline Perk makes it really fast to bring em over easily. My peeve is just scouts who dont blanket rooms with flare guns.

I do hope they do a big Perk pass in the next update or two. Like I'd like to take "walk faster carrying heavy objects" one but for like 15% it's just a joke, if it topped out at like 75% then yeah that'd fairly competitive. The Sprint one is also terrible. I've stopped taking the Reduced Fall Damage perk just because it's % is so trivial that either I fall far enough that i'll die anyways or proc Iron Will and grab a red sugar, or be relatively close to people that getting revived after moving with Iron Will is fine. Except on Scout because it works nicely with the Suit upgrades and just suiciding those high up Fossils and still living.

I've mostly settled on Faster Revive, Faster Resupply, Iron Will, Throw Flares Farther* (replace with Fall Damage for scout), and Deep Pockets as The Best Perks. Deep Pockets is just a huge time saver being able to completely mine a vein without having to go back.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 31, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
The only class you can reliably use Zipline Speed is on a Gunner anyways, in which case I think you can take off maybe Faster Revive or Resupply because you can throw a Shield Gen to get ammo/someone up. I just swap out Far Flares for it on the G-man but I think if you didn't want to sacrafice that you might be ok without the faster resupply presuming you always have at least 1 shield ready.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I've built the engineer both ways, spec for Electricute % and Arc, and for pure damage/clip. The latter is just way superior.

So like if you do spec the former, at most you have a 30% chance to electrocute and a whopping 7.5% chance to electrocute and arc. That's not great odds for the latter. The DOT is nice but takes awhile and you kinda just want them dead but yes you can strategically pickaxe them. The microstun is ok but not great either. Overall it would be perfectly fine but the issue is the arc-jumping is actually quite small radius. If it was generous, then yeah I think it'd be OK. it just takes a bullet to pop a swarmer anyways tho.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Elderbean posted:

Yeah! I'm so glad they added the bar. Being shitfaced with your friends and throwing mugs of ale around while kicking barrels is fun as gently caress.

My wishlist is I hope they add a full on-abyss bar you can call in for 40 nitra or something

It would serve no purpose (unless they add more cool brewskis) but would be funny just to stop and drink halfway through the level or before the escape

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

The Gunslinger posted:

I will get into the goon discord this week. The community has been very chill and welcoming so far but it is pretty small. Have the devs mentioned long term content plans? More mission types, classes, etc?

Yes infact the devs are very open and active what they're roadmap plans are and seem to be making good time with substantial updates once a month. Daily challenge maps, Fem dorfs, another class, more biomes, alternate boss fights (instead of just dreadnoughts), and a few others are on their Q1-Q2 goals.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 8, 2019

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Honestly Hazard 3 is about the perfect for both new and experienced players. (maybe not good for new people solo tho?). It's pretty much trivial except very rare gently caress-you times, and honestly those make it kinda exciting and adds that "oh poo poo we might just possibly fail" tensity, and still be super chill as gently caress. Snoozing to victory is just too boring I think even for someone starting out.

That said, we're usually pretty good so we can up it to Hazard 4 on Mining Expedition and still be super chill+very little challenge. Just because Mining maps are linear, low ceilings, so pretty easy to fight and not much risk of ever losing a mining expedition. Now H4 on Salvage or Point Extraction is about where it gets hairy and actually moderate chance of losing and requires everyone being ontop of things and upgraded yeah.

I don't hope it ever becomes Payday 2 level where they keep adding difficulties that amount to mashing your dick in a door-jam for the sake of it, but there does need some challenge edge to it, and I think generally H4 satisfies that pretty well. But more enemy types, varied wave types, and maybe new mini-bosses and stuff will also all go along way to adding a lot of flavor and challenge to it without just modifying numbers to make things spongey which no one likes.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I agree that Scouts weapons are not the most fun, I mean they’re fine because this isn’t vermintide 2 where you have to pick the best for all situations or get hosed game. But Grapplinh all over owns and Flare gun is so invaluable to the team with huge cavernous sand/magma rooms, also with an Engineer saves a lot of time and quickly gets those fossil objectives down.

But yeah I hope they do some mod/stat changes to them to make em more fun. Or make it so it’s a choice of shotgun vs M1000 and assault rifle vs uzis on secondary. I think that would solve all the issues right there.

Engineer still best class

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Arghy posted:

Ugh grenade launcher is just so much better than the cutter they should make the cutter a solid beam weapon.

you're insane dude. breach cutter is one of the best god drat weapons in the game. 20+4 shots, 1 or just very nearly 1-shots multiple praetorian (and anything behind it). it takes multiple GLs to kill a praet and doesn't have nearly as much total destruction potential. need to wipe out everything in a driller tunnel on the escape to the exit? done. incoming vet bug wave? wiped. praetorian wave? bring it!

Give it a shot with this build:

extended ammo bags
extended clip
quick deploy (v good)
damage
double line

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 11, 2019

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ndub posted:

in the past we have called this "arghyuing" and you wont win

however you should drop double line as it does nothing but make the hitbox taller while costing twice as much ammo

Double line doesn't make it cost anymore ammo I can guarantee that right now. And I'm almost positive that both beams hitting an enemy each deal damage. like one wave will basically one-shot a spitballer if you angle it right

I've never had ammo issues with it going extended clip and bags, it feels OP as hell compared to other guns. Just outright deleting praetorian and everything else is so good.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
fair enough, the other ones on that tier seemed a bit underwhelming though. Perhaps you are entirely right that it's just hitbox size, which if is the case is probably still better than the one that causes explosion when another one is shot as that seems kinda bad. Maybe i'll try out the explosion one at the end but then I don't know how big that aoe is and often I'm fairly close up when shooting it. It feels insanely good with those mods already.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Impermanent posted:

should i play this game or vermintide ii? I like unlocking things and wide variety in character play styles, and i like it when games i'm playing get big updates.

V2 is quite frankly, a dead game. Maybe it can be revived, but signs are pointing to just saying gently caress it and work on V3. it's a shame because i esaily put triple digit hours into it and i liked it better than most but even i checked out by the time the first awful awful terribad DLC hit, it was so bad I basically uinstalled. I game back for a few rounds every so often and now no longer just don't even bother it's that loving dead.

the real problem is it has super turbo bad progression with hero power, so like it's basically keeps you from levelling fast so youre stuck in newbie hell which no one plays, and trying to get whatever few vets left to help you level is turbo boring for them and will make game trivial and boring for you too in the mean time. it's just not something to hop in, and despite being good at it, you will have to slowly grind up to hero power and item power 600. theres lots more problem nuances but i wouldn't reccommend it

DRG is super good with lots of big updates every month, active devs who are open with what they're doing and have a lot of love for the product. you get the feeling V2 devs have long checked out, live in a bubble, and just dont give a flying gently caress and hate everythin gabout their game and players.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

is there any point in gathering extra nitra or mission objective resources after you've completed the objective? do u get paid extra for the extra minerals or are u wasting ur time gathering stuff u wont use?

Extra experience really, if you have the time and it's not outright delaying the mission, you might as well mine it out. usually clean out the morkite in the final room even though you don't need it because whatever it's not holding anything up usually and it's an extra 300 exp.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ciaphas posted:

mostly we just had an arsing gently caress of a time finding any morkite save for ceiling scraps, as I recall

and we had plenty of other resources, it just got all zeroed out 'cos we died horribly I think? though I'm not sure, haven't played since

Come join us on the goon co-op discord. I’ll play with my ‘pos buds

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

isndl posted:

I've found it to be not too awful spotting minerals in the dark, though part of that may be from playing on low graphics settings which reduces the reflective sheen everything seemed to have when graphics were on high.
nah i play with everything maxed and I can usually pickout most minerals in the dark. sometimes not fossils but usually.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ciaphas posted:

I just unlocked ice hose this morning and am saving credits

I suppose I should play some non Driller classes, but, like

why? :allears:

make sure you get the tier 5 mod for the freeze gun to shatter enemies when frozen. it makes it game changingly good.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Arghy posted:

I prefer the shock build SMG because it's such a good CC weapon and honestly having more ammo isn't really that good when you'll be outta ammo for everything else long before. I've shocked entire waves into stillness at choke points before which was far more ammo efficient then an extra 60-100 rounds.

I started off with shock SMGs (even before the recent nerf) and then switched over and prefer raw damage build on the SMG myself. The shock % is fine, but the arc-shock is a small radius and even a smaller fraction of it. I find it much more ammo efficient just to outright kill lots of bugs even on H5 than shocking. But hey ymmv and it's definitely one of those weapons that can go either way.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
my motivation is mostly to smoke some weed and chill shooting poo poo on discord on a friday/saturday night in a chillaxing game of zoning out mining and shooting bugs. It's not something I'll play for hours on end every day, but a couple of hours every weekend it fits nicely. I've been somewhat burned out of gaming entirely with only interested in a few new indie games like hypnospace outlaw, katana zero, baba is you, some Switch stuff, and some short-but-sweeter AA+ games like Metro. I can't stand the idea of doing anymore open-world poo poo and mostly just look at my library and go "meh, maybe later". Sometimes RoR2 but seems most of us burnt out of that very quickly. DRG works in being something I'll actually want to play to unwind a little bit, though definitely haven't played it even 1/5th as I did like last year.

but yeah an "end game" stuff would be nice for all the same reasons mentioned.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Fishstick posted:

So no, it's up to 3 cores per Deep Dive, and deep dives refresh weekly. It remains to be seen whether you can farm both the H4 and H5 Deep Dives to get 6 cores.

They said difficulty is going to be fixed to the generation. So I don’t think there’s an easier and a harder one

But yeah a promotion is just a gate like you can’t unlock Haz5 quest until you beat 10 Haz 4 maps or whatever

Haunting reminds me of Spelunky which is fine. I bet it’ll be pretty loving slow and one scout could kite and buy time while others mine and get tunnels ready

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Fishstick posted:

Good news:

oh ok their SteamCommunity press-release wasn't clear. It sounded like one-fixed difficulty

quote:

What makes up the challenge? Well, for one thing, Deep Dives are DIFFICULTY-LOCKED - there’s no running these on easy difficulty.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/DeepRockGalactic/announcements/detail/1609395807153124586

e: ohhhhhhhhhhh I just realized what you were talking about. There's Deep Dives and then there's Elite Deep Dives. I didn't make that connection to a difficulty.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Is there a tier list of overclocks somewhere because the impression I get from a lot of the unstable or balanced ones I'm unlocking is that the downsides in no way compensate for the upside and I'm better off leaving the slot blank.

Someone posted a Daily Discussion for each weapon that's decent to get a feel. I've mostly settled on some of the similar ones people ultimately liked on my own so they aren't totally crazy:

My personal top tier OC for ones I have enough OCs to actually use:

Warthog: Mini-Shells w/ 12232
GL: Fat Boy w/ all Ammo Upgrades (1 in clip + 4 in reserve = 3 back from resupplying)
GK2: Bullets of Mercy w Stun Mod
Jury Rig Boom: Jumbo Shells w/ Ammo, Shockwave, and Burn
M1K: Hovering Overclock

Day 1 Overclock Discussion: CRSPR Flamethrower
Day 2 Overclock Discussion: "Warthog" Auto 210
Day 3 Overclock Discussion: "Lead Storm" Powered Minigun
Day 4 Overclock Discussion: Deepcore GK2
Day 5 Overclock Discussion: Subata 120
Day 6 Overclock Discussion: Deepcore 40mm PGL
Day 7 Overclock Discussion: "Bulldog" Heavy Revolver
Day 8 Overclock Discussion: Jury-Rigged Boomstick
Day 9 Overclock Discussion: Cryo Cannon
Day 10 Overclock Discussion: "Stubby" Voltaic SMG
Day 11 Overclock Discussion: "Thunderhead" Heavy Autocannon
Day 12 Overclock Discussion: M1000 Classic
Day 13 Overclock Discussion: Experimental Plasma Charger (EPC)
Day 14 Overclock Discussion: Breach Cutter
Day 15 Overclock Discussion: BRT7 Burst Fire Gun
Day 16 Overclock Discussion: Zhukov NUK17

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 23, 2019

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Arghy posted:

Tried a hip fire build with hipster OC, it's bugged and doesn't list that it gives you 96 ammo so i was running 30 damage, 14 clip, 224 total ammo with blow through rounds. It can work but what's the point? Focus build has 250% focus damage bonus with the super cooled OC and weak point damage on top of that.

Anyone tried the engys turret explosion OC for the SMG? I was thinking a repellent trap with 1/2 turrets facing me at the entrance then shooting the turret.

Yeah I gave the Hipster build a try with 14 clip and 224 ammo with fast reload. It works ok but honestly the issue is moving really eats the accuracy of hipfire still and you don't want to stand still. Maybe if Hipster also had a no accuracy penalty while moving add-on at the expense of also removing Focus shot then maybe.

Apparently the trick to M1000 is you basically get a free hipfire shot since you have a 8-round clip. Focus, Focus, Focus, Hipfire, Focus and it only eats 8 shots. Mixing in some hipfire makes it a better than before through strictly only-ever-focusing is a very little nerfed but not by much since it's less reliant on headshots now and still hits the important breakpoints; so really mostly a buff all around. If you use the Electrical Shot with the Zhukov that gets bonus vs electrified targets, apparently that works really well. It's a shame the Hovering overclock seems buggy in the latest update because I liked that one a lot before.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 24, 2019

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Arghy posted:

Lately we've been running pure haz 4's so we've been asking low level accounts to leave but if you're above 15 or have at least 1 char retired we generally don't mind.
That mostly feels in necessary because power ceeep has made haz4 event really easy if you’re maxed out. If you have 2-3 competent guys,it doesn’t matter to have 1-2 incompetent (assuming not maliciously so). I’ve totally solo saved pubbie haz4 games as a scout just slingshotting and kiting and reviving them all over and over, or gunner clutches, and new driller sticky flame build is obscene for clutching waves with very little ammo use. I’ve genuinely don’t think I’ve lost a haz4 in a couple weeks at least. If they ever nerf iron will at all, yeah Haz4 will go back to being really challenging if not most people are on the ball

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Arghy posted:

Wooh got the unstable sticky flame OC for driller and jumbo shells for scout. My flamer has 11 second sticky flames that slow and do more damage with 50/300 which isn't so bad considering i have 11 loving seconds of sticky flame. Jumbo shells is pretty good but i feel it's niche since most things won't get affected beyond dreads and maybe a breeder.

How do pellets work--is it damage per pellet or is it damage spread out over the pellets? Like if i drop 3 pellets at 20 damage am i losing 60 potential damage or is 20 damage just getting spread out over more pellets?

I run Jumbo Shells with Blast Wave + Phosphorous build, it works pretty loving well at obliterating dreads which can just eat too much AR/M1k shots

there's damage per pellets, and theirs # of pellets. It's simply total damage = # pellets x Damage/pellet. i think i take the more ammo on that tier because ultimately its substantially more damage potential having more ammo, esp if you whiff,

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Arghy posted:

We had a crate next to a machine event with a golden loot bug overhead it was amazing. I got the full auto subata upgrade and gently caress you lose 5 rounds in the clip to undo all the extra recoil. It's basically everything the driller ever needed, 15 damage a round with a 12 round clip and you can still shoot it accurately on semi auto.

I prefer the Subata OC that basically gives you 24 shot but that’s my play style. I take the flamer with sticky stuff and the mod on the Subata that does bonus damage to flaming enemies. So it’s very much a flame everything, swap to Subata and pop Praetorians and Big Bads that haven’t immediately died with a 24 clip and then swap back. I’m not really using it between reloads but reloading when I have breathing room and getting it ready for the next big.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Black Griffon posted:

Have they said anything about adding more weapons? I certainly feel like there's plenty to do with what's already there, but also variety is the rare minerals of life and so on.
No, and i wouldn't expect anything in a 2020 time-frame. I don't think it's necessary or needed at this point either even tho variety is usually good. If they do, it's more likely it'd be a 2021 update given they just semi-recently launched the alternate weapons and that took awhile. A 5th dwarf was rumored and listed on their roadmap awhile back, and although silent on i recently is probably more likely than new weapons. As Onbashira said, they already have issues with the new weapons as it is. And it's co-op so ofc things don't need to be perfect nor does anyone expect them to be, but i feel they still have more work with balancing and adjusting existing weapons moreso. Plasma Cutter vs GL is a kind of more egregious one but even then Cold vs Flame feels like it's flipped too much onto Flame being defacto way to go after Cryo nerfs; and Gunner's triple-shot pistol just feels useless compared to the Bulldog given the bulldog really shores up Gunner's weakness (popping mactera, popping long-range poo poo, etc). Engineer's Electro SMG used to be real good but I feel Mini-Shells Shotgun just outclasses it these days, maybe if the Electro portion had more synergy or something. Autocannon (at least without that Bombardment OC) feels generally bad to use compared to Mini-Gun; which was quite a reversal of how they were when the Autocannon launched when the Minigun sucked and lacked ammo.

I also don't particularly like Scout's set of weapons much, some of it just number tweaks (SMG and double barrel still feels like it has too much ammo problems), some of it is just AR is kinda ho-hum (but I haven't unlocked the Mercy OC which is apparently very good and a gamechanger on it). M1k is good, fits a good niche, and I like it alot, but I often play too stoned to run it for multi missions at a time and having to tryhard with it is a bit too exhausting after while.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 11, 2019

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Black Griffon posted:

Sad to hear the autocannon isn't very good. I just unlocked it, and that's my favorite kind of weapon in games.

It's not awful, and this is a co-op game that is generally easy on Haz4 so you can run with whatever you want to, but in a non-OC AC and non-OC Minigun comparison, it's kind of weird that AC has both the substantially longest spin-up time, highly inaccurate, and a limited clip + very substantial reload reload time. It would seem to me that AC should have a fixed fire-rate with no spin-up and that Minigun is the one with the spin-up time to compensate for not having to reload. The splash on the AC (without an OC) ain't much to write home about, especially given it's horrible accuracy compared to the laser-guided bullets of a Minigun that can also stun and penetrate. AC is definitely best served with Armor-Break OC if you do use it, but it still mostly suffers from being a little weaker and inefficient single-target wise and yet it's purpose of being a splash-killer-but-wildly-inaccurate isn't really good enough. It was really loving godly when it came out but after a series of nerfs to it and significant buffs to the Minigun, it's really kind of been outcreeped and doesn't feel that good/fun to use (without an OC).

It's usefulness goes drastically down if you have a a Driller with a sticky-flame build since Driller is already extremely good and ammo efficient at wiping out smaller bugs n grunts. Without a driller, there's at least a decent case-use for it on swarmer and such levels.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 12, 2019

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Psion posted:

haha well I figured it was the most universally ill-recieved change but that's what I get for assuming

I'm also mad about what they did to my breach cutter, maybe we can agree on that one instead

The M1K changes were mostly neutral to a very slight buff if you abuse the fact you get a free hip-fire shot going focus-focus-focus-hip-focus, and hip fire can 1-shot a regular bug in the head so if you use hip-fire shots a lot more throughout the game it ends up being more ammo effecient. I still think it should have 5 focus-shots in a clip, that portion of the nerf kinda sucked but overall really is neutral at worst unless you only ever strictly focus-shot the entire game in which it's a slight nerf.

but yeah rip to my boy breach cutter. that thing was probably too insane when you could nearly 1-shot praetorians with it but it's really swung too far on the pendulum. It feels kinda bad to use now since it seems like it takes like 6 shots to kill them and it doesn't even have that much ammo. I suppose the point is moreso stripping all their armor off turning them into cute naked bugs to blast away; but idk. definitely needs some number tweaks to it. I think Quick Deploy, 4-shot clip, and more ammo is what it needs at the baseline because otherwise a low-ammo hi-dmg secondary means it'll only ever compete with PGL but even more unreliably with terrain so it'll keep losing out; at least giving it those baseline would mean it's more versatile for being used to sweep-clearing and also usable for stripping armor off beefcakes. All the OCs feel super underwhelming despite some interesting ideas they just don't go far enough. its a shame because i like the idea of a dead space line-cutter weapon and it used to be really fun

also I swear there's some weird buggy fuckery with it still: seems like it does really inconsistent damage and I generally have pretty high frame-rate. I don't know if it's a host vs client vs ping vs frame combo or what but seems like sometimes 1-shot will do like <10% to a spitballer and sometimes 3x that or sometimes just not damage at all.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 12, 2019

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Oof that sounds painful. Maybe Breach Cutter won't be quite as lovely to be used as an armor can-opener.

Guards did need buffed though, I honestly rarely noticed a difference fighting Grunts vs Guard because they were chumped nearly just as easily and semi-rare.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Well I must have been given a prank version of the latest patches that makes thw engineer bad. Because I've only found his specialized weapons to be worse against ideal targets than other classes' general purpose stuff.
Stubby SMG is pretty bad but I have zero issues with Mini Shells Autoshotgun build, it's crazy good with tons of ammo. Probably one of my favorite weapons. Other than weirdly sometimes it feels like clicking individual vs holding down for auto seems to work better since sometimes going full dakka feels like it vanishes some shots once and awhile.

PGL with Fat Boy feels good because it's meaty and kills things forever, but I have not (don't have Pack Rat) found an alternate PGL build that feels right outside of Fat Boy and otherwise seems anemic. I tried PGL Compact Shells and it really felt weak as hell. If there's an alternate build to Fat Boy that works I'd be interested just because I hold back with Fat Boy way too much being afraid of FF-ing.

BC already talked about but I will say, Yaw Man with Ammo Bag, Loosened Node Cohesion, Armor Cohesion, Quick Deploy, and Double Line at least works OK for sweeping out waves as long as you just use it to turn Praetorians into cuddly :3: naked glowing bugs that you then pulverize with Autoshotgun and don't expect it to 2-shot like it used to. Expecting to outright kill Praetorians in less than 4-shots will only lead to sorrow and disappointment.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Arghy posted:

Tried the new machine event, it's kinda cheesy but you can block the pulses out of the base or just stand above them with platforms. You can run a 220/550 AC with the clean overclock and it's hilarious because you just don't stop shooting. I also got the hover OC for the m1000 and goddamn i love it but gently caress does it require a huge part of your attention. You can chain hovers and basically float away from everything and you can stop fall damage by hovering. I just got the engy rocket jump so i'm looking forward to that.

Hoverclock is probably the best M1k OC; mostly because the others are just Not Good At All, and utility of stopping fall damage is good. Unfortunately I tend to play the game while stoned as gently caress and I can roll with M1k for a round or two but after that it gets too tryhard tedious and swap to GK2 as edibles kiick in. Really wish I could get Bullets of Mercy for the GK2. I've only got the Overclocked Firing Mechanism and it's real fun and puts out a lot of power fast so it feels good to use, but I end up having ammo issues with it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
The problem I see with Supercooling is it makes your focus shot damage go from 135 to 219, which is overkill for a lot of things. Supercooling means you can 1-body shot Acid spitters and Slashers which I guess is nice, but that's mostly about it. You then take a 0.5x penalty to Focus Speed which is pretty huge, and a .61x hit to ammo so you go from 108 shots to 65 shots and overall damage output decreases very slightly but more importantly theoretical DPS decreases by 19% since it takes longer to churn out Focus shots; even if you work around the movement penalty. You really got to make each and every shot count and not whiff many. I'd rather just run regular Focus Shot and keep rapid-fire off Focus shots to pluck out Mactera and stuff while also still being able to move around and not feeling awful about whiffing shots. mean yeah I guess it can work but I guess I just don't see why.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Arghy posted:

I got the scouts shotgun jump and i gotta say i might never swap because it's so amazing--grapple to the ceiling in a horde then fire your shotgun into them from above flying back into the air and use your last shot to land safely on the heads of other aliens before repeating the entire thing. You basically have jump jets.

I'm intrigued by the Shotgun Jump, I think I have it but haven't forged it yet. Or maybe I'm getting it confused with the garbage worthless Double-Shot OC. The one issue I would have going into it is losing Jumbo Shells is a big chunk of Scout's additional damage potential (which isn't super great to begin with); especially for Praetorians and clumps; and it's not like shooting them from up in the air is gunna hit a whole lot with it's spread. I'd probably want to grab all the Ammo upgrades but that's also a hit there as well.

I also don't see it helping much on Mining Missions or even Extermination which tend to mostly have smaller cavern paths than Extraction/Salvage/Egg

I use Hoverclock with the M1k to dampen my falls (assuming I remember to make sure it's reloaded... or that I have it :argh:) but in either case the M1k or AR is just not a whole lot of damage on it's own.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Arghy posted:

Got carpet bomber and fatboy, the rest of the OC's i need are just chaff that i'll never use. Carpet bomber is funny because compared to big bertha the stats look like poo poo, BB: 26 DD, 8 AE, 1.8 radius vs CB: 10 DD, 14 AE, 2.7 radius. In reality it's loving insane and will destroy literally everything because 2.7m radius is goddamn huge and the fear covers that entire radius so everything is constantly running. Fat boy is pretty much a game changer because you can shut down massive areas of the map and slaughter swarms--just remember it's radiation is only on the X axis so don't shoot it at a vertical wall, wait for them to reach the ground or the ceiling.

I realize i need lead storm and the electrocute on the m1000 but with CB and bullets of mercy i doubt i'd ever use those other OCs.

Lead Storm is absolutely amazing because you can just keep jumping and shooting or just zipline and mow everything down and the movement penalty might as well not exist. I'm still not sure if I want to go Armor Breaking or Breakthrough Rounds but I'm leaning towards Armor Breaking as the goto these days, with 3000 shots it doesn't matter if I need to use a bit more on trash and it all cools down per kill anyways.

The electrocute on the M1k isn't great, even trying to swap to the NUKs with +% dmg to electrified enemies is OK and makes it useable but it's a lot of work and I feel it just makes you narrowly miss some breakpoints with the hit to the damage. The devs seem to think Status Effects (frozen aside) are way more important than they actually are, it could easily just be a Clean OC really.

The big ones I'm still missing at this point is Carpet Bomber and Bullets of Mercy, maybe Shotgun Jump. I also don't have any real good Cryo ones (if there even is one lol) but gently caress using Cryo when Flamethrower with Sticky Build and the Clean Sticky OC (or +75 ammo clean OC) is so loving good and delete everything. Lighting up Praetorians to get them on Heat and mag-dumping the Subata with the 22-round clip OC will annihilate them in seconds.

I've also finally figured out how to make Breach Cutter decent. Use Return to Sender OC with Explosive Goodbye mod and shoot em up, reverse it just past their hitbox and have it go boom. Takes a little bit to understand how far you need to be but it's pretty easy to get the hang of. It does a solid 33% to Praetorians (or more if the FPS/ping stars align) in a shot. I like it a lot more than any other PGL choice/build that I've tried (sans Fat Boy but Fat Boy I feel I hold back too much on and it's not great on some maps). PGL without Fat Boy just feels terrible to me no matter what Compact Rounds or Clean OC build I've tried. BC still needs buffs though but it's pretty useful and can wipe out Guards n trash.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 3, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

They need to change the way resupplies work, for multiple reasons. One of them being that its reasonable to limit the amount of fat boys and satchels you have. While getting only two back sucks rear end
You do get 3 Fat Boys per resupply. Assuming you correctly go the 4-ammo build, you then have 1 in the PGL and 4 in reserve and rounds up to 3 for resupplying. I think Fat Boy's ammo is fine when you do so because having 5 shots and 3 per resupply is quite reasonable given you're probably only using them during big hordes anyways and shouldn't be needing to use more than 3 per wave; and probably just 1-2 and resupplying every 2 waves. I don't think you need to have the Lvl5 Resupply Perk in order for it to do so, but I run with that if it matters and I don't have ammo issues with Fat Boy

It's great on Salvage or Point Extraction when you can pop it against a wall far from the defense-point and not worry about FF-ing but otherwise I just instinctively hold back from using it often so it goes unused whenever I carry it. Several times I was basically just resupplying my Mini-Shells moreso than Fat Boy, which is why I've been packing Return-to-Sender+Explosive Goodbye BC more often just because I actually end up using it a lot.

Satchels, yeah. C4 is really just a mining tool or rare Praetorian wave these days. Driller doesn't exactly needs buffs because Flamethrower is insane, but having +1 to Satchel base ammo so it resupplies 3 would be perfectly fine.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 3, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Finally got Bullets of Mercy, and god drat it's good with the +% chance to stun mod, and especially with Phosphorous Rounds shotgun/IFG, and a Driller on the team. GK2 absolutely deletes things real well with it

Even with the mod that gives +100 rounds bringing it up to 450 rounds, I still feel the GK2 is just too ammo anemic and run out of ammo so much faster than every other class. Really could use an extra +75 rounds baseline. Also been using Shotgun Jump and I agree it's actually quite good. Someone said Jumbo Rounds seems bugged and after trying Shotgun Jump, I think I agree. It appears to do even more damage to Praetorians.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I should try Cryo Minelets and see if it makes the SMGs feel good and useful, I do have it. I just don't like the SMGs otherwise because they have like no ammo, compared to the Shotgun which I'm usually sitting about 30-60% of by the time I resupply which is perfect and provides a lot of utility.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Delacroix posted:

Spitballers and brood nexus are very susceptible to temperature changes, firing at their base to freeze them is really nifty. Not having to use a cryo nade to achieve the same result is neat since then you can reserve those for mactera swarms or bulksploders.

Exploders are trickier because they'll speed up if one of them dies but they can be safely killed by being pickaxed in the mouth. Still possible if they're at the rear of a swarm.

The damage boost to frozen targets makes a big difference against guards as a scout. I value freezing immensely, being able to do it when not drilling is nice.

The smaller magazine size is 100% bonus with the empty reload mod, you can perform long jumps with that brief burst of speed.

I ran with Cryo Minelets a bit yesterday with penetration and found it kind of underwhelming because it seemed like mines took way too long to go off and they'd be mostly all dead by that point anyways, and behind them no less. It also didn't seem to freeze Praetorians or Bulks at all. It does work vs Spitballers and Broods though but everything else I wasn't that impressed. Do I just need to be shooting at them, and then hook behind them to re-path them over the minelets? I tried shooting the ground infront of my feet/bugs and that didn't help much either.

Maybe they'd be more impressive if we didn't always have a Driller with flamethrower but I find it's so much easier to use Phosphorus Shotgun to light things that aren't on fire and mow down with BoM.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Kith posted:

Has anyone had any luck with the Breach Cutter? I've tried every build I can think of with this thing and I just cannot get it to do as much work as the Grenade Launcher.

Same goes for the Electric SMG, now that I think about it. I feel like the Shotgun is just too useful (and comes with the Mini Shells Overclock, which my friend has and I am extremely jealous of).

Both SMG and BC used to be v good when they were introduced but have both ate several hefty nerfs and PGL and Shotgun was buffed such that they are the better choices. There is 0 reason to pick SMG these days. That honestly goes for most "new" weapons they added that they all nerfed pretty loving hard to the point of them being nearly-useless: Cryo, EPC, Autocannon (without Carpet Bomber), BRT, BC, and SMG have all been relegated to well below OG weapons for the most part sans some gimmicks. I think NUK and M1k were the only ones that escape unscatched (sans recent M1k buff/nerfs).

That said, I posted this before, but to make Breach Cutter work you need Return to Sender OC with Explosive Goodbye. It's literally the only OC/build worth a drat and Yaw Man is trash. I think I take Clip, Ammo, Width, Damage, and Explosive Goodbye respectively. Note you have to hold left-click down to shoot it, wait a second, and release left-click to reverse it. You have to retain a little bit of distance and remember it has 1.7s life so you shoot it through the bugs, let-go of M1, and have it reverse and explode on Praetorians butt and stuff. It's also good for clearing swarmers because the AOE blows them up. I like it more than most PGL builds because PGL just does not work well for me.

Also remember that with RtS that it also has a hidden buff that enables it to go through terrain; so feel free to shoot it into skirting the ground or whatever if the angle isn't perfect, it should still come back adn hit enough and explode.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 7, 2020