Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I like fighting the robots.

Did my first haunted on a 3x dreadnaught hunt the other night and the cave complex was an absolute maze and it was closest O think I've come in a video game to feeling like I was in an actual real life nightmare. We did it, by god, amazing teamwork, we even did the event, but it was a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Lib and let die posted:

Semi-related, but I prefer to play this game in a group and when I don't have anyone around to mine with, Hardspace: Shipbreaker is a really cool single-player version of the DRG experience (that also invokes some interesting future dystopia cyberpunkish stuff like "the company sponsored this surgery and you're done working for us once you pay off the $12b we magnanimously loaned you now get out there and start breaking down space ships, cutter!")

(I mention it because this is insanely relevant to both games):

I too have been double dipping into my corporate dystopias based on classic company town mechanics and playing Shipbreaker.

Shipbreakers story is tight ao far. Its a constant struggle to figure out which to play.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 9, 2022

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Every time I've been in the situation it's actually been multiple engineers.

Sometimes it's four engineers, which let me tell you gets really fun really fast when you've got eight turrets and can all refill each others ammo while you blow stuff to smithereens.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Have eight turrets going on a mission and tell me how anemic they are. :V

That was a fun Haz4, I wonder how well engi supremacy would work on haz5 though. Probably run out of ammo pretty quick...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Playing haz5 lately, I just like the PGL better than the breach cutter. It's more satisfying, and better at getting me out of bad situations in my experience.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The only toxicity I've run into has been in Haz4 lobbies and its gone completely since I moved to Haz5.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

We're rich

I had someone drop a bittergem into the refinery earlier today without letting any of us ping it first. :(

This seems to be the haz5 meta in terms of most dominant/most common play strategies:

Wait until everyone says "r" before triggering the next swarm/stage of the level/event
Ping Nitra so the scout/engie know to platform/mine
Take Iron Will as gunner/scout
Always ping gold and bittergems repeatedly for as long as is reasonably possible or until you get bored
If the group stays together for a second mission, get drunk beforehand, at least a little
Ping the entrance to driller tunnels so people have a chance of knowing they exist. Note: This still doesn't work.
Ping "major" enemies so they get highlighted for everyone
When on a defense mission call down every drop pod you can before triggering the final defense. Try to kill bugs with them if possible.
Actually use your flares occasionally as scout
Accidentally trigger the Bet-C before anyone is ready (I think this has happened every single time there's been a haz5 BetC for me)
Put up platforms for that robot totem pole thing event

Uhhh... I'm sure there's other stuff too.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Krowley posted:

Always carry doretta back to the drop pod.

I love that this is a thing, I love that they made it possible for it to be a thing, and I love that absolutely everyone does it despite their being no in game benefit to doing so whatsoever.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

you used to not be able to save doretta, this was patched in due to overwhelming player demand

at some point recently doretta appears on the space rig, im not sure what makes her visible but i think its based on whether you saved her or not last time you had the chance. so that is an in game benefit i guess, being able to spend more time hanging out with your best friend doretta

I can't imagine how many man-hours the whole thing took to implement, but it was probably a lot (there's nothing else that uses logic that lets it be retrieved from on site already right?) and it's incredible that they did it in response to player desires. That's a responsive company.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Haz5 is something anyone who wants it is gonna grab by what, Rank 20? The Haz4 lobbies always seem to consider anyone less than rank 100 as unworthy of their time, its such a weird cutoff.

I got to see my first Nemesis teleport in in front of my face today. I always thought they spawned with the caves like some of the other enemies but no, this dude literally just phased in literally feet away from me. And I couldn't loving ping him to let me teammates know because we were in a tunnel I was running a way and molly was running with me and constantly getting in the way. I swear she was weaving back and forth specifically to block my ping, it was terrible!

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 19, 2022

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

My scout primary OCs, I've decided, are garbage. My best one seems to be Shield Boost on the plasma rifle and Shield Boost is... not good. I was really excited when I saw it because I love high risk high reward playstyles, but it turns out it leaves out the "high reward bit" and is just high risk instead.

Been playing all the classes lately though (finally trying out the gunner for a little bit and really disappointed with the Thunderhead, it does not feel nearly as good as the minigun does, a lot less oomph when you shoot) and the good OCs Ive got are pretty fun, looking forward to getting some more on driller and scout.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 20, 2022

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah thats the real issue the damage is just lackluster for the multitude of drawbacks and how much less time you can spend putting that damage out, even assuming you manage to stay at 100% shield at all times Im honestly not sure you come out ahead in terms of damage over time.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

How do I use this wave cooker properly. What a weird weapon. Whats it for?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

I highly highly recommend everyone set something marginally acceptable in every loadout slot so that they don't find themselves in a mission with base weapons and no perks because they inadvertently switched loadouts.

Trust me on this one.

Wait, can you switch loadouts on the character select screen or otherwise when prepping for a mission!?!?

I have been desperate for a way to actually change my builds without having to realize I'm badly specced for the mission, back out, go to the machine, and change up a bunch of stuff only to go back and find there aren't any more groups to join.

It's great to hear I'm not the only one playing an Ork on one of my characters though! :v:

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 26, 2022

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Tonight I discovered a mission can have multiple nemesis spawns.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

All the secondaries do something your primary doesn't for driller - kill things at range.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

There are those achievements for running a mission without a down and without a supply drop.

Got that on Haz5 with a group of randos a couple weeks ago. Still need to get the Haz4 one though. It was fun when we realized and everyone was like "hey holy poo poo no one drop a supply pod" and then at the end I was like "phew, can't believe no one went down during that extraction, that was close" and someone commented that they hadn't even realized they needed to stay alive for it, so we got pretty lucky!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

That's honestly something drillers should just be generally doing pretty much all the time. Unless you're in mactera plague or there are absolutely loads of spitters, having clear sight lines and open approaches is the difference between a fairly easy run, and an absolutel nightmare, especially on point defences. Having stuff to hide behind doesn't help anywhere near as much as being able to shoot stuff before you need to hide from it.

And on those levels and other ranged enemy levels, instead of clearing the area just dig some quick tunnels in the wall next to the open arena so players have somewhere to retreat to if they are overwhelmed by ranged attacks.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I think most players enjoy the downtime between waves to a certain extent, and the lower haz levels I think exist specifically so you can spend most of your time chilling and exploring and completing the objectives without that constant stress that players will feel even for relatively squishy waves
Essentially, it reduces how much time you need to spend being vigilant, which I think is exactly what most players who play lower hazard levels want - more time to just chill playing their mining game or explore both mechanics and the levels and to shoot the poo poo with friends.

As for more challenging levels and complexity modifiers than the simple haz stuff, isnt that explicitly what modifiers are for? Its why you get more experience for challenge modifiers.

Finally they do support mods to let you control your stuff even more, which hardly any modern multiplayer games seem to do, so thats super appreciated.

I dont think the way its implemented now is perfect, but any additional complexity would greatly increase the odds of players ending up on lobbies quite a bit more or different difficult than they expected, which would be bad - even the current system is often something Ive noticed new players often struggle with for a while before they understand, somehow.

Finally - the game already HAS a haz 3.5, there are more haz levels as you can see. Elite Deep Dives start at Haz 4.5 and go to Haz 5.5 dont they?

Also, on Omens:

I like omens. Just the right amount of difficulty imo. Korloks are the only thing I ever really find unfair.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 13, 2022

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

truther posted:

I saw someone ask about Engi loadouts when fighting robots, but my problem is with Driller.

I generally don't mix/max or swap loadouts depending on missions, but I've found the sentry robots to be very difficult using my ice cannon thing as Driller.
The damage just isn't there, and the bots can't be frozen.

Any advice?

Just create a second flamer loadout. You do it once and you're good forever, its one click on the mission screen to switch to it from then on out whenever you run into bots.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I've been joining Haz... 6(?) lobbies. They don't have strict numbers I guess past 5.5, but the lobbies that are Haz 5 but have spawns set to 150%, usually with wave frequency increased.

Now those are fun.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Two remarkable features of the DRG situation:

1. the game's success and ongoing time investment from players has sapped the potential market for other games in the same broad genre

One my regular co-players loves DRG but genuinely wants to move on and hasn't found anything else they've liked. I'm in that same boat myself in a lot of ways, to be honest. I don't think there actually are any other games I'd really consider to be in the same genre. I'm not even sure what I'd consider the core genre to be. Co-op shooters maybe? Or co-op mission-based games? It feels like a really strong blend of the two genres.

But what else is there that's even close? The closest competitors I can think of in the co-op shooter (Borderlands? Vermintide? Rainbow Six?) strip out so many of the vital foundational elements DRG is built on that its genuinely hard to recommend them to people who like DRG. It would be like recommending Overwatch to someone who said they were a fan of Red Dead Redemption because they both involve shooting, or recommending Keep Talking And No One Explodes to someone who likes Among Us because they both involve completing "tasks". If anything I've found my DRG friends to be more inclined to play games like Phasmophobia or Dead By Daylight or Helldivers (the cooperative mission based games) than Left 4 Dead. But I don't know how representative that is.

And every one of those games lack the core exploration, pathfinding, and prioritization-juggling elements that make DRG so reliably engaging for many people (and are, in a way, the primary focus - the shooting in DRG is fun, but its presence mostly exists to add tension and urgency to doing the stuff that actually matters, and the missions that focus exclusively on shooting over the normal approach like industrial sabotage are widely panned as the worst mission types).

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 25, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

See, the thing is, I hated Left 4 Dead, and all those "co-op horde shooter" games seem like progressions on the core Left 4 Dead formula (progress from room to room as fast as possible killing everything you come across) rather than games that are trying to fill the same sort of niche as DRG. Even if I feel like playing a game where "co-op shooter" is the primary element, that's not the lineage the games I like pull from. I know some of my DRG peeps love those other horde shooter games too, but there are a lot of DRG players that just... don't, at all.

I genuinely think DRG more like a progression of the mission based games genre , which all have the same core "get in, figure out how to get the tasks and maybe bonus side goals done before you get worn down or overwhelmed, then get out" foundation. (Phasmo, Hardspace, Project: Winter)

Then you have exploration & traversal layered on top as the primary set of gameplay challenges to overcome within that structure (which in practical terms requires procedural generation to prevent it from becoming a solved problem), and finally you add Left4Dead-like horde shooter mechanics on top of it all to apply the pressure and tension.

Of those three major components of the DRG soup, I honestly think the wave shooter elements are the least crucial to creating a game that "feels" like DRG, in a lot of ways.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 25, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I think it's very telling that the primary differences between the classes in DRG are not about how the classes shoot enemies, but rather how they move around, how they alter the map, and how they control the terms of engagement.

Take away all the weapons and replace them with the same exact generic weapon for every class, and it feels like you'd still have more class-based diversity than any of those other horde shooters have managed.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Atomizer posted:

I'm curious, when you say you "hated" L4D, is that back when it was first released in 2007, or more recently? Because I played the poo poo out of it with my brothers back in '07, but now, when I fire up L4D2 once in a while, it feels dated and doesn't have the same charm (although, to be fair, that's probably to be expected given its age.) Originally, however, there was nothing else quite like L4D that I can remember; KF and Payday came out years later.

I hated it the first time I played it back when it came out, just really not my type of game at all. If I wanted to play a co-op shooter back then, I was much happier going back to Halo 2 and spending a couple hours trying to steal Banshees together and shove them places they shouldn't be able to go than trying to find a way to enjoy L4D. Everything about L4D, to me, was just incredibly boring.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Oh yeah, what is calling Molly etiquette?

Repeatedly press the call button because your deposit is more important than their deposit and by god if they don't realize it they need to learn.

Nah, but more seriously, just call it when you need it. If the beacon immediately goes away, it's because someone else is using it and called her back, so either wait a bit and try again or make your way to wherever it is, but there's never any real harm from calling first and thinking later in my experience, because its so easy for the other dwarves to immediately overrule.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 27, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Sludge pump is by far my favorite driller weapon, it's very much a "take a shot or two and then focus on something else for a while" fire and forget sort of weapon. It slows down bosses and big enemies, you don't have to deal with armor, it's got AoE at a decent range, and its got fun synergies. If you're trying to do focused damage with it with it you're using it wrong.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I have no idea what I take because I forgot armors had upgrades until this exact moment, and considering I've been assigning new builds lately I might actually not be taking anything...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

yall play with some extraordinarily bad scouts

It's the easiest class to very badly, so that's what happens a lot.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Tommy the Newt posted:

I haven't noticed a particular class being more or less prone to attract bad players, except maybe gunners at lower levels because it's the tutorial class and seemingly the natural choice for people's first few outings - which is totally understandable. A full squad of scouts can do great if people know what they're doing, if they don't then it's the same with all the classes except maybe engineer where there's enough automation to provide a bit of a buffer.

I didn't mean scouts have more bad players, I met scouts have a lower skill floor so being a bad player or even having a bad night is a hell of a lot more noticeable. If you gently caress up as a gunner you usually just kill enemies more slowly or take a bit more damage before they die. You might screw the pooch by forgetting to throw out your shield but it especially on Haz 3 but even on higher haz, it just doesn't matter that much and usually you don't actually need it. An engineer forgetting to put out turrets is lowering his DPS but he's not producing any sort of active drag on the mission. A bad driller is gonna waste fuel and won't be doing clutch shortcuts, but its almost never a problem to just go around, the drilling is usually a convenience/speed thing, and of the three its the most notable.

A bad scout, though, is going to kill themselves, repeatedly, trying to do normal scout things, because normal scout things are inherently more dangerous than normal other-class things most of the time - gravity is the biggest killer, and a scout is constantly putting themselves in positions where death is likely! A bad scout forgets to use flares, which the whole team can feel and unlike with the mobility options on gunner/engie/driller, they don't have their own ways to compensate for it. When they do die, they're going to do it in inconvenient and inaccessible locations. A bad scout is going to result in nitra shortages as they miss those vital minerals. And a bad scout probably isn't contributing all that much to the team's DPS either, since applying their damage output effectively is about target prioritization and mobility instead of just shooting at whatever is nearest like most of the other classes can do while still being pretty damned effective.

Of all the classes, it is by far the easiest class to play badly, and in a way the rest of your team will absolutely notice.

quote:

for more high level scout play, nitra sticks out of the wall a bit such that if the wall itself isn't sloping inwards too hard, you can stand on the nitra you're mining as you mine it, no platform needed

For high level scout play, a slope or ledge isn't needed because you just power-attack yourself one. There aren't many minerals you *need* a platform for if you get that trick down.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 9, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Tombot posted:

It doesn't happen too often, but It's really annoying when I have all four of my dwarves up for promotion at once. That's 16 missions in a row with no rewards (aside from the promotion but that just takes the money I earned away from me).

Never do a promotion again after the first because you get nothing and pay out the rear end for the privilege, that's my opinion. Just let 'em all sit at lv25

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Also, slightly different advice: Consider playing engineer, if you aren't already. Let the automated turrets deal with the annoying bugs on the ceilings, you take out the big groups directly with one or two shots, it's just very chill gameplay solo compared to something like gunner or driller.

Scout is interesting in that it's a class that lets you largely just *ignore* the bugs, but that doesn't sound like what you want either since there's still constant pressure.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

My missions don't play anything like that, on Haz 3 I have tons of downtime, that's very odd.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I deal with omens by staying out of range and taking pot shots at drones, then rushing in to pick my allies back up before retreating back out of range. Repeat as many times as is necessary. I can't remember the last time we failed one, regardless of how organized, disorganized, green or experienced the people attempting it was. In my experience all you really need is a single good scout making sure people can keep trying until you win.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Putting some time into all of them eventually is a must just because having an idea of how the other classes work is valuable, but beyond basic familiarity just play what you want.

For example, I play every class except Gunner because I don't Gunner, but at the beginning I just played scout. Then I dabbled into engineer for a while, and finally discovered a love of the driller, and now I switch between the three classes on a whim.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

At least solo you can have bosco construct the acual pipelines and not have to do that, you can just focus on making the paths.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Dogen posted:

Brother drillers,
All driller primaries are good
Thank you for your time

Flamethrower is for when you want to enjoy murdering lots of stuff directly as quickly as possible
Cryo is for when you want to have control over the battelfield and help the team maximize their damage
Sludge Pump is for when you want to focus on drilling and not pay much attention to fighting bugs despite being very good at killing them and making it so your teammates are safer and more effective. It's the fire and forget gun. (Or the fire and switch to secondary to kill other things)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 9, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

:ssh: frozen bugs take extra damage but can't be critted

Yes, but it allows you to easily get into position to continue hitting those weakpoints after the freeze breaks.

Ciaphas posted:

I just can't stay away from the flamethrower because every robot on hoxxes needs a grillin'

'cept molly and dottie. they're cool

What's your opinion on betsy?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Driller is exceptional in Industrial Sabotage if they have either a gunner who knows how to make them useful or are given a bit of time to prep properly. A decent driller let's you skip a third of the fight completely.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Oneiros posted:

is that in reference to c4-ing the caretaker because i think every time i've seen someone try it i end up having to pick them up

Me group does that pretty regularly, yes. Get a nice zipline over the top, drop a couple on its head during the brief downtime with a quick zip, and blow em as soon as the corners open. Makes the whole thing go a lot quicker and easier, and we usually play on Haz 5, so...

Technically you can also dig a tunnel up to the ceiling and drop stuff down the hole (setting up a sniper nest up there is a nice safish place for the scout to operate from sometimes too) but honestly it takes to long and we never do it anymore.

The whole thing about the caretaker fight though is it goes a lot easier if you actually do a bit of prep work, and even without the C4 driller is great at creating tunnels and hideyholes for the other players to use if they need them and get around to people who are downed

Ravenfood posted:

And unlike all the other traversal options they are just hideously dangerous to use in-combat. So many people hop on them to avoid the ground bugs and then focus everything on a few people and! get themselves sniped by Mactera or spitters and plummet to their deaths.

More gunners really need to take the disconnect protection, especially since it's a permanent buff to the entire team for the duration of the mission (after touching a zipline to get it, and it does need to be touched again after dying, but still) and not just limited to ziplines.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

so wait is all this caretaker c4 talk meant for the plates phase or the eyes phase? i'm taking some notes here

while i'm at it, do i need to be well above the caretaker or anything like that, or is anywhere fine long as the c4 lands roof center?

When the corners open up, a c4 in the center of the head will hit all them. It takes 2 c4 to kill all of them, but even 1 speeds things up a lot.