Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The game's on sale for $17 through the 17th, and I'm wondering if I should pick it up now or wait. I don't recall it going cheaper in the past, but do you guys think it's liable to drop further any time soon? Get pricier soon? Is there a decent group of people playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So I see the game's currently $18 through Steam, and I got a $20 gift card for christmas. Is the game really worth it? Because I'm a cheap bastard who's always worried about getting burned by bad, expensive games.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Well, I pulled the trigger. I grabbed a 5k credit bonus on load up as well, apparently. Anything I should spend that on right away, or is it all situational to how I play, or what?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, where's the best place to link up with you other goons and play some coop? Also, is there a recommended beginer's guide for each class or something? I find i run out of ammo way too quickly and seem to be very squishy in the first few missions.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

That was my main problem last night. I almost lost 3 rounds of egg hunt in a row because there just wasn't any nitre to be found. I ended up winning the third round as gunner by playing keep away with a zipline or two while Bosco plinked away at everything. It took forever.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, I haven't kept up on the thread since.... March.

...Of 2019.

Do people still play this? Will i be woefully underclassed/leveled if I join up with goons now? Should I go serve time in the poo poo mines with the pubbies before I join up on a goon rigging outfit?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dogen posted:

come out to the coop discord, have a few laughs

What's the link for that? I'm on the official one, and the goons.cx discord, but their DRG channel is pretty dead.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

bbcisdabomb posted:

Just let me shoot cardboard cutouts of Management

I recall a long while ago, when I first played and the station was very unfinished, a sign on the wall up near the top that said something like "coming soon: firing range" or thereabouts. When I came back recently, I was sad to see it was no longer included. I'd love a training room where you could test out various weapon loadouts by shooting cutouts of bugs interspersed with very clearly modified cutouts of management that cause the guy to berate you over the speakers whenever you shoot them.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The last one I ran, something glitched out after the first fuel break because the dozer kept getting lightly pinged like once a second and I had to keep repairing it. Constantly. For the rest of the mission. It was so drat annoying hearing the warnings constantly.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ok, that's weird. the forums can't seem to parse the URL correctly for this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQn-kB465_U

EDIT: Aaaaand there it goes. Whatever.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 28, 2021

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sticky Fuel... :negative:

Finally promoted Scout. Also finally getting used to him. It helps to remember I don't need to shoot every last bug (thats what the team is for) and during combat my job is to A) keep the lights on B) assassinate the important targets (Wardens, Praets, etcs)

That's my huge problem as well. But I went from gunner to scout, so it's a hard habit to break. That and getting ankle-bitten to death by swarmers and grunts, because I'm focusing on targets far away and not right behind me.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Personally, I don't like the armor sets. The rest of it is nice, but I already have trouble telling the various dwarfs apart, and now throwing bug plates on them will just make me accidentally shoot them more often.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Last night a group of us were running a mission in the fungus bogs, and an oppressor spawned right as we called for the pod. The map was this super windy narrow tunnel thing that spiraled all over the place, so rather than fight and waste time that could be spent getting to the pod, our driller dug a hole from where we were to the nearest room he could reach near the pod. Unfortunately, a couple different things happened right then. First, the tunnel wasn't complete by the time Molly was called, so she took the long way back, spiraling around the map toward the pod. The other thing was that the oppressor realized it couldn't fit through the tunnels and was trapped in the room.

So, we all made it back to the pod and are fighting the usual chaff till there's a lull and realized #1. Then we heard the noise of the oppressor and made the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad realization that the sound was getting closer. Then we all looked at the map. Now, we couldn't see the oppressor, but what we could see, was the super large tunnel it was digging. And how, with each *THUMP* and roar we heard, the tunnel advanced directly toward our position. Thankfully the room the pod was in was juuuust big enough that we were able to effectively fight it there, but man was it an action movie moment when it burst through the ground and started trying to tear poo poo up.

And of course, after we killed it and like 5 praetorians that showed up, that, is when Molly finished her leisurely jaunt through the bog and got back to the damned pod.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I haven't even used Driller yet and I just got this as a forge mastery reward.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Triarii posted:

They brought back the energy sphere effect but left the big lingering distortion wave in the dumpster. It's much better than it was before.

https://i.imgur.com/tv97GAN.mp4

This effect is perfect. I love it and love that I will no longer be nauseated and disorientated by people that use that gun.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

From one of the discords:

"I tried out the EDD solo and stage 2 had the most broken doretta pathing I have seen yet.
Flying through completely empty air and drilling vertically straight down into rock"

"yep, seen that before, though not on the edd this week. i assume that's why they put the rocket on the bottom of her... to justify those times where she's just flying."

"I was so confused by doretta the magic schoolbus that I neglected to consider my own survival until it was too late"

https://i.imgur.com/581dxcT.mp4

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Bottom Liner posted:

I've gotten 8 OCs so far. 0 are for the only class I have promoted.

... Are you Angry Diplomat? I only noticed the avatar and title when I clicked the quote button, and now I'm curious.

But for actual content, about 4/5ths of the OCs and cosmetics I've gained have been for the Driller, which is the only class I've not touched at all since I started playing. Out of the rest, half are for Engineer, which I've put 3 total levels into, and then the rest are split between Scout and Gunner, both of whom I've promoted once each.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Bottom Liner posted:

no clue who that is sorry

Ah, my mistake. I went looking and it turns out you two have the same avatar, but not the same text or banner.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Mesadoram posted:

I never played the scout and my brother is struggling to enjoy the class, what weapons/set up do you all use?

I can't really give specific loadout advice, since I haven't used the 2nd set basically at all, but play-wise, as a scout, your job is to: 1.) zip around the caverns and get the hard to reach loot. 1a.) find and point out the hard to reach loot and ask for platforms from the engie to get to them. 2.) light up large dark rooms with the flare gun. This is *vital* to your team, as like 90% of the bugs are melee range attackers, and your team being able to see them coming from far off is *essential* to their safety. 3.) assassinate priority targets and let your team deal with the chaff. You do excellent single target damage, but have basically no CC or AoE, outside of the grenades. Do not fight swarms. Zip around the backsides of large bugs and unload into them. A praetorian will go down pretty much from full if you zip to his backside, unload your shotgun into his rear end, followed by your pickaxe power attack, and then just unload a whole clip of your GK2. Mactera can be taken out at range pretty easily, before they become a threat with the GK2, or you can hit them with a cryo grenade and freeze the lot of them. Oppressors can be had almost as easily as praetorians.

Some personal preference advice I'll give on how to tweak your equipment, which could also be completely wrong: in my experience, prioritize the GK2 for accuracy first, then whatever after that. You want the thing to be able to hit weak spots at range reliably. For the shotgun, I personally went with more damage and the higher rate of fire. That let's me double tap big bugs in the rear end instantly for some huge burst damage, but also take out lines of grunts if I get swarmed by surprise and my zip line is recharging or something. For the armor, I went all-in on health upgrades over shield, and went with deeper pockets. Nothing worse than mining a big vein, filling up, and having to zip away and zip back again to finish. For grenades, I rolled with the standard disrupter field for a bit, but switched to cryo and haven't looked back. The ability to freeze a whole swarm of mactera or grunts, or a poorly placed praet and just shatter the lot is amazing, and I don't see any reason to move away from that.

As for perks, this is *highly* player preference. For passives, I like rolling with resupplier, because being able to get back to the action faster and with more health is important, thorns for the swarmers that I always seem to forget about, and the one I'd really recommend for the scout specifically, is born ready. Born ready is great because you can empty your clip, then zip away, or mine something, or raise a fallen dwarf, and your gun is automatically reloaded for you. It's super sucking handy. Actives I like to roll with are field medic, because being able to zip in, instantly revive the gunner and fear the bugs around him is great and can help turn the tide of the run, and I like either beast master, because Steeeve, or dash, because again, speed keeps you alive.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Fabricated posted:

Tree Zone is neat but irritating to navigate and something about how the textures are done makes flares feel like they're 50% less effective at providing usable light. Maybe that's the point, but it's annoying.

I think it's maybe the brown/darker colors of the biome? Most of the other biomes are white, grey, or least lighter colored and shiny. Both the new ones are darker colored and more matte. And the azure weald specifically has dark shadows as a backdrop color instead of, say, the green of the dense biozone or the lighter blue of a few of the others. It's just pitch darkness.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I've taken to calling out which of the twins has more health and dictating which one needs to be focused on, as well as when they go invuln. I kinda wish the health bars had little tick lines on them to make it easier to quickly see how much health they have. I'll also typically call out and highlight priority targets on point defense situations like the heartstone. I'm not sure if people appreciate it much, but I've never gotten any complaints, either.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

CrazySalamander posted:

Just crushed a Deep Dive, it felt amazing. This game is so fun and I haven't even played it with friends yet! One of these days I'll join a discord server.

Join this one. Get in there, go to the authentication channel, and type !lfd and it'll add you to the player group for DRG, so you'll get all the pings for groups. We're very open to newbies, and there's usually at least a couple long-time players on. Typical play times are mid-afternoon to evening EST, with highest volume Thursday through Sunday. We've also got a channel for sharing builds, so if you need advice on what upgrades to go with, then there's a place to ask for that as well.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Krowley posted:

does lover slab have a drg subforum yet?

Lemme know when I can put tits on that Shellback.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Don't forget that a lot of mactera will start dancing around their location when they realize they're being shot at. Save your bullets for once they stop moving again. Also, I highly recommend cryo greandes if you're scout, or the cryo cannon if you're driller. Flying things do not like frost, much less than they seem to like fire. Other than that, and what's already been said, try to get distance between you can a flock of macteras. It can be kinda hard, but it can give you that edge to avoid their shots if you can put a few more meters between you and them.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

You can still drill down the oil shale. If you can get close enough to detpack it, you can drill it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

For as little as it's worth, but $0.02 on the Scout is that, sure, his guns aren't some amazingly crazy gimmick thing that's flashy or has weird properties, but they don't really need to be. Scout's main thing, as was said earlier, is being super-mobile, getting the hard-to-reach stuff, and sniping priority targets to help his teammates not get overwhelmed. I don't care that the GK2 is "boring", I care that it's a laser pointer of death for ranged enemies. I don't care if the boomstick isn't some flashy thing, I care that it lets me get in a praet's face, pop it twice to stun it, then skirt around and finish it off with the GK2 and a power attack to the rear end. The scout's utility isn't in changing the terrain quickly like the driller; It's not in being an immovable object like the gunner; It's not area denial like the engineer. The scout's utility is in pressure relief. In that aspect, his guns work fine.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Fabricated posted:

Hmm, no, don't think I will

Huh, funny you should mention that.

This one's very on the nose:

Oh. Oh, no. No, no, no. No, thank you.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Has anyone tried Steeeve'ing an elite grunt yet?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

IronicDongz posted:

you can't recruit elites

drat. I half figured that was the case. Ah well.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

erenoyo posted:

Anyone else having weird enemy texture issues? Mactera and Exploders flash bright colors randomly. Not my GPU, not having issues in other games and it's almost brand new

Not enemies, but the area around where Molly gets picked up and dropped off has been showing as a weird light blocking gray cylinder for the last couple of nights.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Kazzah posted:

Hey I'm thinking of getting this with a couple of friends, does it play okay with 3?

You can also join Co-Op Goons and invite people via that. Join the LFD role and ping for interest checks when you go to get the room up. There's almost always someone willing to play. Or well, there usually is, but currently a bunch of goons are playing RE8, so there's been a bit of a lull the past week.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

ninjewtsu posted:

Man playing without a scout always feels so much more painful than playing with a scout, surprised to hear they're the least necessary class at high difficulty or whatever

I really don't think it's that, but more that people want the wave clear of the driller or engineer in a package as mobile as the scout, and see his single target DPS as a weakness instead of the pressure relief that it is. To me, the scout works perfectly in that role; Zip around, get the hard to reach stuff, take out the higher priority targets so your team doesn't have to, and call out anything that you can't take out. A modestly competent scout will do those things, and the team will appreciate the effect. Most arguing against the scout as an entire class seem to not really grasp what he's good at, instead wishing he'd be another thing to clear waves instead. Like, ok, I get it, you could sub the scout with another class and not be too much worse off for it. But that's forgetting that you can also do that with any of the other classes.

A good scout will be the designated survivor, zipping away from the swarm and swooping in to revive their teammates. A good scout will be grabbing all the secondaries and rares like it's their primary as they move along. A good scout will be calling out big threats they can't take out on their own, shooting down all the acid and web spitters to keep the wave clearers free from distraction, and getting pot shots on the weak points of anything their team can't directly access.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Triarii posted:

Scouts are in a bit of a weird place where I think they have to be weaker than the other classes in general combat, because if they were on par then it would often be optimal to just run teams of 4 scouts and ignore a lot of the game.

Pretty much this. If anything, I think the gunner is actually the most redundant class in the game. everyone likes to dunk on scout because, oh no, it's harder to clear waves, but honestly, gunner's minigun can mostly be replaced with the driller's flamethrower, the ziplines can be replaced with the engineer's platforms, and the shield is situational at best. Especially if at least 1 dwarf has iron will or field medic to help mitigate getting swarmed while a reviving others. Whereas with scout, you've got the lights, and unparalleled mobility to traverse the caves and avoid getting swarmed. With those two things, if you also gave them AOE wave clearing, area denial style capabilities, then they'd be unstoppable. Consider, if the scout was given the flamethrower, or the grenade launcher, or turrets, or C4. I think that'd be a fair bit over the line of OP.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

As far as I've seen, the "best" use of iron will is typically reviving another downed player if you're in range. I've only seen it used a small handful of times where the person healed and then managed to fight their way out of the wave and get more players up afterward. I'd probably recommend it on the gunner class most of all, since you can throw a shield and revive before you go down and hopefully the other player can get established and make things work from there.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I run sticky fuel OC for CRISPR, as was mentioned, and that's great for swarm missions. Lay down a line of fire, then puff a bit at bugs and they just wilt. For eliminations I run ice storm, using the 11212 load out from a few pages back and it wrecks face on everything. Swarmers and grunts freeze within 5m of you. Everything praet and larger, I can literally walk up to it and face tank it while freezing and then deleting it. For dreads, just avoid the insta-kill AOEs and try to hit whatever weakpoints you can as often as you can. For example, a hiveguard, once it brings up the pink crests, you can just walk up to one side and get the freeze cloud across to the other side, and that deletes those. Move to the backside, and freeze its rear end and you'll pretty much single-handedly bring it down on your own. The only thing that stops the hiveguard from being a joke with that setup is the multiple phases it does.

Literally the only downside to the ice storm OC is how ammo hungry the gun becomes. I go through nearly all my ammo for the gun taking down a dreadnought. Other than that though, it's :discourse:

As for secondary, I have lots of fun with the exploding reload OC on the subata. Tag a bug with a couple bullets, reload, and it pops. 1 bullet for web spitters, 2 for loot bugs, 3 for everything else smaller than a praet. Do be warned though, the explosives don't trigger if you hit armor. Aim for the squishy bits.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

And here I got Sticky Fuel OC as one of my first OCs, before I had even touched the Driller. I agree though, it is super useful.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Really, for me, the worst bits of escort are having to defend the drill while you go refuel and mine. It just feels like a huge hassle that like, the scout goes speed-mining, two others go speed-refueling, and the last one stays with the drill and defends it from mini-waves. I kinda wonder if it'd be better to have a slightly different objective than the refuel laser tank things. Like, what if you had to call in a pump jack to tap into a nearby resource well, which you connected to Doretta to refuel her? Then you'd have to defend the pump jack while it works instead of worrying about her. Or maybe having a supply drop-like thing get called somewhere into the cave and you've gotta go get it and bring it back to start drilling more, the reasoning being that the heartstone interferes with exact location readings.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Was that the elite deep dive? This past week's EDD we got to the 2nd stage and stupidly split up and then got overrun. Our last dude up was the driller, who found himself cornered in a tiny alcove. Then a bulk spawned and started walking into the alcove. The driller saw that, went "gently caress nope!" and attempted to drill to safety, and the downed scout. He got there just in time for the bulk to catch up mid-revive and insta-down him and the mission.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I still can’t find a driller sidearm setup I’m satisfied with now.

I've been having lots of fun with explosive reload subata. 21311 gives you a good ammo levels, weakpoint damage, and extra damage vs. burning enemies, if you're using the flamethrower. If you dump enough bullets into a bug that the reload would kill it, it pops up a little status icon on the bug like you get with freeze and fire. Pop loot bugs in 2 bullets. Pop web spitters with 1 bullet. Pop grunts in 2-3 depending on where you hit them. Do some major damage to spitballers and other large-weakpoint targets from relative safety. Just keep in mind that the explosive reload itself doesn't proc if you hit a bug in its armor, but it does proc on bug corpses, so if one target gets killed, you can still reload and do some splash damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yeah, I tend to send Bosco after anything that I can't easily mine out up high, and anything large that's buried. He can't get secondary objectives like fossils or ebonuts, but he can get dropped gunk seeds and anything that can be mined, like holomite or dystrum. Don't forget that his rockets recharge like flares do. I often send him after praets and order a rocket as he starts to circle around behind it. There's a bit of lag between rocket order and the actual launch, so keep that in mind, but it's pretty dang useful for shaving off good sized chunks of health bar once you learn how to pseudo-aim him towards a weak point. He's great for point extractions, where you can point him at a far off aquark and then go after a closer one. By the time you get yours, he'll be back with his. If he's carrying something, X will have him toss the thing to you, so you can deposit it and he can get to shooting. Don't forget that he's got unlimited ammo, so if able, let him do as much of the work as possible and resource management should become a lot easier. And as mentioned, he can build pipe segments by ordering him to work on the first unfinished segment. Lay your pipe down, then set him to work on the first segment and he'll finish the whole pipe while you're working on the next line.