Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I'm starting to become a fan of the Autocannon

I don't have a good mod for the bulldog yet so single target's a bit whiffy but enough AC rounds takes care of praetorians OK so far

(edit) I dunno about anyone else but I'm still in the "oh god not enough credits or minerals whyyyy" phase, are there any clever tricks to that besides grinding away?

I agree. The minigun isn't BAD but the autocannon despite having a fraction of the ammo reserve deals so much more damage (especially with armor piercing rounds) along with a small splash radius it's definitely an equivalent if not superior sidegrade without overclocks.

As to the minerals that's what the exchange is for, I suppose. Some minerals I have 3 to 4x as many as others so, it's not bad but probably not the answer you were looking for.

If you need credits I'd recommend trying to coordinate Gold Rush mutators with Pots O' Gold beer whenever possible. If you get super lucky and there's a Glyphid Crassus Detonator you're going to be swimming in credits.

Edit: Also no overheating on the autocannon is a pretty nice thing to keep up that sustained fire.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

i think this is also why I'm enjoying it - and explains why I like flamethrower Driller and will probably like Breach Cutter okay when I can loving afford it :argh:: I like making those swarming bastards (and grunts as much as possible) irrelevant

(PGL is good too but oof! my ammo!)

The only thing I feel outright anemic about is Mactera; that's probably mostly down to me being a lousy shot with the Bulldog, though, so that'll improve

Breach Cutter is pretty dang nice but be prepared for large amounts of friendly fire during swarms and dreadnoughts. I'd definitely recommend taking the perk that reduces FF if you use it. It's not a ton of FF per shot but it's enough if you have no ally awareness like me that your teammates are probably going to ask you what the hell you're doing when you just fire it into hordes and they're on the other side or jump in front of you due to its wide arc.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

SaffronKit posted:

Depending on the difficulty you're running, this is somewhat of a waste! Haz3 and below friendly fire is so fractional that it's basically a dead perk outside of a Driller attempting to explode you with a satchel charge out of spite. Haz4 and 5 though? Definitely worth a consider, especially if you have a breach cutter/PGL happy Engi friend or just don't trust pubbies.

I have a friend who's over level 200 who swears by the Fat Boy Overclock on the PGL and I shudder to think what it would be like if he didn't have the FF perk.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

New class:

Elf_____

I've wanted a Medic dwarf that can mine and store red sugar for healing on the go or use it to throw temporary beer buffs or possibly even convert it into a deployable 1 mag for the current weapon per teammate but my friends mostly disagree. I do admit the game wasn't designed around it, but on Hazard 4 and 5... well, I can dream.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I went back a few pages and didn't see this asked but I apologize if it's been done multiple times:

How can you tell what part of a Deep Dive people are on in the search? It just lists Close, Medium, and Far which I assume correspond to Mission 1, 2, and 3 but I'm not sure. The Steam Friends I've played with don't usually Deep Dive and I've had some bad luck with newbie pubbies in other missions so I mostly do solos but I'm tired of going alone with Bosco. (I'm level 60 myself so it's not like I'm just learning the ropes). There's also the fact I don't want to join a DD in progress that's almost done and possibly miss out on the previous rewards, if that can happen.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Rynoto posted:

Deep Dives can't be joined mid mission. The close/med/far is distance host is from you as it's locally hosted.

Oh I see now the little I box in the corner that says late joining is not permitted...

Well that riddle's solved. Do you know if you/the host drops and never reconnects if you have to redo everything? It's not a huge issue if you do. Or do you resume rewards by joining another game?

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Rynoto posted:

You restart at the very beginning if you can't reconnect to the host. No additional rewards for when you re-complete a stage that was done before.

You do keep any already gained rewards from completed stages.

Sounds fair. I joined my first public DD. We all grabbed our beers, toasted to Karl, and then the connect to the multiplayer session ended and never came back.

Hell yeah.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Cryo Cannon + Pickaxe with Vampire perk is pretty darn sweet, in my experience, mostly for the stragglers you get throughout the game to top off your health. Not viable for huge hoards on higher hazards but freezing a group and getting a power swing off before going back to firing works too.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Just had my first game where Molly got stuck on the escape pod and proceeded to dance up and down the side for a good minute and a half. I was about to be pretty cross since it was the last mission to finish an assignment, but apparently the game anticipated the M.U.L.E. might not always make it due to pathing issues and opens the doors at 10 seconds to go anyways.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Anyone having any issues on Salvage missions where one of the mini-M.U.L.E. legs just either does not spawn or is hidden deep in the geometry off map somewhere? Had a guy last week during the Deep Dive who mentioned how a previous attempt failed because they couldn't find the last leg and just did a Haz 4 mission with a buddy for the weekly cores and we could not find the last leg. It seems like before this last update there were always spare legs, but now there aren't any and apparently it's causing an issue but I have no idea how common it is if Ghost Ship hasn't fixed it already and I didn't see anyone mentioning it the last couple pages.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
"Well, I've gotten every class to Silver except Driller so far, I'll just mess around on Haz 3 in a Haunted Biome with Double XP for some easy lev-"

"Oh..."

Well, you make do with what you get and rock and stone your way through. Thanks for all the digging, Bosco.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I think some Overclocks also depend on what difficulty and mutators are present. For example, I used to run Neurotoxin Payload on my Autocannon, but when I started playing Haz 5 it was clear the ability to do more damage instantly was more important over gradual poisoning and slow. I always run Carpet Bomber now which is an amazing horde-clearer, but leaves me a bit lacking against heavies, which I use my BRT/Bulldog for. However, CB isn't great on Mactera Plagues.

Meanwhile, I've run Mini Shells on my Warthog for so long I don't even remember what the default shotgun is like. Putting stun on my sentries and Breach Cutter means I don't even miss that feature, and with Choke and Miner Adjustments I can pretty much snipe enemies on ceilings and still kill grunts with a single shot to the face and almost never run out of ammo.

Captainicus posted:

Unrelated to that, has anyone tested the 'fragile' t5 mod for cryocannon? I've used it briefly but I always felt it wasn't actually doing anthing. Is the description inaccurate and there's some set of criteria for it to actually shatter enemies?

I've run Fragile as long as I can remember and yeah some enemies will just pop. As Evil Kit said, it's a set damage amount but you usually do enough damage while freezing enemies that it works about... 1/3 or 1/4 of the time or so, on Haz 3 and 4 at least, in my experience.

Edit: Should clarify I mean while freezing grunts. The damage amount is never going to be enough to take out a Praetorian or heaven forbid, a Bulk Detonator.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 13, 2021

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I thought they said assignments wouldn't have double warnings

They did, but I had a double warning assignment too earlier. I assume it's an oversight they'll patch out quick.

Those Bulldog buffs though, I've been running Elephant Rounds and now it's even more powerful, with 3 more bullets to boot!

Not thrilled about the extra ammo OCs on the Warthog being reduced by 12 though (Mini Shells and Light-Weight Magazines both). Seems an odd choice, unless it's to compensate for the expanded ammo bags mod being used in conjunction, but don't know why they wouldn't reduce the mod instead.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Patch notes say they added the possibility of double warnings. Looks like a permanent addition.

It is, but the end of the Double Warning section in the update log says this:

quote:

NB! Missions with double warnings are deemed so challenging that they have been excluded from Deep Dives and Assignments.

However, Double Warning missions are being picked by the game to be part of assignments, like in the screenshot (the right textbox says <> ASSIGNMENT MISSION <>) so it's likely an oversight in the code they'll patch.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Looks like the new hotfix broke some stuff. Apart from NOT fixing the swarm music playing throughout the entire mission and layering tracks including on the end screen, it appears to have done something with chatbox/alt-tabbing where it jerks my camera to the side or up each time, and broken mineral multipliers; we just finished a mission with 12 Enor Pearl and after the 130% bonus it was 16, so it only added 30%.

E: Did a few more missions and the mineral multiplier seems to have been applied properly. First one was under 100% so I thought maybe an overflow but we did one over 100% and it was correct. Maybe it was just a glitch?

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 23, 2021

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I finally got the Sticky Fuel Overclock a couple weeks ago and yeah, it's insanely good, especially with the extended flames and slowdown mods. Even better, my final OC was the Tranquilizer Rounds for the Subata, and although it lacks the punch of other ones, it combos incredibly well against Praetorians; stun one, put some sticky flames under it, by the time the stun wears off it's already reached full burn and lost half health, just stun it again, minimal ammo usage (I was pleased to see it get a tiny buff this update). Tranq is also nice for stunning Menaces and other far targets, or taking a specific enemy out of the fight temporarily. Obviously this combo doesn't work against enemies immune to stun, which with the addition of elite enemies has gone up, but it hasn't let me down yet on Haz 4 missions.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
So I have a question that quick googling does not have an answer for. I have a friend that for at least the past year whenever he has an assignment his mission does not show up on the host's map; if this person is not the host then usually his mission is not selectable. This is not an in-progress assignment mismatch because, for example, he has not played since the Rival Incursion update, he selected the Hurricane assignment mission 1, and I, being the host, could not see his assignment. In fact, it was in a biome that was out of scanner range for me. I have completed all assignments so again, this was not an in-progress mismatch.

Has anyone else run into this or can explain what might cause it? Numerous updates, validations, restarts and mission abortions haven't been able to fix this problem.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

Are his computer's time settings different than yours? I think the current mission rotation cycles might be based on that and could be out of sync.

Technically yes because he's Central Standard and I'm Eastern Standard which means he's an hour behind me, but I play with people from Finland pretty regularly who are 6-7 hours ahead of me without discrepancy.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Far more effective than big ceilings, I've found laying down on walls a pattern of "tank traps", as some of the goons I play with have started to call them, works really well.

For some reason the alternating "checkerboard" pattern of platforms with slight gaps seems to really do something to the bug's pathfinding far more effectively than a solid line of platforms in a single layer.

I have a couple of friends who swear by the Bunker (as they call it) strategy. They have the Driller dig the Control Uplink and Fuel Cells (after connection) straight down about 10-15 meters into the ground in a small tunnel, then carve out a cave around it about the diameter of the triangulation zone. The Engineer blocks the first hole, and the Driller then digs a long "escape" tunnel about 45 degrees up until they reach the surface which is where all the bugs will be funneled in an easy shooting gallery.

Works pretty well, but I think it's kind of boring. And yeah, if a Bulk shows up it's bad news but the Driller should have enough time to dig an alternate escape route so a couple dwarves can pop out and distract it or get away and come back.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Sloober posted:

Big reason it sucks is because it's so boring

Definitely. I wouldn't be surprised if Ghost Ship programs a countermeasure somehow in the future since it seems to exploit spawning and pathing algorithms, but for now I only join them when they do it on Elite Deep Dives. Anything else I hang outside the bunker for sweet kills and action while they chide me.

On Haz 3 or 4.

Karl would be disappointed in them.

Also had another friend who wasn't familiar with it but was our Driller and said "that's dumb" and proceeded to just C4 a hole in the ground and said "there's your bunker" while they yelled at him. It was pretty funny to see.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

having done my first haunted cave mission i don't think i want to do them again if i can avoid it. or at the least i'll only do it as scout.

But Haunted Biome is where you get those amazing situations of having three Bulk Detonators chase you!

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

Explosive Reload and Tranquilizer Rounds are both good

Agreed, I've run Tranquilizer Rounds for a long time now. It's great when you Tranq an enemy (especially Praetorians) and it sits there for 6 seconds and your teammates go "Why is it doing this? Is it glitched?" before pickaxing it to death.

Or stunning a Menace from halfway across the map and letting your team unload on it. Just wish it worked like that on Huuli Hoarders.

Even though the base Subata damage sucks, in my experience I only kill with it for Macteras when using the flamethrower, but the T4 Weakpoint bonus and T5 Mactera bonus add a lot and Spawns and Tri-Jaws go down in about 4 hits to the belly.

Also stunning a couple straggler Glyphid Grunts and topping off your health with Vampire can be quite handy.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Gimme the loadouts you guys use for machine and dreadnaught bossing to make them easy and carry a dead team.

I usually go Scout with M1000 Hipster OC and Zhukovs Embedded Detonators OC or Gunner with Hurricane Jet Fuel OC and Bulldog Elephant Rounds OC to hit as hard and fast as possible. Scout's mobility and Gunner's shield can also make it easier to revive downed teammates or save your own butt. Also, having Shield Link or Field Medic (or both).

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Dogen posted:

I saw people much smarter than me using IFGs and understood how they were great in some situations, but I always feel like an idiot if there’s a breeder and I don’t have cryo

Or Huuli Hoarders. Or a horde of swarmers. Or a teammate who's downed during a swarm and I don't have time to kill everything around them but throwing one cryo grenade will buy me enough time to get them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

The Shame Boy posted:

Anybody actually use the sticky flames OC when running a sticky flames build? The cut in ammo seems a like a bit too much even if the results are great.

I do. I run 23231 too. The 11 second duration means i just have to puff the ground or do a circle spray in a tunnel and everything up to Praetorians catch on fire and die within seconds. This is also why I run Tranq rounds on my Subata so I can stun Praetorians in my fire and they slowly burn to death helplessly. I also have Impact Axes for some damage spikes against Spitballers or other enemies, and Berserker to take care of Oppressors. With just one More Fuel mod, often I can still have half fuel when other people are running out of ammo.