Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is it just me or is Engineer waaay better at killing poo poo than the other dwarves? Even his basic shotgun & grenade launcher will pulp bugs like nobody's business. Once you have the SMG, breach cutter, and Gemini Defender sentries, it's trivial to get as many kills as the rest of the team put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Serephina posted:

Single Turret (& fast-setup) are much more useful when constantly repositioning the turret to use it for the electric shockwave OC thingie that the stubby has. Dualies are popular, but the most popular engi setup that I've personally seen is 'no turrets at all', drat loving slackers.

I always put down my turrets the minute Mission Control reports an incoming wave, taking care to overlap their firing arcs and maximize coverage

that way it's not as big a deal if I gently caress off to collect some crafting minerals or repair a cargo crate

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 9, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Just primary & secondary. I badly want some turret overclocks but no such luck.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

so far this week Molly has:

-while following me, chosen to park her tin rear end on top of a two-story-tall cave coral instead of the ground next to me
-sat down right in the middle of a cramped passage blocking my escape from a swarm
-knocked me off of a ledge two hundred feet in the air
-pushed me into a satchel charge's blast radius as I was hitting the detonator
-also her lights have all turned blood red and she keeps saying "I'm sorry Dwarve, I can't let you do that"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

life_source posted:

Very realistic for a mule. I want to buy whoever programmed Molly a drink back at the bar.

I forgot the best one: taking a shortcut back to the drop pod using one of the vertical shafts cut by an incoming supply pod

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What's the secret to the Experimental Plasma Charger? At a glance it seems pretty useless compared to the Subata 120.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've decided the 40mm PGL is my favorite weapon. Pulping an entire wave of grunts the second they poke their heads above ground is so satisfying.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I get my rear end kicked all over the place on Hazard 4+5. Are there any good general tips for staying alive?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

like i said, unwieldy

i want to love it but the breach cutter just seems a lot more versatile and considerably less prone to getting tried for war crimes

you say this but the cutter's best overclock makes its shots boomerang back into your team

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Serephina posted:

SELL ME ON CLEAN SWEEP.

I got fat boy as my second OC dropped and never looked back. I've been trying to go back to Clean sweep + fire Aoe (since fire does full dmg over all aoe), but the 6m radii seems to 1) deal way too much friendly fire to use in close quarters, while also 2) not actually deleting waves like I want it to. If I have to fire a second shot I've basically lost the ammo advantage and might as well be running fatboy again. I still need to try the Friendly perk, even though it dosn't stop self-dmg, but I can't think of what else I'm doing wrong. Like, the breach cutter is *right there* with it's 18ish ammo and never fails to please, it's not like the different firing angles the PGL has makes up for the difference.

if all else fails don't use fire

I use Clean Sweep with Fragmentary Shells, Expanded Ammo Bags, High Velocity Grenades, Nails + Tape, and Proximity Trigger. It is an instant grunt eraser at any range.

I've always considered Friendly to be mandatory on Engineer, although it seems like the bigger friendly-fire risk is people walking into my Elephant Bulldog or focused M1000 shots.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The wiki says Slashers have more health than a Clean Sweep round but they can still die if they're near the center of the blast. Guards will always survive, but survivors are what your sentries & shotgun are for.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TIL the growing brambles in Hollow Bough can be permanently destroyed, not just driven back

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Look when you're deep underground, sometimes the shortest distance between two lines involves tunneling around a difficult obstacle

or spinning 360° in place

while standing on your front end

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The first extra passive perk slot is in the fourth tier of the perk list, and the second slot is in the very last tier.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 20, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think I severely underestimated Hawkeye turrets with Turret Whip. They're almost a PGL replacement all on their own.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Serephina posted:

Always seemed like too much fiddling for my likes, which means when you get caught when your pants down you can't do the fiddly cool stuff and just fall over. Kinda my experience with EMP turrets; they're awesome, right up until a grunt stands between you and it and suddenly you can't trigger it anymore and have to bail. But it's a cool trick and it covers my 'aoe' needs, allowing me to do silly stuff like run hyperpropellant. So for your hawkeye turrets, you give up the good turrets, run the shotgun with turret whip (no loss), to gain PGL-lite. Fair deal, but what do you run with your free secondary slot, Spinning Death? Do you find the hawkeye wasting ammo a lot?

I've just been using Light-Weight Cases so far.

I guess the Hawkeyes "waste" bullets firing at bugs in between Whips, but it's either let them shoot or Whip them before they're properly locked on.

IronicDongz posted:

but why not run defender turrets so they actually do good damage when you're not whipping them

:ssh: Defenders do much better damage than unwhipped Hawkeyes, but it's still not good damage

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 21, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I like to shoot things before they fight me, wherever possible

Since Whip has a cooldown, Geminis mean twice the Whipping, which is way better than the Mk2's boosts to standard shooting. That cooldown also makes 360° coverage more important.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 21, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

They do run out of ammo really quick under constant whips. It's also true that you're entirely dependent on the map allowing you to take advantage of that extra range.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yeah, it worked really well the first few times but now I can't make my ammo last to save my life. It must have just been dumb luck.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 21, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:suicide:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

they were all high overhead with not enough solid rock underneath

one of them was right next to the refinery drill hole

Dogen posted:

Solo?! But why?

sometimes I get fed up with scouts who don't use their flares, or engineers who don't use their platforms and sentries, or gunners who spam X without stopping and then open the dread cocoon on their own, or drillers who spend the entire mission lost and then hit the escape button before anyone else is ready

this time I paid the price

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 23, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think you can only deconstruct pipes that aren't connected to the pumpjack yet.

To build a connected pipe easier, tap E to start grinding and then hold E. You'll automatically stop at the first unbuilt section and start building it. Bosco can be ordered to build pipes too, by laser-pointing the pipe connector nearest to the refinery; he'll go all the way down the line on a single order. That's the only reason I managed to complete the mission above.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 25, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've encountered a recurring glitch where I find a core infuser, tell the whole rest of the team about it, and then at the end of the mission they all reflexively rush to slam that jolly candy escape pod button

am I meant to solo the infuser events without telling anyone

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I thought this cave was extra pretty so I screenshotted it :shobon:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

shut up I'm trying to sleep

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

I keep hearing Deep Rock Galactic in the tune of Beastie Boys "Intergalactic" and I can't make it stop.

Adrock and Stone

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I need to take a dump

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I use 2 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 2, for max electrocutions. My favorite overclock is EM Refire Booster, which boosts fire rate & electric damage at the cost of reduced accuracy. Lead off with a PGL or cutter shot and use Stubby to finish off any survivors. Grunts will go down way faster if you can consistently hit them in the mouth.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I feel like I'm missing something with the autocannon. It's not bad at all, but unless I'm going up against Exploder Infestation or Swarmageddon I always feel like I do better with the minigun.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Neurotoxin is real good, yeah. I keep waffling between that and Carpet Bomber since the AoE is the obvious biggest thing that the autocannon has over the minigun, but I can't decide which one is better.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yes but on the other hand, MINIGUN

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Two more guns I am failing utterly to get: the M1000 Classic and Zhukov NUK17. No matter how I build them, I either have not enough ammo or not enough damage, while doing nothing I can't do better with the GK2 and boomstick. Which of their overclocks are supposed to be good?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think my main problem is that I'm way worse at headshotting grunts with the first M1000 shot than I am with the second or third GK2 shot.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BMan posted:

M1000 doesn't fire on mouse button down, feels bad imo

Holy poo poo this is exactly it, thank you

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

boloney posted:

the problem with the zhukovs is that no matter what build you use, it's competing with shotgun jump which is far and away the single best overclock in the game. so its a losing proposition no matter how you slice it

:hmmyes:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

after some more practice I have decided that the M1000 is Good but Hipster and NUK17s are still, in a very technical sense, poopy butt

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

how is it that everyone who wears the Scale Brigade armor, or Black Crag armor color, or berets, cowboy hats and Gloomstalker Masks, is awful at the game no matter their promotion level

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

oh are you the one who walked into six different leeches when I was playing this week's EDD yesterday

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Engineer doesn't really have a good oh-poo poo button for when things go wrong and they get overrun. They're better than any other dwarf at killing all the bugs before that can ever happen, but it requires a lot of planning & situational awareness that you don't always get time for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

so when I'm surrounded by slashers and can't get away I should just launch a nuke at my feet, and it'll work every bit as well as Gunner dropping a shield or Scout grappling to safety