Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So RIFT was a really good WoW style MMO that came out in 2011. It was generic, but had a neat class system that was pretty intricate, a cool and innovative (at the time) open world quest system, and excellent raids. I played from launch for about two years and I think it had the best MMO raiding I've ever played.

However, since 2011, the game has really gone down hill, apparently, and it's a pay to win cash shop freemium garbage shadow of its former self. I haven't heard a single good thing about new school RIFT.

HOWEVER

on March 8th the first RIFT progression server was launched. It aims to take players through the first two years or so of content at an accelerated pace. They haven't changed the core experience at all from launch - apparently all they've added are a few QoL things (like a LFG tool and a raid finder) and some cosmetics from later on. While the bad contemporary RIFT is free, you have to subscribe to get access to the progression server.

quote:

How is the RIFT Prime server different from the RIFT live servers?
While RIFT is a free-to-play game, the RIFT Prime server is an exclusive server that requires RIFT Patron status to access.

The RIFT Prime server features a limited in-game credit shop that only contains cosmetic and service items. Expansion unlocks and add-on content – such as souls or equipment slots – are included as part of RIFT Prime server access for all players on the server.

Some features and content from RIFT’s live servers are unavailable on RIFT Prime, including Minions, Instant Adventures, and the Primalist Calling.

RIFT Prime characters will be automatically level restricted to the level of the open-world zone they’re in. While characters that are over-levelled for the zone will still possess a slight advantage due to additional skills and equipment scaling, they won’t be able to show up and trivialize world event content. In exchange, the experience and event rewards gained while adventuring in these auto-mentored situations will remain relevant to the character’s normal level.

What type of optional purchases are available on the RIFT Prime server?
RIFT Prime possesses a limited in-game credit shop that features cosmetic items (mounts, companion pets, dyes, warfront announcers, costumes, etc) as well as a small number of services (Name Change Scrolls, Guild Rally Banners, etc). There will be no lockboxes or equipment offered in the store.

Can I play on both the RIFT Prime server and RIFT live servers with the same account?
Your account works for all RIFT servers, though the two server types are separate. Items are not shared between servers and players cannot transfer characters between the two. Account-wide unlocks obtained on RIFT live servers are not accessible on the RIFT Prime server.

Can I use my RIFT live server characters on the RIFT Prime server, or vice versa?
RIFT live server characters cannot access or be transferred to the RIFT Prime server. Characters created on the RIFT Prime server cannot be accessed or transferred to RIFT live servers during the progression of the RIFT Prime server.

RIFT has a class system that basically revolves around using three of the many, many, many subclasses together. Basically everyone is useful to some degree or another, and for full raids, you want basically everybody. They're very derivative of WoW but also all have slightly unique twists which make them distinct classes.

here is a good example of the height of RIFT raiding, and as far as the progressive server is supposed to go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYNUdroTCn0

here is the first guide to character creation and the beginning that i was able to find on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zyDe3znjlQ

post here if you're into the old school incarnation of RIFT which was super good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

It may have been good but it's not anymore and a sub for an old neglected game sounds like an attempt to imitate the symptoms of success rather than doing anything productive. Trion is a garbage company that ran out of talent and isn't capable of producing anything good so the new extortion scheme is dumb as poo poo but will probably be popular among nostalgic suckers for a few weeks.

Shy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 14, 2018

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

oh disregard it's already out for a week and nobody noticed. rip

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Its sad how far Trion has fallen. Back in 2011 when Rift launched everyone thought they were going to really change things by being a different kind of MMO developer. Since then theyve become one of the sleaziest game developers out there. I really dont get how a company can change that drastically in seven years.

Anyways, this would be interesting if was run by a company that wasnt Trion.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

My experiance with trion started with..... that shooter game, that had a movie.

I enjoyed it for a bit and the company seemed pretty alright.

Then i played archeage.

Then i did a credit card charge back.

It is safe to say anything trion touches is a half hearted attempt at pretending they were polishing the turd.

(Edit; No turds will actually be polished. I need to stress this. But they will tell you that their arms are so tired from all the polishing that is going on.)

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 15, 2018

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

I see they had a server name contest and the best people could come up with is "Vigil"...

Anyways, time to spend $15 to relive duracell cleric and then quickly realize the good days are never coming back. :negative:

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

CoffeeBooze posted:

Its sad how far Trion has fallen. Back in 2011 when Rift launched everyone thought they were going to really change things by being a different kind of MMO developer. Since then theyve become one of the sleaziest game developers out there. I really dont get how a company can change that drastically in seven years.

Someone posted Trion were burning through investor money so they looked professional while the money lasted. I think that's the most probable explanation.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Kenby posted:

I see they had a server name contest and the best people could come up with is "Vigil"...

Anyways, time to spend $15 to relive duracell cleric and then quickly realize the good days are never coming back. :negative:

Yeah I have a 29 rogue on this server and people are complaining about Saboteur being OP despite the fact that it is nowhere near as broken as it was back in 2011. Cleric tanks are still pretty amazing with the current state of the game.

The server is fun so far but the exp curve is super hosed up. Back in the day you could level primarily through questing with a little PvP/dungeons/rifts thrown in. On this server the quests in the 25+ zones give you a total of around 1 level, and then you have to grind 3 levels using whatever method you chose (most people join dungeon trash grind groups). Trion buffed exp gains yesterday but it's still grindy as gently caress. They launched this server without testing a lot of poo poo and trying to use the live version of the game as much as possible which has resulted in a lot of balance/progression issues.

That being said, I'm still having fun and want to at least get 50 to do the expert dungeons and raids. The level 50 version of HK no longer exists because they turned it into a 65 raid and apparently don't have any of the code/numbers/etc for the 50 version any more so it might not be available lol. One employee is currently trying to manually reverse engineer it. Trion!

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Rift was the most generic themepark MMO ever. I had the realization the other day that I spent 1000+ hours on this game and remember literally nothing about it except Hammerknell (which apparently according to the last poster is not in the game so hey).

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I really, truely loved this game back in the day, had a great clan doing all the content with my massively overpowered cleric.

But if they think I'm paying $15 a month to play a game I already bought and subbed to for so long, they're out of their loving minds.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Doing the raids up to Hammerknell (or whatever the one with Akylios was) in RIFT was the most fun I've ever had in an MMO and I'm stoked to do Cleric healing again, which was uniquely very cool as a Purifier/Warden. I haven't paid anything for it yet cus they give people with existing characters some amount of Patron time so if you don't want to pay but do want to try the new server log in to your old character in normal RIFT and it'll unlock the server for you.

My buddy and I got into a guild thats planning on raiding ASAP but I would love to stitch together a goon guild or group or something. I'm Edmund in game, only like level 15 Cleric, but I'm gonna do some dungeons tonight

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Rift raiding was decent (not excellent) for its time but two things happened. The quality of Rift raids went wayyyyyyyy down (hello fighting Akylios 13 times, that ice mountain raid that was flat-out broken and then when it wasn't it was just flat-out bad, Crucia yet again, lots and lots of other examples) and the quality of other games' raids went up.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I admit, I really want to try this since I missed out on leveling up with a dungeon finder. The RIFT dungeons were super cool from what I did run tho. The raids always looked super fun as well.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Givin posted:

I admit, I really want to try this since I missed out on leveling up with a dungeon finder. The RIFT dungeons were super cool from what I did run tho. The raids always looked super fun as well.

I definitely remember enjoying the low level dungeons and their level 50 expert mode counterparts. I'm about to do the level 15 dungeon now so we'll see if I'm remembering correctly or nostalgic

The exp is a little odd, for sure, like, I'm about four levels lower than quest mobs and I just completely ran out of quests. It's easy to forget that you're expected to do a lot of RIFTs, they incentivize the poo poo out of those. Later on I remember farming the hell out of them for sockets in the stat machine thing slot, which you couldn't get anywhere else.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Out of curiosity I went to check it out on their store, and to see how Trion could gently caress this up.

So is the Primogenitor Pack esentually two months of game time(a 30 day and two 15 day codes), a mount and some swag?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Givin posted:

Out of curiosity I went to check it out on their store, and to see how Trion could gently caress this up.

So is the Primogenitor Pack esentually two months of game time(a 30 day and two 15 day codes), a mount and some swag?

Yes. Only worth buying for being the same price as subbing for two months if you think you'll play that long. The free mount is a nice perk to start with.

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

Frog Act posted:

I definitely remember enjoying the low level dungeons and their level 50 expert mode counterparts. I'm about to do the level 15 dungeon now so we'll see if I'm remembering correctly or nostalgic

The exp is a little odd, for sure, like, I'm about four levels lower than quest mobs and I just completely ran out of quests. It's easy to forget that you're expected to do a lot of RIFTs, they incentivize the poo poo out of those. Later on I remember farming the hell out of them for sockets in the stat machine thing slot, which you couldn't get anywhere else.

Oh man, that dumb spider in darkest deeps that would always web the healer and the pubbies would never help you get people out.

Not sure why they screwed with xp.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Frog Act posted:

I haven't paid anything for it yet cus they give people with existing characters some amount of Patron time so if you don't want to pay but do want to try the new server log in to your old character in normal RIFT and it'll unlock the server for you.

I figured free what the hell since I paid money for this years ago, but I don't see anything offering it to me in game on a normal server. I can buy 30 and 15 day passes with Riftbux but eh.

Givin fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 16, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Givin posted:

I figured free what the hell since I paid money for this years ago, but I don't see anything offering it to me in game on a normal server. I can buy 30 and 15 day passes with Riftbux but eh.

Hm. Might be your old character isn't old enough? Either way I got no indication I would be allowed to play prime but when I tried logging into it it worked.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Looks like only certain people got that offer, at least according to forum threads. It's not by account or character age it looks like. My account was beta flagged and I had a couple 50s/60s from vanilla and Storm Legion and didn't get it.

Consider yourself lucky. I'll prob grab the 2 month pack thing just to have a mount from the get go.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Givin posted:

Looks like only certain people got that offer, at least according to forum threads. It's not by account or character age it looks like. My account was beta flagged and I had a couple 50s/60s from vanilla and Storm Legion and didn't get it.

Consider yourself lucky. I'll prob grab the 2 month pack thing just to have a mount from the get go.

Weird. Me and my friend I played with at launch both had free patron. I'm gonna buy the pack too anyway, since I'll be subbing and that's effectively the same only with a better mount and some trinkets.

I'm remembering why I enjoyed this game so much. Did the realm of the fae dungeon with a guild group a few times, with a mentor tank, and it was fun to heal and they implemented a new loot system where you get a blue for yourself off every boss, separate from the loot you roll for. The exp is also incredible, like five times faster than questing, went from 15-18 in a couple hours.

Really looking forward to getting into GSB and stuff again, the guild I joined is trying to cap out at about 30 regular players so we have a consistent raid group without slot competition.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

The individual loot sounds good until you learn that it only applies once per day at higher levels unless you burn P2W tokens. Hopefully they tweak it for this server some more.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Suprfli6 posted:

The individual loot sounds good until you learn that it only applies once per day at higher levels unless you burn P2W tokens. Hopefully they tweak it for this server some more.

Wow that's really bad no wonder everyone hates on regular RIFT

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Rift was good until it was really bad, which seemed to happen like overnight.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Is there an add on or setting where I can anchor tooltips to the mouse cursor?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Givin posted:

Is there an add on or setting where I can anchor tooltips to the mouse cursor?

I could not find a way to do it. I had to settle for just moving the tooltip anchor closer to the cast bar area.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Meskhenet posted:

My experiance with trion started with..... that shooter game, that had a movie.

I enjoyed it for a bit and the company seemed pretty alright.

Defiance. It was connected the Sci-Fi channel series of the same name.

It's getting a sequel. Somehow.

http://massivelyop.com/2018/02/27/trion-reboots-defiance-as-defiance-2050-launching-on-pc-and-console-this-summer/

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
More noob RIFT questions.

Where can I buy Harbringer at? I heard you could buy it for planarite instead of real life money on Prime. I'm guardian if that matters.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Givin posted:

Where can I buy Harbringer at? I heard you could buy it for planarite instead of real life money on Prime. I'm guardian if that matters.

Your class trainer should have it

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Defiance. It was connected the Sci-Fi channel series of the same name.

It's getting a sequel. Somehow.

http://massivelyop.com/2018/02/27/trion-reboots-defiance-as-defiance-2050-launching-on-pc-and-console-this-summer/

That's the one. It seemed ok. Nothing super special, but i couldnt figure out why higher numbers on guns made me do lower damage. So i gave up pretty quick.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Defiance getting a sequel-ish thing is good because the chance exists that PvP will return in its launch state, where everyone had a OHKO shotgun and a stealth ability (that also gave you 250% run speed). Man that was some dumb fun.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe itll progress in to a good game

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Blast of Confetti posted:

maybe itll progress in to a good game

Literally impossible when the entire code base has been regressed six years to the good part of the game

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

My biggest problem so far is the xp. Considering we're supposed to level through 7 years of expansions in about a year, I would think they would want to greatly boost xp. There's no way I'm doing that SL continent at the regular speed. That expansion was like the graveyard of alts for me.

Also wish they would change their mind and let us play primalist.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I forgot how much of a joke PVP was in this game. I mean, tier 1 and all, but the objective dude that has to die is lit up like a christmas tree, takes periodic damage to help him die and yet people still want to be the best DPS hitting any other thing.

Some of the worst I have ever played in any game, Tier 3 and 4 Warhammer Online included.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Meskhenet posted:

That's the one. It seemed ok. Nothing super special, but i couldnt figure out why higher numbers on guns made me do lower damage. So i gave up pretty quick.

It's because the level scaling was broken as gently caress, and also took into account the strength of every other player in the region.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I loved original Rift and the Nazgun guild was great. Hearing this doesn’t compare is sad :(

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

Givin posted:

If you didn't already figure this out, there's a new soul merchant for all classes right next to Cyril's throne in Sanctum.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

It's a pity that Rift Prime isn't using the actual souls the launch version of Rift had, instead it's using chopped down versions of the current (less interesting) ones.

Also I guess it's a pity Trion still actually ruinsruns the game instead of folding and someone else getting the IP.

Incidentally they're going to re-release Defiance again as Defiance 2050 later this year. If you've already bought it good news - you get to buy any and all cash shop purchases all over again from scratch. Trion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Its increasingly clear the way they rolled things back has left extensive balance issues around vis-a-vis the class structure from 2011. It's not too acute but it makes a few things different and a little weird, particularly with regards to healing balance and tanking and stuff. Like Clerics were crap back in the day but now they're inexplicably great tanks that require like no healing.

I'm also wondering a lot about the impact these new souls will have on the endgame, because looking at the new cleric healing soul, oracle, it has passives that are so incredibly powerful compared to the vanilla healing souls it seems almost like it'll be a requirement in raids

• Locked thread