Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

http://store.steampowered.com/app/464920/Surviving_Mars/

:siren:UPDATE: THIS GAME IS FUKKIN GREAT AND STEAM REVIEWERS ARE loving MORONS, TRUE FACT.:siren:

So I've been following the prerelease coverage for this for a while and it came out a couple of hours ago.

Launch Trailer

Review

Far as I can tell, it's a colony manager/city builder about colonizing mars. The difference is it actually looks really interesting. Like, I want to try this out, but obviously there are an assload of lovely colony sims out there and it's making me hold off hence I come to you, dear goons. Do you have this game? Is it good?

It looks really neat, with a nice amount of managing colonists/food/supplies and a randomized tech tree, plus endgame "mysteries" to play with which I'm mentally connecting to Crises in Stellaris. I also really like the retro-futuristic twist to the visuals with people living in giant glass domes. Haemimont have also been around for like, forever, and I'm sure I've played some of their other stuff.

Plus it's supposedly got a lot of mod support with Lua and I would guess something like the Cities Skylines asset editor? Can't find any info on this in detail.

If you have this game please tell me/us what it's like!

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

AAAAH! WHY IS THERE NO THREAD FOR THIS GAME! AM I GOING HAVE TO SLAP TOGETHER SOME LAZY rear end-oh here's a thread!

Anyways, played for an hour or so, it's a lot more in-depth than I got at first look, you have to manage resources (which involves actually shipping them about) and your colony starts with you sending a rocket full of robots to build it up. Looking good so far, bug I've only played an hour or so of a quick-start before screwing up.

Hints:
-Don't put your starting solar panels (or anything really) next to your initial rocket ship: when it takes off you'll basically nuke anything nearby due to the exhaust. (how I hosed up)
-Make sure to place a storage area near the start so your drones actually unload your rocket ship.

It feels pretty solid so far.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alkydere posted:

AAAAH! WHY IS THERE NO THREAD FOR THIS GAME! AM I GOING HAVE TO SLAP TOGETHER SOME LAZY rear end-oh here's a thread!

Anyways, played for an hour or so, it's a lot more in-depth than I got at first look, you have to manage resources (which involves actually shipping them about) and your colony starts with you sending a rocket full of robots to build it up. Looking good so far, bug I've only played an hour or so of a quick-start before screwing up.

Hints:
-Don't put your starting solar panels (or anything really) next to your initial rocket ship: when it takes off you'll basically nuke anything nearby due to the exhaust. (how I hosed up)
-Make sure to place a storage area near the start so your drones actually unload your rocket ship.

It feels pretty solid so far.

Fear not, I have slapped together some lazy rear end poo poo so you don't have to.

I admit I'm mostly interested in whether it's going to take off like Cities Skylines and whether or not it's got the mod tools to really expand on the core mechanics. Cos the core stuff looks really drat solid and the only thing I think that's making me hesitate is that I think this game could be amazing if it just had lots and lots of content to play with, hence the hope for mods.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I pre-ordered it yesterday thanks to my lack of self-control. Paradox gave keys to a bunch of streamers last week, and the game looked pretty solid in the few I watched. It is getting pretty decent reviews too, for whatever that is worth.

The thing that has me interested is their answer to the common late-game problem of city builders. The randomly ordered tech tree, the potential for disasters spiraling out of control, and the late-game Mysteries should keep things fresh at the point in most city builders where the only thing left to do is expand for the sake of expansion. In one of the streams I watched, a Mystery triggered where a space Bill Gates-type wanted to start moving mankind into space. The player had to start supplying materials in return for funding and new tech. He got hit by some unfortunate natural disasters right after sending off a rocket load of materials for the Mystery and started a death spiral as he ran out of stuff to make the repairs.

re: mods. From what they have said, it has potential. People have already changed values, made new radio stations, and imported new buildings and stuff made in Blender. It also has Lua scripting. There should be a pretty good mod scene if the game gets popular.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

"Man, this generic sci-fi is okay, but getting kinda generic after a while...hey what's this 'radio' button?"

Now I'm listening to a Chinese guy play country music :aaa:

Edit:
Oh god that sounds hilarious. Hopefully you left yourself enough funds to buy a second rocket ship
\/\/\/\/

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Haven't had a chance to play this myself yet, but I picked up a very important tip from watching a video of this on youtube:

Make certain that you actually bring some drones on your rocket. Apparently the game doesn't give you a warning if you remove all the drones from your loadout, and worse, the random loadout the game gives you for your rocket has a chance to just not have any drones in the first place. Which is kinda like starting a new fort in Dwarf Fortress but somehow embarking with zero dwarves.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Alkydere posted:

"Man, this generic sci-fi is okay, but getting kinda generic after a while...hey what's this 'radio' button?"

Now I'm listening to a Chinese guy play country music :aaa:

this developer is the same dev who made the modern tropico games (tropico 3 onwards) so i'm expecting a solid agent based city builder with a great soundtrack

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Banished: To Mars: Mod Friendly Edition?

poo poo. I might have to get this if goons keep saying nice things.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Astus posted:

Haven't had a chance to play this myself yet, but I picked up a very important tip from watching a video of this on youtube:

Make certain that you actually bring some drones on your rocket. Apparently the game doesn't give you a warning if you remove all the drones from your loadout, and worse, the random loadout the game gives you for your rocket has a chance to just not have any drones in the first place. Which is kinda like starting a new fort in Dwarf Fortress but somehow embarking with zero dwarves.

Reminds me of the old Outpost game. You could lose the game during game setup before ever landing on a planet.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

boner confessor posted:

this developer is the same dev who made the modern tropico games (tropico 3 onwards) so i'm expecting a solid agent based city builder with a great soundtrack

Oh yeah, it feels very Tropico once you get your settlers up and running. This is not a bad thing...especially since you have a very, very fine-tuned control over your immigrants.

Also, got the Empaths breakthrough which randomly has my colonists develop a new trait that is a morale boosting aura...that stacks. I think morale really won't be an issue this game.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I've just gotten a few hours play in, so here's my initial impression: It's rather good.

As you'd expect from the makers of the Tropico series there's a lot of focus on economic flow and management. Your little robot drones will happily run around hauling stuff to places and making things as needed, so there's plenty of room to optimise by careful positioning of stockpiles and drone controllers, but if you can't be bothered to think out every little bit you can always just use more drones to make up for long individual travel times.

There's not much in the way of a tutorial. There's no Penultimo here to hold your hand and stroke your ego, just a few popup hints every now and then. If you're not planning to keep tabbing to the wiki or sit in front of some youtube tutorials then be prepared the learn by loving up. I just built and populated my first dome, only to be told that if I want my colonists to work a metal mine the dome needs to be closer to the deposit. Still, the good news is my first breakthrough tech halved the cost of dome construction, so I might be able to get ahead of my concrete supply for once.

The basic gameplay loop feels good, hopefully the mysteries will make the endgame interesting (often a weakpoint of the genre) and given Paradox's usual approach to moddability and DLC this could well be a game that'll be near the top of my play list for some time to come.

Wyld Karde fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 15, 2018

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm an avid Civ VI player who gets bored and quits out of boredom around the renaissance era just about every time. I'm definitely interested in this new game.
And I really enjoyed the last Tropico I played too, I think it was #3.

Hopefully this keeps me interested enough to play though to the end.
Even if the end is a firestorm, or explosive decompression, or alien harvest, or maybe a happy stable new society?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The game looks very pretty but I've got an annoying graphical glitch where the menu interface keeps disappearing on me. I can't click on the buttons if I can't see them!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wyld Karde posted:

There's no Penultimo here to hold your hand and stroke your ego,

thank god

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I love civ V, hate civ VI and civ: BE. I love Banished and bounced hard off cities: skylines. I love survival games. I never played tropico. Is this a buy?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Didn't notice this thread got made. I'll echo my impression about the game that I posted in the paradox thread.

It's good - very pretty, and I like the focus on drones, but logistics is annoyingly limited. Trying to make a far-off outpost (for concrete, as an example) seems basically impossible because shuttles just kinda seem to work completely randomly. Transport drones are so stupid that they'll just let themselves completely run out of power on a route instead of stopping when they're low to recharge. I was kinda hoping that drone hubs would *expand* the range that drones work in, rather than drones being limited to the space of each hub they're assigned to. The fact that there's little/no interaction between domes is also kinda disappointing. It means you have to build a lot of the same building in each dome which kinda limits specialization (but they also encourage specialization with spires and the ability to limit which colonists with traits go in which dome?) It also makes finding out *why* their stats are dropping kind of a pain in the rear end, since the "planet-wide" average doesn't tell you poo poo. Selecting by the dome gives you a little more information, but having to select individual colonists is extremely tedious - maybe if clicking on the button next to the stat cycled through the colonists in the dome with the lowest of that stat? I liked the radio, but I turned it off pretty quickly because there's not much variety to each station. Randomized research is a neat concept, but by the end of my playtime today I was starting to feel really limited by just the basic dome, and I can't tell if I'm close to unlocking a bigger one. Exploration rovers serve basically no purpose, it'd be nice if they could help scan a sector.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 16, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pylons posted:

Didn't notice this thread got made. I'll echo my impression about the game that I posted in the paradox thread.

It's good - very pretty, and I like the focus on drones, but logistics is annoyingly limited. Trying to make a far-off outpost (for concrete, as an example) seems basically impossible because shuttles just kinda seem to work completely randomly. Transport drones are so stupid that they'll just let themselves completely run out of power on a route instead of stopping when they're low to recharge. I was kinda hoping that drone hubs would *expand* the range that drones work in, rather than drones being limited to the space of each hub they're assigned to. The fact that there's little/no interaction between domes is also kinda disappointing. It means you have to build a lot of the same building in each dome which kinda limits specialization (but they also encourage specialization with spires and the ability to limit which colonists with traits go in which dome?) I liked the radio, but I turned it off pretty quickly because there's not much variety to each station. Randomized research is a neat concept, but by the end of my playtime today I was starting to feel really limited by just the basic dome, and I can't tell if I'm close to unlocking a bigger one. Exploration rovers serve basically no purpose, it'd be nice if they could help scan a sector.

One thing I thought I noticed in the preview videos but nobody seemed to try, is that if they put the dome preview with the doors touching another dome they seemed to highlight? I figured that was how you connected domes together.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 16, 2018

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

One thing I thought I noticed in the preview videos but nobody seemed to try, is that if they built the domes with the doors touching they seemed to highlight? I figured that was how you connected domes together.

You know, I didn't really try that. I figured if "connecting" domes was possible they'd have little tunnels for it. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pylons posted:

You know, I didn't really try that. I figured if "connecting" domes was possible they'd have little tunnels for it. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

It's been bugging the hell out of me honestly watching the preview streams because they seem to miss a lot of important stuff, such as "being out of oxygen" and "having leaks everywhere" so I haven't been able to keep up with them :v:

I would have assumed they'd have a kind of passenger pipe too if it was possible but maybe not.]

E: Reading the steam forums suggests apparently you can't connect them, weird decision if so.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 16, 2018

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Pylons posted:

It's good - very pretty, and I like the focus on drones, but logistics is annoyingly limited. Trying to make a far-off outpost (for concrete, as an example) seems basically impossible because shuttles just kinda seem to work completely randomly. Transport drones are so stupid that they'll just let themselves completely run out of power on a route instead of stopping when they're low to recharge. I was kinda hoping that drone hubs would *expand* the range that drones work in, rather than drones being limited to the space of each hub they're assigned to. The fact that there's little/no interaction between domes is also kinda disappointing. It means you have to build a lot of the same building in each dome which kinda limits specialization (but they also encourage specialization with spires and the ability to limit which colonists with traits go in which dome?) It also makes finding out *why* their stats are dropping kind of a pain in the rear end, since the "planet-wide" average doesn't tell you poo poo. Selecting by the dome gives you a little more information, but having to select individual colonists is extremely tedious - maybe if clicking on the button next to the stat cycled through the colonists in the dome with the lowest of that stat? I liked the radio, but I turned it off pretty quickly because there's not much variety to each station. Randomized research is a neat concept, but by the end of my playtime today I was starting to feel really limited by just the basic dome, and I can't tell if I'm close to unlocking a bigger one. Exploration rovers serve basically no purpose, it'd be nice if they could help scan a sector.

Set up Trade Routes using the big RC trade drone. Your first dome should probably be food focused, put a food depot outside the dome. Set up another dome by metals, put a food depot outside of it and set up a trade route delivering food.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Set up Trade Routes using the big RC trade drone. Your first dome should probably be food focused, put a food depot outside the dome. Set up another dome by metals, put a food depot outside of it and set up a trade route delivering food.

I mentioned the big RC trade drone. The problem is it requires a lot of babysitting - it'll quite happily run itself out of power on a route and then AFAICT it's just stuck. Food wasn't really a problem for me because the passenger ships just brought in absolute tons of it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ah fair enough. Didn't know if you were taking about the little bots running out of power or not. For all I knew if you had too many little drones and not enough recharge stations you could have issues.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I've started a few games then restarted when I realized I had hosed myself. Remember to build your first dome overtop of an underground depot so you can actually extract it!

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I loaded up a cargo rocket with a bunch of extra drones, and it looks like they're still under command of the rocket. Is there a way to mass reassign their control point or do I have to do it one by one?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

metasynthetic posted:

I loaded up a cargo rocket with a bunch of extra drones, and it looks like they're still under command of the rocket. Is there a way to mass reassign their control point or do I have to do it one by one?

Once the rocket takes off again, they'll re-assign themselves to the nearest hub. Other than that, there's no mass reassigning.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
My first breakthrough tech (no mysteries involved, haven't seen anything 'weird' yet), after being on Mars for like, 2 weeks: Old people who die reincarnate into babies :stare:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

When you say this is a colony manager/city builders, do you mean something like the Anno series? I haven't played one of those in five years, and a Sim City type game in even longer.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
This game seems like it has a lot of promise, but I have so many concerns that's I'm really questioning whether or not to refund it. In general I'd say I like it, but:

1) As noted already in the thread, logistics is going to get annoying fast.

2) It's really slow going at the start. Even at maximum speed. Hard to say with only a couple of hours in but resource collecting on concrete and travel distance involved makes the pace feel mind numbing.

3) Unless a lot more stuff and interactions unlock as you progress, it really seems like the end game is going to be all about managing personnel on a fairly low level. I'm find with the Tropico system of consolidating people in the blocks/categories that you have to manage but right now the future of this game looks like it's a lot more granular than that. Which is not a good thing for me.

4) My not-actually-OCD is already being triggered by a number of annoyances. I built a bunch (6) of Universal Storage pads near my initial rocket, but the AI is apparently programmed to stock them up in parrallel. So my first concrete block delivery goes to the first pad, the second to the second pad, the third to third, and back around to the seventh back to the first pad. Aside from being crazy in general, it makes cleaning that up and moving resources around an incredible chore because you can't queue commands on your transport drone, and having it pick up "all" materials doesn't always actually work. Also there doesn't seem to be a way to remove power cables after they are built. Might be I'm just missing it or it requires a research option but I build a couple blocks further than I meant to and now I've got this stub of a power line end sticking out and it's driving me nuts. Minor stuff, but how in the world do you have not have the basics like an easy demolition tool and a command queue in game these days?

Edit:
5) Oh yeah, and the drone assignment thing. Got a lot of drones in a command station that only needs like 2, while another command station the next tile over needs 20 and only has 4.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Huh, I just set up a trade route with a RC transport unit and I watched it stop to auto-refuel itself from the grid. Perhaps it might help to have power nearby the endpoints of its trade route.

Also, you can use those transports to grab surface deposits that are out of your normal drone range! You can automate it too by setting up a trade route slurping up deposit.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Ciaphas posted:

When you say this is a colony manager/city builders, do you mean something like the Anno series? I haven't played one of those in five years, and a Sim City type game in even longer.

Yeah, it reminds me a little of the Anno series, but the production chains are much simpler and you're not constantly playing building tetris.

Also, the Martian radio announcer has an accent that sounds like a mix of Indian and German and it's messing with my head.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 16, 2018

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I'm enjoying this but I'm seeing some of the same tiny problems that caused me to quit Tropico over and over again. You guys pointing out the extra radio stations might stave that off for awhile though.

nessin posted:

4) My not-actually-OCD is already being triggered by a number of annoyances. I built a bunch (6) of Universal Storage pads near my initial rocket, but the AI is apparently programmed to stock them up in parrallel. So my first concrete block delivery goes to the first pad, the second to the second pad, the third to third, and back around to the seventh back to the first pad. Aside from being crazy in general, it makes cleaning that up and moving resources around an incredible chore because you can't queue commands on your transport drone, and having it pick up "all" materials doesn't always actually work.
You know where this gets really bad? Refueling spaceships. I want to rotate ships so I've always got one getting loaded with rare metals and fuel. Instead, the drones spread them out, even if I set the ship to forbid exports. So now instead of having one ship ready to and full of minerals, I've got 3 at half fuel and minerals spread out between two. This means when I send whichever one gets topped off first out and back, I'll get less cash and more headaches.

quote:

Edit:
5) Oh yeah, and the drone assignment thing. Got a lot of drones in a command station that only needs like 2, while another command station the next tile over needs 20 and only has 4.
This however I figured out; you can reassign drones by selecting them individually and right-clicking a hub/ship/rover. I don't think there's any way to batch reassign them but I might be missing something.

Maduo fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 16, 2018

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Fiddle with the rockets' priority. If you set one to a higher priority than another, then you don't have to worry about them fueling in parallel.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Alkydere posted:

Fiddle with the rockets' priority. If you set one to a higher priority than another, then you don't have to worry about them fueling in parallel.

Do this, also you can toggle the allow / forbid exports button on the rocket and it will prevent them from loading metals at all. One of my rockets has been parked awhile with prefab parts I'm not ready to unload yet, and despite being the only rocket on the surface for some of that time it's still empty of metals. Still couldn't stop them from refueling it, though.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I've done both of these things. My other two rockets are lowest priority and forbid, the one I want loaded at highest priority, But they're still getting regular shipments of fuel and minerals. Possibly because they're closer to the sources?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah I noticed with my rockets that the drones seemed to prioritize based on distance all else equal, not sure why the other 2 tricks aren't working for you.

Another spoiler regarding a breakthrough - maybe these don't really need spoilers but for now I'm enjoying the surprises: I got one that lets you place infinite power cables that require no maintenance, at any distance, for free, instantly without needing drones. So I built a long rear end power net to various parts of the map to let my rovers recharge at will. That, plus having a shuttle bay makes long distance surface mining (if you place a local depot for your mining rover to drop off at) more practical.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 16, 2018

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Nepal is amazing and was the nation I used to get The Sun Never Sets on the Indian Empire or whatever its called. Its nearly entirely military focused and its incredible

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I did find out that the game does have a generic demolish function, but it's buried in the build menu. It's the Salvage button on the far right of the Infrastructure tab, just select it and it acts like a destroy/demolish/whatever button from similar games. Very unintuitive, but at least it is there.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ciaphas posted:

its like a mix between tropico and banished so far. agent based and logistical, but not as punishing or logical as anno, and slow paced. it also feels more like rimworld or banished in that it's a resource production village simulator, and not a city builder. you have to build up to housing, and every citizen is special

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 16, 2018

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Game's cute. It's hella Tropico tho, to the point I'd say take Tropico and nix the banana republic charm and add sci-fi trappings instead and presto, surviving mars.

It isn't bad. I'd recommend waiting for a sale, though.

If nothing else the pacing on the game is very strange. It's slooow, to the point I'm honestly not sure how that got through QA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Pylons posted:

Transport drones are so stupid that they'll just let themselves completely run out of power on a route instead of stopping when they're low to recharge. I was kinda hoping that drone hubs would *expand* the range that drones work in, rather than drones being limited to the space of each hub they're assigned to.

If you have overlapping drone hubs and put storage in the overlap area, the drones on both sides will automatically transport resources to/from the overlap storage to build/maintain things in either area. You should be able to infinitely daisy-chain this for large areas.

I feel like the obvious thing the game is missing here is a cheap transport train, though.

Edit: Or, pneumatic transport tubes that can carry resources but also people.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 16, 2018