Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
He seemed lazy to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

He seemed lazy to me

He let his brain do all the leg work

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Rex-Goliath posted:

als

btw just want to remind everyone: gently caress als

yeah ALS is really really bad.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

i guess he'll never be the functional arms and legs of a major corporation

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

IronClaymore posted:

Nah, he brained so drat good he brained his body going 50 years longer than it should have gone. That's like a regular person living to 130 on braininess alone.

My wife an I were literally just talking about this when I read your comment. It may not be so far from the truth. Having motor neurone disease is usually an 18 month death warrant, and he had it since the early 1960’s. There was something pretty extraordinary going on there..

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Now I see it's more of a Fruitopia.

Osric
Sep 25, 2012

Fuckstick posted:

My wife an I were literally just talking about this when I read your comment. It may not be so far from the truth. Having motor neurone disease is usually an 18 month death warrant, and he had it since the early 1960’s. There was something pretty extraordinary going on there..
That's not how MND works. His survival was extraordinary and would make him exceptional if he'd never done anything of note other than continue breathing. But his survival is almost certainly entirely unrelated to his intelligence. It's just a coincidence that he happened to be a genuinely exceptional human being in two distinct ways.

Also, I am kinda glad that maybe people will stop making Stephen Hawkings jokes eventually now that he's dead? It's not that I think they're offensive exactly, it's just that they're really not funny. People do a lovely impression of a computerised voice saying something, anything, and then they laugh uproariously. Because that's what Stephen Hawkings talks like. Let that poo poo die with him.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Osric posted:

That's not how MND works. His survival was extraordinary and would make him exceptional if he'd never done anything of note other than continue breathing. But his survival is almost certainly entirely unrelated to his intelligence. It's just a coincidence that he happened to be a genuinely exceptional human being in two distinct ways.

It’s obvious the greys cut off his meds when he failed to kill the NY Times UFO article :tinfoil:

Osric posted:

Also, I am kinda glad that maybe people will stop making Stephen Hawkings jokes eventually now that he's dead? It's not that I think they're offensive exactly, it's just that they're really not funny. People do a lovely impression of a computerised voice saying something, anything, and then they laugh uproariously. Because that's what Stephen Hawkings talks like. Let that poo poo die with him.

Hawking himself praised parodies such as MC Hawking:

[quote="wikipedia"]
Stephen Hawking has said that he is "flattered, as it's a modern-day equivalent to Spitting Image".[2] On the inside cover of A Brief History of Rhyme, Lawrence thanks Stephen Hawking "for taking this joke in the spirit that it was intended."[/2]

I think it’s a little ableist for you to think you know more than the literal genius himself about what he should be offended by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUguUhKoVjI

Osric
Sep 25, 2012

Caganer posted:

It’s obvious the greys cut off his meds when he failed to kill the NY Times UFO article :tinfoil:

Hawking himself praised parodies such as MC Hawking:

[quote="wikipedia"]
Stephen Hawking has said that he is "flattered, as it's a modern-day equivalent to Spitting Image".[2] On the inside cover of A Brief History of Rhyme, Lawrence thanks Stephen Hawking "for taking this joke in the spirit that it was intended."[/2]

I think it’s a little ableist for you to think you know more than the literal genius himself about what he should be offended by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUguUhKoVjI
I'm aware Hawkings was tolerant of the stupid unfunny poo poo. It was still stupid and unfunny.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Osric posted:

I'm aware Hawkings was tolerant of the stupid unfunny poo poo. It was still stupid and unfunny.

I guess you know more than Hawking and thousands of album purchasers :shrug:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
thousands of people watch jeff dunham but he sucks so :shrug:

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
little known fact: Stephen Hawking was an avid fan of Captain Dan pirate rap

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

He seemed lazy to me

Norm Macdonald?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Hawking recently joined a legal action to prevent further privatisation of the NHS and I'm shocked at his murder by Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My last few memories of Steven Hawking was him being really paranoid about aliens, have alex jones or Eddie bravo started going crazy about this yet

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Caganer posted:

I guess you know more than Hawking and thousands of album purchasers :shrug:

dozens of people can't be wrong!

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Osric posted:

it's me, Stephen Hocking. Lighten up dork

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kazak posted:

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kazak posted:

:eyepoop:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Kazak posted:

:master:

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Kazak posted:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RaceBannon posted:

yeah ALS is really really bad.

Neurological research has barely advanced for decades.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Do you think he ever ate some McDonald’s

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Neurological research has barely advanced for decades.

Weird how after 8 yearsof a President who acts like stem cells come from toddlers force fed like foi gras then murdered we haven’t advanced a cure :shrug:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Osric posted:

Congratulations on not finding something funny that some other people find funny. I hope you're surrounded by family and friends to help you celebrate on this momentous day.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
ill bet steven hawking would have loved the idea of people sitting around making a robot voice go PISS TAPE IS REAL and other science facts as a way of coping with our sadness that he's gone.

when the interviewed him about mc hawking he said it's "like in living color" which was the funny puppet show before crank yankers, showing that he is a smart science man who likes good comedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UIOGr-pLdg

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Kazak posted:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Caganer posted:

Weird how after 8 yearsof a President who acts like stem cells come from toddlers force fed like foi gras then murdered we haven’t advanced a cure :shrug:

poo poo like MS has been known for like 200 years, and they don’t even know how or why it exists lol.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Caganer posted:

you don't get to blame bush for setting back science that didn't advance under obama either, you partisan retard

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

The Dennis System posted:

My theory is that Stephen Hawking was a pop or celebrity type scientist, in the vein of Carl Sagan, who was kind of an intellectual lightweight and wasn't all that respected by his peers on a professional level.

iirc the answer is somewhere in the middle - he did credible cutting-edge work and advanced legitimate theories, but his character and disability made him far more famous than some of his significantly more influential contemporaries

otoh he was a good lad who wanted to run over thatcher and refused a knighthood because the government wouldn't fund science properly, so he's definitely the best scientist

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

feelix posted:

you don't get to blame bush for setting back science that didn't advance under obama either, you partisan retard

it's not a 1:1 setback to progress ratio. science takes years and 8 years of no funding because sky man said stem cells bad most certainly will have rippling effects.

and don't use that word as an insult, it's ableist.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Caganer posted:

it's not a 1:1 setback to progress ratio. science takes years and 8 years of no funding because sky man said stem cells bad most certainly will have rippling effects.
seems like an evidence-based argument and not just handwaving based on being a partisan concern trolling retard

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

feelix posted:

seems like an evidence-based argument and not just handwaving based on being a partisan concern trolling retard

well we probably went too far in the other direction under obama wrt science (from hating it to using it to drone weddings)

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FullLeatherJacket posted:

otoh he was a good lad who wanted to run over thatcher and refused a knighthood because the government wouldn't fund science properly, so he's definitely the best scientist

Prime minister, prime minister! Unemployment is on the rise, the health system is overburdened and poverty runs rampant!

Put. More. Money. In. Astrophysics!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Prime minister, prime minister! Unemployment is on the rise, the health system is overburdened and poverty runs rampant!

your implication that we spent to much on the dole to afford more science is lacking in rigor.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'm not sure how you got the idea he was complaining about people being on welfare n and of itself out of that.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Basically there would be no science with this attitude since The Crisis seems to be a permanent fixture now.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Stephen Hawking's ashes to be buried at Westminster Abbey

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/mar/20/stephen-hawkings-ashes-to-be-interred-at-westminster-abbey

:3:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

We need a combination of :3: and :smith: for stuff like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Caganer posted: