Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I DEP'ed in with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, back in the day prior to OEF. Trained with 1st RTR at MCRD-SD, back when we ran The Crucible to get your EGA. Came in as a 267X, got to DLI and they made me a 76, so I figured I'd do Turbo-Serbo and end up in KFOR. But before I even PCS'ed to RadBn at K-Bay, instead I put in for ECP, went over to the dark side and did my green-to-gold at OCS, came out a mustang. Went through TBS, did the lottery and pulled 0802, my Top 1. Did AOBC at Sill, was about a rock with the battle-axe in the FDC but got Company High Shooter for CFF. Then right out of MOS school I get the good word that there's no leave no libo, just straight to the Fleet, most ricky-tick. Kit up, ninety-six and a wakeup and I ship out with my battery, on a bird to LSA-7 in the workup for OIF-I.

Ended up OPCON to LAR as an FO, baby butterbar in a salty unit fresh off a PacFloat with the MEF, and me still making GBS threads third-phase chow. We hooked west of Nasariyah, hit some poo poo in Diwaniyah Valley. A lance-coolie Blue-on-Blued himself stepping on DPICM, bit it on the MEDEVAC before the Golden Hour was up. Doing route-recon west of Al Kut our point hit the X and skipped like eight RPGs off his LAV's glacis, turns out there's three fireteams of fedayeen in the treeline. So we herringbone, scouts out, lay down some 81s, then I do my FO deal and bring down 155 HE-VT, steel on steel. So much 25mm going downrange, we were about winchester by the time the FAC got a whirlybird on station; no kill like overkill. Ran a screen on Diyalah Canal, watched the base bleeds arc overhead to the POI all around BIAP. Called in an FFE on an IRG 82mm pos before EOH; I couldn't raise any tubes on my PRC, but buddy had them licking-chicken and did a relay. Got my CAR and a LOC for all that, along with the PUC. Floated back on an LPD-8 gator-freighter, blew my sea-pay in Cairns until this SP taps me 30 mics before cindarella, just when I was about to get my Article 125 on with this good-to-go tracer civvie.

Popped smoke and back to 29P, barely had time to pin on my silver bar and run a CAX before the scuttlebutt goes round that FRLs are tearing it up, and we got OIF-II. I spent most of that tour playing with CAG, running CERP and just handing out bricks like they were poguey bait, and doing T&E for the INP and ICDC and just praying they wouldn't Green-on-Blue me. Thought about Augmenting but decided I was a terminal O-2, so I finished on an XO hitch. EASed and off to UT on the MGIB, file for comp with DAV, dodge MOBCOM until my IRR runs out, and get straight with the wizards at the VA.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
de Delta FO, k

I edited my post like 20 times because I kept finding more words I could replace with jargon, plus adding my true story about my run-in with SP.

There are two things bugging the gently caress out of me that I simply couldn't recall and include:

-- What's the acronym/jargon for at the end of an artillery mission where the FO is supposed to call the FDC and say "killed 20 troops" or "M-kill three tanks" or the very-disliked "suppressed [anything]" since it kinda implies you didn't do anything but make noise. I googled "Casualty Assessment" and similar terms but that's not it, and it's not AOR or AAR.

-- I really should know this but it's been 15 years: what's the radio channel that the artillery FO is on? Is it just "Call For Fire net"? I could swear there's a different name.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Mr. Nice! posted:

Damnit i missed a few. But yeah i enjoyed this thread. My favorite radio stuff was when we did joint ops with the JMSDF. Something about katakana sounding roger outo just did made me smile every time.

Which ones did you miss? I dunno, should I and anyone else with a story put a translation in spoilers?

quote:

you forgot to include "Ma Deuce" into it which triggers me

Nah, I had an M240...E? The one with the spade-grips. It was very unbecoming of an officer.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Steezo posted:

Effect on Target (Positive/Negative)? End of Mission? By Piece, By Round, At My Command mission and neglect to tell them for 8 to 24 hours the first round hit? Splash?

Bingo, that's the one. Google found me a handout from AOBC and it made clear that the End of Mission message includes Surveillance, which is where you say "Two BMPs suppressed, estimate six casualties"

There's an acronym for ending a fire mission, "RRES": Refinement, Record as Target, End of Mission, Surveillance.

quote:

I think it was just called 'fires'?

That sounds about as familiar as any other term, so I can dig it.

• Locked thread